PDA

View Full Version : Books Most anticipated books of 2014

Thiel
2014-04-23, 03:48 PM
What it says in the title, which books 2014 books are you dying to get your mitts on?

For me it's The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan, Skin Games by Jim Butcher and The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch. The last one is a bit speculative since it might still get pushed to 2015, but I'm optimistic.

Trudi Canavan is also releasing Thief's Magic in a couple of weeks. While her The Age of the Five Trilogy was a massive let down after the Black Magician Trilogy, the Traitor Queen was of much higher quality so I'm once again optimistic.

All in all 2014 is shaping up to be a really good year in books.
Really, the only thing that could make it better is if Charles Stross announced that he has started on the third Eschaton book and GRRM releases Winds of Winter. Sadly, none of those are likely to happen.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-24, 10:08 AM
Skin Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Fuego!

IthilanorStPete
2014-04-24, 10:45 AM
Also looking forward to Thorn of Emberlain, if Lynch can make it happen this year. The Rhesus Chart by Stross should be pretty good. If Saladin Ahmed's sequel to Throne of the Crescent Moon comes out this year, it'd be great, but I think that'll be for 2015.

All in all 2014 is shaping up to be a really good year in books.
Really, the only thing that could make it better is if Charles Stross announced that he has started on the third Eschaton book and GRRM releases Winds of Winter. Sadly, none of those are likely to happen.

You realize that Stross has said (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/faq.html) he's not going back to the Eschaton setting, right? (There's more info here (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/09/books-i-will-not-write-4-escha.html))

Thiel
2014-04-24, 11:32 AM
You realize that Stross has said (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/faq.html) he's not going back to the Eschaton setting, right? (There's more info here (http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/09/books-i-will-not-write-4-escha.html))

I know, sadly.

Grey_Wolf_c
2014-04-24, 03:40 PM
Doors of Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle).

Although I suspect it won't be that lucky, and that at best it's a 2015 publication.

I didn't hate The Age of the Five Trilogy, it had some thought provoking concepts, but yes, the Black Magician world is much, much better.

Grey Wolf

Thiel
2014-04-24, 04:02 PM
I didn't hate The Age of the Five Trilogy, it had some thought provoking concepts, but yes, the Black Magician world is much, much better.
Grey Wolf

The biggest issue for me was that I figured out the big twisttm somewhere in the second half of the first book.

Mauve Shirt
2014-04-24, 04:28 PM
****IN' SKIN GAME, God Damn!

IthilanorStPete
2014-04-24, 05:12 PM
Oh, I forgot that Ann Leckie's Ancillary Sword is coming out this year! Definitely looking forward to that; Ancillary Justice was one of my favorite books of the past several years.

ICN
2014-04-25, 01:26 AM
I'm looking forward to Benedict Jacka's Hidden. I'm betting Brandon Sanderson will release another book this year so there's that too.

Cheesegear
2014-04-25, 01:41 AM
Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch at number one.
Hidden by Benedict Jacka.
Shattered by Kevin Hearne
Forced Ascent by John Conroe has been announced, but no release date. Could come out next year.

There are others, but those four are probably my top.

Eldan
2014-04-25, 02:29 AM
Definitely Skin Games.

Also, despite being already out, Words of Radiance.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-04-25, 09:18 AM
Also, despite being already out, Words of Radiance.
Indeed. That was certainly going to be one of my picks, if it hadn't already come out.

Also, isn't Butcher releasing Book 1 of his new series this year, or is it next year?

Reverent-One
2014-04-25, 11:21 AM
I'm looking forward to Benedict Jacka's Hidden. I'm betting Brandon Sanderson will release another book this year so there's that too.

Doesn't look like it. Firefight (sequel to Steelheart) can be pre-ordered for a currently scheduled release of Jan 6, 2015. Though according to the progress panel on his site, a new Cosmere novella, Sixth of the Dusk, has had it's third draft finished, and he was thinking it would come out last year, so there may be a new Sanderson novella at least before the year is out.

Thiel
2014-04-25, 01:06 PM
Also, isn't Butcher releasing Book 1 of his new series this year, or is it next year?
I doubt it, but so far nothing have been released other than a short description of the setting and the title for the first book. At least as far as I know.

