PDA

View Full Version : Let's read Life of a Wizard

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

pendell
2014-05-29, 05:08 PM
We have a consensus to use an illusion to help him to escape and to get him to teach us healing.

We discussed various ways to sneak him out. Illusion by itself wasn't enough, because the guild had mages on contract. Likewise, all the normal dodges and secret passages were out, since the Thieves Guild knew them all.

We were at a loss until Harrop reminded us of the Festival of St. Haddock (http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/194/2/d/Fish_Suit_1_by_Yukikoby.jpg).

So on the appointed day we all slipped into our fish suits and began parading through the streets, shouting and clapping our hands. Harrop was at his evangelical best, asking random passerby "Have you heard the good news about Blamorb? Can I share it with you?" He had the slightly fixed smile and wide eyes of the newly converted. As an added bonus, I threw in an illusion so that not only did we look like fish, we SMELLED like fish too.

We attracted quite a crowd as we meandered our way through the streets of Tornassa, but no one, especially no thieves, got too close. If there's one thing more frightening than religious zeal, it's when you add a healthy dose of smell to the whole thing as well. At one point I spotted a thief and pretended to stumble into him. When I came within a meter of him he vanished as if he had been studying conjuration himself.

Much later, after we had passed out of the city gates and were comfortably outside, we buried our costumes. Gorion was delighted with the caper and offered to pass on his skills. I accepted, and we spent many hours studying the different kinds of plants in the wild, which ones would cure a cough, which ones would act as an anesthetic, which ones would calm a wildly beating heart -- ironically, it seemed that medicine and poison were often one and the same, but the dosage levels were different.

Illusion: +10
Nature: +15
Healing: +15

I continued to hear terrible stories about King Gareth's reign. He had raised taxes every year since coming into power, but nobody knew where the money was going. Mack, my boyfriend, heard that he was stockpiling it in his treasury, then diving into them as if into a swimming pool (http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/35900000/Money-Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997716-350-259.jpg).

Public executions had become commonplace in the capital city, yet the dungeons were overflowing with prisoners who often had no idea what they were accused of. The execution of the elvish ambassador had mortally offended the Queendom, but the other nations were no fonder of him. People had already started to call him the Mad King at that time. It was a name that would be on everyone's lips as the years went on.

We had a very surprising visitor enter the Full Cup Inn during those times. She was in disguise at first, asking for a private meeting. We took her up to our rooms and she let the cloak fall. It was none other than Princess Emily, the King's sister! I was surprised that I hadn't recognized those beautiful deep-brown eyes.

"I'm afraid for my life," the princess stated bluntly as she flipped her long brown hair away from her slender neck. "my brother has always been troubled, but since he gained the crown, his moods are even darker. He's suspicious of everything and has become increasingly cruel.

He's planning to kill me. He doesn't want me to bear children since he has no heirs of his own. He's afraid that any child I have will become a threat to his reign."

"I intend to seek refuge with Melian, queen of the elves. I know they will grant me refuge in the forest."

"Elves." I said, bringing out my SPEW badge. "You can't trust 'em. We've all lost family to them." Harrop and Ilse grimly nodded.

The Princess responded: "This is different. The circumstances surrounding those attacks were unique. The elves are actually very trustworthy. Perhaps my presence there will also help to mend the bad blood between our nations."

"Or give them a hostage." , Harrop responded.

"This is what I am doing. Are you willing to help me?" She looked at us with pleading eyes.

Vote 83:
* I decided to take princess Emily to the elves.
* I decided not to help her.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-05-29, 05:18 PM
Never refuse a quest hook. I smell XP!

Help Princess Emily

Forum Explorer
2014-05-29, 05:35 PM
Help Princess Emily

I've never actually done otherwise. What happens if you don't help?

Cuthalion
2014-05-29, 05:59 PM
Loss of Good, probs.

Help 'er.

pendell
2014-05-29, 06:29 PM
I smell XP!

I think that's just the fish oil .

Help Princess Emily

I've never actually done otherwise. What happens if you don't help?

Never done it myself either -- the instinct for gallantry has always been too strong. I suspect all it means is that we miss out on the opportunities the quest might offer us.

I don't think we would gain evil points for the action. I suspect turning down a rich woman's request for assistance would be a neutral act in game terms. It's not like we're selling her into slavery (which WOULD be evil). At least in game terms, "neutral" seems to mean that you do nothing to make people's lives better without being compensated for it, and the choice of inaction is almost always neutral.

Whether that would fly outside of the game-verse -- whether inaction in the face of evil is a neutral act, or whether neutrality is a viable moral position in the first place -- is out of forum scope.

Does anyone remember Dragonlance? To me, "What is neutral conduct" can be summed up by the question: "What would Astinus of Palanthas (http://www.raistlin.ca/Characters/astinus-of-palanthas) do?" And, for the most part, that is neither to comfort the sick nor hurry their demise. Simply to let nature take it's course. The words "nature" and "neutral" appear to be closely related , at least in D&D and it's related games.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Koalita
2014-05-30, 07:49 AM
Help Princess Emily

pendell
2014-05-30, 04:48 PM
We have a consensus to help Princess Emily.

We looked over our equipment and trained in our skills before we left.

We have another opportunity to buy equipment and train our team. Currently, the only available option is to Train Harrop Otter. Since there is no downside to this and costs us nothing, I'll go ahead and do that.

Harrop and I trained for several hours in the ways of the sea. At the end of it, he had learned a few things.

Harrop : Cleric Power Level 7.

And, once again, the game nags us to get our team mounted.

Vote 84:
* It was about time we were mounted, so I bought horses for my three companions [needs 210 gold]
* We were forced to walk the entire way [Always costs inn fees; sometimes has other penalties]
* I stole horses for my three companions [needs 35 thievery]
* I summoned horses using my magic [needs 35 summoning ]

Once you've made the decision, we'll get the team rolling.

We left Tornassa with no trouble, heading due east. Princess Emily had done well; the king never knew she had left. We hadn't traveled far, however, when a group of bandits ambushed us on the king's road itself. This was no small band of kobolds, but instead a pack of 20 well-armored and well-trained criminals. It was another sign of the deteriorating state of the kingdom.

Vote 85:
* I created an illusion of a large group of the king's soldiers approaching [25 illusion; exercises illusion]
* I rode Hippocampus past the bandits.
* I surrendered, allowing the bandits to go through our gear.
* I created a burst of fire to burn them all [needs 35 conjuration]
* I talked our way through [needs 40 personality]
* I cast an enchantment spell that made them all forget what they were doing [needs 25 enchantment]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-05-30, 05:22 PM
We'll probably lose more gold than we'll save training Summoning for horses.

Buy horses

Since the only option that seems to let us win is Illusion, that is my vote.

Illusion

Cuthalion
2014-05-30, 06:16 PM

Buy horses

Illusion

Sec onded.

Forum Explorer
2014-05-30, 06:32 PM

Buy horses

Illusion

At this point it'll be a long time before we get a chance to get our summoning up.

so

Buy Horses

Illusion

pendell
2014-05-31, 07:12 PM
Very well. We're going to buy horses and use illusion on the bandits.

Although I had resisted, we went to see the horse dealer. My companions were very happy to have horses of their own, and it was a wise investment since we would be travelling long distances.

Gold: -210
Geography: +10

We left Tornassa with no trouble, but were beset by a large band of well-armed and equipped human bandits on the king's highway itself. Evidently the kingdom's security had degenerated badly during King Garrick's time on the throne.

We had few options, so I pointed behind them and shouted "Look ! A three-headed monkey!"

The bandits twisted as one man to see, not a three-headed monkey, but company of royal infantry, deploying for battle. Upon catching sight, the bandits immediately scattered in every direction -- which was fortunate, because the illusion was much easier to maintain at a distance, when I wouldn't have to make telltale details which might otherwise give the game away. Princess Emily was very pleased we we were able to solve the problem without killing anyone.

Royal Faction: +10

The remainder of hte trip to the Alderheart went smoothly, and the enormous ancient forest loomed up all around us as we entered. The path we took looked to be little more than an animal run, but Princess Emily assured us it was the correct way. We travelled for a few hours, and as we did the hairs on the back of my neck began to prickle.

I look at Harrop. He nodded. We were being watched.

Suddenly a voice called out! "DARO!" [which means 'halt!' in Elvish]. An elf stepped in front of us on the path, flanked by longbows.

Knowing full well that there were no doubt many more bows pointed at us that we couldn't see covering us from multiple aspects, we considered our next move.

Vote 86:

* I called out in my native tongue, telling them that we were friends. [exercises diplomacy]
* I greeted them using the appropriate formalities [requires 30 diplomacy; exercises diplomacy]
* I let Princess Emily speak for us [gets us in, but exercises no skill]
* I set fire to their trees, attempting to burn them all [requires 20 conjuration]

Since all of the possible solutions require a peaceful end to this encounter, we'll proceed a little further on that assumption.

The elven city was a wonder to behold; the trees themselves were enormous and ancient. I had never seen anything like it. They were thicker than a man was tall and had shimmering silver leaves. Wooden bridges and spiraling walkways connected platforms high above us, and everywhere I looked I saw elves.

We were brought before the high seat of Queen Melian.

"Vedui, creoso a Oneiduin" [greetings, welcome to Oneiduin], spoke the Queen.

"Le fael Glassui" [thank you from my heart], replied the Princess, surprising me with her Elvish language skills. "I am eternally grateful for your hospitality."

The queen signed, and the princess was given a room inside the gigantic tree which served as the castle of the elves. We also were given comfortable rooms. We stayed in Oneiduin for several weeks while the princess settled in.

Vote 87:
* I spent the days talking to the elves and learning their ways [collecting intelligence on them] [exercises non-magical skills]
* I spoke with the elven spell-binders, learning their magic [exercises a variety of magical skills]
* I spent the days hiding in my room and studying my magic; I didn't want anything to do with the elves [gives +2 bonus to all magical skills -- you will get a larger bonus from talking to the elves but I think in 2 fewer disciplines]
* I snuck around the elven city, stealing everything that wasn't nailed down [needs 30 thievery]

I reacted to the elvish city ...

Vote 88:
* I felt like I was one of them . [improves elf faction and a variety of bonuses]
* I preferred human cities. [bonus to sum non magical skills, elf faction penalty]

Near the end of my stay , I found Princess Emily alone in one of the gardens. The flowers were in bloom, and she looked very pretty, though a bit melancholy as she sat on a wooden bench amongst the green foliage.

Vote 89:
* I talked to her and tried to cheer her up.
* I called her a coward for leaving the kingdom.
* I flirted with the Princess [needs 40 personality]

One evening I received a message that if I came to the gardens, I would find some useful information. I entered the area, and there was none other than the queen herself! In front of her was a clear pool.

"I know that you hate us because your village was burned, and I thought you would appreciate some ... context.

She gestured, and scenes played in the water as she spoke.

"It started with a band of kingdom loggers.", she began. "They were clearcutting the woods and penetrated deep into the Aelderwood. We warned them off, and sent messengers to King Norbert asking him to call them off. For whatever reason, he refused to listen.

The water changed and showed the elvish council chamber. There were lots of angry shouts and whispers, but the Queen commanded them to find a peaceful solution. One of them, a tall, gray-haired lord, had a gleam in his eyes as of fire. He turned and walked out.

"Lord Numarri", she said. "He decided to take matters on his own hands and launched an all-out attack on the kingdom."

I saw him leading his troops, commanding them to slay the human vermin to the last man, woman, and child.

"When I learned of this, I did what I could to stop him, and to make amends."

As I watched Lord Numarri give his orders, figures in mottled green descended from the trees around him. He was shot by a needle and carried away. As the guards turned, one of the elves showed what was obviously a royal seal and barked orders. The armies turned and marched away.

The next scene showed Lord Numarri , bound, in the very throne chamber we had been welcomed in. Next, the scene shifted to him kneeling over a wooden block as an axe came whistling down.

"Later, we learned that King Norbert had never learned of our concerns because the messenger had been intercepted and concealed by one of his Dukes, who had an interest in the logging. We sent Numarri's head to King Norbert, along with tens of thousands of gold pieces in reparations. Lord Helric, whom you may remember, saw that the message was delivered to the king and the Duke's complicity known. The duke was executed, and we signed a peace treaty that has so far held for ten years -- until Helric was executed just this year." Her mouth twisted at that.

"I know this won't bring your friends or your village back. But you ought to know it. We don't need a world in which elves and humans kill each other. And if you get the opportunity, I would ask of you a favor: We still haven't been able to agree to decent boundaries with your kingdom. Your loggers MUST observe them .There is more in these woods than elves -- there is a magical moon glade also, and if naive humans tread there they may bring upon themselves something far worse than elvish arrows -- something down on them, and on ourselves."

I thanked the queen, bowed, and took my leave. I needed to process her words, but as I did so, the thought ran through the back of my mind ... a magical moon glade of great power? Really?

Vote 90
* My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to see the glade again with my own eyes.
* I hated the elves for what they had done to my village, so I decided to go to the glade to see if I could damage it in some way.
* I decided to stay away from the glade.

Votes in! As usual, if we get less than 3 votes by 5:30PM tomorrow, I will delay until Monday. Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Koalita
2014-06-01, 12:37 PM
* I greeted them using the appropriate formalities [requires 30 diplomacy; exercises diplomacy]

* I spoke with the elven spell-binders, learning their magic [exercises a variety of magical skills]

* I felt like I was one of them . [improves elf faction and a variety of bonuses]

* My curiosity got the better of me, so I decided to see the glade again with my own eyes.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-01, 06:07 PM

*I prefered human cities

Targ Collective
2014-06-01, 06:45 PM

smuchmuch
2014-06-01, 07:55 PM

(Aren't we a self loathing elf who hate elves because they sacked our village and bonded with our group cleric and college budy over our best friend on account of our mutual hatred of elves ? This option feels pretty out of character doesn't it ?)

And we really need more personality, it's sad how many options are blocked due to us having the charisma of a boiled vegetable.

Cuthalion
2014-06-02, 08:47 AM

Yep. :smallsmile:

pendell
2014-06-02, 09:33 AM
(Aren't we a self loathing elf who hate elves because they sacked our village and bonded with our group cleric and college budy over our best friend on account of our mutual hatred of elves ? This option feels pretty out of character doesn't it ?)

And we really need more personality, it's sad how many options are blocked due to us having the charisma of a boiled vegetable.

That's what we were at 12 years old. Remember that up to that time the only elves we had encountered were our parents, who loathed us, and a raid.

Since then, we've gone to college in a racially tolerant environment and now, for the first time, we're actually seeing Elves at home.

It's not out of character for a person to evolve their viewpoint over time. Or is our character to forever hate all elves, everywhere, because of something that happened when she was a child?

IRL, my father hated dogs because one jumped him as a child. Now he's on his second. Because he's not the same man now that he was as a toddler.

People grow, and change. And we don't have to allow our childhood tragedies to define us. Not that we don't have to make that kind of character -- we can, and it is plausible -- but I also don't think it's necessarily out-of-character for a being with 70+ good -- who was counseled, remember, about this very thing during religious conversion -- to re-think their childhood hatreds.

Essentially, we can do what we want with this character. If we want her to have a change of heart, we can lay the backstory and flavor to make it plausible. But we can also allow her to continue to be unforgiving, if that's the way we want to take this. I'm doing my best to keep all options open for you guys :).

Additional comment: As a rule, withdrawing from other creatures and being a loner frequently comes with a personality penalty. By contrast, being nice to people and flirting etc. improve personality. So if we want Koi to have more personality than a boiled ... fish, we have to find excuses for her to be nice to people, even if she does have good and sufficient reason to hate them. :)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-06-02, 05:19 PM
We have a consensus to:

BTW, off topic but still interesting (http://www.realclearscience.com/video/2014/06/02/nemo_is_a_hermaphrodite.html) .

I knew the proper words and customs. The elves were happy to see someone knowledgeable about their heritage and escorted us to their city. It was a wonderful place.

Elf Faction: +20
Diplomacy: +10

While the princess settled in, I spoke with the elvish thaumaturgists. The way they worked nature into every aspect of their magic was fascinating. They were impressed with my own magic, which was growing very strong through study and practice.

Alchemy: +5
Healing: +5
Summoning: +5
Transmutation: +10

Strange. I had hated the elves for so much of my life, but seeing their kindness to the Princess, seeing the way they lived their lives -- it made me call into question many of the things I had taken for granted as a child. Perhaps SPEW could still stand against wrongdoing -- but to IMPROVE the elvish people rather than to DESTROY them. In fact, considering her punishment of the rogue noble who had attacked our village, it seemed Queen Melian was as opposed to elvish wrongdoing as we were!

Nature: +10
History: +10
Agriculture: +10
Elf Faction: +10

Near the end of my stay with the elves, I found princess Emily alone in the gardens. The flowers were in bloom, and she looked very pretty, though a bit melancholy as she sat on a wooden bench amongst the green foliage.

I sat down next to her. "Something wrong?"

"I've left my family and my home to live among strangers. And my brother ... my own brother ..." her eyes misted a bit.

I laid a hand on her arm. "This isn't forever. Maybe we can get the king to seek medical attention. He's clearly not well. Just because today is cloudy doesn't mean the sun won't come tomorrow."

She smiled a bit at that. "Thank you."

Personality: +5
Royal Faction: +10

Not long afterward, Queen Melian brought me to a secret bower and explained to me the sad history behind the last elvish war -- how a hotheaded rogue had attacked the human kingdom to prevent the loggers from disturbing a glade of great power. I listened, but the thought that I couldn't shake as ... a magical glade of great power? Really?

Might as well wiggle a worm in front of a hungry piranha.

Vote 91:
* I used my magic sight to uncover the location of the glade [needs 30 divination; exercises divination]
* I studied a map and figured it out [requires 25 geography; exercises geography]
* I tracked the elves to the glade [needs 30 nature; exercises nature]
* I followed my sensing of the magic [needs 30 arcana; exercises arcana]
* I had no idea where the moon glade was [fail]
*I asked a few friendly elves where the glade was [needs 30 elf faction ]

Since we have multiple success options, I assume we're going to find the glade.

I left the trees of Oneiduin and used an illusion to disguise myself as I walked through the trees. It took a little time, but I soon found the glade. A shimmering pool of magical water glowed in front of me. It was the same color of the moon itself. So ... that would make this the "moon glade"?

I didn't have a lot of time, so I had to be quick.

Vote 92:
* I took a sample of the glowing water and rank it myself.
* I bathed in the magical waters.
* I stood up in it to my ankles, getting my boots wet.
* I analyzed the water, hoping to glean some insight into its magical nature.
* I did nothing but admire its beauty.

Once I was finished ...

Vote 93:
* I left the glade as I found it, respecting the elves and forgiving them for what they had done to my village.
* I desecrated the moon glade as best I could, hoping it would greatly hurt the elves.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-06-02, 05:42 PM
Hrm.

So many success options to choose from.

I select Divination.

Bathing. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Left the glade as found. Time to abandon this petty feud with the Elves once and for all.

Cuthalion
2014-06-02, 05:48 PM
Hrm.

So many success options to choose from.

I select Divination.

Bathing. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Left the glade as found. Time to abandon this petty feud with the Elves once and for all.

Agreed. :smallsmile:

Forum Explorer
2014-06-02, 07:27 PM
Divination
Bathing
Forgave the Elves

It wouldn't make sense to suddenly go back and start hating the elves after enjoying their company.

smuchmuch
2014-06-03, 03:18 AM
That's what we were at 12 years old. Remember that up to that time the only elves we had encountered were our parents, who loathed us, and a raid.

Since then, we've gone to college in a racially tolerant environment and now, for the first time, we're actually seeing Elves at home.

It's not out of character for a person to evolve their viewpoint over time.

(Oh I don't disagree with that but there's quite a step from 'I forgave them' to 'I suddenly felt like one of them'. Especialy since the character was still spouting her hatred of elves quite recently (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17515060&postcount=216) by your own narration, so such a big change of heart comes as really sudden.
But it is but a small detail I felt like pointing out, pay no heed)

Maybe it's a magical glade blessed with the power of eighties afterschool specials, it cures prejudice, self loathing and childhood trauma :smalltongue:

Koalita
2014-06-03, 05:08 PM
+1 to the consensus option. Btw, is it possible to update our status? Thx :)

pendell
2014-06-03, 05:16 PM
We have a consensus to:
* Find the glade by divination.
* Bathe in the water.
* Forgive the elves.

I recited the words of power and, guided by an intuitive sense rather like a compass, I soon found my way to the moonlight glade.

Divination: +10

I stared, wondering, at the pool, and after a few minutes disrobed and stepped in. I could feel the magic washing over me, erasing all tensions, healing all wounds. I could swear I heard a strange music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-QFqPN0b74) as I bathed, and I was overwhelmed by feelings of compassion for my once-enemies, and forgave them. After putting my robes back on, I left the glade as it was.

Body: +20
Elf Faction: +50
Good: +3

It was soon time to go; Princess Emily was settled into her new home, and I as no longer needed The elves were very gracious and honored me with many praises when I left. I would never my time among them. We returned to Tornassa, leaving the princess behind.

As we prepared to depart, the princess offered us our reward for helping her escape from her brother.

Vote 94:
* I accepted the reward.
* I demanded more money; after all, what I had done would be considered treason.
* I told her that no reward was necessary.

Rumors of the princess having left the castle were rampant when I returned. Luckily, King Gareth never connected it to myself or my party. It was easy to see that the princess was correct; had she stayed, she likely would have been imprisoned or killed. Four years went by as we continued to do various jobs for various clients.

I continued to study a little bit of everything.

Alchemy: +3
Conjuration: +3
Divination: +3
Enchantment: +3
Healing: +3
Illusion: +3
Necromancy: +3
Summoning: +3
Transmutation: +3

I was careful to study other things as well.

Vote 95:
* I studied arcana [arcana: 35]
* I studied agriculture [agriculture: 10]
* I studied diplomacy [diplomacy: 65]
* I studied economics [economics: 20]
* I studied fighting [fighting: 60]
* I studied geography [geography: 40]
* I studied history: [history: 35]
* I studied nature [nature: 72]
* I studied religion [religion: 45]
* I studied smithing [smithing: 0]
* I studied thievery [thievery: 10]
* I studied warcraft [warcraft: 15]

I wasn't the only one who used my spare time to improve their skills. All of my companions continued to train and practice. Although they did well..

Vote 96:
* Mr. Pump improved the most [+1 Mr Pump. Current Power 9]
* Ilse improved the most [+1 Ilse. Current Power 5]
* Harrop Otter improved the most [+1 Harrop. Current Power 7]
* No one stood out as improving the most [does not improve your friends. DOES increase fighting, thievery, and healing]

NOTE: Remember that the mid-game quest requires each of your friends to be minimum power 6.

King Gareth's atrocities grew as the Kingdom of Daria continued to fall apart. I saw more beggars and homeless people on the streets than ever before. Rumors of Princess Emily's exile gave the people hope, especially when gossip began to proclaim that she had married her childhood sweetheart, Duke Peter, and had a child with him. This was monumental. The current heir to the throne was now living in exile with the elves.

It was probably for this very reason that the king married. The new queen was a young woman named Janice. We continued to work out of the Full Cup Inn as the years passed, taking on many adventuring jobs and building a name for ourselves.

I was 30 years old when I got a royal summons to meet King Gareth, who was now 40.

Uh-oh ... immediately after this paragraph break we have another opportunity to improve equipment and skills, but I can't do that until I know whether you accepted the Princess' reward, and what exactly you studied, as both may have an impact on those choices. So get your votes in for what we have now, and I'll run the equipment check next time.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-03, 05:27 PM
No reward was necessary
I studied Smithing
Ilse improved the most.

Targ Collective
2014-06-03, 05:46 PM
Agreed. Definitely agreed.

Koalita
2014-06-03, 09:54 PM
No reward was necessary
I studied Smithing
Ilse improved the most.
This
I was copypastying everything, preparing it in my notepad, and then.. bam. The same votes I was gonna do. Just for me to quote and +1 it :D

Cuthalion
2014-06-03, 10:33 PM
Indeed. :smalltongue:

pendell
2014-06-04, 05:06 PM
No reward was necessary
I studied Smithing
Ilse improved the most.

Very well.

By the way, I need to make a correction: I said that using an adventuring partner to solve a problem didn't improve them. This was an error. It appears that using them increases their power by 1. I will update the faq on the first page to make note of this. Nonetheless, from a gameplay perspective it's probably a good idea to emphasize your own skills. You won't always be an adventurer, so you won't always have your friends' skills to draw on. But until old age sets in your skills are yours forever.

Anyway, on with the story.

I told Princess Emily no reward was necessary, and she smiled in gratitude. I could tell she was very happy. The elves were also impressed by my act of kindness.

Royal Faction: +20
Elf Faction: +10
Good: +20

Four years went by as the rumors about King Gareth spread. Fortunately he never found out about our involvement in the princess' disappearance. Meanwhile, I continued my magical studies. I also

Alchemy: +3
Conjuration: +3
Divination: +3
Enchantment: +3
Healing: +3
Illusion: +3
Necromancy: +3
Summoning: +3
Transmutation: +3

I also added the study of smithing -- of the secret of metal and fire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKMG-FdCGtM) . I learned many things (http://www.cracked.com/article_20634_6-things-movies-get-wrong-about-swords-an-inside-look.html), which would serve me well in my own weaponcrafting.

Smithing: +25

My companions also trained and practiced. Although they all did well, Ilse improved the most.

Ilse: +1 current power: 6.

I was 30 years old when I received a summons to the king. We carefully looked over our equipment and skills before we left.

There appear to be no training options. So lets look at equipment.

Vote 97:

Mr. Pump:

* Craft the helm of battle insight [needs 50 divination, 25 transmutation, 15 gold]
* buy an enchanted sword [needs 2000 gold]
* craft an enchanted sword [needs 50 smithing and 50 transmutation ]
* Craft the Sword of Death [ needs 50 smithing, 25 transmutation, 50 necromancy]

Ilse:

* Buy an enchanted dagger [needs 25 gold]
* craft an enchanted dagger [needs 25 smithing and 50 transmutation]
* craft the Dagger of Sharpness [needs 50 smithing and 60 transmutation]
* craft the collection of poisons [needs 45 alchemy and 50 nature]

Harrop Otter:

* buy an enchanted mace [needs 2000 gold]
* craft an enchanted mace [needs 35 smithing, 35 transmutation, 35 alchemy]
* craft the Holy Mace [needs 35 smithing, 35 transmutation, 50 religion]
* Craft the Elixir of Wisdom
* Find the Ancient Holy Symbol [needs 30 geography, 50 history, 35 religion]

So our only real option at this point is the helm of battle insight, which will +1 Mr. Pump.

I was nervous at first, afraid he had found out that I knew about Princess Emily's escape nine years ago. When I arrived, I learned that wasn't the case at all. The king met with me in his private chambers, just the two of use. His eyes had an intensity to them which was unnerving.

Decision point 98:
* I met him formally as my king.
* I found the king very attractive, so I flirted with him [needs 40 personality]

There goes our opportunity to seduce the king . Ah well.

The king sat in his chair and passed me a goblet of wwine. I took it and waited to here while he had called me here. He explained, very frankly, that Queen Janice had not been able to give him an heir, not for lack of trying on either of their parts. She was physically somewhat frail, and had lost every baby early in the pregnancy. And if she DID succeed in carrying the baby to term, it would be at risk of his own life.

He fixed me with a penetrating gaze and explained, quite bluntly , that he wanted a living heir AND a living wife, and he was hiring me to make this happen.

I asked why he didn't go to Fraledan , the royal wizard. "We did", he responded, "but Fraledan is one of Marlin's star pupils. That means he can conjure meteors, see a thousand years into the future, and transmute water into wine, but he has no healing background whatsoever. He can't even heal a scraped knee."

Vote 98:

* I had just the required healing spell, and I agreed to perform the task [needs 25 healing]
* I didn't know any magic that would help, but I promised to look into it.
* I refused to help him.
*I could use my Necromancy to bolster the child's lifeforce until it was born. [needs 25 Necromancy]

Votes in by 5:30PM tomorrow, and I hope you're enjoying the game!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Fortuna
2014-06-04, 05:38 PM
Craft the helm of battle insight.
Meet the king formally (like we have a choice there).
Perform the required healing spell.

I'd just like to note that I would pay twice the game's asking price if it was available for computers as well as android devices, since it seems like great fun but I have no android device, and I'm not buying one just to play this.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-04, 05:54 PM
Craft the helm of battle insight.
Meet the king formally (like we have a choice there).
Perform the required healing spell.

I'd just like to note that I would pay twice the game's asking price if it was available for computers as well as android devices, since it seems like great fun but I have no android device, and I'm not buying one just to play this.

ditto this. :smallsmile:

Targ Collective
2014-06-04, 07:09 PM
Concurred. Including comment re. computers.

Cuthalion
2014-06-04, 07:59 PM
This is indeed the preferred course of action.

pendell
2014-06-05, 04:48 PM
All right. We craft the helm of battle insight and give it to Mr. Pump.

Mr Pump: Fighter 10

And we choose to help the king and his bride.

The next day, I spoke to queen Janice herself. It was a very private conversation, and over the next nine months I continually cast and strengthened her, monitoring her on a weekly basis. I also gave her a charm which would allow her to call for help RIGHT NOW if particular symptoms manifested. It was a long and rocky road, but at the end of it all of us were satisfied as Prince Eric, heir to the throne, entered the world.

The queen was ecstatic. The king was relieved, and handed me a largish bag of gold which, of course, I accepted gladly.

Gold: +300
Royal Faction: +25

NOTE: Your royal faction affiliation is now >100 and is thus maxed.

A few months after the prince was born, Princess Emily and her small family returned to the royal castle. Now taht the king had an heir of his own, the princess and her son -- Prince Travis -- were no longer in danger. The people of the kingdom were very happy, and everyone hoped that the two princes and the renewal of the royal family meant that our troubles were over.

As if. Things got even worse.

A few months later a stocky dwarf came to the Full Cup Inn and asked for a band of adventurers. He explained that his brethren in the Grey Mountains had delved too greedily , and too deep, and awakened a nameless fear. Our mission, should we decide to accept it, was to clean up the mess.

We did, and rode out to the Grey Mountains on our horses in late fall.

Geography: +3

We arrived at the foothills of the Gray Mountains in the late fall. I was worried about the weather, afraid that one good snowfall would trap us there for the winter, but we ventured forward anyway. Our dwarf guide led us through a grand arch and deep into the mountain.

"Welcome!" said Foli, King Under the Mountain, as he smiled at us through his thick beard. "We have no time to waste. The monster has stopped all mining and production."

He gave us maps to follow through the mine shafts where they had encountered the beast. We spent the night in the dwarven halls and left the very next day.

Vote 99:
* My divination magic led us there unerringly [requires 35 divination; exercises divination]
* I knew a little about underground phenomena [requires 40 nature; exercises nature]
* Although the map was subterranean, the principles were the same [needs 30 geography; exercises geography]
* We got miserably lost.

Since we have three success options, I'm going to assume we choose one of them.

The mineshaft had indeed broken into a much older tunnel. The dead bodies of dwarves were scattered everywhere; whatever it was had killed a great number of them. We proceeded forward cautiously. It wasn't long before we found the source of the problem.

It stood and easy fifteen feet tall, flames licking about it as it wielded a sword in one hand and a flickering whip of fire in the other. It had large horns on its head, thick leathery skin. Its eyes were flames as it approached, ready to burn and stamp and rend.

Vote 100:
* I hid a vast canyon under an illusion [35 illusion; exercises illusion]
* I had read about such a beast, and I knew it's limitations [35 history; exercises history]
* Mr. Pump charged the beast [needs fighter power 6: Exercises Mr. Pump]
* We had no choice but to run away, returning to the Dwarf Chief.
*I battled the creature with my strongest fireballs [needs 40 conjuration]
* I summoned a demon to fight for us [needs 30 summoning]

GAMEPLAY NOTE: The wings are vestigial. If lured into the canyon by an illusion it will drop like a stone.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I contacted the publisher about playing this on PC and got the following answer:

The Chrome store should get you exactly what you want. Run the Chrome browser, get the game from the Chrome store, play it in the browser.

That would be at this link (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/life-of-a-wizard/gdegfhpdhmajcafaaiheopicoamimoeg?hl=en-US), I believe.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-05, 09:38 PM
* I knew a little about underground phenomena
* I hid a vast canyon under an illusion

Fortuna
2014-06-05, 11:24 PM
By the way, I contacted the publisher about playing this on PC and got the following answer:

That would be at this link (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/life-of-a-wizard/gdegfhpdhmajcafaaiheopicoamimoeg?hl=en-US), I believe.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Bought in a heatbeat. Cheers muchly.

Oh, and I agree with Cuthalion.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-06, 12:26 AM
My divination magic lead me there.
I used illusions.

I am so sad that our summoning skill sucks. I blame all of you for this.

Koalita
2014-06-06, 10:01 AM
My divination magic lead me there.
I used illusions.

I am so sad that our summoning skill sucks. I blame all of you for this.

I feel the blame man.. :(

pendell
2014-06-06, 04:53 PM
Very well. We have a consensus to use divination and to use an illusion to defeat the creature.

It was almost too easy; we followed the tunnels like we had traveled them a thousand times before, going directly to where we were supposed to go.

Geography: +5

The mineshaft had indeed broken into a much older tunnel .. we found ourselves confronted by a tall monstrosity wreathed in flame and shadow.

Harrop looks at me. I said: "Here's the plan. We run."

"Run?"

"Yes. Ilse, I want you to taunt him and get him to follow you, then lead him back to that great cavern a kilometer back. I'll cover it with an illusion and we'll drop him in.

So we split, but not before Ilse jumped in front of the monster and started in on the taunting. "Is that your nose or a disease? Does all that heat come from STDs? Is it true what they say about ..."

We didn't hear the rest of it as the creature roared and pounced at her, but she evaded and fled swiftly. I broke and ran myself, and made it back to the cavern. It took some hasty work but in a few minutes the kilometers-deep chasm had been covered to resemble solid rock. Just as I finished the team ran past me into the tunnel behind me. I used a little more illusion to make myself glow as white as the noonday sun, and shouted. "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

The stupid creature ran at me, stepped right into the illusion, and plunged straight into the bottomless abyss. I could swore I'd seen this before and leaped back, keeping my eyes fixed on the chasm. Sure enough , a curling whip of flame came hurtling out of the chasm at me but Mr. Pump grabbed a hold of me and Harrop used Mr. Pump's sword to slice it in two. We never saw the monster again.

We returned through the tunnels. Lookouts spotted us and guided us with honor to the Great Hall, where we reported to the King Under the Mountain. After several weeks passed with no sign of the monster, he became overjoyed and declared a fete in our honor. He hugged each of us in his thick arms, laughing as he did so.

"Wonderful!", He exclaimed. "We'll be telling your tale for years to come!"

After a truly splendid few days of feasting, the King summoned us to his audience chamber to grant us our substantial reward.

Vote 101:
* I accepted the reward
* I declined the reward
* I demanded that they give us more, it has been a very difficult battle [requires 40 personality]

We left the Dwarven kingdom and headed to Tornassa.

The next summer proved to be very dry and hot, and all across Daria farmers were having trouble with their crops. It wasn't a full-fledged drought or famine, but it was a difficult year. A few towns and villages were hit worse than others, including my home village. I heard about their troubles from a letter I received frmo the mayor. It wasn't one of our regular jobs, but I took it anyway.

Hippocampus was happy to be moving, and so were the other mounts that the rest of my party were riding. It was an enjoyable ride as we travelled back to my home village.

Elmvale was much smaller than I had remembered it. I had seen many great things since I had been there last. The beautiful river that ran through the village was all dried up. My parents met us as we came in, insulting each member of my party in a condescending way before returning to their home.

We were given a room in the local tavern. We sat down with the mayor later that night to talk business. He said that the temple had used up all of their funds to help pay for food, but it wasn't going to be enough.

Vote 102:
* I brewed many potions which would allow the crops to grow with very little water [needs 30 alchemy]
* I summoned many water elementals [needs 25 summoning]
* I created a fake rain shower and fake healthy plants [needs 25 illusion; note that this doesn't actually improve anything so this solution earns Evil points]
* I didn't do anything to help my village.
* I conjured a rain shower [needs 30 conjuration]

Assuming we solve the problem ...

My entire village was overjoyed. They would not starve to death or go into great debt from importing food from other otwns. I was a local hero, and word of my deeds spread across the land. The mayor even offered me a small reward of 200 gold.

Vote 103:
* I took the gold.
* I asked for more money.
* I turned down the reward.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-06, 05:53 PM
We took the gold
We summoned water elementals
we declined the reward.

Cuthalion
2014-06-06, 07:28 PM
Accepted
* I summoned many water elementals
Declined

And we didn't use divination by majority....

pendell
2014-06-06, 08:01 PM
You're right. I've double-checked. Cuthalion and random_person voted for underground phenomena, while forum explorer and koalita voted for divination.

So here's what I'm going to do.

I'm going to roll for it -- as I should have done earlier, but miscounted -- and if the number comes up for geography, nature I'll roll it back. I've actually done this a few times , restart the game from the beginning and redo the decisions. That's why I keep the log of the decisions on the first page :).

So, in order of request:

Geography nature: 83
Divination: 56.

So tomorrow, when I do your current votes, I'll roll the story back and redo it with geography nature rather than divination.

Apologies, guys. This is what happens when you just finished troubleshooting a balky bit of firmware :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-06, 10:02 PM
No, you good. Ish fine.

Targ Collective
2014-06-06, 10:05 PM
Quest hook! Accepted! Yay!

Summoning! Vastly need practice! Yay!

No reward! 'Cause we're nice like that! Yay!

Blue Ghost
2014-06-06, 10:23 PM
Read through this thread, and picked up Life of a Wizard to see what it was about. It's fun. ^_^
Though achieving some of the objectives is quite difficult. But you're well on your way!

Accept the reward
Summon water elementals
Decline the reward

Cuthalion
2014-06-06, 10:58 PM
Bloogsies! Hello!

Blue Ghost
2014-06-06, 11:10 PM
Bloogsies! Hello!

'Ello~
I've been here the whole time. Just been mostly lurking instead of being active.
Speaking of which, Pendell, I don't think we've formally met. I've read some of your posts, and I admire the insight and warmth that you offer to the community. :smallsmile:

Koalita
2014-06-07, 09:10 AM
Accept
Summon
Decline

Fortuna
2014-06-07, 03:42 PM
Accept the reward
Summon water elementals
Decline the reward

Man, becoming the Archdruid is hard. I can do fine up until the bit with the crypt, but whatever I do there seems to be a good act. Any pointers?

