PDA

View Full Version : Why do you play dnd?

KozanShoku
2014-04-22, 10:54 PM
please voice your reasons and what you like best about playing

BrokenChord
2014-04-22, 11:46 PM
Variety.

Like damn. D&D, 3.0 and 3.5 editions especially, have just so much freaking stuff that if you compiled a list of every fantasy character concept anyone could ever think of wanting to play the list of concepts you could make a character for would probably dwarf the list of things that you couldn't make. They've got abilities of more flavors and styles than I can fully comprehend, it's incredible.

The monster list is pleasantly staggering as well. I'm rarely left without some new surprise up my sleeve as a DM. The number of monsters, the templates that can be applied to them, the fact that they're built like characters so I can retool them... It's all very useful and awesome. There is so much variety not just to the type of monster but the type of challenge you can throw at the players.

Also, I love rules-heavy systems, because when I make a ruling there's less chance I'm being unfair.

BWR
2014-04-23, 02:14 AM
Two reasons.
1: it's fun. The system is ok but it's the settings and the whole D&D feel that's the real draw
2: one of my groups is reluctant to try anything else

TomPliss
2014-04-23, 02:33 AM
1) I play RPGs because video games are boring
2) My group (both as a player and as a DM) prefer D&D because they know it and don't want to invest time in learning something new when D&D is fun
3) There are enough character options to keep me busy for weeks.

Kitten Champion
2014-04-23, 02:35 AM
Tequila, mostly.

lytokk
2014-04-23, 06:56 AM
Freedom to change and shape a world as I see fit. The social gathering getting together with friends and end up having stories to joke about for a long time to come. Also, the ability to vent some frustrations on some hapless orcs or goblins.

Amphetryon
2014-04-23, 06:58 AM
Phenomenal cosmic power to compensate for my itty-bitty living space.

TheCountAlucard
2014-04-23, 07:02 AM
Exalted 3rd Edition isn't out yet. :smallsigh:

Defiled Cross
2014-04-23, 07:31 AM
What else is there to do?

:smallwink:

ElenionAncalima
2014-04-23, 07:35 AM
I love the diverse skill set you can practice while playing.

-Social Interactions
-Roleplaying
-Writing (DMimg or Backstories)
-Logic
-Probability
-Memory
-Strategy
-Creative Problem Solving
-Teamwork/Cooperation

I also love the flexibility with which you cann apply those skills.

TheCountAlucard
2014-04-23, 07:59 AM
Don't forget about throwing skills. :smalltongue:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-23, 08:25 AM
Don't forget about throwing skills. :smalltongue:
And Use Rope! Who knew you could actually be so epically good at using rope?

Raimun
2014-04-23, 08:42 AM
Let's see...

- It's the basic fantasy game
- So many options
- I know it
- Everyone knows it
- Swords
- Sorcery

Airk
2014-04-23, 09:13 AM
So this thread is specifically "Why do you play dnd (as opposed to other RPGs)?" rather than "Why do you play roleplaying games?"

If so, the answer these days is "Mostly, I don't. When I did, it was because it was easier to persuade other people to play, but minds have opened up lately, so I'm no longer stuck with it. Oh, and 4E is a fun tactical miniatures game." :)

Dawgmoah
2014-04-23, 11:09 AM
please voice your reasons and what you like best about playing

Immersion into a character who is facing challenges and foes I will never meet in real life. At least on the fantasy or science fiction side. Not so sure on the apocalyptic scenarios yet...

jedipotter
2014-04-23, 11:52 AM
Fun

I love the anything can happen aspect. Unlike any other type of fiction, anything can happen in D&D.

Spacebatsy
2014-04-23, 02:45 PM
Actually, I have never played DnD, and hardly played any fantasy game at all. To add a sub question to the thread:
As one who have experience only of post-apocalypse, sci-fi and horror games: why does one choose the fantasy setting in general and DnD in particular?

I’m genuinely curious. So far I’m getting from the responses that the RPG experience in general makes people play DnD and that DnD typically have a lot of contents and is a system many people are familiar with.

Phenomenal cosmic power to compensate for my itty-bitty living space.

:smallsmile: Never before have RPG been summarized in a more accurate way

Tengu_temp
2014-04-23, 02:48 PM
I pretty much don't play DND. I do, however, play other RPGs. And I also play the DND/RPG Drinking Game: each time someone talks about DND as if it was the only RPG ever, take a shot.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-23, 02:53 PM
I pretty much don't play DND. I do, however, play other RPGs. And I also play the DND/RPG Drinking Game: each time someone talks about DND as if it was the only RPG ever, take a shot.
There isn't enough alcohol in the world.

Ansem
2014-04-23, 05:51 PM
Roleplaying a persona in a fantasy world without limitations by a coded game engine.
Also my reason for edition choice really.

OverdrivePrime
2014-04-24, 06:54 AM
For the ladies. :smallcool:

Vitruviansquid
2014-04-24, 07:00 AM
RPG's are merely structured ways of playing pretend.

Playing pretend is awesome, especially with friends.