PDA

View Full Version : Help building gestalt bone knight

Banaticus
2014-04-23, 12:31 AM
So, I'm building a gestalt paladin 4/Bone Knight 3//Warmage 7. Any suggestions?
Stats: 16, 14, 16, 14, 18, 18 (I could reorder those if I wanted)
Feats: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Netherese Battle Curse?, Shock Trooper, Sudden Empower*
*from warmage
Although perhaps I should be focusing on divine metamagic rather than charge-type stuff?

2 level one paladin spells/day
6 warmage cantrips
6 1st level warmage
6 2nd level warmage
4 3rd level warmage

Special Qualities:
Divine grace (+cha bonus to saving throws), lay on hands (16 points/day)
Aura of courage (immune to fear), divine health (immune to all diseases)
Turn undead 7/day (as 4th level cleric)
Armored Mage (light), warmage edge, advanced learning (two new wizard evocation spells to list), a feat (see feats)
Control class level * 4 HD of undead, their HD maxes out at my class level
Master of the White Banner (undead get my Cha bonus to turn resistance when within 60 feet of me)

The mount:
Heavy Skeletal Warhorse (with mount changes)
Undead
Hit Dice: 6d12 (47 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (–1 size, +2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11,
flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+11
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d6+4) and bite +1 melee
(1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, empathic link, immunity to cold, improved evasion, share spells, share saving throws
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +5
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 15, Con ---, Int ---, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +4
Feats: Improved Initiative

Any questions, comments, concerns, things I forgot or didn't do right?

thethird
2014-04-23, 01:27 AM
What do you want to do with it?

The most fun I've had with a gestalt bone knight was: Cloistered Cleric 4 / Ordained Champion 1 / Prestige Paladin 1 / Bone Knight X // Binder Y. Binding both tenebrous and acererak and appearing to be undead, but not being undead and healing from both positive and negative energy.

Raezeman
2014-04-23, 04:19 AM
unless i'm mistaken, divine metamagic can only be used on divine spells, so unless you intend to extend/persist your paladin spells, you can go divine metamagic, but i prefer battle blessing (makes you cast paladin spells that normally take a standard action as a swift action).

I also like devotion feats on paladins. Since you seem pretty capable of melee combat, law devotion gives you bonus to attack or AC (your choice every round) and can be fuelled for extra uses with your turning.
Normally i would also like good devotion, but since you already have damage reduction seems a bit of a waste.

Xerlith
2014-04-23, 04:40 AM
Why warmage and not Dread Necromancer?
As it is, your build lacks synergy - greatly.

If you're worried about alignment restrictions for Paladin and DN, don't be. You can simply say he retrained his caster side after acquiring the Bone Knight levels, effectively working around the contradicting requirements.

The DN side should have 8 DN levels, then you may be better off entering a PRC if allowed (two-sided PRC deal).

Banaticus
2014-04-23, 01:43 PM
I went with warmage for the eventual heavy armor of the bone knight and the free arcane casting in it.

Xerlith
2014-04-23, 01:52 PM
Wait, what? Warmage gives you casting in LIGHT armor. So does Dread Necromancer. To be able to cast in Medium you must pay a feat (Battle Caster). In your case Dread Necromancer gives you MUCH more utility and flavor than the Warmage, which consists purely of blasting and is, plainly speaking, very weak.
A build like Dread Necro7//Paladin4/Bone Knight3 is a great deal. Cha-casting from DN, DR 4/bludgeoning and magic, rebuking pool...
Go with Tomb-Tainted Soul feat and you have unlimited out-of-combat healing thanks to Charnel Touch.
Not to mention the 8th level DN ability makes you a great minionmancer. Oh, and you get an undead familiar. If you want it.

Actually, if you don't want to use DMM cheese, Dread Necro7//Paladin2/Favored Soul2/Bone Knight3 gives you Full BAB, full arcane casting + self-buffing capabilities from Favored Soul (Cleric spellcasting), while keeping Cha-to-saves from Paladin.

Banaticus
2014-04-24, 03:32 AM
Warmage gives you casting in LIGHT armor. So does Dread Necromancer. To be able to cast in Medium you must pay a feat (Battle Caster).
Next level, or 8th Warmage level, I'd get "Armored mage (medium)". At that point, the Battle Caster feat would give me the ability to wear Heavy armor with no arcane spellcasting penalty.

Xerlith
2014-04-24, 04:16 AM
Still meh. Warmage doesn't give you anything useful. Dread Necro has much nicer and more useful list - also, synergizes with the other side of your build much better.

Raezeman
2014-04-24, 05:07 AM
nah, if you like the concept of the warmage with heavy armor, stick with it. Heavy armor is best for bone night with his bonecraft armor anyway, so don't go lower.
On the other hand, you could also think about the duskblade for some arcane extra. He also get's armored mage for medium (at level 4), so with battle caster you can also go to heavy. This would fit nice for a melee charger character. If you take battle blessing, you can buff yourself with paladin spells, charge and channel duskblade spells to the mix.

What race do you intend to take? A dwarven sub-race maybe, so your lowered movement from heavy armour doesn't matter.

For stats, remember that paladin spells only go to 4, so a 14 in wisdom is enough to be able to cast them, and you probably won't care about saving throws as they are primarily buffing. Unless ofcourse you want your will saves higher Same for duskblade (if you like that suggestion), only goes to level 5 and you can pick so that you have without saving throws. If you do go warmage, 18 charisma is a must if you will be doing stuff like throwing fireballs around.
How do you think you will be battling mostly?