Forum Explorer
2014-06-07, 03:54 PM
Accept the reward
Summon water elementals
Decline the reward

Man, becoming the Archdruid is hard. I can do fine up until the bit with the crypt, but whatever I do there seems to be a good act. Any pointers?

There are neutral options in those bits, but best way? Just don't go to the crypt.

Fortuna
2014-06-07, 04:21 PM
There are neutral options in those bits, but best way? Just don't go to the crypt.

...not going to the crypt is +20 good points. :smallfrown:

pendell
2014-06-07, 07:29 PM
'Ello~
I've been here the whole time. Just been mostly lurking instead of being active.
Speaking of which, Pendell, I don't think we've formally met. I've read some of your posts, and I admire the insight and warmth that you offer to the community.

A pleasure to meet you , blueghost. I'm not sure I deserve such praise, but thank you all the same. :)

So .. we have a consensus to ...

accept the dwarves' reward
summon water elementals for the village
decline the villages reward.

But first there is another order of business ...

As we prepared to leave the village we were surprised by a flash of light and a blue box suddenly appeared in front of us. Emblazoned across the top was the peculiar phrase: POLICE CALL BOX. A man wearing an elegant suit came out and said. "No time to explain, but history has gone wrong and you MUST come with me to set it right!"

I'm not sure exactly why we believed him, but we stepped into the box and found ourselves back in the dwarven mine. This time, rather than my divination, I knew a little about underground phenomena [40 nature] . The map was difficult to use, but with my knowledge of stalactites and stalagmites, I led the party to our goal.

We found our way to the totally-not-a-balrog in the mine and I was wondering if an illusion would work this time. As the creature prepared to attack us, a bizarre little metal cylinder charged up behind us and went directly at the beast, proclaiming one single word, over and over: "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Well, that was a bit strange, but we continued on previously as we had, back to the dwarvish halls, where we were again congratulated on our achievements and again offered a reward.

Divination: -10

We accepted the Dwarves' reward, which was a not-inconsiderable sum of money.

Gold: +1250
Dwarf Faction: +15
Fame: +1

We returned to our village which was suffering a drought.

I called on the good gods to send us a messenger to ease the plight of our village , even if my parents DID live in Elmwood.

It didn't take long for my request to be answered (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImRs-nWW48). I'm still not sure exactly what happened , but there was a blue streak and a giant explosion in the sky that looked like a rainbow and sounded like

KRAKOOOOOOOOOM!

after it passed.

And then, rain started to fall.

Summoning: +10
Agriculture: +20

The people of Elmdale were overjoyed. They would not have to choose between starvation and death. As my parents looked grumpily on, the mayor honored us in a celebration and presented us with 200 gold.

We declined the word, saying that it was the least we could do for the village that raised us. The look on my parents face was priceless -- sometimes living well is the best reward.

The mayor and the townspeople were overjoyed, as they had been forced to really scrape to get that 200 gold together, and now it could be put to much better use.

Good: +15

Koi's alignment is now 108 good -- achieving EXALTED GOOD status. Congratulations. Hope you can keep it. :)

My party and I packed our bags and left the village.

I was 32 years old when the great dragon Parnaxxus renewed his terrible wrath upon the land. King Gareth's reign
was tearing the land apart, and Parnaxxus was finishing off what was left. The fighters guild did very well through these years, gaining many contracts to defend villagers and merchants from the mighty beast. Mr. Pump , a dues-paying member of the guild as a free golem, was appraoched by the guild leader for a lucrative contract. When Mr. Pump explained that it was a package deal, the entire party was hired.

Lady Elwen, a blonde-haired woman in black armor and the chief of the fighter guild , laid it out for us.

"The wizard Curtiss, whom you may have heard of, hired us to provide security for his tower in case of dragon attack. I dispatched Hecton Squad and Acht squad -- some twelve men and women -- to fulfill the contract. Parnaxxus attacked the tower, killed them to the last man, then laid waste to the tower. At this point the mage Curtiss refused to pay. He claimed that, since we had failed, he owed us nothing. On the contrary, the contract clearly shows" -- she produced the document -- "that security of the installation is not guaranteed. All that is guaranteed is that our guildspeople will protect the tower or die in the attempt. This they did, to a man. For the sake of their families, and for the sake of our reputation, we insist on payment. The mage guild has refused to intervene, and the kingdom law is worthless at the moment, so we're tapping Mr. Pump to perform debt collection duty. He insists that you accompany him on the job, and I have no objection. Do you have any questions?"

After answering our questions, we reviewed our equipment :

Decision point 104:
Mr. Pump:

* buy an enchanted sword [2000 gold]
* craft an enchanted sword [50 smithing, 50 transmutation]
* craft the sword of death [50 smithing, 25 transmutation, 65 necromancy]

Ilse:

* buy an enchanted dagger [1500 gold]
* craft an enchanted dagger[25 smithing, 50 transmutation]
* craft the dagger of sharpness [50 smithing, 60 transmutation]
* craft the collection of poisons [45 alchemy, 50 nature]

Harrop Otter;
[indent]
* buy an enchanted mace [2000 gold]
* craft an enchanted mace [35 smithing, 35 transmutation, 35 alchemy]
* craft the holy mace [35 smithing, 35 transmutation ,50 religion]
* craft the elixir of wisdom [50 alchemy, 25 divination]
* find the ancient holy symbol [30 geography, 30 history, 35 religion]

So what this boils down to is: We can afford one magic weapon for one character. You can choose which one you wish to buy, if any. But the money you pay for one won't be available for the other.

Incidentally, magic weapons stack. So if you buy the enchanted sword, the sword of death's bonus will add on top of it, not replace it.

We packed up our belongings and left the tavern. The wizard was living in a tent outside the ruins of his tower, and mighty miserable he looked. Bricks, broken equipment, and scattered herbs lay everywhere.

"Why should I pay the guild for their failure?" Asked Curtiss. "Even if I wanted to, I can't. Everything I owned was in that tower, and it's in shambles."

Vote 105:
* We took the simple solution and paid the 1000 gold ourselves [needs 1000 gold; you will have to forgo the purchase of a magic weapon in the equipment check above to afford this option. There MAY be a nonfinancial
reward for the wizard if you do this, but I can't be certain. ]
* I spoke to the wizard.
* I explained to the fighter's guild that since the dragon had destroyed the tower, they were owed nothing. [needs 40 personality]
* I used my magic to make the magician pay his debt [needs 35 enchantment]

Assuming we speak to the wizard, what options does that open for us?

He was very reasonable, saying that the dragon had destroyed his tower and that he needed every bit of gold he had left in order to rebuild. He also said that it wasn't right that he would have to pay the fighter's guild when they hadn't been able to protect him or his tower from the dragon.

Vote 106:
* I attacked him, trying to force him to pay his debt.
* I gave up and walked away.
*I suggested that he sell his broken equipment in order to pay the debt.
* I talked him into paying his debt [needs 40 personality]

If we attack him, what options present themselves?

Vote 107 [if we attack him]

* I let Mr. Pump handle it. [Needs fighter power 6]
* I was defeated.
* I battled him with magic [needs 50 conjuration]
* I attacked him without magic [needs 70 fighting]

So essentially we've got three options: Pay his bill ourselves (if we do that, we'll have to skip buying a magic weapon), attack him, or give up and walk away.

Let your conscience be your guide, and I'll be looking for votes tomorrow at 5:30 PM. Since it's a weekend, if I do not receive a minimum of 3 votes by that time the voting will be extended until Monday, 5:30 PM.

Have a great weekend!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-07, 08:26 PM
...not going to the crypt is +20 good points. :smallfrown:

I meant not starting that quest at all. It's easy enough to not have a high enough history to find the thing.

Anyways

Buy Mr. Pump an enchanted Sword
Spoke to the Wizard
Attacked the Wizard
Mr. Pump handled things.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-07, 10:13 PM
Don't buy a weapon
Pay the debt ourselves

I think our party is strong enough for the time being that they don't need the boost.

Targ Collective
2014-06-07, 11:35 PM
Weapon BAD!

Pay debt

Fortuna
2014-06-08, 02:58 PM
I meant not starting that quest at all. It's easy enough to not have a high enough history to find the thing.

Anyways

Buy Mr. Pump an enchanted Sword
Spoke to the Wizard
Attacked the Wizard
Mr. Pump handled things.

No, I tried that. +20 good points.

I'll agree with your suggestions.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-08, 04:04 PM
No, I tried that. +20 good points.

I'll agree with your suggestions.

Now I'm 90% sure you're wrong on that one. Not being able to start the quest at all shouldn't give you anything.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-08, 04:27 PM
Actually, you don't need exactly 50-50 to keep a neutral alignment. I think 60-40 is the cutoff. So you can get away with minor good or evil acts, as long as you balance them out.

pendell
2014-06-08, 04:28 PM
Looks like we have a 2-2 split. One group wants to pay the debt ourselves, the other wants to buy an enchanted sword and turn loose Mr. Pump on the wizard. I'll roll between those two alternatives in the order they were suggested.

Attack the wizard: 34

Pay the debt ourselves: 69

Fortunately, we had decided not to buy any equipment in our last check, so we had the ability to pay the debt ourselves. We discussed among ourselves. Harrop went a long with the solution. Ilse objected, Mr. Pump abstained. We agreed to pay the wizard's debt ourselves.

Gold: -1000

We returned to Elwen and I handed over the 1000 gold without commment. She was in full armor and her face was invisible behind the mask, but her voice boomed as she congratulated us, and ask how we were able to persuade him. She directly asked Mr. Pump, and Mr. Pump related the events as they occurred with dispassion and precision.

"I have no complaints", she said. "Our reputation is saved, the guild's widows will be provided for, and Curtiss lives to rebuild his ruined life. Know you have the gratitude and respect of the Guild of Fighters."

She took out 200 gold from the purse and handed it back to us. "Your fee. You did the job, you get the pay."

Gold: +200
Fighter Guild: +20
Good: +3

The wizard Curtiss was likewise delighted with the solution. "I owe you my life." He said simply. "I was telling the truth when I said I had no ability to pay in money, but I do have some things you may find more valuable than gold.

He gestured, and a wooden case floated over from a corner of his tent. He opened it, and within was a wizard's staff.

"These are only given to postgraduates who have performed a great service to magic. I am an Angler of the Academy and I have the right to bestow that honor as I see fit. So, if you wish, I can grant it to you."

"Alternatively, as I said, I AM an Angler of the Academy, and I happen to know a fair amount about magic. If you wish, I will give you advanced tutoring for free."

Vote 108:

* I accepted the Wizard's staff [this is an artifact]
* I accepted advanced magical training [+5 to illusion, conjuration, divination, enchantment, summoning, and transmutation]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-08, 05:27 PM
I accepted the training

Koalita
2014-06-08, 06:19 PM
go artifact!!!!

Targ Collective
2014-06-08, 06:54 PM
Staff! Staff staff staff staff STAFF!

Forum Explorer
2014-06-08, 08:45 PM
More training!

pendell
2014-06-09, 05:20 PM
We have a 2-2 vote for the training or for the staff, so we'll roll for it in the order they were suggested.

Training: 82
Staff: 63

I opted for postgraduate training. They say that the university at its most elemental is a log with a teacher on one end and a student on the other. It wasn't quite that bad, but we had to do a lot of improvising , given that most of his worldly goods were now crowded into a tent. He still knew a lot of spells and I learned a fair amount , even under the bad conditions.

Illusion: +5 [now: 100 MAX].
Conjuration: +5
Divination: +5
Enchantment: +5
Summoning: +5
Transmutation: +5

Illusion skill is now maxed out. As such, you will receive no further benefit from exercising the skill. Thus, I recommend using alternate skills when feasible.

I remember the historic day when the entire kingdom shook from an enormous earthquake. While it was terrible at the time, it was only the beginning of trouble. Some weeks later, in the village of Scone, in southern Daria, their temple started vomiting forth all manner of dangerous monsters.

Many of the inhabitants died quickly. The kingdom dispatched its army and, while the soldiers were able to contain the menace, they were not able to penetrate the temple itself. It seemed the temple was only the tip of the iceberg -- a vast tunnel labyrinth had become connected to its basement. This massive undergrown dungeon became known as ...

THE ABYSS.

Many adventuring parties entered the Abyss in the hopes of bringing an end to the menace. While many parties were able to loot the highest levels and bring back treasure, none ever returned from the deeper levels.

We avoided entering the dungeon for many years, but eventually our growing reputation resulted in more and more people asking why we hadn't tried our luck at it, until eventually the shame became too much to bear. We had a powerful party with highly skilled members; it was time for us to give it a go. The only other challenge that took every member of my party's skill into account was our encounter with PARNAXXUS THE DRAGON, but that did not happen until much later.

We set out. Hippocampus was happy to be moving, and so were the other mounts that the rest of the party was riding. It was a nice ride as we travelled to Scone.

You had to credit some enterprising mind with the ability to find a money-making opportunity even in the midst of disaster: Scone was now a tourist trap. "Abyss rides", "tours of the abyss", guides wearing monster disguises were all over the town. In addition to the usual carnival attractions there was a thriving serious business aimed at the suicidal adventurer: Weaponsmiths, inns, taverns, and general stores to serve all your adventuring needs.

Given this, we had one last equipment check before entering:

Decision point 109: Equipment check
No training available.
Mr. Pump: No new options.
Ilse: No new options
Harrop: No new options.

Harrop led us in a service of thanksgiving and intercession to Blamorb, begging that wind and tide would be [metaphorically] with us.

And with that, as children and townsfolk waved and cheered, we set foot through the bronze, gaping doors of the Abyss into the darkness beyond.

At first, we didn't see anything besides broken pews and the old altar, desecrated and with foul symbols scrawled on it. Moving cautiously, we found an entrance to the catacombs beneath the temple and ventured carefully forth.

"Seems quiet", I observed.

"Maybe." Said Harrop. "why is the back of my neck prickling?"

I noticed the growing feeling of dread, and nodded. "I feel it , too."

We heard a clicking sound, like something snapping, and out of the darkness in front of us emerged a band of skeletons.

Vote 110:
* I let Harrop Otter handle it [needs cleric power 6]
* We turned around and left the abyss, ashamed our cleric had failed.

I'm going to assume no one wants to deliberately fail, so we'll tae that as read and proceed forward.

Harrop's face took on a determined cast. He whipped out his holy symbol and cried out "IN NOMINE ICTHYUS!" The skeletons, evidently horrified both by the holy symbol and the mangling of the ancient language, collapsed in a heap. Scarcely had the dust settled when Ilse was on her knees sifting through the remains for the sweet, sweet loot.

Gold: +135
Healing: +5
Religion: +5

The catacombs had very little dust or spider webs on them, which wasn't terribly surprising, since this was essentially a slaughterhouse with adventurers as the wide-eyed sheep. We found a rickety old wooden staircase and ascended down into the Abyss...

Vote 111:
* Ilse found a trap! [needs thief power 6]
* We tripped a trap, ending our journey into the abyss. Our thief had failed us.

Like we're really going to choose to fail. Continuing.

Ilse, who was on point, suddenly held up her hand. We all froze where we stood. She very carefully reached into her pocket and threw a scattering of sand down the stairs. Some of the powder tinkled in the air as it struck hidden trip wires.

While Mr. Pump stood guard , the rest of us had a sit down for several minutes while Ilse meticulously disabled a saw blade, a rolling ball of doom, a flue that led to a blast furnace, multiple throwing spear traps, and a container with millions of little fire ants. When it was done we came down to the bottom of the stairs where we were confronted by the statue of a demon with an open mouth. Ilse wanted to leap into it, but we restrained her and proceeded down the corridor. She noticed a hidden door which, when opened , revealed a treasure chest!

Gold: +190
Thievery: +10

At the end of the corridor we found a solid stone staircase with a light trace of moss that led us down to the next level. The hall was covered in the same green fuzz as the steps. I was worried about the dark, so I raised my hand and said "In the name of Blamorb, let there be light!"

To my dismay, the resulting ball of light lasted only for a second before the moss glowed brightly and the light instantly vanished. Evidently the moss would observe any loose thaumaturgic energy set off near it. Thankfully, the effect wasn't strong enough to drain the innate energy which kept us alive, or Mr. Pump's enchantment, but it DID mean I was now, effectively, a tourist.

As we pondered this dilemma, we were suddenly beset by a band of lizard men from both sides.

Vote 112:
* Mr. Pump fought them off. [needs fighter power 6]
* With my magic out of commission and our fighter unable to stop the attack, we had to leave.

I'm assuming we're going to choose success, so we proceed.

As Mr. Pump took up a defensive position with his back to the wall, the three of us bravely cowered behind him as best we could, whimpering occasionally. The lizard men charged , but the unleashed force of Mr. Pump was terrifying. The leader succumbed to a single solid blow. Mr. Pump then ripped off his arms and began using them as improvised weapons. The remaining lizard men soon decided they'd had enough, broke, and fled.

Once again, the last corpse had not yet hit the ground when Ilse was busily sorting through their purses, jewelry, and other personal effects such as a locket with the picture of a lizardwoman inside.

Gold: +215
Fighting: +5
Warcraft: +5

I was pleased to see that the magic-absorbent moss ended at the next staircase. As we descended, I felt an odd prickling sensation in the air -- there was great magic present. Gem-filled runes glowed along the wall and floor ahead of us, but a shimmering wall of force prevented us from going forward.

Vote 113:
* I used my knowledge of magic to dispel the barrier [needs 30 arcana]
* I failed my party, unable to do my job as the group's wizard.

Once again, I assume we succeed.

I studied the runes for several minutes and noted there appeared to be some kind of code involved. After a few attempts and some clever spell-hacking, I was able to solve the code and unlock the barrier, which dissolved before us. The glow faded from the gems, and Ilse once again began prising off the gems for eventual sale.

Gold: +285

I began to feel confident -- surely we had travelled farther than the other parties, at this point? Had anyone else managed to reach this depth?

We continued to press onward, and soon reached the next staircase. The staircase went down, down, down, until we found ourselves in a magma-filled room. There was tremendous pressure, heat, and poisonous gasses. The environment was extremely hostile to surface-dwelling creatures.

Vote 114:
* I used my healing magic to allow us to go further [needs 30 healing; exercises healing]
* I transmuted our flesh into something that didn't need to breathe and could handle both the heat and the pressure. [needs 30 transmutation; exercises transmutation]
* I crafted a potion of heat resistance [needs 30 alchemy; exercises alchemy] [and similar potions for the other effects]
* We all touched the ruby ring.
* We had reached the end of the line; the heat was too intense for us to continue.

Our first real vote -- given the amount of writing I've done, this seems a good place to stop for now. This is our mid-career quest! Get your votes in and don't miss the next episode in our exciting adventure in ... THE ABYSS.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-09, 06:40 PM
I transmuted our flesh into something that didn't need air.

Targ Collective
2014-06-09, 06:53 PM
Healing magic because transmuting living things is creepy.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-09, 07:33 PM
I baked a cookie crafted a potion of heat resistance

Koalita
2014-06-10, 05:19 AM
So our options are Transmutation 49, Healing 78, Alchemy 39. I think this presents another question as well, and it is about what kind of milestones we'd like to achieve with each skill. If we want to max a 2nd one ASAP, it'd be Healing. If we want to raise the lowest one so we can use it later, Alchemy. If we want to keep options open and think the needed level is 50+, alchemy or transmutation, leaning towards Transmutation.

For now, count me as I'll vote for whatever reaches a 2nd vote first

pendell
2014-06-10, 06:14 AM
Looks like we have another three-way split in the offing.

