PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Crusading War Mind build

Farm_Ecology
2014-04-23, 11:36 AM
Hi all!

I'm starting a new eberron campaign, and I'm working on a build to play as. I would like some help if possible.

The general theme is a kind of "blade wall" in front of the squishy members of the group. The idea is to be a strong fighter in my own right, and be able to prevent enemies from reaching the back row (likely by killing them).

I've generally ironed out the basic principles of the character build, starting off with a martial adept class (most likely crusader), and then building on top of that.

The basic structure I believe would go Crusader->War mind-> ??? with the alternative being Warblade -> Crusader -> War mind -> ???

I would likely only take 5 levels in the War mind for the sweeping strikes, and still have access to 9th level maneuvers (if I'm correct).

While I certainly don't want to be a one gimmick kind of character, I like the idea of using the war mind's sweeping strikes to augment martial strikes and AoO from thicket of blades (and other sources) where possible. While also having a martial maneuvers and back up psychic powers for most situations.

What strikes me the most however, is the flavor. A kind of "true psychic warrior" that stands in the front line, and strikes at the enemies as they try and slip by, using a host of martial and psionic abilities to augment his primary fighting abilities.

So my main issues are as follows.

What are some good feats and general "tricks-up-my-sleeve" that could aid in such a build. I know there are a host of feats that give extra opportunities for AoOs which I would likely take (but not focus on), but are there any in particular that stand out?

Secondly, race. I was originally leaning towards a psi-forged character. But between the actual feat for the psi-forged, and the education feat (so I can get knowledge (psionics), it's quite feat intensive even though I will be using flaws. Now I am leaning much towards a Kalashtar which has more power points (even more so when you consider the lack of -WIS), as well as not having some of the down sides to a Warforged. Are there any more good races that would either make the build more interesting (either in terms of flavor or effectiveness)?

Thirdly, weapons. While I'm not particularly keen on spending a feat, a spiked chain seems like a good choice (which also brings me to a rules question, do spiked chains threaten both 5ft and 10ft squares?). Though I may prefer a martial reach weapon coupled with a spike gauntlet.

And finally, I wonder about throwing in a Master of the Nine in there somewhere, to try and go for the whole "as many maneuvers readied as known" path.

Overall, I like the idea of the build, and while it's always good to have a strong powerful character, I don't want to compromise the character of the build.

Thanks for any help!

Xerlith
2014-04-23, 03:34 PM
There is some good homebrew support for martial psi-gishes - how does your group/DM fare with it?