PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Spell

ImaDeadMan
2014-04-23, 03:55 PM
Inspired by Raezeman's thread "least favourite spell", I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite spell is. I'm simply curious as to what people like to use and why and if you're up to it, post your favorite use of the spell.

For example, if my favorite spell was Forcecage I would say it's because I love the utility it provides and my favorite use of the spell was trapping the party bard so we could leave without him because his music was annoying.

Edit:
Psionics count too :)

Vhaidara
2014-04-23, 03:59 PM
Wait, are you cheating on me with another bard?

I'd have to go with Silverbeard. Just for sheer hilarity.

As far as what I'm most likely to use, tie between Fireball and Flame Strike. Fireball because I'm a traditionalist with my mages, and Flame Strike because of good memories of my dad, on top of fitting in with my traditionalist blasters (KILL IT WITH ALL THE FIRE)

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 04:02 PM
Benign Transposition, because it is a ridiculously powerful teleportation spell, And it is very spam-able because of it's low level. My favorite use of the spell is having a raven familiar travel all over town so i can keep switching places with him. Specifically starting fires everywhere in the same minute, and looting saving the church's giant holy symbol. (Did not burn down the church, the gods might take offense)

Edit: I prefer sorcerers specifically for spell spamming shenanigans like this.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-23, 04:02 PM
Dimensional Anchor. Nothing says "I'm gonna git you, sucka" like opening up with it on round one. Efficiency and optimization? That's for the less narcissistic.

Malimar
2014-04-23, 04:04 PM
My favorite spell has to be apocalypse from the sky. But I've never actually gotten to use it.

The spell I use most is probably mage armor, which is boring but practical (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoringButPractical).

Some of the spells I use often and have the most fun with include unnatural lust/reckless infatuation, baleful polymorph, and flesh to stone.

Raezeman
2014-04-23, 04:07 PM
Well well well, interesting thread :p

My favorite spell would be ray of enfeeblement. The first ever character i played is Ryuk, a dwarven duskblade and many a battles started with him using it to soften a foe before tearing him up with the dwarven waraxe.

Spore
2014-04-23, 04:11 PM
Planar Binding/Planar Ally.

This offers all hues of roleplaying options. It's rise and fall of casters, it's sad that it's so expensive (or you have to have a lenient DM).

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-23, 04:11 PM
Arcane Fusion, because Sanctum Spell + Rapid Metamagic, means infinite 2nd or lower level spells as a standard action, with one slot.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-23, 04:23 PM
My favorite spell atm is darkfire - invisible flames visible in the darkvision spectrum, is persistable, does respectable damage, doesn't hurt you or your equipment, count as touch weapons for iterative attacks, can be used at range, and has no saving throw. Granted not the most flexible of spells, but as the saying goes, fight the "blank" with darkfire.

As for different powers which are akin to magic - for the shadow magic / mysteries - umbral touch. Good damage at low levels, counts as a touch weapon for iterative attacks, can slow on EVERY attack, and as any mystery can eventually ignore SR.

And for incarnum - its got to be blink shirt - DD as a Su standard action, all day long, when bound properly turns to a move action. Free get out of jail once a round.

Deadline
2014-04-23, 04:26 PM
Extract Water Elemental
Crushing Fist of Spite

spikeof2010
2014-04-23, 04:29 PM
Arcane Fusion, because Sanctum Spell + Rapid Metamagic, means infinite 2nd or lower level spells as a standard action, with one slot.

How? I'm curious.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-23, 04:32 PM
How? I'm curious.

Sanctum Spell: "A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal."

Arcane Fusion: "If applying a metamagic feat to a spell, use the adjusted spell level and casting time for purposes of determining eligibility for Arcane Fusion."

Rapid Metamagic: "When you apply a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell, the spell takes only its normal casting time."

Cast Arcane Fusion, for a 1st level (Or a sanctum 2nd) and a 4th level spell (Sanctum Arcane Fusion).
Rinse and repeat.

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-23, 04:39 PM
Magic Missile... Force Missile Mage doesn't even give me enough of the shining little motes of whoop***

They are weak and poorly optimized but I freaking love them and the more I can get with twin and repeating spell the better :smallsmile:

nedz
2014-04-23, 04:41 PM
Mirage Arcana closely followed by Major Image.

Lets redefine reality shall we.

RedMage125
2014-04-23, 04:42 PM
Spell Enhancer, level 4 Wiz/Sor spell. Casting time is a swift action, and the next spell you cast is at +2 caster level and +1 DC.