I don't really like leaving these decisions to a die roll, so here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to do the roll NOW.

Transmutation: 23
Healing: 93
Alchemy: 1

So ... at 5:30PM if nothing changes we'll go with healing. If anyone is unhappy with this, you have until 5:30PM to change your vote and line up a plurality for one of the other options :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

smuchmuch
2014-06-10, 10:18 AM
May I break the tie ?
>Transmutation.
We need to level up some of our lower magical skills but Im not sure if we'll ever have the time to level up enough the lower one (alchemy) so I'll pick the middle one.
Also, it sounds totaly metal :p

pendell
2014-06-10, 10:48 AM
May I break the tie ?
>Transmutation.
We need to level up some of our lower magical skills but Im not sure if we'll ever have the time to level up enough the lower one (alchemy) so I'll pick the middle one.
Also, it sounds totaly metal :p

By all means. It was precisely to break loose a tie-breaking vote that I posted the roll early :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-06-10, 04:53 PM
We have a 3-1-1 in favor of transmutation, but transmutation it is.

First, a word of explanation.
Fewer votes are being posted for update, because if I go past the first one, I have to restart the entire app and redo everything, re-applying the changes from the decision log.

That was very feasible in the first chapter or so. Let's be honest, childhood life was kind of slow and we all wanted to get through it as soon as possible. But now that we have all these equipment checks and hiring going on, a rollback puts more and of a burden on me. The last time it took more than an hour to write it all out, and I have a spouse who wants some of my off-duty time.

The long and the short of it is that I'm going to be doing a lot less rolling back and a lot more one-vote updates. The alternative would be to stagger the updates every few days, and I won't do that. One day. One update.

With that in mind, into the lava we go!

It took a moment to recall the appropriate transmutation, but within minutes are skin hardened into a transparent glass-like substance that didn't react to the intense heat around us. It was a bit unnerving to see all our organs functioning inside us, but it was enough to keep the heat away from us and allow us to descend into the Abyss.

Transmutation: +10

We continued going down, further than anyone had ever gone before. Finally, we arrived at the Heart of the complex. An enormous throne had been built from bones and skulls of previous adventures -- perhaps a shadow and a copy, a child's imitation, of the Skull Throne (http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Khorne). Chaos was breaking into the world through the Abyss, and it appeared to be our lot to stop it.

Sitting upon the throne was a gigantic beast-headed monster with blood red skin, and his muscled rippled as he moved. My demonology classes hadn't prepared me for this. I wasn't certain if we was a true demon, an evil god, or something else entirely. He began to clap as we arrived, and the sound of ominous chanting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzsRlnvmlY) filled the air, at last resolving to a great cry:

"BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!"

He leaped upon us!

BOSS BATTLE!

Vote 115:
* I crafted a clever poorly-planned illusion [needs 45 illusion]
* We ran away as fast as we could.
* I conjured a great blast of ice[needs 45 conjuration]
* A throne of skulls was foolish if you were facing a necromancer [needs 45 necromancy]
* I summoned a bigger demon [needs 45 summoning]

There's only one success choice, so I assume we take it.

Terrified out of my wits, I did the only thing I could think to do: Hoping the being wouldn't know the difference between Illusion and Summoning, I shouted: "SUMMON BIGGER FISH!" . Suddenly a giant fish appeared in the air before the creature. "BLAMORB!" not-Korne screamed. "YOU DARE TO ENTER MY DOMAIN!"

The monstrosity charged straight through the illusion into the wall. It's massive weight set off a tremor, and then we heard a massive RRRRUMBLE.

We fled as fast as we can , narrowly escaping the Abyss just as the entire thing collapsed, bringing the temple down into a crater and burying the ruins underneath -- the heart we had just been in must have been buried under a kilometer of rock.

The monsters stopped coming. We deduced that the earthquake had opened the temple catacombs, connecting it to the underdark and this portal to Chaos. The creature, whatever it was, had evidently caused a tremor which had buried and sealed the portal just as it was before. We never did find out what it was, but at any rate, we never saw it again. So we called this one a success.

As we left , we heard a strange sound behind us -- a deep voice which cried out: FLAWLESS VICTORY! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nSZ79fXO8)

We were feted as heroes upon our return, and we were allowed to keep the treasure we had found. One of my party members noted something special among the loot...

Vote 116:
* Harrop noticed an ancient holy symbol of enormous power [This is the Holy symbol you would otherwise have to find during an equipment check]
* Ilse noticed a shimmering cloak [This is the cloak of shadows; you already have one, and you can't use another. You can, however, sell it for at least 1000 gold]
* Mr. Pump noticed a shiny gold ring [This is the Ring of Courage; you already have one, and can't use another. You can, however, sell it for at least 1000 gold]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-06-10, 05:15 PM
Well. Holy symbol or gold?

I'd say Holy Symbol.

Koalita
2014-06-10, 05:32 PM
From what I recall, we can already make the Holy Symbol, can't we? What happens if we get it here, can we still make one for the gold? I guess not. If we can make a Holy Symbol for our Harrop, I'll go for the gold

Btw, it's a pity we don't have more skills in the 40-50 range, we can really use some to get them going...

pendell
2014-06-10, 06:15 PM
From what I recall, we can already make the Holy Symbol, can't we?

Not yet.

Holy Symbol requirements: needs 30 geography, 50 history, 35 religion

Our stats:

Geography: 54
History: 35
Religion: 50

So we need 15 more history points to find the symbol. That means either using the history skill twice or studying history once, and then getting an equipment check. Not impossible by any means, but if we're spending those things on history we aren't spending them on magic or other skills such as smithing.

What happens if we get it here, can we still make one for the gold?

I don't believe so. You can find something if you've already crafted it, but if you find the object you lose the ability to craft it -- provided you keep it. If for some reason you lose the item the crafting option should be reinstated.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-11, 02:27 AM
I think we can get 50 History before the adventuring section is done. It's not urgent, and we'll need to study History anyway for the next chapter. So I vote gold.

pendell
2014-06-11, 04:44 PM
Gold it is. I don't know which one pays better so I'll just grab the ring of courage. It's so .. shiny.

As we sorted through the treasure I noticed a strange gleam. I grabbed it and used divination to determine that it was the Ring of Courage and put it into my pocket, planning to give it to Mr. Pump when I had a chance.

Umm .. it's in our inventory. We should be able to sell it at our next equipment check.

If it turns out we can't sell it (though I think we will), I'll roll it back and go for the holy symbol.

Gold: +5000
Fame: +3
Arcana: +25
Thievery: +10
Geography: +10
Gained Ring of Courage.

We left Scone and returned to Tornassa as the tents were rolled up and people returned to other pursuits. When we returned to the Full Cup Inn, it was crowded with well-wishers wanting to buy us drinks. We were no longer an obscure band of adventurers -- now we were known throughout the land.

I spent a lot of time with Mack Erles, my boyfriend, while waiting for jobs.

One night, we stepped out under the clouds. It was a lovely, starry night. I turned to him and saw a gleam in his hands -- a small box, and in that small box a gold ring.

"Will you marry me?" He asked, smiling.

Vote 117:
* I ended up marrying my boyfriend, Mack Erles.
* We never got married.
* I decided to break up with Mack Erles and spend the rest of my days as a single person.

Roleplaying is encouraged. If anyone has a better proposal scene I'll swap it in.

ETA: The wedding ceremony, of course, must involve fish somehow. If it occurs.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-06-11, 04:45 PM
Wedding bells!

Koalita
2014-06-12, 03:58 PM
We never got married

Forum Explorer
2014-06-12, 04:34 PM
We got married.

pendell
2014-06-12, 04:39 PM
We have a split vote either to marry Mack Erles or not, so I'll roll for it.

Marry : 18

Not Marry: 95

My eyes shown as I looked at Mack.

"Mack, you're very sweet."

I looked away.

"But ... I don't think I want that kind of relationship with you."

His face fell.

I wanted to say "we can still be friends" but I knew that ever after that lie would be between us.

So we turned and watched the moon some more. Eventually, he walked away.

We remained friends, and still did fun things together, but it never went beyond that. Friends forever we would be, but no more than friends.

The years continued to pile up behind me. I knew that wizards were supposed to be old, but as time went by I began to fit the mold. My mystical knowledge continued to grow with me.

Koi, age: 40

Vote 118:
* I decided to focus on alchemy. [39]
* I decided to focus on conjuration [25]
* I decided to focus on divination [59]
* I decided to focus on enchantment [15]
* I decided to focus on healing [78]
* I decided to focus on necromancy [8]
* I decided to focus on summoning [44]
* I decided to focus on transmutation[59]
* I decided to focus on illusion [MAX]

I believe we will also have an opportunity to improve our nonmagical skills as well, so I'll put that option up now.

Vote 119:
* Focus on arcana [60]
* Focus on agriculture[30]
* Focus on diplomacy [65]
* Focus on economics [20]
* Focus on fighting [65]
* Focus on geography [64]
* Focus on History [45]
* Focus on Nature [82]
* Focus on religion [50]
* Focus on smithing [25]
* Focus on thievery [30]
* Focus on warcraft [20]

Votes in by 5:30PM tomorrow. We're doing well .. I hope we can keep it up!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-12, 04:43 PM
We got married.

Sorry, I don't have any proposal scenes in mind. But it should involve fish!

Aww, I'm too late.

Let's study Conjuration and History.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-12, 04:48 PM
Let's study summoning and History.

Our conjuration is basically boned at this point I think. We might get a chance to raise it later, but for right now I think it will always be lagging behind the skill checks.

Also I ninja'd in a vote to get married. :smalltongue:

pendell
2014-06-12, 06:33 PM
Sorry guys, the deadline was 5:30 and your votes came in at 5:34pm.

Hmm... Given there are three votes for marriage, even after deadline, I'm willing to redo this .. But only if koalita doesn't object. By the rules koalita won, so I can't undo that result without koalitas consent.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Koalita
2014-06-12, 07:23 PM
I won't object if you want to redo it. It's up to you though, redoing is a lot of work.

Conjuration & History
Although if there is a tie with Summoning, I'll switch to it. Correct me if History is the only thing that prevents us to get that Holy symbol :D

pendell
2014-06-13, 05:08 PM
We have a consensus to study conjuration and history. And, since Koalita does not object, we're going to rewrite history!

Again a police call box slammed down in front of us, and again a man in a suit came out. "Quickly!" he said "your actions have introduced a time paradox! If you don't fix it the entire universe will collapse!"

"Don't you think the universe would be better off without all this meddling? ", I asked.

"You wouldn't believe how much work it takes to keep your apparently-smooth causality running with all the little eddies, time loops, and paradoxes that crop up over and over again. At this rate I'm just pleased if today follows tomorrow."

And so we went a short hop back, to the moment when Mack is standing on the tower on a warm, moonlight night. The stars twinkle. And there he is, holding a small box. In it , a gold ring.

I smile, and say the words I had wanted to say before but ... if I had only known it, if I had only been honest with myself , was what I had wanted to do all along.

It's not everyday you get a second chance to make things right. I decided to make the most of it.

"Yes". I smiled at him. "I would be delighted to marry you."

He knelt, and placed the ring on my finger.

A few weeks later wedding bells rang as we were married in the chapel of Blamorb. Harrop Otter officiated as the minister, the grin on his face as wide as the crescent moon in the sky. Ilse was a bridemaid, and celebrated more loudly than anyone, dancing with all and picking every pocket she could find in the process. Even Mr. Pump took part, painted a handsome black and white as if in a tuxedo, acting in place of my father to give me away.

I later found out that he had a private conversation reminding him that, if Mack were ever anything less than the perfect husband, Mr. Pump would find out and Mr. Pump did not need to eat, drink, or sleep. It's good to have friends look out for you.

My parents came to the wedding, to my disappointment, since they took the occasion to criticize everything, including warning us that we were too young to be married -- at age 40! I smiled my way threw it but used enchantment to plant the suggestion in my parent's minds that they wanted to travel a long way away.

Mack wore the ceremonial fisherman's yellow; I wore the fish-suit , traditional for the brides in Blamorb's church. Afterwards we were showered in seafood as we left the temple, determined to enjoy the honeymoon we had waited so long for.

Religion: +10.

Hmm .. looks like we have an additional vote due to the fact we are married. Let's do this vote, I'll apply the results of the studies check tomorrow, after we've processed the additional vote.

Vote 120: What did we do on our honeymoon?
* We rented a cabin in the woods [20 gold]
* We visited many famous battlegrounds across Daria[35 gold]
* We stayed in a vineyard for a few days [10 gold]
* We travelled across Daria, just seeing the sights. [95 gold]
* We completed a great pilgrimage together.
* We never left my room at the inn. NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-13, 07:22 PM
Battlegrounds.

Koalita
2014-06-13, 08:17 PM
I may be wrong, but it looks like this affects our secondary knowledges
* We rented a cabin in the woods [20 gold] Nature [82]
* We visited many famous battlegrounds across Daria[35 gold] warcraft [20]
* We stayed in a vineyard for a few days [10 gold] agriculture[30]
* We travelled across Daria, just seeing the sights. [95 gold] geography [64]
* We completed a great pilgrimage together. religion [50]

Hmmm.... I'll go with the one I think will improve warcraft

Forum Explorer
2014-06-14, 03:57 AM
We visited the many romantic battlegrounds of the kingdom. There's more then you'd think :smallwink:

pendell
2014-06-14, 04:47 PM
We visited the many romantic battlegrounds of the kingdom. There's more then you'd think :smallwink:

Battle grounds it is.

We enjoyed history, so we did what we loved. It was a great time as we visited the Battle of Tenebrae, in which an orcish invasion had been repelled, the battle of the Founding, in which King Gareth' ancestor had united the feuding noble clans under his overlordship, and of course Koom Valley, in which the trolls and dwarves had apparently ambushed each other.

Our honeymoon was wonderful in other ways as well, but these are not fitting to speak of publicly. Let me simply say that our evenings were by no means dull.

Gold: -35
History: +10
Warcraft: +20

We returned to the Full Cup Inn and rented a separate room together, apart from the rest of the party. Still, very little changed as we prepared for our next adventure.

The years continued to pile up behind me, and I began to fit the mold of an aged wizard. My mystical knowledge continued to grow with me.

* Studied conjuration

Conjuration: +20

I saw the need to defend myself with battle magic.
I also was careful to study other things as well.

HA ! Called it!

I studied history

I studied every day , learning even more about history.

History: +25.

[quote=Story]
I wasn't the only one who used their spare time to improve their skills. All of my companions continued to
train and practice. Although they all did well...

Vote 121:
* Mr. Pump improved the most [power: 10]
* Ilse improved the most [power: 6]
* Harrop Otter improved the most [power 7]
No one stood out as improving the most.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Koalita
2014-06-14, 06:03 PM
* Ilse improved the most
Only one more to be able to pass the last quest, but stiill far away from the 36.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-14, 06:37 PM
Illse improved the most.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-14, 07:48 PM
Ilse improved the most

Yay marriage!

Cuthalion
2014-06-14, 10:53 PM
Ilse improved the most

Yay marriage!

Seeeeconded.

pendell
2014-06-15, 07:39 PM
Wow, unanimous! I think that's the first time that happened.

Ilse became almost as much an expert at making things disappear as I could , only she relied on cunning and a small set of tools rather than magic.

Ilse Power: 6

I was 40 years old when Queen Janice, the woman whom I had worked with so hard to bring a child into the world, died under 'mysterious circumstances'. King Gareth seemed not to care at all, and this led to rumors that he was in some way responsible for the Queen's death. Their nephew, Prince Travis, was 19 years old. Fortunately for him and his mother, Princess Emily, Prince Eric (the child whose birth I assisted) was alive and healthy. Since he was the uncontested heir to the throne, Prince Travis and his family were safe.

The Kingdom of Daria was in a terrible mess; everything seemed to be falling apart. Sensing our weakness, the Orcish nation took a leaf from the book of strategies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Stratagems):

Loot a burning house[edit]
(趁火打劫, Chèn huǒ dǎ jié)
When a country is beset by internal conflicts, when disease and famine ravage the population, when corruption and crime are rampant, then it will be unable to deal with an outside threat. This is the time to attack. Keep gathering internal information about an enemy. If the enemy is currently in its weakest state ever, attack it without mercy and totally destroy it to prevent future troubles.

The orcs had evidently suffered a great deal at the hands of the kingdom of Daria in times past, and now they saw their opportunity to end the threat our kingdom posed, once and for all.

Soon all the citizens of the kingdom had their hands full resisting the invasion, and our team was conscripted into the war effort. However, we were not sent to the front lines. Instead, the Royal Wizard Fraledan summoned us to his tower.

We came into his office, and he bade us sit. "It's good to see you again, Koi." In saying this he acknowledged me as an equal as he leaned on his staff.

"We have learned through our spies that the Orcish chieftain is already tired of this war, as even in it's weakened state Daria has proven to be more than he could chew. We don't have the power to eject him with main force, but we believe he can be induced to withdraw if we make concessions, allowing him to save face and declare victory."

He pulled out a letter. "I believe, by divination, that this letter is our only hope to stop the hostilities."

The blood rushed to my face. "We're buying them off? Wouldn't it be better to simply eject them and demand reparations?"

"Of COURSE that would be the more satisfying answer!" He snarled. "But this isn't the kingdom of fifty years ago. We simply don't have the power to do this. At the moment, the best we can achieve is stalemate. We will not lose any more territory to them, but we do not have the power to push them out of the territory they already occupy. If this war continues, it will be a bloody stalemate, with raiding and skirmishing and counter-raiding. The tragedy of Elmvale will be repeated a hundred times over."

That was a low blow.

"If you don't believe me, use your own divination. You will see it is the only way to save the kingdom and many lives in the process."

I asked for a few minutes to doublecheck his answer, and proceed to do precisely that.

What I saw was that Fraledan indeed spoke the truth -- the futures that laid before was either a dishonorable peace or an endless war, followed by our eventual destruction when the other surrounding nations piled in for their share of the pie -- excuse me, to "protect" Daria from the orcs.

But I also saw that, though this had to be done, Fraledan could find someone else to do it. I didn't have to.

Vote 122:
I accepted the task.
I turned down the task.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-15, 08:24 PM
We accepted the Task.

Targ Collective
2014-06-15, 08:53 PM
If it must be done it is better to do it ourselves.

Koalita
2014-06-15, 10:16 PM
What kind of cheap adventurers would we be if we refused? Accept.

Cuthalion
2014-06-16, 08:33 AM
We accept.

pendell
2014-06-16, 08:31 PM
Very well.

I returned from the divination chamber and met his eyes. "I'll do it."
He smiled. "Excellent! Your service will not go unnoticed."
I didn't return his smile. "I still don't like it. This is a band-aid, nothing more."
He nodded. "Unfortunately, it is not ... immediately possible to change things."

The language of conspiracy. He couldn't simply come out and say "The king is as mad as a hatter and until that
changes we're hosed." There were ears everywhere in the kingdom. His Majesty may not have been able to afford an army, but he somehow found money for spies and talebearers.

I nodded. "Perhaps you should add healing to your repertoire." By which I meant, "if we cure his illness, that means
things will go right again, yes?"

He sighed heavily. "Healing is ... not a skill of mine. But rest assured, I am searching the kingdoms for one who has the skill."

By which he meant "Don't teach your grandfather to suck eggs! What in the nine hells d'ya think I've been doing for the past twenty years, running a quilting bee? Of COURSE I'm looking for a healer to solve the king's mental problems! Among the elves, among the orcs and, yes, even trolls under bridges! Great gods above!"