Cheesegear
2014-04-25, 09:53 PM
Cibola Burn by James SA Corey. The Expanse series is definitely my favourite on going sci-fi series right now.

Not knowing what you're talking about, I looked it up. Bought the first book immediately. Well done.

Zea mays
2014-04-26, 11:34 AM
Doors of Stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingkiller_Chronicle).

Although I suspect it won't be that lucky, and that at best it's a 2015 publication.

Grey Wolf

Welp, I also doubt we'd see Doors of Stone before the year turns, but look here (http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2014/04/the-news-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/). A not-too-long book about Auri in November? I'll look forward to that. :smallsmile:

(Skin Games goes without saying)

ICN
2014-04-26, 05:43 PM
Doesn't look like it. Firefight (sequel to Steelheart) can be pre-ordered for a currently scheduled release of Jan 6, 2015. Though according to the progress panel on his site, a new Cosmere novella, Sixth of the Dusk, has had it's third draft finished, and he was thinking it would come out last year, so there may be a new Sanderson novella at least before the year is out.

Oh that's a shame, was hoping for another full book this year. Thanks for the heads up about the novella, I didn't know about that one.

SaintRidley
2014-04-26, 05:53 PM
Tolkien's Beowulf for me. It'll be really useful for my work.

Tom Tearcamel
2014-04-26, 08:06 PM
(Spellcheck don't work on my work computer... sorry)

This years anticipated Novels, in Release Date order:

Skin Game (Dresden Files 15) Jim Butcher -May 27
Half a King (Half a King #1) Joe Abercrombie- Jul 8
The Broken Eye (Lightbringer #3) Brent Weeks -Aug 26
Clariel: The Lost Abhorsen (Old Kingdom #-1) Garth Nix -Oct 5

Hororable mention: (not Novels)
GRRM's Rogues (Anthology) Joe Abercrombie, GRRM, Garth Nix, Pat Rothfuss, others- June 17
World of Ice and Fire (companion book) Linda Antonsson, Elio García, GRRM -Oct 28

Not holding my breath for...
The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Kingkiller Chronicle Auri POV Novella) Pat Rothfuss- "November-ish" :smallsigh:

Hoping against hope for...
(Alcatraz Vs ? #5) Brandon Sanderson- "When he randomly writes it in 2 fevreish all-nighters after finishing a long-standing project" :smallwink:

polity4life
2014-04-28, 05:58 PM
I guess I'm late to the game, but Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson came out in March. I'm really digging the series (The Stormlight Archive for those who don't know). I may even buy more books and explore the Cosmere further.

GloatingSwine
2014-04-29, 03:11 AM
I would say Metro 2035, but going by past performance that won't be out in English until 2019.

So, The Rhesus Chart should be out this year (Laundry 5), there's The Long Mars, which I am expecting to be even more like a Stephen Baxter book.

Feytalist
2014-04-29, 03:24 AM
Most of mine has already been mentioned. I didn't even know about the new Traitor Queen book. Also I enjoyed The Age of the Five quite a lot. Pretty light reading, but I thought the plot was pretty good anyway.

The book I'm most looking forward to (other than Skin Game and Hidden), is the final book in Richard Morgan's A Land Fit for Heroes fantasy trilogy, The Dark Defiles. I've been waiting for it since like 2011. Out 17 August, unless schedule slip.

Other than that: Fall of Light, the second book in the Kharkanas trilogy by Steven Erikson, the Malazan guy. I still have like 8 of his books to go through, but yeah I'm still excited about it.

Zea mays
2014-05-15, 09:19 AM
Just found out about this one today: Fool's Assassin: Book One of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy coming on August 12.
Better be just as great as the previous two trilogies involving those two.

Eldan
2014-05-15, 09:27 AM
Just found out about this one today: Fool's Assassin: Book One of the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy coming on August 12.
Better be just as great as the previous two trilogies involving those two.

Huh. Not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, hells yes more Fitz. On the other hand, that story just seemed finished.

arcane_asp
2014-05-15, 09:46 AM
Only one book on my radar until much later this year -

The Long Mars by Stephen Baxter & Terry Pratchett.

Not just paralell worlds, now paralell planets too! Thoroughly enjoyed the first two already, cant wait for the third and final one :smallsmile: