PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Please give me an opinion about this wish(es)

Jon_Dahl
2014-04-23, 04:09 AM
On his deathbed, a wielder of Luck Blade makes a wish:
"I wish that upon my death, there'll be a mausoleum for my corpse, and a great guardian who will carry me into my mausoleum. The great guardian will stay there forever to guard my eternal rest."
The Luck Blade has three unused Wishes.

What would you say happens? Let's say that the campaign world is Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.

This is my opinion, but I'd appreciate it that you give me your opinion and leave mine largely ignored:
The mausoleum will be a standard example of its kind worth 25.000 gp. I think that would make an ok mausoleum, not too big though. The guardian will be a Pit Fiend, because Wish can duplicate Greater Planar Binding. A total number of 2 wishes will be spent.

OldTrees1
2014-04-23, 04:16 AM
The wish is interesting flavor and has no in-game benefit.
Verdict: Wish fulfilled without twisting by expending 1 wish from the blade despite normally being beyond a single casting.

(Reward the actions you want to see repeated)

JeminiZero
2014-04-23, 04:26 AM
While Greater Planar Binding can get you a Pit Fiend, it won't be automatically loyal to you, and certainly not for eternity (since GPB has a prescribed time limit for open-ended tasks). As an alternative, perhaps the Wish emulates Simulacrum, which lets you designate virtually any sort of Guardian you want. Get one that is immortal, and doesn't require food/sleep, since he is supposed to be spending all eternity guarding a corpse.

Know(Nothing)
2014-04-23, 04:34 AM
"Great," in this context, makes me think "huge." Pillar-sized animated statue of the deceased? Or of the deity he worshipped?

HammeredWharf
2014-04-23, 04:39 AM
A fancy mausoleum with a huge golem hunched over it. The golem sleeps most of the time, but is very angry and badass when awakened.

Pilo
2014-04-23, 05:16 AM
For only one wish :
When he die, turn is corpse into diamond/mithral and make a dragon take it.

The gardian will be the dragon and the mausoleum her treasure place.

And it also fullfil a dragon wish who wants to be rich.

Alleran
2014-04-23, 05:24 AM
While Greater Planar Binding can get you a Pit Fiend, it won't be automatically loyal to you, and certainly not for eternity (since GPB has a prescribed time limit for open-ended tasks). As an alternative, perhaps the Wish emulates Simulacrum, which lets you designate virtually any sort of Guardian you want. Get one that is immortal, and doesn't require food/sleep, since he is supposed to be spending all eternity guarding a corpse.
As another alternative, the wish might emulate a hedged prison binding on the Pit Fiend, which will keep it there forever.

Bronk
2014-04-23, 09:41 AM
I would either have a nice big mausoleum with a stone golem guardian for three wishes, a nice big mausoleum with a helmed horror guardian for two wishes, or a smallish mausoleum with the helmed horror guardian for one wish. If the player gets some in game advice about his wishes, he can make additional wishes if he wants to be sure of a more glamorous outcome.

jedipotter
2014-04-23, 11:43 AM
I always have wishes be a single sentence. So your example is too long. So that would be one wish for the tomb and one for the guardian.

I'd say the guardian could be any immortal type creature, or a construct.

Diarmuid
2014-04-23, 12:08 PM
I see three wishes there.

To be a mausaleum.

A great gaurdian to carry corpse to mauseleum

The guardian to stay and guard the "eternal rest"

I would probably go with some kind of golem as opposed to something that would have to be bound to eternal servitude. Eternal servitude would be extremely difficult to negotiate through planar binding IMO, especially with a Pit Fiend. Your choice of a pit fiend seems fairly arbitrary unless the character in question was a truly evil being who made pacts with devils all the time.

An important distinction would be what the wish's interpretation of "guarding my eternal rest" meant. If this is done in Forgotten Realms, the whole thing could change to there being one thing that carries the corpse into the mausoleum, and then something else that hangs out with him in his deity's realm after he's claimed from the fugue plains.

John Longarrow
2014-04-23, 12:09 PM
Tell us more about the wielder and his relation with the luckblade.

If it was the sword he'd used in glorious battle for the preceeding decated, what he will get should be different than what a thief who's about to die from poison after he stole the blade...

Diarmuid
2014-04-23, 02:16 PM
Luckblades have no inherent intelligence about them. Why would the magic care who the person making the wish is or what their circumstances are?

Wishes are already so subjective, making them more favorable for "good" people seems completely arbitrary and unnecessary.

John Longarrow
2014-04-23, 02:36 PM
Diarmuid,

In a story driven Role playing game, the DM will want to make the wish reflective of the recently departed's intentions, not just arbitrary wording.