He continued. "I understand you have some skill in healing...?"

I sighed. "Not enough." The undertone strongly suggested all the healers in the world, even Blamorb himself, in his manifestation of the great healer, might find it non-trivial.

He nodded. "Then we must all do what we must."

Indeed.

Whether I was really as good as he thought I was ... my own counsel I kept.

And after that, the conversation in which nothing had been said yet everything was understood, was over.

We saddled up our horses and rode west. It was a terrifying journey into orc territory.

We left the kingdom of Daria behind as we travled ever westwards, far beyond the safety of human land. I was nervous to be traveling in such dangerous territory, yet strangely intrigued with the barbaric culture I was soon to encounter. Harrop was similarly excited, as this would allow him to get in touch with his ancestral roots.

We were deep into the wilderness when we stumbled upon something completely different. The trees had become older and older with each step, and the forest was teeming with wildlife. We were far from the orcish homeland still, but as we passed through a circle of mushrooms, we began to see strange things. Little people, similar to elves but much smaller, danced all around us.

One of them came forward and asked for aid. She wore a tiny little dress, and her diminutive shoes were pointed. She said that a "monster" had attacked their forest home.

We knew a quest hook when it dangled in front of us, so we dismounted to check it out.

It was enormous, and looked much like a wild male pig, a boar. I remember what Goldie's late lamented father, out in the woods, had told me about boars: They were among the most dangerous normal animals a commoner could fear to meet. As discussed (http://www.huntercourse.com/blog/2011/11/the-worlds-most-dangerous-game-to-hunt/)

"Experienced hunters say that wild boar can be even more dangerous to hunt than a bear. Equipped with thick, razor-sharp tusks, and a razor-sharp mind (hogs are the 4th most intelligent animal in the world) a wild boar can weigh a staggering 660 lbs and exhibit extremely aggressive and unpredictable behaviour.

Hunters be warned! After wounding a boar, give the animal plenty of time before you follow it in to the bush. Otherwise, you’ll go from being the hunter to the hunted. Boars will circle a human adversary, charge rampantly and attack from behind.

A survival tip: Pick your tree ahead of time so you can climb out of harm’s way if ever you’re being chased."

That, of course, is a NORMAL boar. But this was enormous, closer to the size of an elephant than the normal version which had slain both knights and kings. Moreover, it looked badly diseased, its eyes were bleeding and its fur all matted with filth. I would have guessed that it was undead, a zombie of some type, but my arcane skills detected no Necromancy. It was ... corrupted , somehow, far from natural, perhaps the result of some hideous magical experiment gone awry.

We didn't have much time to wonder. As soon as it caught sight of us, it charged!

Vote 123:
* Mr. Pump defended us well. [Mr. Pump +1]
* I shot a spark of fire towards the creature [45 conjuration, exercises conjuration]
* I sidestepped the creature without looking up [45 divination, exercises divination]
* Harrop Otter saved the day [Harrop Otter +1]
* We were lucky to get away with our lives.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-16, 09:47 PM
Time to cook some bacon with a little bit of conjuration.

Targ Collective
2014-06-16, 10:46 PM
Seconded. Juicy bacon!

Cuthalion
2014-06-17, 08:26 AM
Seconded. Juicy bacon!

Thirded. Fresh crispy bacon should not be forsaken.

Koalita
2014-06-17, 03:32 PM
Damn. Read this and was gonna third it but work came across.
Fourthed?

pendell
2014-06-17, 06:36 PM
Bacon it is.

I hadn't studied all that conjuration for nothing. I rubbed my ruby ring and snapped my fingers while shouting "FLAMING DEATH!"

The fire struck the creature in the face. the smell of burned fur filled the air as it screamed in pain.

Conjuration: +10

The corrupted beast roared in pain , but the fight wasn't over yet.

Vote 124:

* CHOSEN I bathed the beast in fire BACON! [needs 50 conjuration]
* I turned the creature into stone [needs 35 transmutation]
* I healed the beast [needs 40 healing]
* I reacted physically, forgetting to use my magic [needs 50 fighting]
* I froze in panic, just standing there.
*I drained the creature of its life force [needs 50 necromancy]

Y'know what? Given the 4-0 vote for Bacon last time, I suspect the vote is still going to be for bacon. So I'm just going to proceed with that option. If enough people complain, I'll roll it back and we can re-vote on this option. I will need at least two people to say they want to change their votes.

But in the meantime -- bacon.

I poured steady liquid death from my hands until the abomination stopped moving.

The fey creatures were very happy with us, and brought out sauces so we could have a cookout together. There had to be a thousand of them living there and not all of them were small. I saw nymphs , dryads, pixies, brownies, and a band of small blueish creatures who shouted

THE NAC MAC FEEGLE! THE WEE FREE MEN! NAE KING , NAE QUEEN, NAE LAIRD, NAE MASTER! WE WILLNA BE FOOLED AGAIN!

Then they fell to fighting each other and trying to headbutt Mr. Pump, to my surprise Mr. Pump did not have it all his own way -- I suppose there heads were only slightly less hard than diamond.

After the feast, the small fey stepped forward with a bundle. "We have no gold to repay you with."

"Och, whaddaya talking aboout? There's plenty o' gold back in the mnnnph mnnph mnph."
"Och, here I was accidentally throttlin' ye. Daft Wullie, d'ye recall that there are times ye should just shut yer big fat gob?"
Duft Willie nodded, very slightly.
"Well, that was one of those times."

The fey continued. "As I said, NO GOLD TO PAY YOU WITH, but please accept this in token of our thanks."

Vote 125:
* I was presented with a bundle of herbs and plants that could make the most deadly poisons [this is the thief's poison kit]
* I was a presented with a bundle of herbs and plants that could make the most beneficial cures [this is the healer's kit. We already have one , so we will have to sell it for about 5000 cash]
* I told them no reward was necessary.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-18, 12:09 AM
I'm fine with Bacon.

They gave us a bunch of their booze. Which just happens to be poisonous to mortals.

pendell
2014-06-18, 05:14 PM
Nobody seems to disagree , so ...

It was a selection of fine elvish wine and pretty mushrooms I smiled graciously, though I knew that a human metabolism was different enough that they would drop dead in the instant. Ilse coveted the components with a burning urge, and considering how much of her loot I had already wound up taking I didn't have the heart to refuse her.

Gained: Poison collection.

The community of fey gathered around me, and I felt myself undergoing the intense scrutiny. In a flash of insight, I realized they were determining whether I was worthy to serve as the guardian of their community.

But ...

I felt both their disappointment and their pleasure, curiously mixed. A true guardian -- a druid -- must be entirely neutral, never disturbing the world from its course. yet I had frequently disturbed the world in such a way , routinely saving the lives of those who would have died, finding the lost, and healing the sick. This a druid could not do. And so both their mingled pleasure and awe at my character , yet their sadness as well that such as I could never be a druid. Nonetheless, I think they were content with the path I had chosen.

We left the next day.

We arrived in the orcish capital of Amarkand. Here the leading orcs of the tribes had gathered from all over the wasteland, and their encampments were everywhere. There were also the sutlers, tradesorcs, and servants who grew up to supply their needs.

We were stopped by a pair of orcs, each wearing a red scarf with four stars. I showed them the king's seal, which the wizard Freledan gave me, and they nodded. "An embassy, eh? We will take you to the High King."

We were led through the encampments and there were a number of dirty looks and mumbles but, however little respect they had for us, the Four Stars of the High King commanded respect. Clearly the high king was not someone to mess with.

As we arrived at the largest compound, we were stopped by a messenger and directed to the guest quarters, a collection of yurts. The High King wished us to be rested and refreshed for our meeting, not tired from the road.

At last we were led into the King's Yurt. It was dark inside, with a single fire burning in the center. The king sat on a great chair, flanked by advisors.

"So you must be Koi", he said. "I've heard much about you. It's rare for a Darian subject to come here at all, let alone an elf."

His eyes lit up a bit when he saw Harrop, but I drew his attention to myself. "We all do what we must in difficult times, your majesty. The King of Daria presents his greetings, and sends you an offer of peace."

I made to hand him the scroll, but he waved me off and said "Do I have to read it or can you tell me what it contains, in one incense stick's time?"

I summarized the concessions that the king made and emphasized the benefit it would be to both of us to end this war.

He nodded. "I will have a reply for you in a few days. In the meantime, please consider yourselves my guests."

He motioned to one of the black-robed guards, and we were taken back to the guest quarters where our needs were tended to.

A few days stretched into a few weeks before we were summoned back into the presence of the High King.

He was a bit hesitant. While the concessions were most attractive, he was a bit concerned about whether it would be wise to just stop the invasion. The problem with having a wolf by the ears is that it's almost impossible to let go. He was High King because he was foremost in prowess and had led his people to ever more victories. Failing in this would mean the end not just of his reign, but of his life.

Vote 126:
* I smoothed over any last uncertainties, paving the way for peace [40 diplomacy]
* I waited for him to make up his mind.
* I talked him into signing it [40 personality]
* I planted a magical suggestion into his mind to sign it. [40 enchantment]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-18, 06:07 PM
Pave the road of peace.

Koalita
2014-06-18, 06:53 PM
Pave the road of peace.
Seconded :)

Forum Explorer
2014-06-19, 12:36 AM
Pave the road of peace.

thirded :smallsmile:

Targ Collective
2014-06-19, 03:45 AM
And fourthed.

pendell
2014-06-19, 04:49 PM
So be it!

I gradually teased out his objections and carefully walked him through the treaty. It didn't hurt when we discovered that part of the reason he had difficulty was that he was in fact illiterate, and his own scribe had given him a faulty translation in the hopes of continuing the war. Nothing a quick beheading wouldn't solve.

The Chieftain drew forth the four-starred great seal of the orc clans, and stamped it with his own blood, which among orcs was as sacred a validation as one could ask for. We returned to Daria with the good news.

The Wizard Fraledan seemed tired and sad when we returned, leaning heavily on his old staff, and his eyes had bags under them. We both knew in the long run this would weaken Daria even more, but at least the war was over for the present. He gave us a small bag of gold and our fame as peacekeepers spread.

Gold: +175

We returned to the Full Cup Inn, and I was just settling in with an old tome when we had an unexpected visitor -- none other than Master Durgan, the doorkeeper of the Academy! I hastily made him a cup of tea. He hardly seemed to have changed at all, and he greeted me as if the twenty-odd years since my graduation were only yesterday. Which, to him, perhaps they were.

At last, he came to the point. "I'm afraid this isn't a social call", he said, bowing his bald head. "Dory and Marlin need your help."

It was time to look over our equipment. The first thing we did was to sell our second ring of courage. We also gave the poison collection to Ilse.

Gold: +1700

Current Gold: 8910.

Decision point 127
Equipment Check
Mr. Pump: Power 10

* Buy an enchanted sword [2000 gold]
*Craft an enchanted sword [50 smithing, 50 transmutation]
* Craft the Sword of Death [50 smithing, 25 transmutation, 50 necromancy]

Ilse: Power 8

* CRAFT an enchanted dagger [25 smithing, 50 transmutation]
* BUY an enchanted dagger [1500 gold]
* Craft the dagger of sharpness [50 smithing, 50 transmutation]

Harrop Otter: Power 7

* Find the ancient holy symbol [30 geography, 50 history, 35 religion]
* buy an enchanted mace [2000 gold]
* craft an enchanted mace [35 smithing, 35 transmutation, 35 alchemy]
* craft the Holy Mace [35 smithing, 35 transmutation, 35 religion]
* craft the elixir of wisdom [50 alchemy, 25 divination]

So, to sum up: I've already taken the liberty of selling the ring of courage [there's nothing else we can do with it, save let it clutter up our inventory] and giving the poison collection to Ilse.

We have the option of crafting an enchanted dagger for Ilse for free . We can also find the ancient holy symbol for Harrop. Finally, we have enough money to buy each of our characters an enchanted weapon, although I don't see any reason why we should spend 1500 gold on an enchanted dagger for Ilse when we can make one for no cost in time or money.

Still .. it's your call.

Get your votes in by 5:30 PM tomorrow, and we'll see what mission the Academy has for us!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

smuchmuch
2014-06-19, 05:12 PM
We have only 25 smithing and quite a bit of gold
>So let's buy an enchanted sword for Mr Pump
>let's craft an enchanted dagger for Isle
>let's find the ancient holy symbol for Harrop.

The only thing not obvious to me is weither or not we should buy an enchanted mace, with 50 religion and 59 trnasmutation we only need 10 more smiting to craft the holy mace which we may be able to get before the next equipment check maybe.

Cuthalion
2014-06-19, 08:11 PM
Don't we have the ability to craft the ancient holy symbol?

Forum Explorer
2014-06-20, 01:42 AM

The only thing not obvious to me is weither or not we should buy an enchanted mace, with 50 religion and 59 trnasmutation we only need 10 more smiting to craft the holy mace which we may be able to get before the next equipment check maybe.

Well I like this plan. Let's see if we can't get our smithing up.

Koalita
2014-06-20, 03:25 AM

Wouldn't crafting the dagger for Ilse raise our Smithing to 35+? If so, I think we should craft both the enchanted mace AND the Holy Mace

If dcrafting raises our smithing and can let us take more things, then craft a sword for mr pump too. Otherwise, just stick with the above plan

pendell
2014-06-20, 10:42 AM
Don't we have the ability to craft the ancient holy symbol?

No, technically you have the ability to FIND the ancient holy symbol by reading a lot of old books to find where it lies. If you craft it wouldn't be an ancient holy symbol, but a brand spankin' new holy symbol. :)

I don't know whether forging an item in the equipment check will exercise the smith skill, but I suspect the only way the smith skill will improve at this point is if we actually train the skill.

Do we want to do that? Perhaps -- but remember we're halfway through our adventuring career and I don't think smithing is useful at all for the next phase of our lives, so we might want to put our nonmagical skill training into something else.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-06-20, 04:55 PM
Okay, let's make this happen!

craft an enchanted dagger for Isle
buy an enchanted sword for Mr Pump
find the ancient holy symbol for Harrop.

I first smithied an exceedingly sharp knife for Ilse, then added transmutation to make it even sharper but also durable. Ilse was pleased with her new toy, both for slaying baddies and for carving up evening meals .

Ilse: Power 9

We next went to the local weapon shop and carefully looked at all the different weapons on sale. We were now in the upper scale areas where magical properties were common. We passed by the jeweled swords and the flaming swords for one which was plain, unadorned, but very, very sharp. Light, and easy to wield.

Mr. Pump took it, and their appeared to be a sign of pleasure in his glowing red eyes.

Gold: -2000

Mr. Pump: Power 11.

Finally, I had enough information to dig through the Tornassa library , where I found a lead on the ancient Holy Symbol. It would take too long to describe in detail, but a long journey to the wilderness, desert tribes, heat and thirst, culminating by a deathtrap-filled dungeon and a giant rolling ball o'doom that chased us out of the dungeon. But at last we had our holy symbol. Harrop accepted it with great pride.

Harrop: Power 8.

We packed up our belongings and left the tavern. I could feel the wrongness the instant we arrived.

"Archmage Marlin took ill a few weeks before the incidents began", Master Durgan explained.

"Incidents?" I asked.

"Observe." He responded. He muttered the words and waved his hands in intricate mystical designs. I recognized the spell which should have created a simply ball of light. A small star formed, then rapidly broke into a tear in the walls of creation. Through the rift stepped a vile, sharp-toothed demon which Master Durgan promptly cracked on the head. As it fell, the rift closed.

"This is happening with any spell cast near the academy", Master Durgan explained. "They change into a Summoning spell. The greater the magic, the greater the demon summoned. The first summonings had been particularly destructive since the mages had tried to defend themselves with magic, which only made things worse. "

Vote 128:
* I asked to see Archmage Marlin and Arch-magess Dory.
* I experimented by casting various spells. [this may give us the option to exercise our magic]
* I went immediately to the large academy library and began researching.
* I apologized to Master Durgan , saying that I didn't know what to do either.
* I told the doorkeeper that it was his problem and not mine.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-20, 05:06 PM
* I asked to see Archmage Marlin and Arch-magess Dory.

Targ Collective
2014-06-20, 07:52 PM
Seconded. Because maybe they know what's happening.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-20, 11:34 PM
I experimented by casting various spells.

pendell
2014-06-21, 04:56 PM
So we're going to see the leaders of the Academy.

I asked to see Dory and Marlin, and Durgan brought me to their private chamber. Marlin looked terrible on his bed, his ravens perched on its edge. Dory hovered nearby gently singing "Remember, just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

I was to hear this song on and off for many hours and after awhile it began to grate. Nonetheless Marlin took heart from it and hung on with great tenacity. If Marlin was the level-headed mind of the Academy, Dory was the heart and soul. Her liveliness and good cheer made students everywhere stick it out when they were on the verge of failing out, and men who would otherwise die hung on and lived, because of her words and easy grace.

That doesn't mean she couldn't be tiresome at times.

I carefully examined Marlin. He appeared to be paralyzed and having trouble breathing. A quick divination spell confirmed the initial diagnosis: Pufferfish poisoning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu). Pufferfish was an occasional delicacy served as sashimi at the school ... had it simply been an error on the part of the chef? Or had it been a deliberate poisoning made to LOOK like an accident?

I had my suspicions, but the immediate requirement was to save Marlin's life. Dory's magic combined with Marlin's will had preserved him for days when someone normally succumbed in an hour, but if we didn't act fast he was facing respiratory failure and death.

Vote 129:
* I healed the archmage [65 healing]
* I healed the archmage by crafting an anti-toxin [75 nature]
* There was nothing I could do to help the Archmage.
* I healed the archmage using a potion [65 alchemy]
* I healed the archmage using a transfusion of my trollish blood [must have species: Troll]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-06-21, 06:05 PM
Healing time.

Cuthalion
2014-06-21, 06:54 PM
Healing time.

Seconded. :smallfurious:

Blue Ghost
2014-06-22, 12:57 AM
Healing time.

Thirded! Don't die, Marlin!

Forum Explorer
2014-06-22, 01:18 AM
I used some healing magic.

Koalita
2014-06-22, 05:50 PM
Heal him up!

pendell
2014-06-22, 08:36 PM
Then heal him with Healing we shall!

It was tricky to remove him from the academy so that magic could work, but between Dory's efforts and Mr. Pump's strength, we were able to get him to a nearby house outside the field alive. Once there, my diagnosis confirmed the effects of poison. It was tricky. I magically engineered a retrovirus and released it into him, which reprogrammed his cells such that it could metabolize the poison. Then it was just a matter of pumping life into him and keeping his lungs working, a race against time between his body's newly-empowered immune system and the lethal poison. It was dawn of the following day before he was able to breathe easily again, and we knew we had saved his life.

"I'm surprised", I said. "How did you survive so long?"

Marlin answered simply "Australia."

Ah.

I recognized the name. One thousand years ago a terrible magician had, through vile experiments, succeeding in populating an entire continent with all manner of vile creatures bred for war. There were poisonous spiders which looked like armored behemoths, bizarre beings which carried their young in pouches, and the infamous drop-bears which would leap on people from trees and tear their heads from their shoulders.

So terrible and vicious was this place that the council of mages at the time had plane-shifted the entire continent out of this world, but we still checked in on it every once in awhile to ensure the monsters stayed safely in their exile where they belonged.

Marlin had been one of those inspectors, which explained his hardihood. Anyone who stayed in Australia for a year was pretty much unkillable by normal means.

