PDA

View Full Version : Earth glide movement issue and weird build

Catalysis
2014-04-22, 06:55 PM
Hi! I need some help...

I'll try to make it short and sweet;)

I have been working on a paladin wich could fill the role of skirmisher (it's nothing really compared to tier 1s).

Anyway,

Race: I'm starting as a warforged who gets incarnate(d) (and keeps his living construct traits, with DM's approval), I then follow the rite of rebirth to become a dragonborn (Mind), but is finally struck by two mutation: proto-creature (mind is an Extraordinary ability so it doesn't get wiped by the template) and half-fey (inherited template, I know, but I convinced my DM, insisting on the fact I'm born/bred again through the rite of rebirth).

Then I age 300 years old (old age) (even though warforged are kind of immortal).

Warforged (races of eberron/ monster manual 3)
Incarnate (savage speicies)
Dragonborn (Races of the dragon)
Proto creature (bestiairy of krynn)
Half fey (fiend folio)

So I'm a proto incarnate half fey half warforged dragonborn

Fey (living construct, dragon blood)

Class:
Paladin of freedom
Curse breaker variant (complete mage)
Underdark knight variant (complete champion)
Warforged paladin racial substitution (I still qualify!) 3rd level (races of eberron)

Stats (32 buy point)
Str 10 (+4 proto, -3 age)
Dex 13 ( -2 dragonborn, +2 half fey, -3 age)
Con 9 (+2 dragonborn, +2 warforged, +2 proto, -3 age, -2 half fey)
Int 14 (+2 age, -2 proto)
Wis 18 (+2 age, +2 half fey, -2 warforged)
Cha 10 (+2 age, +4 half fey, -2 warforged, -4 proto)

Final:
Str 11
Dex 10
Con 10
Int 14
Wis 20
Cha 10

*note that spell-like abilities granted by half fey have a DC based on cha or wis, I choose wisdom.

Feats:
Flaw -6 initiative : ranged smite (no distance limit compared to smithing arrow or elf substitution) (book of exalted deeds)
Flaw -2 melee: zen archery (complete warrior) (wisdom with ranged weapon)
1: mithral body (I still qualify, also be aware that any archer will sooner or later go into melee, wether they want it or not won't change the boldless mind of twenty bloodthirsty orcs...so better be prepared at 1st level!) (Races of eberron or monster manual 3)
3: Serenity (dragon magazine compendium, only allowed because paladin are multiple ability dependent, replace cha for wisdom for those ability and only those ability: divine grace, smite evil, turn undead, lay on hands. Any feat that is intended to add feature to the paladin and use charisma won't be altered)
6: battle blessing (complete champion, standard action paly spell are now swift action, full round action spell become standard action, no other casting time is changed)
9: divine warrior ( Holy ability on one attack with diety weapon, diety is elhonna, weapon is longbow, overide any magical ability, stack with serene wood material since the ability granted by the material is non-magical, just a little tip) (faiths of faerūn)
12: improved flight (wings at 2x base land speed from half fey template at good maneuverability) (now perfect maneuverability) (races of the wild)
15: Aerial Reflex (+5 reflex while flying) (forgot source)
18: extra smithing or maybe time to invest in the archery tree... Yeah, maybe I need precise shot. (Complete warrior)

Skills
Healing hands (tricks)
Heal maxed (I want to be able to determine the cause of death of pretty beaten up corpse so...)
Concentration (see mithral body) maxed
Sense motive maxed (to be able to know my enemie's power and potential to kick my mithral butt)
Bluff takes the trick's and knowledge arcana (curse breaker prerequisite) hit
Knowledge arcana 1 rank, dragon born add it to class skill list when they take their racial substitution (DM approved)

Short and sweet!

With all of that in mind, what do you think? I'll try to compensate the lack of archery feat with spells like divine sacrifice (swift action with battle blessing, the complete divine version of the spell, not the book of exalted deeds one). If you have any great tips about battle field controler that you would like to share, pleaze do so!:)

So... what is the title all about?
Well underdark knight grant me the awesome Extraordinary ability to "earth glide" (at 12th level) and I wondered two things about it:
Does it only work underground? If so, do you have any tricks to blast of the ground and go bellow it so that I'm considered underground?

Second, can I use my fly speed (half fey template, 2x base land speed) to glide trough the earth, because I saw no mention about movement when usine it in the monster manual entry. If I could fly while gliding, could I take the run action while flying "underearth"? Just imagine: 40ft base land speed (30ft +10ft from underdark knight at level 5) = 80ft flight speed at perfect maneuverability, x5 if I took the run feat from the player handbook at 18th level would give me a speed of 400ft by round while underearth...
Any landfall/ earthquake wouldn't stun me because I'm immune with my warforged paladin substitution at 3rd level, plus since I keep my racial traits, I don't need to breath, so no risk to suffocate!

Final final note: I'm going paladin 20 for the spells and because I don't think I need more...
This is no game breaker, just an attempt to create a good paladin/battle field controler that flies and boldly dive into earth itself.

What do you think of it, playgrounders?

TuggyNE
2014-04-22, 08:08 PM
Not sure why you're bothering with Concentration; ranged attacks provoke with no way to avoid or mitigate that by Concentrating, and swift-action spells do not provoke at all. So the only thing you could use it for is to continue casting in the event of a readied-action disruption, but in most cases any enemy that uses that trick will be able to do enough damage you can't hope to succeed on the check.

Catalysis
2014-04-22, 08:18 PM
Not sure why you're bothering with Concentration; ranged attacks provoke with no way to avoid or mitigate that by Concentrating, and swift-action spells do not provoke at all. So the only thing you could use it for is to continue casting in the event of a readied-action disruption, but in most cases any enemy that uses that trick will be able to do enough damage you can't hope to succeed on the check.

Oh! I thought it could be a good safe conduit in case of melee battle, but you are right. It's swift, so no AoO. Thanks! I guess i'll put these in gather information (skilled city dweller exchange handle animal for gather info)