PDA

View Full Version : Improved Adept, Thoughts?

wayfare
2014-04-23, 09:03 AM
Hey all:

I have a player who wants to play an adept type class, but with spellcasting up to 6 and access to all cleric and wizard spells. Any shenanigans i should be aware of/any reason to deny it.

The party is an unop archivist, a warblade, and a ranger. I think this new player should fit in fine, but input is appreciated

JeminiZero
2014-04-23, 09:11 AM
What is his spellcasting stat (or stats if there are multiple)?
Does he have spontaneous spells (like a Sorc) or prepared spells (like a Wiz)?
If prepared, HOW does he prepare his spells? Does he need a spellbook, or does he just pray for them like a Cleric?
How about: Armor/Weapon proficiencies, hit dice, good/poor saves and BAB?
Any other class features?

Off the top of my head, it *probably* won't be broken, or at least no more broken than a 3 Wizard / 3 Archivist / 10 Mystic Theurge.

wayfare
2014-04-23, 10:35 AM
What is his spellcasting stat (or stats if there are multiple)?
Does he have spontaneous spells (like a Sorc) or prepared spells (like a Wiz)?
If prepared, HOW does he prepare his spells? Does he need a spellbook, or does he just pray for them like a Cleric?
How about: Armor/Weapon proficiencies, hit dice, good/poor saves and BAB?
Any other class features?

Off the top of my head, it *probably* won't be broken, or at least no more broken than a 3 Wizard / 3 Archivist / 10 Mystic Theurge.

We were thing Int or Cha for casting.

The spellcasting does not require a spellbook, but instead requires meditation -- the idea is a guy who studies the stars to get power.

Everything else is basically just an adept. D6 hit die, bad Base Attack, etc.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-23, 10:43 AM
So your player wants to play a Wizard, with a better HD, who doesn't need a spellbook, and can prepare Cleric spells too.

Also, does he need to learn his Wizard spells like a Wizard does, or does he just get whatever spell he wants from the stars?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-23, 10:50 AM
It's fine. Chameleon can already do the same thing, only better and with class features added.

Big Fau
2014-04-23, 10:50 AM
So your player wants to play a Wizard, with a better HD, who doesn't need a spellbook, and can prepare Cleric spells too.

Also, does he need to learn his Wizard spells like a Wizard does, or does he just get whatever spell he wants from the stars?

But only has Bardic progression on the spells/day.

I think making him a limited list caster would be more balanced. Select spells related to the stars, night, light, sky, some divination, and maybe a little conjuration (on top of the normal Adept list).

Xerlith
2014-04-23, 11:07 AM
Give him the PF Bard's spellcasting Spells Per Day/Spells Known (spontaneous) and use Int as casting stat. He'll manage.

Urpriest
2014-04-23, 01:46 PM
I don't tend to like classes like this. I feel like casting should either be at-level, discounted spells like a bard, or always-useful swifts like a ranger. You can't just take the wizard and cleric lists and expect them to work several levels late.

That said, if this guy is the same optimization level as the rest of the group and if the rest of the group has an archivist and a ranger who can keep up with eachother then you don't have anything to worry about.