"What has happened?" He asked, sitting up slowly and carefully.

Master Durgan sighed and gave me a grateful look.

Mage Guild: +10

Master Durgan and I filled Dory and Marlin in on events in the academy, and Marlin sent some spies swimming into th school. It was not long before one reported back -- an artifact had recently been seen in Master Ballin's room, and its arrival coincided with the insanity that had happened in the school. I went to his room to see if there was any connection.

I entered the Master's bedroom and saw, right in the open where anyone could see it, the artifact: The Golden Apple of Discord. This must have been the same apple that had sparked off a legendary war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_of_Discord) in another plane which had lasted for generations, and now here it was in our academy.

Vote 130:
* I smashed the apple against the wall.
* I blackmailed Master Durgan [the academy doorkeeper who gave us the quest], demanding a large reward for the solution to the problem.
* I hid the apple somewhere even better, knowing it would bring down the academy.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-06-22, 09:21 PM
Well. I think smashing it could easily turn against us.

Hide it.

pendell
2014-06-22, 10:15 PM
You are aware, Targ, that hiding it means your character intends to bring down the academy and will earn you evil points? It's not solving the problem -- it's making it worse.

Are you fully aware of these consequences?

If that's what you want to do, that's what you want to do. But I want to make sure you understand the ramifications.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-06-23, 02:54 AM
Oh gods, I thought you meant hide it somewhere *else*. Like, a long way away.

Okay, let's get dangerous. Smashy smashy time!

EDIT: I read it as (Hide it somewhere better knowing it would bring down the academy otherwise).

Forum Explorer
2014-06-23, 03:35 AM
It's time to make some applesauce. ! :smallcool:

pendell
2014-06-23, 04:37 PM
Applesauce it is.

I snatched up the apple and threw it against the wall in one quick motion, where it splattered most beautifully. As it struck, time seemed to distort. The pieces fell slowly to the ground, glowing as they drifted to the ground. The glow faded as they came to rest and I realized the curse had been lifted.

Mage Guild: +10

The door to the room opened, and a man walked in. In a flash I deduced this was Master Ballin, but he had not taught at the academy in my time so I didn't recognize him.

"What is the meaning of this?" He exclaimed.

"The meaning of it is that a dangerous artifact , one which was screwing up the entire academy, is now fruit juice. Do you have anything to say about that?"

Master Ballin gave a deep sigh before he spoke. "The Academy is corrupt. I should be Archmage, not Marlin! It's ridiculous -- he has no vision and avoids making the decisions that could make the academy a place of legend. And Dory is just a ditz.

So yes, I poisoned the fool and activated the Apple of Discord. Once the Academy was in ruins, I was going to come to the rescue and be named the new Archmage. Dory would have been retired."

Vote 131:
* I attempted to take him to Master Durgan [be prepared for a fight]
* I decided to blackmail him in return for not turning him in.
* I let him go.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-23, 05:19 PM
Bring 'im t'Durgan.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-23, 06:57 PM
take him down then take him in.

Targ Collective
2014-06-23, 08:52 PM
Justice! And applesauce!

smuchmuch
2014-06-24, 04:02 AM
Blackmail.

pendell
2014-06-24, 04:40 PM
For great justice!

Before I could open my mouth, I noticed the sardonic quirk to his mouth.

"Did you really think I would tell you my plans if you were going to walk out of this room alive?"

A blast of lightning came from his hands and washed over me.

"Young fool. Only now do you understand the power of the dark side".

He raised his hands for a final blow.

Vote 132:
* I cast my own lightning right back at him [60 conjuration]
* I forced myself to stay conscious [35 willpower OR 40 body]
* I woke up in the academy infirmary the next day.
* I forced him to stop attacking [50 enchantment]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-24, 05:45 PM
Lightning bend that **** right back to him!

Cuthalion
2014-06-24, 05:50 PM
Lightning bend that **** right back to him!

Yeah! :smallcool:

Targ Collective
2014-06-24, 06:23 PM
Thirded. Lightning FTW.

Koalita
2014-06-25, 05:07 AM
thunderstruck!

pendell
2014-06-25, 05:45 PM
1.21 gigawatts comin' up!

I fell back and mumbled on the ground something about "too weak .. .can't go on." Master Ballin ceased his attack and stood over me to gloat. At this point I rolled over and let him have it right in the face with my own lightning.

"POWER!" I screamed, as he fell back, "UN-LIMITED ... POWER!!!!"

With this the lightning hurled him against the wall, there being no convenient window for him to be thrown out of. He bounced and hit the floor.

At this Mr. Pump stepped in and scooped him up. We took him directly to the infirmary while Ilse ran to tell Marlin and Dory what had happened.

I'll leave it up to you whether he was still alive when we were finished, or whether it is a blackened lump of cinders Mr. Pump is carrying to the infirmary.

Master Durgan, Dory, and Marlin were very overjoyed that I had not only saved the archmage, but had also found the source of the problem and cleared it up.

"You saved the academy", Marlin intoned solemnly while Dory did a happy dance.

They sent out criers to let the academy know that the magical siege of the Academy was over. Marlin put his arm around me [somewhat moist] and smiled happily. "You'll make a great archmage someday".

Dory stepped forward, looking somewhat serious this time, carrying a wooden box that I recognized from the wizard's tower.
"These are given to those who have made a great service to magic. Congratulations, you've earned it."

Acquired: Wizard's Staff.

Then Marlin spoke, "Ah, but we're not done yet! While saving my life may not qualify as a great service to magic" -- here Marlin frowned a bit at Dory, who made a face back at him -- "I'm still grateful for it. So here's a present for you."

It was a tome of ancient magic, detailing many glyphs , runes and ley lines. I could tell it came from the archmage's personal library. I thanked them , and then we departed for our next adventure.

Arcana: +25
Mage Guild: +30

It wasn't long before our next job. A finely dressed human arrived at the Full Cup Inn and asked to speak to us.

"I am Thaddeus Burrmont", the dandy said. "I have spent a lot of money to purchase the location of a powerfully enchanted weapon. My offer is simple: I give you the location, you get me the weapon and keep all of the other treasure."

That seemed fair enough. Harrop and Ilse agreed; we took the deal.

We had an enjoyable ride. Hippocampus enjoyed being outside and the horses of the other party members moved quickly.

We followed the road toward the destination marked on the map, a small cove in the far east along the shores of the South Sea. It was somewhere around the halfway mark that a very strange thing happened. We had a nice campside alongside the road and it was my turn keeping watch. There was a soft, silvery glow on the edge of the campfire's light, when out stepped a miraculous creature straight from legend. At first, I thought it was a white horse, but the single horn on its forehead and fluffy white wings soon disabused me of that notion. It was that rarest of creatures, a flying unicorn.

Vote 133:
* I approached it, hoping to befriend it.
* I killed it, wondering what type of treasure it had.
* I watched it in awe.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Koalita
2014-06-25, 07:24 PM

Forum Explorer
2014-06-26, 02:20 AM
I watched in awe

Cuthalion
2014-06-26, 10:44 AM

pendell
2014-06-26, 04:41 PM
Okay, we attempt to befriend the unicorn.

It looked at me in fright and stretched its powerful wins. It took to the air, finding my presence intolerable. I supposed it preferred virgins, for whatever reason.

Nature skill is now MAX at 100.

This is the one place in the game where virginity comes in useful. A virgin could acquire a unicorn mount at this stage in the game. Heh ... sounds like something parents would tell their kids. If you do these things, not only will you grow hairs on your palms and go blind, if any magical flying creatures come along they won't want anything to do with you!

*Cough* So where were we?

We arrived at the shores of the Silver Sea, finding the location marked on the map which proved to be several hundred meters offshore of a small town called Opal's Cove.

Vote 134:
* I hired a boat to take us out there. It was very expensive [345 gold]
* I summoned a dolphin to carry me [40 summoning]
* I gave up and went home

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-26, 05:16 PM
When exactly did we lose virginity?

Dolphin.

Koalita
2014-06-26, 06:33 PM
* I gave up and went home

I summoned a dolphin to carry me

pendell
2014-06-26, 10:00 PM
When exactly did we lose virginity?

Dolphin.
We got married, remember? Sex is assumed to be part of the package :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-27, 03:21 AM
We finally get to summon something!

pendell
2014-06-27, 05:08 PM
Summon the dolphin we shall!

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a red-and-white ball, shouting "KYOGRE, I CHOOSE YOU!" Out popped a dolphin-like creature which , after frolicking for a moment in the water, happily turned around and allowed me to ride it out into the sea.

Summoning: +10

It looked like a lot of water to me. I knew I needed some way to go underneath the waves and find the shipwreck.

Vote 135:
* I used my magic to grow a pair of gills [35 transmutation]
* I conjured air, lots of it [60 conjuration]
* I used a potion of water breathing [35 alchemy]
* I was close to the treasure, but I had no way to go down and get it.
* I simply stopped breathing [45 Necromancy]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

5a Violista
2014-06-27, 06:15 PM
I used my magic to grow a pair of gills which looked really neat. At least, that's what Harrop Otter said. Then again, wasn't he half-merman?

We got married, remember? [...]
Now that I got to remembering, it was actually the Doctor man from the phone box who told us we had to go back in time to fix the time paradox not getting married caused.

So, obviously, getting on that Alicorn would have destroyed the universe, after we rampaged through space, casting magic on everything and rewriting history in such a way that required the phone-box man to meet with us again.

Targ Collective
2014-06-27, 11:55 PM
I vote we go for the potion.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-28, 03:14 AM
We've trained for this exact moment. It's time to become part fish.

Cuthalion
2014-06-28, 08:55 AM
We've trained for this exact moment. It's time to become part fish.

Seco nded.

pendell
2014-06-28, 07:11 PM
So we change into a fish. Check.

Casting my mind into it, I intoned the phrase I wish I were a fish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sItfoiWpnb8), and a minute later that's what it was .. or at least my head and lungs were. Sufficient to get underwater, anyway. I dove quickly into the water and sawm down into the dark blue depths.

Transfiguration: +10

It was difficult to see, but I managed. Once I reached the sealfoor, I looked around for the wreckage. I had to circle outwrd for a few minutes until I saw some old timbers embedded in the sand and covered in seaweed. Once I found some of the debris, it was easy for me to find the rest of the shipwreck. Most of the equipment was rusted and worthless, but I found a large treasure chest in what had been the Captain's room. I grabbed it and lugged it back to the surface. It was a fair amount of work swimming with the chest, but nothing that a little bit of additional transfigured strength couldn't solve.

After I lugged the treasure chest to shore, Ilse picked open the lock. We eagerly looked inside and were surprised to find only a single item ...

Vote 136:
* The legendary Sword of Death
* The legendary Holy Mace
* The legendary Dagger of Sharpness.

This is one of the artifacts that you can otherwise attain only by crafting. While you're deciding which one it is, you might want to be thinking about whether you're going to uphold your end of the bargain and give it to the dandy [which will win you good points and positive rep with multiple factions, even though 'all the other treasure' is actually nill] or whether you're going to keep it for yourself [which will earn you -- I think -- faction penalties and evil points but you do get to keep the artifact]. There may be a third option, but I forget what it is.

Obviously, if you're going to give it up anyway it doesn't matter much which one it is. But if you keep it, you'll have to put some thought into it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-06-29, 05:32 PM
So we change into a fish. Check.

Transfiguration: +10

After I lugged the treasure chest to shore, Ilse picked open the lock. We eagerly looked inside and were surprised to find only a single item ...

Vote 136:
* The legendary Sword of Death
* The legendary Holy Mace
* The legendary Dagger of Sharpness.

This is one of the artifacts that you can otherwise attain only by crafting. While you're deciding which one it is, you might want to be thinking about whether you're going to uphold your end of the bargain and give it to the dandy [which will win you good points and positive rep with multiple factions, even though 'all the other treasure' is actually nill] or whether you're going to keep it for yourself [which will earn you -- I think -- faction penalties and evil points but you do get to keep the artifact]. There may be a third option, but I forget what it is.

Obviously, if you're going to give it up anyway it doesn't matter much which one it is. But if you keep it, you'll have to put some thought into it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

No votes? Very well; voting is extend to tomorrow at 5:30 PM. See you all then!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-06-29, 07:53 PM
I say Dagger.

pendell
2014-06-30, 04:54 PM
Very well! We find the dagger of sharpness.

I spent many restless nights on the journey back to Tornassa. The man had implied that there would be a lot of treasure for us too, and there was nothing. Finally, we arrived at the dandy's house.

Acquired: Dagger of Sharpness.

Vote 137:
* I handed over the Dagger of Sharpness.
* I demanded a fair reward for finding the Dagger of Sharpness.
* I lied to the dandy and said we didn't find the ship [but kept the dagger].

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-06-30, 06:28 PM
I demanded a fair reward

Cuthalion
2014-06-30, 06:51 PM
Handed it over.

smuchmuch
2014-07-01, 06:05 AM
>Asked for a fair reward or kept it
Its one thing being nice, it's another letting yourself ripped off without protest

pendell
2014-07-01, 04:38 PM
All right, I'm going to count smuchmuch's vote as supporting Forum Explorer's vote to ask for a fair reward.

I arrived at the dandy's house and was invited in. I ensured that Coral was prominently weaving around me. He invited me into his parlor and, after brandy, inquired as to our success.

I carefully removed a small box from my robes and opened it in front of him. "Here it is. The Dagger of Sharpness."

His eyes lit up, but as he reached for it I pulled it back. "Not so fast." I said. "I don't appreciate being cheated."

"Eh, what's that?" He asked.

"You told us we could keep any other treasure we found, and there was no other treasure save for this one trinket. Are you telling me we did all this work for free?"

He looked down his nose at us. "But ... we had a deal!"

"We did indeed have a deal, but there's nothing in that deal that says I can't simply put this back in the water where it came from. Yes, TECHNICALLY you can take the dagger without giving any recompense for it, but do you really want a reputation as a miser? Or would you rather be known for fair dealing?"

For a second it appeared he would attempt to try to snatch the dagger from me, and Coral gently raised herself between him and it. He sagged back. In the second he was at a loss , I projected the thought into his brain: "Is offending a powerful mage really what I want to do? Might the world not be better if she was happy?"

He stopped for a second, blowing hard. Then , finally, he relented. "All right, I suppose I can't very well send you away empty-handed. I will pay you for your time."

Vote 138:
* He offered us 2000 gold [requires 35 personality].
* He offered us 1000 gold.
* I refused his offer and kept the Dagger of Sharpness.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-01, 11:37 PM
He offered us 2000 gold.

Cuthalion
2014-07-02, 10:51 AM
He offered us 2000 gold.

Se conded.

pendell
2014-07-02, 04:57 PM
All right, so we took the 2000 gold.

He offered us 2000 gold and I handed over the dagger. "Thank you for your business." And with that, we were on our way.

Gold: +2000

We returned to the Full Cup, and I felt amazingly sick. Threw up repeatedly. I asked Harrop to have a look, since I was not in any shape to do any healing myself. He examined, looked around, tapped some things, then looked up and smiled. "Congratulations. You're going to be a mother."

There was a small thump as Mack hit the floor.

Well, I didn't know any magic to select the baby's sex, so we waited nine months and in due course our son entered the world.

It was a little awkward, having a baby staying with us in my room at the Full Cup Inn, but the crib fit nicely. My parents came to visit. They said it was a travesty, forcing a child to live in a tavern.

Vote 139:
What did we name our son?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-07-03, 07:11 PM
No votes?

Very well, I'll let it go until 5:30PM tomorrow and then I'll just pick something.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blue Ghost
2014-07-03, 09:20 PM
I'll cast a vote for... Finn!

smuchmuch
2014-07-04, 04:58 AM
Ray, of course

It was a little awkward, having a baby staying with us in my room at the Full Cup Inn, but the crib fit nicely.

Koi's reaction to newfound motherhood: 'it was awkward'. We're going to be the best mother ever, just like our parents before us. It's the ciiiircle of life ♪

My parents came to visit. They said it was a travesty, forcing a child to live in a tavern.

And they are going to be the best grandparents

pendell
2014-07-04, 08:00 PM
Rolling for :

Finn: 58
Ray: 18

I named him Finn, and we spent a lot of time in the water -- he learned to swim before he could walk. It was awkward, and I didn't get much sleep, but I was determined to be a better mother than my mother had been.

Eventually, we found a sitter and I was able to get on the road, happy to be away from nappies but still missing Finn even so.

I remember a very difficult situation between the Thieves Guild and the Fighters Guild. It started simply: A merchant needed some mercenaries to protect his stores from robbers, so he hired the Fighters Guild. The problem was , a rival merchant hired the thieves guild to put him out of business. I don't know how the Guildmasters didn't see the problem early on, but by the time they realized what was happening, many fighters and thieves had been killed and neither guild wanted to give up their contract. The Mage Guild was soon hired by both guilds to fight the other. This troubled time became known as the Guildwars, and I found myself in the center of it.

Vote 140:
* I had been hired by the Thieves Guild [faction: 0]
* I had been hired by the Fighters Guild [faction: 20]
* I had been hired by the Mage Guild [faction: 115]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-07-05, 05:15 PM
The Mage guild seems to fit thematically, so I'll go with that.

pendell
2014-07-05, 07:19 PM
Okay, we had one vote after the 5:30 PM deadline. I bet some people are on vacation :). I'll wait until 5:30 PM tomorrow to act on this vote, in the hopes of collecting more.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-05, 07:36 PM
Yes, the Mage Guild sounds fine.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-06, 05:11 AM
fighter's guild just because.

pendell
2014-07-06, 04:58 PM
All right, we were hired by the mage guild.

The Mage Guild, led by Dory and Marlin, had hired us to settle the ridiculous contract and stop the fighters and thieves from working at cross purposes.

Mage Guild: +15 [MAX]

Vote 141:
* I followed the merchant whose shops were being raided [and had hired the fighters guild]
* I followed the merchant who was responsible for raiding the shops [and had hired the theives guild]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-07-07, 06:09 PM
No votes? I guess we'll try again tomorrow.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Blue Ghost
2014-07-07, 08:46 PM
Let's go with the merchant raiding the shops.

JBPuffin
2014-07-07, 09:29 PM
the raided merchant with fighter hierlings, obviously. meat shields, don't you know?

pendell
2014-07-08, 05:01 PM
One vote for the raid-er, one vote for the raid-ee. Whaddaya say, random.org?

Follow the merchant raiding the shops: 47

Follow the merchant being raided: 31

So we follow the man who hired the thieves.

We followed him carefully into an inn. He stepped in, and we were astonished to see the other merchant with him! He was in disguise, of course, but that didn't fool us. They ordered wine and set close to the fire , their voices muffled so no one could here.

Vote 142:
* I had Ilse sneak in and listen to their conversation [Thief Power 7: Ilse improves]
* I used my magic to listen to their conversation from the outside [ Divination 55 : Exercises divination]
* I turned myself invisible and went in to listen [illusion 55: Illusion skill is MAX, and so will not improve]
* I set fire to the bar, killing both merchants.
* I walked up to them and demanded to know what was going on.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-08, 07:05 PM
Listened in.

pendell
2014-07-09, 01:47 PM
Okay, but HOW? There are three different options to do so.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-09, 01:56 PM
Sorry.

With divination.

pendell
2014-07-09, 05:17 PM
Thanks for clarifying!

Well, since you cast the one vote, you are dictator for today and get your way!