In a Roll playing game, it doesn't matter because there are no numeric advantages.

Jon_Dahl
2014-04-23, 02:51 PM
Tell us more about the wielder and his relation with the luckblade.

If it was the sword he'd used in glorious battle for the preceeding decated, what he will get should be different than what a thief who's about to die from poison after he stole the blade...

Gladly! The wielder was a gladiator from a nation that had banned gladiatorial combat. He was, however, the best gladiator of his era and wandered the known world and beyond to display his deadly talent to paying audience. He got lucky with sponsors and was able to acquire plenty of useful magical items and his grand prize was a Luck Blade. When got old, he applied for a mausoleum in the capital of his home kingdom, which was flatly denied. Embittered, he used the wish/wishes to get his own mausoleum and wanted it to outshine the mausoleums of the capital. No grave robber has successfully raided his grave for 400 years.

(Any ideas how to expand this are appreciated)

John Longarrow
2014-04-23, 03:25 PM
Jon_Dahl,

OK, that gives better details to work with!

On a sacred mountail overlooking <<Insert important site here, could be the capitol>> an earthquake cracks open the side of the mountain upon the great warriors death.
As the cliff falls, revealed are massive columns flanking an equally oversized doorway. Within, a long corridor decends to a massive ampitheater carved from the heart of the mountain, domed ceiling rising over a hundred feet above the highest seats.

In the center rises a single massive pillar, circular, 20' across and rising 30' into the air. Around the pillar are carved reliefs showing gladitorial matches.

Upon the pillar rests a stone slab. upon the slab lay the bones of the great warrior and his prized sword.

Across the five hundred foot wide area hundreds of ghosts made flesh fight, fall, and reform. These are the souls of gladiators who died in the arena and who are in their resting place.

The guardian of this sacred vault is an aspect of Kord. As the doorway opens to a 300' sheer drop, few have every tried to reach the gladiators final resting place.

The wish (with Kords approval) moved this sacred location to the Prime from Kords own domain. Kord sent a herald of some kind to bring the Gladiators remains here, and the Gladiator himself is one of the fighters in the arena.

Shining Wrath
2014-04-23, 03:31 PM
I see the following being wished
1) There will be a mausoleum
2) There will be a great guardian
3) Who will carry him into his mausoleum
4) And stay there forever to guard it

That could be called four wishes, except:

(2) implies (4). A great guardian guards. What does he guard? Supplied later in same statement.

So I would call it using up 3 wishes and what he asks for is achieved. The "great guardian", BTW, is going to be about what he'd get from Planar Binding: a CR 18 outsider of the appropriate alignment.

Lord of Shadows
2014-04-23, 03:40 PM

"I wish that upon my death, there'll be a mausoleum for my corpse, and a great guardian who will carry me into my mausoleum. The great guardian will stay there forever to guard my eternal rest."

The more I read this, the more it speaks "Dragon's hoard" to me... there would have to be the odd coincidence of a dragon getting the most valuable treasure they ever wanted at the same instant - perhaps through a Deck or a Genie or an artifact or relic, or even a deity. Time might bend, reality warp, etc. to bring the two events together. Then we have:

"there'll be a mausoleum for my corpse" - the decedent's body is transformed into something that a dragon would consider their most valuable possession; perhaps a massive gem that is also some sort of artifact or relic. And then, if the dragon received this treasure by way of an artifact or relic, perhaps there is some relationship between that one and the artifact or relic that this body becomes. Could make for an interesting back story.
"a great guardian who will carry me into my mausoleum" - this is the dragon itself, that just by coincidence gets/finds/whatever this "great treasure" and carries it off to its lair.
And a "great guardian will stay there forever to guard my eternal rest" - the dragon has already become, or will shortly become, a Dracolich, thereby satisfying the "guard forever" condition.
A Dracolich would also explain why no one has successfully breached the "mausoleum." And just to make things interesting, the Dracolich's lair could be in an underground tomb complex of some ancient, vanished race.

And there it is... a mausoleum with an eternal guardian. Since another creature (a dragon) was also involved in this process, I would make it use no more than one or maybe two wishes from the Luckblade. Gotta leave something in the treasure hoard for those pesky adventurers to find.

Captnq
2014-04-23, 03:50 PM

What would you say happens? Let's say that the campaign world is Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.

Pain. That is what happens. Pain.

Right then and there he dies.
His soul falls out of his corpse and lies on the ground.
There is nothing that says the mausoleum will be great. A mound of dirt with a hole in the side will do just fine. So, a mound of dirt rises up and a hole is in the side.