Our suspicions were confirmed. The merchants were intentionally pitting the guilds against each other. They knew the strife it was causing, and they soon divulged their motive. One merchant sold weaponry, the other sold armor. They didn't care who won the Guildwar, because everyone was buying from them, and they were becoming quite, quite rich from the strife and senseless bloodshed.

Vote 143:
* I informed the guilds.
* I demanded a cut of the action.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-09, 05:59 PM
Informed the guilds.

pendell
2014-07-10, 05:07 PM
Very well, we informed the guilds.

We left the spot and I first went to see Archmage Marlin -- when we laid on the table what was going on, Dory excused herself, as someone of her cheerful disposition had no stomach for what would be a grim and bloody business. Marlin listened, and the worry lines on his forehead grew ever deeper. He sent a runner to Elwen, the head of the fighters guild, and another to the "legitimate businessman" running the local nightclub.

He turned to us, handed us our money, and said "Thank you, we will take care of it from here. You may go."

Gold: +600

I said "So what happens now?"
Marlin responded quietly, "You don't want to know more, and I'm not telling. I said, you may go."
We stepped out.

A few nights later the merchants stores mysteriously caught fire and burned to the ground. The two merchants -- or their families -- were never seen again. Well, that's not strictly true. Bits of them turned up from time to time in odd places. It seems the thieves' guild wanted to send a strong message -- NO ONE set them up to die for their own profit. NO ONE.

Mentally I made a note I was glad that they now owed me one.

Fighters Guild: +35
Thieves Guild: +35
Mage Guild: +35

My peak adventuring days slid by in a blur. While we went on various tasks we saw Finn grow from a baby into a child, taking his first steps and talking. For myself, it was time to return to my studies.

Vote 144:
* I decided to focus on alchemy [39]
* I decided to focus on conjuration [75]
* I decided to focus on divination [69]
* I decided to focus on enchantment[15]
* I decided to focus on healing [93]
* I decided to focus on necromancy [8]
* I decided to focus on summoning [54]
* I decided to focus on transmutation [69]
* I continued to study a little bit of everything.
* I decided to focus on Illusion [MAX SKILL]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-10, 05:21 PM
summoning.

Blue Ghost
2014-07-11, 12:42 AM
Let's go alchemy.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-11, 02:07 AM
I'll say Summoning.

pendell
2014-07-11, 04:31 PM
Summoning it is then.

I went on a wide scavenger hunt for allies to summon and returned with quite a few little red-and-white balls , as well as a large card deck clearly marked.

Summoning: +20

I continued my other studies as well.

Vote 145:
*I studied Arcana[85]
* I studied agriculture [30]
* I studied diplomacy [75]
* I studied economics[20]
* I studied fighting [65]
* I studied geography [70]
* I studied history[80]
* I studied religion [60]
* I stuided smithing [25]
* I studied thievery[30]
* I studied warcraft [40]
*I studied nature [MAX]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-11, 06:00 PM
I studied economics.

Blue Ghost
2014-07-11, 10:39 PM
Let's do warcraft.

Cuthalion
2014-07-12, 09:12 AM
I disagree. Agriculture.

pendell
2014-07-12, 05:32 PM
A three-way split between: Warcraft, economics, and agriculture. Let's roll 'em!

Warcraft: 73
Economics: 10
Agriculture: 37

So we studied warcraft.

I studied every day, reading about the ancient battles of the kingdom as well as the books of the great generals -- Tacticus, Leviathan -- the great heroes and conqueror who had trod the jeweled thrones of the world beneath their sandled feet, or the oceans under their fins.

Warcraft: +25

I wasn't the only one who improved my spare time to improve my skills. All of my companions continued to train and practices. Although they all did well...

Vote 146:
* Mr. Pump improved the most [Power: 11].
* Ilse improved the most [Power: 9].
* Harrop Otter improved the most. [Power: 8].
* Nobody stood out as improving the most.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-13, 05:34 PM
Harrop Otter improved the most.

Cuthalion
2014-07-13, 06:32 PM
Nah, it was Ilse.

Targ Collective
2014-07-13, 09:30 PM
Harrop needs it most.

pendell
2014-07-14, 04:49 PM
Darn , guys. Sorry I wasn't hear yesterday. Spouse had work for me.

But it looks like all the votes came in after 5:30 any way, so it's all good ...
So we're training Harrop.

Harrop improved the most. Every day, day or night, we worked together, I would throw a sentence into the conversation along the lines of ... "I didn't expect..."

His job was to leap into the room screaming "NNNOO ONE EXPECTS THE INQUISITION!"

After a few hundred trials -- in water, on mountain trails, day, night, in libraries, in restaurants, he got pretty good at it.

Harrop: +1

It wasn't always easy, living in a room above a noisy tavern. Finn didn't know any other life, but Mack and I often wished we had a house instead. As an adventurer, the tavern was the best place to stay in order to be close both to the party and to the jobs, so we made do.

I remember one day when Finn was seven years old. I hadn't been on a job in a few months, so my days were mostly filled with studying magic. It was late one night, well past his curfew. I had heard that a man was selling an ancient tome of magic, and I was interested in hearing the price. I left the inn and saw Finn playing with a bunch of dirty street kids.

Vote 147:
* I helped the kids families and made sure they had enough to eat [250 gold]
* I kicked at the street urchins and dragged Finn home.
* I spoke nicely to his little friends and took Finn home to bed.
* I ignored my child and went about my business.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-14, 07:39 PM
I ignored my child and went about my business.

Blue Ghost
2014-07-14, 10:04 PM
We bought the kids food!

Targ Collective
2014-07-15, 07:18 AM
Let's be generous.

Cuthalion
2014-07-15, 08:30 AM
We bought the kids food!

King Indede.

pendell
2014-07-15, 04:40 PM
Okay, we bought food for the families.

The sight of the hungry kids touched my heart, and I made discreet inquiries about their families. I then gathered some of the funds we'd taken during our adventures and put them to work to help them out -- 'rob the rich and give to the poor', after all. I worked to make sure the kids had food and clean clothes and a better start in life than they would otherwise have. They were nice kids, just a little poor.

Then I realized -- I had forgotten all about the tome! I hurried, but by then it was too late -- the book had been sold, and was gone beyond my reach forever.

Gold: -250
Diplomacy: +5
Economics: +10
Good: +15 [MAX]

I was 50 years old when my adventuring career ended. The great dragon , Parnaxxus, stirred from slumber. He had been troubling the kingdom for a few years now, but as he sensed the weakness of the king he grew ever more bold in his attacks, as the kingdom military was almost powerless against him. The royal family , stripped of other options, put an enormous bounty on his head. We decided it was time we pitted our might against the legendary being.

We looked over our skills and equipment before we left.

Decision point 148:
* Bought Harrop an enchanted mace [2000] gold

That's the only option: We have no other options to buy or craft anything or train anyone.

THIS IS IT! The last boss battle of our adventuring career! After this comes the next phase of life, in which we must manage the kingdom. This is our one and only shot at the dragon -- let's make it count! Good luck, guys!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-07-15, 05:35 PM
You're kidding me? We buy the mace.

Cuthalion
2014-07-15, 05:37 PM
You're kidding me? We buy the mace.

Yep. :smallcool:

Lord Ruby34
2014-07-15, 05:45 PM
I would vote against buying the mace. The party is already strong enough to face the dragon, and the mace won't help us out at all after this.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-15, 06:49 PM
I would vote against buying the mace. The party is already strong enough to face the dragon, and the mace won't help us out at all after this.

Agreed. No mace for Harrop.

pendell
2014-07-16, 06:06 PM
A 2-2 vote so we roll it off.

Buy mace: 51

Not buy mace: 56

All rolls, are on a 1d100 from random.org

So we didn't get the mace and pressed on.

We packed up our belongings and left the entire tavern.

We had the support of the entire nation behind us [needs: fame 13]

Our exploits had travelled far and wide, and all the nation heard we were marching off to tackle Parnaxxus. King Gareth ignored us completely, but Princess Emily, the woman whom we had taken to the elves, and her mother Queen Audrey, were there to see us off.

Princess Emily had turned into a beautiful, mature woman. Her light brown hair had turned into a soft gray which set off her eyes. Her mother, Queen Audrey, was still healthy and fit for her age. Together they officiated a small ceremony in our honor, invoking the gods blessing on our behalf. The royal adviser, the wizard Fraledan , helped to equip us and give us aid. Leaning on his wooden staff, he blessed each of us in turn and gave us good advice. Then we were each presented with a purse of gold, and I myself also received a Cloak of Protection, a legendary artifact which I gratefully wrapped myself in. We thanked them and waved to the ordinary people who cheered us as we set out.

Kingdom Faction: +20
Royal Faction: +20 [MAX]
Gold: +500
Gained: Cloak of Protection

Mr. Pump led us forward, followed by Harrop Otter, then Ilse and myself at the end. Finn was there to see us off, cheering with the excitement only an eight-year-old could muster. Mack Erles, my husband, rushed out of the crowd to give me a kiss and hug before we left. We climbed onto our mounts and left Tornassa. This was the largest quest we had ever undertaken, and we knew that it would be a defining moment in our lives.

Vote 149:
* Request aid from the good gods themselves [needs 100 good]
* Pray to the gods for their blessing.
* Pray to no one.
*Request aid from the evil gods themselves [needs 100 evil]

This should seem like a no-brainer, but you should know that selecting option 1 irrevocably transforms you into something very like an Aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar). There are plenty of upsides to this and no downside, mechanically speaking, but it still doesn't seem like the thing I should just do to the character without your consent.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-16, 07:51 PM
Good gods.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-17, 03:16 AM
good gods y'all!

pendell
2014-07-17, 05:19 PM
So be it!

The good gods of the world were pleased with my actions. I beseeched their aid in ou r quest, and they answered in a very real way, granting us the power of angelic blood in our veins. Harrop Otter was the most affected ,his diving magic growing dramatically. People could actually feel our presence when we walked into a room.

Body: +10
Personality: +10
Religion: +25
Good: +20

Any child could tell you where Parnaxxus lived . His mountain lair was legendary and mentioned in every bardic tale about him. It was rumoured to be filled with the treasure of all those who had failed to slay him. We went straight to the mountain, ready to bring down the beast. We paused for a few moments, looking up at the smoke drifting out of the cave at the summit. A mighty roar from above told us that Parnaxxus knew we were coming.

Coral wrapped around me, I dismounted from Hippocacampus and took a deep breath before nodding to the others. We began to climb the steep slope up to Parnaxxus' lair.

The attack from Parnaxxus happened the instant we stepped into his lair. The cavernous opening allowed us to walk four across as we ventured deep into the mountain. Suddenly the enormouse dragon was right there in front of us.

"Why do you come to my lair, mortals?" the mighty dragon bellowed.

Vote 150:
* I bravely told him that we were there to slay him.
* I asked him to leave the kingdom alone.
* We attacked him immediately, hoping to have the advantage of surprise.
* I asked him to teach me his magic.
* I told him we were there to learn his story.
* I begged for mercy.
* I had my party distract him while I stole some of the treasure [needs 75 thievery]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-07-17, 06:52 PM
I'm a sucker for lore.

Storytime.

Cuthalion
2014-07-17, 07:41 PM
Teach me maaagic.

pendell
2014-07-18, 05:45 PM
Okay, we have a split vote, so back to random.org again:

Storytime: 71
Magic: 45

"We're hear to hear your story, find out everything about you and tell the world, O great Parnaxxxus", I said.

The dragon regarded me keenly with his eyes, but I averted mine so as not to be enthralled by him. At last, he spoke.

"You are brave, wizardress". He said. "it has been a long time since I've spoken with one of your kind. A long time indeed."

Then his eyes were lost in recollection as he recounted the long and bloody deeds of his life. As a wyrmling, he had to fight for his life among his litter-mates, and had at last killed them all , as is natural among dragons. He spoke of how he defeated many knights, claimed the mountaintop, collected a fortune, then fell into hibernation. Ever and anon he would awake to terrorize the kingdom, then return to another period of hibernation. The story spanned centuries and took many hours to tell .. and it is recounted in greater detail elsewhere (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.choiceofgames.dragon&hl=en).

History: +15

Now that you know my story, you must die. As it was when I was the only survivor among my litter, so it is now: Those who are equal must battle until only one is left. I ... do not like this at all, but such is the way of dragons."

"Goodbye, friend."

For a moment a tear seemed to glisten in one mighty eye, and in the next minute the world seemed to explode with fire.

BOSS BATTLE!

I was covered completely in flame, but was restored almost immediately as Harrop was there, praying, restoring my burned body even as the last flames flickered out.

The dragon, seeing his first flame had failed, leaped upon us to rend and tear with fang and claw and mighty tail, but he was met squarely by Mr. Pump, who formed a great iron shield in front of us and held him at bay. Parnaxxus paused, stepped back, and then bellowed in pain as Ilse's dagger found its mark in his back.

Thus beset from many directions, he leaped into the air,beating his great wings, and unleashed a second fiery blast which seemed to fill the cavern.

Vote 151:
* I countered the flame with an ice shield [75 conjuration; current 75]
* I healed the damage [75 healing: current 93]
* I tricked the dragon with an illusion [75 illusion: MAX]
* We were enveloped by the flames.
* I had foreseen this [divination: 75]
* I commanded Parnaxxus to stop [Enchantment: 75]
* I raised the dragon's other victims [Necromancy: 75]
* I summoned a mighty giant to defend us!
* [s]I turned the fire into water [transmutation: 75]

Oh, yes: Boss battle music! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztir5aiFCsE&index=3&list=PL5FC4F349004D8706)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-18, 06:41 PM
Countered with ice!

Forum Explorer
2014-07-18, 11:50 PM
Ice Shield!

Lord Ruby34
2014-07-19, 09:05 AM
Ice Ice Baby!

Targ Collective
2014-07-19, 12:26 PM
Yeah, Conjuration seems to be the way forwards. Icy shielding.

pendell
2014-07-19, 04:44 PM
So we used an ice shield to stop the flame.

I made a symbol with my hand and spoke
"Cold wind from beyond the stars! ICE SHIELD!"

The temperature in front of us dropped to near-absolute zero, the water vapor solidifying instantly into a wall of rock. The fire struck it. The wall could not last long, but it outlasted the dragon's ability to breathe.

Mr. Pump rushed forward once more , slashing across the beast's face. The great dragon howled in rage; never had he fought an opponent so skilled. His scaly tail came around with a blur, knocking Ilse senselessly into the cavern wall. Parnaxxus surged forward and seized Harrop in his jaws! Harrop just had time to scream before he was thrown full tilt into Mr. Pump and both went down under a tangle of arms and legs. Next he turned his attention to me, and I felt the full weight of his gaze. Soon I would feel a more tangible weight, as a claw the size of a wagon descended towards me. I had no time to cast a spell.

Vote 152:
* My cloak of protection saved me.
* I dove out of the way [40 body]
* Coral, my snake, provided the distraction I needed.
* I was crushed under his weight.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-07-19, 06:06 PM
Take a dive for FREEDOM!

Forum Explorer
2014-07-19, 06:27 PM
Coral distracted him.

Lord Ruby34
2014-07-19, 08:50 PM
Dive out of the way.

pendell
2014-07-21, 08:20 AM
Well, that was an interesting weekend. We'll move forward at 5:30PM today. Sorry for the delay!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2014-07-21, 05:44 PM
We have a consensus to dive out of the way, so that's what we'll do.

The enormous claw descended and I took the better part of valor -- I leaped the heck out of the way! I dodged aside in time just as the claw slammed into the ground , shaking the ground as if with an earthquake. I rolled over to stare the dragon full in the face. I knew my allies were down, and my remaining life span was measured in seconds.

I remembered my time in the archmage's personal library and I remember coming across an incantation with the notation "NEVER EVER EVER CAST THIS!" -- but I was out of options. I hoped Blamorb would forgive me the blasphemy.

I began to speak.

Darkness beyond twilight
Crimson beyond blood that flows

Parnaxxus' looked puzzled and amused. He might have lifted his eyebrows if, being a reptile, he had any.

Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand
before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand

The ruby ring on my finger began to flicker, to pulse. Parnaxxus no longer looked amused, even somewhat alarmed. "You have got to be kidding me ..."

All those who have become fools
Merge thy power and mine
To grant destruction equally to all!!

The ruby ring stopped pulsing and a fiery orb appeared in the depths of the rings jewel, expanding like a hot little sun on my hand.

Parnaxxus is quite thoroughly alarmed, he took wing, but there was nowhere to run. In desperation he screamed "Don't be a fool! You'll bring down the mountain and kill us all!

I was dead anyway. I pointed my ring at him and screamed out the final phrase!

DRAGON SLAVE!

I barely remember the last word's from Parnaxxu's mouth ... "that is definitely not a common spell ..."

Then there was fire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecbTsBMeBy8)

You have slain Parnaxxus! Congratulations!

The next thing I remember was soft chanting. When I opened my eyes, Harrop was standing over me. Mr. Pump had been unaffected by the blast, and had shielded Harrop with his body.
The two had then recovered Ilse and myself, and Harrop had spent a great deal of time bringing me back from the brink of death. Once recovered a little bit, I was able to add my healing to his, and so the three of us got up ... bruised, battered, yet very much alive.

The dragon had wealth uncounted after generations of plunder. Most of it was now gone, buried in the destruction I had wrought, but even the little that was left was enough to last several lifetimes. In addition to my share of the loot, I found one thing that was worth all the rest put together: A softly glowing orb called a dragonwish. This powerful piece of magic would grant one, and ONLY one , untwistable wish. The possibilities made my mind reel.

Gold: +10000
Fame: +10
Acquired: Dragonwish

This was the end of our adventuring career, as there was no more need to put ourselves in harm's way to make ends meet; we were all set for life. I looked forward to moving out of the Full Cup Inn and into a real house with my husband and my son. My fellow party members moved out right away -- even Mr. Pump, who asked for and received his freedom. They took their share of the loot and the items I had bought, found, or crafted for them. Before I could find a new place to live, something historic happened.

END CHAPTER 3.

The next phase of my life began wihth a summons from the court wizard, Fraledan, to come to the castle immediately. I went right away and was allowed access to the very inner sanctum.

The castle, like everything else in the kingdom, was in disrepair and everything looked untidy. The inner soldiers stood before the throne room doors, and they looked nervous. I approached with some apprehension, but they must have been told I was coming because they stepped aside to let me pass.

I entered the throne room and saw King Gareth upon the throne, loading a crossbow. His hair was more silver than grey, but he was still in excellent physical shape. Prince Eric, his son, stood beside him with a panicked expression on his face. I remembered helping Gareth's queen bring him into this world, and at 20 he was a handsome man, looking much like his father. They were both staring across the room, where Prince Travis -- Princess Emily's son -- stood, and in front of him , with his staff held crosswise in front of him as if it were a barrier, was the royal wizard.

Prince Travis was 29 years old and looked like his grandfather, the late king Norbert. t his feet, I saw an unmoving bundle of rich clothing with a spreading pool of bright red blood beneath it .

It was Princess Emily, Travis' mother and the woman I had helped escape to the elves 20 years ago. She had feared to return to court -- it appears her fears were justified. A crossbow bolt protruded from her, obviously from the same crossbow the King was even now reloading.

"This is madness!" Fraledan boomed from behind his staff.

King Gareth was giggling as he continued to turn the windlass on his crossbow. Drool ran from the corner of his mouth, and his dark eyes looked slightly out of focus.

"He must die, he'll have babies!" King Gareth said in a high-pitched voice. "Like a litter of rats, they'll come against me and try to take my throne!"

"No, uncle", Prince Travis said, his voice choked with emotion.

"Your majesty, you've killed Emily", Fraledan said in a low voice, trying to make the Mad King see what he had done.

"Travis is your nephew, he loves you and supports you. Prince Eric is the rightful heir. There is no threat."

The King only sneered. Then, taking notice of me, he nodded towards the Prince and the Royal Wizard, and said:

"Kill him!"

Vote 153:
* I did as my king requested, blasting Prince Travis with fire.
* The madness had gone too far, so I cast my magic against Gareth, the Mad King [NOTE: Prince Eric is standing too close to the King. Killing Gareth will kill Prince Eric also]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-21, 05:59 PM
We burned the king to death.

pendell
2014-07-22, 04:43 PM
Very well, one BBQd king coming up.

I had no choice. The ruby ring glowed as I gathered the power around me.
"Grant my enemies a final rest..."
Then at the last second I twisted and pointed the ring directly at King Gareth.

"FLAME BURST!"

And for the second time in a week, there was fire (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh-MRrl41RY).

It's a nasty business, burning people to death. The laughter of King Gareth has never completely faded from my ears. He fired his crossbow and then died. Laughing, laughing, laughing.

Along with Prince Eric, who died much more horribly, an image I will carry with me to my dying day.

But for the moment I had other matters to deal with -- what had that crossbow bolt done? I looked quickly, to find the wizard Fraledon transfixed, blood rapidly pouring out of him. There was nothing even I , with all my healing skills could do -- he was already leaving for a better world than this.

Prince Travis and I looked at each other , not knowing what to say , as the guards burst in.

They looked at the grisly scene, and one turned away to be sick. The commander turned to Prince Travis, looking for an explanation.

Prince Travis said ...

Vote 154:
* We claimed that an assassin had entered the castle.
* We said that the court wizard, Fraledan, had miscast a spell. It tarnished his reputation greatly.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-23, 12:06 AM
When in doubt blame ninjas.

pendell
2014-07-23, 06:57 PM
Ninjas it is.

"Ninjas!" Prince Travis said. "Find them and bring them here! They might even still be in this room!"

Of course the guards found nothing, but given the elusive nature of ninjas they could have been standing right in front of us and still missed us.

It was assumed the ninja had a one-use flame scroll and had left. I got some fame for saving the Prince's life -- which, in fact, I had.

The bodies were buried as quickly as possible. Queen Audrey, the mother of King Gareth and Princess Emily, was never the same after the death of so many of her children and became unfit to rule. I suspected living with the Mad King had done her own sanity no good at all, and pitied her. She was confined in comfort and Travis was crowned king some days after King Gareth's funeral.

I spent several weeks helping smooth things over, and was eager to leave; but I never got the chance. I was summoned to King Travis' throne room and officially anointed the Royal Wizard, in place of the departed Fraledan.

OOOOH-KAY, here's where we get a MAJOR decision. I'm going to dump a bunch of stuff here and it'll go into the first post as a faq.

So, finally we're ready for the end game! Think carefully about this next decision because,
once made, it is irrevocable.

1) How do I win?

1A) Usher in a golden age of peace.
1B) Conquer the world.

We must choose ONE of these two options and work towards it; once made, the choice cannot be undone for the duration of the game.

2) How do I make peace?
2A) Manage every aspect of your kingdom to be at least 'good' in all categories.
2B) Accrue a minimum of 15 peace points.
2C) Persuade all 5 factions (elf, dwarf, orc, eastern barbarians, southern kingdom) to peace.
2D) Win the last battle ( so don't let your combat skills go).

3) How do I conquer the world?
3A) Manage every aspect of your kingdom to at least 'good' in all categories.
3B) Obtain a minimum of 15 army points.
3C) Conquer all 5 factions (elf , dwarf, orc, eastern , southern).

4) How do I manage my kingdom?
There are several different areas within the kingdom that require improvement,
such as roads, agriculture, defense, and religion. As a rule, they map to your nonmagical
skills a 1-to-1 basis. There are exceptions. For instance, arcana does not improve any facet of the kingdom.

The different areas are rated, from best to worst, as follows: Excellent, Good, Tolerable, Poor, Terrible.

When you start, each area of the kingdom is rated Terrible (thank you, King Gareth!)

You MUST move every aspect of the kingdom into a minimum of 'Good', or you cannot win.

Every aspect of the kingdom that is excellent contributes +1 peace or war power, depending
on the option you have chosen. So the more excellence, the better!

Every few game moves, you will get the option to improve one area.

You improve each area by applying your skill. The degree of improvement is directly proportional
to your skill. For instance, a skill of 100 will immediately jump you from Terrible to Excellent in one go.
You will have opportunities to improve your skills, so consider doing the things you have the highest skill
in first, improving your other skills, then coming back for the remainder later.

ONLY a skill of 100 will vault you directly to Excellent from Terrible. Any other skill level
will require a minimum of 2 jumps to get to excellent level.

You are also given the option to hire an advisor. An advisor will, for 5000 gold , improve
ONE skill by ONE category. For instance, 5000 gold will move defense from terrible to poor.

This does not spend moves, so you can do this repeatedly in a turn before applying your own skill, as long
as you have money. There are other options to spend money, so you might want to hold on till the very
end of the game to exercise this option.

You can also improve your own skills. In addition to normal training and actions to exercise skill,
you will be given a single round in which you can buy as many tutoring sessions as you
wish in any magical discipline, for 5000 gold apiece.
Training improvement decreases as your skill level goes higher: For example, a single session for enchantment
at skill 20 should vault you up quite high, perhaps to skill level 50. But the same session spent
for enchantment at 80 will only move the needle to 90.

Suggest you hold onto your money until you get this training option, bump up as many
magical disciplines as you can to 100 , then spend the rest on improving the kingdom.

5) How do I acquire Peace points or war points?
As a rule, they are acquired in much the same way. There is one major difference:
While peace points cannot be lost, war point can. This occurs if the kingdom's army is
forced to fight a bloody battle and sustain high casualties, or if a plague strikes the
land or another monster kills a lot of people.

So war points can be lost. How, then, can both peace points and war points be gained?

5A) The dragonwish, if not used, will earn 2 points at the final test.
5B) As mentioned, every category of your kingdom rated Excellent will contribute 1 point.
5C) Different magical disciplines , if brought to 100, are worth 1 point. Different
disciplines contribute different points. For example, conjuration is worth 1 war point (I think)
but is not worth anything toward peace. Some, such as Summoning, apply to both.
5D) 100 faction points with the mage, thieves, and fighter guild are each worth 1 peace point.
I don't know if there is a corresponding bonus for war points.
5E) Some achievements, such as slaying Parnaxxus, are also worth 1 point.

6) How do I persuade the factions to peace?
There are 5 factions: Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Eastern Barbarians (human), Southern Kingdom( human).

You have contact with Elves, Dwarves, and Orcs. Each may be persuaded if you have
100 faction points OR you have a friend of the appropriate race. Since only Harrop has
a relationship with the factions (as a half-orc), we must have 100 points with both
elves and dwarves to perform this task. Possibly our son can help with the elves, but
I'm not sure.

The Eastern Barbarians and Southern Kingdom are distant and therefore have no faction points.
Instead, there will be skill-based challenges to persuade them, and I forget what they are.

7) How do I conquer the world?
As before, each of the 5 factions must be conquered.

You needn't worry about faction points in this outcome; A faction is conquered when either:

A) You dispatch a former member of your adventuring party to act as general. One friend
may conquer one faction, but once having served this way they cannot do so again.

B) You pass a skill check. There are a number of different ways this can be done, but
as a rule each option requires TWO magical or non-magical skills to be at 100 in order to
succeed.

You have three friends and five factions, so you must pass a minimum of TWO skill checks -- each with
two skills at 100 -- in order to conquer the world.

So them's the rules. Short version: Save your money for training and bring as many skills to 100 as possible.

So... now that we've discussed all that, do you have any questions?

Once you're confident of your choice, which will it be:

Vote 155:
* I decided that I would strive to bring forth a new Golden Age for Daria.
* I decided that I would dominate all the lands, using Daria as my tool.

Because this is a momentous decision, we will take TWO days for voting this time around.

See you all Friday at 5:30 PM!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-23, 07:50 PM
Golden Age.

pendell
2014-07-25, 05:05 PM
A Golden Age, then.

I had a lot of work before me. I would have to strengthen every aspect of the kingdom and then raise my relationships with the three guilds and the three largest nations. It wouldn't hurt to have friends from each of the three dominant races to help me with this.

I moved into Fraledan's wizard tower, which rose from the center of the royal castle. My husband Mack Erles moved in with me. Finn loved living in the royal castle, as it was like an enormous playground for an eight-year-old. The view from the top was amazing. It would take me several years to move Fraledan's belongings out, but it was truly a great place for a practitioner of the arts.

My first weeks in the tower were filled with restless nights, as many thoughts flooded through my mind.

The Kingdom of Daria was in shambles; the tax system was brutal but ineffective, the other nations hated us, the lands were lawless and everything was in need of repair. The first day that I saw the royal treasure I nearly cried -- it was almost empty. The rumors that King Gareth had been hoarding his money were completely false. I wonder what he HAD done with it, but it certainly wasn't here. King Travis and I were in big trouble.

Fortunately, King Travis was eager to follow my every suggestion [75 royal family]

King Travis sent all of the Royal Documents up to my tower in order to help me prepare.

History: +10 MAX
Economics: +10 [40]
Diplomacy: +10 [90]
Geography: +10 [83]
Warcraft: +10 [75]

KINGDOM REPORT
Tax System: Terrible
Agriculture and Farming: Terrible
Foreign Relations: Terrible
Kingdom Defense: Terrible
Kingdom Faith: Terrible
Culture and Education: Terrible
Infrastructure: Terrible
Ecology: Terrible

Remember, each facet is rated Terrible, Poor, Tolerable, Good, and Excellent. Everything needs to be a minimum of GOOD to have a shot at a golden age, and the more excellent, the better.

Vote 156:
* Hire an advisor [5000 gold; we have 19760, so we can hire and advisor 3 times in this turn, if we wish]
* Improve the tax system [Economics: 40]
* Improve Agriculture and Farming [Agriculture: 30]
* Improve Foreign Relations: [Diplomacy: 90]
* Improve Kingdom Defense [Warcraft: 75]
* Improve Kingdom Faith: Temples and shrines [Religion: 85]
* Improve Culture and Education [History: 100]
* Improve infrastructure: Roads, bridges, public buildings [Geography: 80]
* Improve Ecology: Mines, sawmills, fishing [Nature: 100]
* I took some time off for myself, doing nothing to improve the kingdom.
[/quote]

You may hire an advisor a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 3x this turn, and you can then use your own skills to improve ONE area of the kingdom. The other major thing to spend money on is magical tutoring, which also applies to the end game and you will have only one chance to do so.

Votes in! See you tomorrow!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-25, 06:24 PM
Improve Culture and Education

Targ Collective
2014-07-26, 12:27 PM
Seconded. Because it is a good choice, an excellent choice.

pendell
2014-07-26, 05:51 PM
So be it! We devote ourselves to improving culture and education.

I firmly believed that the people needed to be educated in order to be productive. Schools and universities, not just for mages, would help teach the people and bring prosperity back to Daria. I took some of the tax revenue to establish schools, create a standard curricula, testing standards, and to hire teachers from around the world.

Kingdom: +20. [MAX].

My first job was to speak with the guilds. They were Daria's strongest internal organizations, especially considering the state of the royal army and guard. I went to the thieves guild first because I needed them to lay off their activities for a few years. The first step in raising a dead corpse, I had learned through my brief learning of necromancy, was to get the blasted vultures to stop picking at it!

Vote 157:
* I used my contacts within the Thieves' guild [30 thief faction]
* I attempted to eradicate the Thieves' Guild from existence.
* I had no idea how to get the Thieves' Guild to back down.
*I talked the Thieves' Guild into laying low for a few years [50 personality]

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Targ Collective
2014-07-27, 12:18 AM
Contacts. Eradicating them seems a little harsh.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-27, 02:23 AM
Eradicate them.

pendell
2014-07-27, 04:43 PM
We have a two-way tie between using our contacts and attempting to eradicate the guild. So random.org rolls , in order they were suggested:

* Contacts: 23
* Eradicate: 88

It was a bold move, to take them out of the equation entirely. I didn't have a very strong army
at my back yet, but I handpicked a small force and sent them into Tornassa with orders to kill on sight. I followed this up by having King Travis outlaw the Thieves Guild and all its members.

Vote 158:
* I rained fired down upon the thieves guild [55 conjuration]
* I used magic to find nearly every thief [50 divination]
* I captured thieves and forced them to go after their own kind [45 enchantment]
* I used the dragonwish
* I let my soldiers do the work.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-27, 09:41 PM
I found all the Thieves with magic

Also we actually can't do the Enchantment version.

Targ Collective
2014-07-28, 08:48 AM
We really, really need to keep track of what we've got and what we've not, Pendell.

Also, Need a light?

5a Violista
2014-07-28, 06:36 PM
Imma vote for I used magic to find nearly every thief using our magicks.

pendell
2014-07-28, 09:33 PM
We really, really need to keep track of what we've got and what we've not, Pendell.

I've been tracking this constantly on the first post in the thread. Is that not enough?

ETA: link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17350501&postcount=1). As you can see, I have tracked our skills, both magical and nonmagical, our faction relationships, our inventory, a complete record of every decision we have made up to now, and a complete recapitulation of all the rules in case there is any question.

In all seriousness, if you have suggestions of improvement I'll listen, and will *consider* adopting them, depending on how much of a workload it represents.

On with the story, as we track down the thieves!

When the word went out , the thieves scattered and went to ground -- but not well enough to hide from my scrying. We tracked them down one at a time, and the square was filled with gibbets as they were rapidly tried and consigned to the hangman's noose.

Despite our best efforts, the thieves guild survived, and pickpockets worked right underneath the very nooses from which their compatriots in crime dangled.

Thieves Guild: -50

The next stop was the fighters guild. With the army in disarray I need them to assist with security in the kingdom.

Vote 159
* I used the dragonwish
* I purchased their services [2000 gold]
* I spoke to the guildmaster [25 fighters guild faction]
* I introduced the draft [25 warcraft]
* I kidnapped their children and blackmailed them into working for me.
* I had no idea how to get the fighters guild to work for me.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Cuthalion
2014-07-28, 10:27 PM
Spoke to him.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-28, 11:35 PM
Spoke to the Guildmaster.

Targ Collective
2014-07-29, 02:50 AM
Agreed. And I knew that decision would have consequences later on, which is why I guided against it.

pendell
2014-07-29, 07:36 PM
Very well, we spoke to the Guildmaster.

I found Mr. Pump, who was rapidly rising through the guild as a free golem. Being completely immune to fear, invulnerable, and as strong as twenty men, he was on the fast track and was already a sub-chief. He was happy to arrange a face-to-face with Elwen, the current head of the Guild. A woman, she was clothed head to toe in black armor and her face was concealed within the helm.

"Good to see you again," she said. "I haven't seen you since the tower incident. Solid work there."

"I'm pleased it worked out so well ... but now I need your help."

"Not the same kind of 'help' as the thieves just gave you, I hope." Though I could not see her face, there was a distinct sensation of her eyes narrowing.

"No indeed!" I said. "Only lawbreakers have anything to fear from his Majesty, and you aren't one."

"The Thieves Guild was legal also ... until you attainted them."

I sighed, and let some of my new angelic nature shine through. "I'm not a traitor or a liar, Lady Elwen. I have no record of such things. The thieves were stealing and hurting innocent people, and we don't need any more parasites when the kingdom is near death. What we do need are healthy antibodies to protect what life remains."

"And that's why you're here."

"That's why I'm here."

"We've got no objection to working security , standard guild rates."

"Which would be wonderful if we had the money to pay you, the treasury is empty."

"It was full enough to afford thugs and executioners, so it must be full enough to pay us."

I sighed. Clearly she was not going to let this go. What , was she in love with the head of the Thieves' Guild or something? I resisted the urge to bite back and stated the case as plainly as possible.

"You've seen Tornassa just as I have, and you know it's fallen apart in the last few years. We have little ability to pay, and we need every coin we can. But we're putting this kingdom back on its feet. You've seen our work on the universities and schools. We're going to be in much better shape in a few years than we are now. We'd be able to pay you a much better rate ... a few years from now."

Elwen's head tilted back. "So ... you're proposing a loan? We work now and you'll pay us more in five years?"

"Just so. I'll pay you a down payment now and you'll get the full amount plus ten percent in five years."

"Twenty."

"Fifteen."

"Done."

And so the guild put its troops at our disposal for a cost far less than if we had to raise an army to do the same job. It would cost us a bit in the long run, but not nearly as much as some of the other options, and the guild would benefit more as well. A win-win for everyone.

Economics: +10
Fighters Guild: +25
Army Power: +1

They don't tell us how much army power we started with, so I've listed it on the adventure sheet as 'starting + 1'.

My final stop was my own guild to see Dory and Marlin. Dory danced around with a smile and even Marlin seemed to crack a small grin in his usually serious face. It helped that I was a graduate of the Academy and held a wizard's staff for service to magic. Ciel, his raven, once again eyed Coral warily as I explained our troubles and asked for the help of the mages in rebuilding -- not only in terms of magical assistance, but also in terms of wise counsel, as until the schools started graduating students the Academy contained the largest pool of educated talent in the kingdom.

* I used the Dragonwish.
* My excellent relationship with the guild gave me a great advantage [50 mage guild]
* I offered them a magical item from my personal collection.
* I created a 'magic tax', taxing all artifacts and spell services [needs 25 economics]
* I threatened to burn down the Academy.
* I had no idea how to get the Mage Guild to work for me.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-30, 01:56 AM
My excellent relationship gave me an advantage.

Cuthalion
2014-07-30, 08:51 AM
My excellent relationship gave me an advantage.

Seconded. :smallwink:

Targ Collective
2014-07-30, 10:40 AM
Thirded. So it goes.

pendell
2014-07-30, 06:52 PM
Very well, we will leverage our excellent relationship.

Although Marlin listened very sternly, I got the impression that he wanted to groom me for the position of Archmage myself -- although my command of Arcana would have to improve if I wanted the position. But he listened and Dory agreed. Mages bolstered the town guard and army, provided counsel, and in general made everything easier, from lifting stones during building projects to finding mineral locations. The Mage guild was a great ally for Daria.

Mage Guild: +25

KINGDOM REPORT:
Tax System : Terrible
Agriculture and Farming: Terrible
Foreign Relations: Terrible
Kingdom Defense: Terrible
Faith: Terrible
Culture and education: EXCELLENT
Infrastructure: Terrible
Ecology : Terrible

Vote 160:
* Hire an advisor [5000 gold; this may be repeated as often as you have money]
* Improve the tax system [economics: 50]
* Improve agriculture and farming [agriculture: 30]
* Improve foreign relations [diplomacy: 90]
* Improve kingdom defense [warcraft: 75]
* Improve kingdom faith, temples and shrines [religion: 85]
* Improve infrastructure: roads, buildings, bridges [Geography: 80]
* Improve ecology: Mines, sawmills, fishing [Nature: 100]
* I took some time off for myself, doing nothing to improve the kingdom.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Forum Explorer
2014-07-30, 07:40 PM
Improve Ecology

You know I've never done the take time for myself option. What happens if you do?

Cuthalion
2014-07-31, 11:18 AM
Improve agriculture.