His corpse Animates as a horrific mockery of life. It lifts up and carries the soul inside into the hole in the mound of dirt.

His corpse will never die. No matter how many times it dies, his corpse will rise up and continue to defend the soul contained within. He will never go anywhere. No afterlife for this guy. His soul is forever trapped, in eternal rest, in a hole in the side of a mound of dirt guarded by his cursed, animated corpse.

OldTrees1
2014-04-23, 04:06 PM
Pain. That is what happens. Pain.

Why would you corrupt the wish?

Lord of Shadows
2014-04-23, 05:02 PM
Why would you corrupt the wish?

I don't know that I would call that "corrupted"... It's more like coming at the question from a Gothic/Horror angle. It tweaks the "mausoleum for my corpse" and makes it a "mausoleum for the soul," guarded by an undying corpse. If it works in the campaign and setting, it sounds perfectly, horribly, reasonable ... in an RPG sort of way. I can just see a party of do-gooders coming across this encounter and scratching their heads, somewhere in Ravenloft or Gothic Earth.

HammeredWharf
2014-04-23, 05:08 PM
Corrupting the wish would be very Ravenloft-y, but we're talking about a normal setting here. Since it's not an Efreeti and the Wish isn't unreasonably powerful, there's no reason to corrupt it.

OldTrees1
2014-04-23, 05:36 PM
I don't know that I would call that "corrupted"... It's more like coming at the question from a Gothic/Horror angle.

That (a campaign with a Gothic/Horror tone) would be a good reason to corrupt a wish.

nyjastul69
2014-04-23, 05:41 PM
It seems like the player is just trying to leave a cool legacy for a cool character. I'd definitely allow it unless the player was trying to use it for some weird shenanigans.

AuraTwilight
2014-04-24, 02:41 AM
Yea, I'd grant it without twisting, simply because the character can't really cheese anything out of it and if anything it's a badass plot-hook for a future campaign. Why discourage this sort of rarely chill and non-munchkiny use of wishes by screwing the player?

Diarmuid
2014-04-24, 08:36 AM
If you do want to make it work, I still think a golem is a more appropriate gaurdian "for eternity", otherwise binding an outsider forever still seems like a bit much for me. Binding it for a year, 10 years, sure...eternity...nope.

Threadnaught
2014-04-24, 09:06 AM
Golem carries the body into a structure worth up to 50000gp, or a mausoleum that is magical and therefore has an infinite price limit. Actually yes, let the mausoleum be magical, it'll cast Gentle Repose on any corpse stored there for as long as it has people buried there. Of course it'll also seal them shut within stone as hard as obdurium of double the thickness.

His own would be the most important at the deepest point of the mausoleum, with the Golem overlooking the grave for eternity, that's one Wish for the Golem and another for the mausoleum.

Alternatively, taking other people's suggestions for Dragon Horde. The Dragon being a Dracolich and living in the ruins of a lost civilization makes a nice mausoleum for itself being a mass grave and all, but that isn't part of any Wish. Neither is the existence of the Dragon or the Dragon being a Dracolich. Those are all things the Dragon would do anyway, the real Wish effect would be for the body to turn into really expensive crystal/diamond/material and a second Wish to inform the Dragon of the body's location, the great guardian would arrive after the Gladiator's death and carry their body to it's resting place. The Luckblade with the last Wish should of course be embedded into the Gladiator's nice expensive body somehow, just so the Dragon doesn't forget about it and leave it behind.

Telonius
2014-04-24, 12:44 PM
I'd say the mausoleum is built to specs.

The great guardian is ... the spirit of the Gladiator. He immediately Gestalts an equal number of Eidolon levels. (Ghostwalk). His spirit is normally resting, but will be summoned if his mausoleum is ever disturbed.

EDIT: I'd say only one wish expended, for the creation of the mausoleum. His own desire to see mausoleum respected would have caused his return regardless of Wish being cast.

Lord of Shadows
2014-04-24, 01:44 PM
I'd say the mausoleum is built to specs.

The great guardian is ... the spirit of the Gladiator. He immediately Gestalts an equal number of Eidolon levels. (Ghostwalk). His spirit is normally resting, but will be summoned if his mausoleum is ever disturbed.

EDIT: I'd say only one wish expended, for the creation of the mausoleum. His own desire to see mausoleum respected would have caused his return regardless of Wish being cast.

Hey, that is it, there. Fulfills the wish and with a minimal of effort/bending/twisting reality. I'd go with this. Not too knowledgeable on the Eidolon/Ghostwalk stuff, but the spirit becoming the guardian of the body fits perfectly.