Used with an Incantatrix's Instant Metamagic to produce Twin Maximized Disintegrate spells for the cost of an 8th level spell slot at +2 Caster Level (when my caster level was already boosted by a level of Archmage and an Ioun Stone).

nyjastul69
2014-04-23, 04:53 PM
Magic Missile is my favorite spell. It's a nice solid 1st level spell.

ImaDeadMan
2014-04-23, 04:55 PM
I'll throw in my actual favorite spell: Elminster's Effulgent Epuration. You create 20 floating silver spheres of "No." to guard yourself and/or your allies from magic. I'd love to see the look on a BBEG's face when he's set to drop several spells on the party when they enter the room, only to find that these little suckers just stopped everything he had set up :)

BWR
2014-04-23, 04:59 PM
I'm sure if you searched for it you'd find half a dozen "favorite spell" threads from this forum.
I'll say now as I did last time, Mad Monkeys (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mad-monkeys). Summon a swarm of crazy monkeys that crawl all over target and steal stuff off them. Spell pocuhes, wands, sheathed weapons, hats, glasses, disarming you, etc. dealing damage to said items and potentially nasueating you with a swarm of smelly, noisy beings.

NoACWarrior
2014-04-23, 05:02 PM
I'm sure if you searched for it you'd find half a dozen "favorite spell" threads from this forum.
I'll say now as I did last time, Mad Monkeys (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/mad-monkeys). Summon a swarm of crazy monkeys that crawl all over target and steal stuff off them. Spell pocuhes, wands, sheathed weapons, hats, glasses, disarming you, etc. dealing damage to said items and potentially nasueating you with a swarm of smelly, noisy beings.

Or you could summon celestial monkeys - a pack of them flinging celestial poo while smiting on the said ranged attack. :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2014-04-23, 05:13 PM
If powers count, I like Time Hop. So much awesome utilitarian, offensive, and defensive potential, all wrapped up in an amazing, unique little psionic package.

Deathra13
2014-04-23, 05:16 PM
Gotta go with Bestow Greater Curse for sheer amusement factor. Too many fun uses to count, but my personal favorite is definitely making an entire race invisible to someone.

HammeredWharf
2014-04-23, 05:23 PM
Chained Extended Ocular Irresistible Dance. It's evil, sadistic, embarrassing and hilarious. It also combines well with Sublime Chord.

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-23, 05:32 PM
Gotta go with Bestow Greater Curse for sheer amusement factor. Too many fun uses to count, but my personal favorite is definitely making an entire race invisible to someone.

That's not funny :smallfrown: Due to a poorly worded Wish some 20+ years ago, characters I make STILL cannot see alligators

nyjastul69
2014-04-23, 05:34 PM
That's not funny :smallfrown: Due to a poorly worded Wish some 20+ years ago, characters I make STILL cannot see alligators

There's a story there I'd enjoy hearing if you're willing to tell.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-23, 05:38 PM

Agreed! Sounds like an interesting tale.

Coidzor
2014-04-23, 05:40 PM
I'd have to say it's probably Animate Dead followed by Astral Construct if Powers are kosher.

I like Minions. :smallbiggrin:

I'd have to go with Silverbeard. Just for sheer hilarity.

Silverbeard is great. Especially on a gnome paladin encased in so much metal they're already being mistaken for a dwarf with dwarfism.

ahenobarbi
2014-04-23, 05:51 PM
Unseen Servant. It's low level, long duration so I actually get to use it a lot (my group plays in 1-10 level range most of the time). And it has a lot of uses: providing concealment/cover (holding blanket between me and someone who wants a line of sight to me), stealing (take something while I'm in another room talking to owner), reloading crossbow without using my actions, moving potentially dangerous objects, opening doors, distraction, pranks, poisonings, ...

Kurald Galain
2014-04-23, 05:57 PM
Silent Image. It's soooo versatile and available right from level 1. Of course, I approve of its upgrades Minor/Major Image as well.

Vedhin
2014-04-23, 05:58 PM
Binding Chain of Fate. It's like Dimensional Anchor+Antimagic Field+can't move out of the area.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-23, 05:59 PM
Hmn, so many of you seem to enjoy wiz spells. Props to NoAC and Rubik for bucking the trend ^^

Rubik
2014-04-23, 06:01 PM
I'd have to say it's probably Animate Dead followed by Astral Construct if Powers are kosher.

I like Minions. :smallbiggrin:Check out Psianimate Dead, from Hyperconscious -- for all your undead needs!

Hmn, so many of you seem to enjoy wiz spells. Props to NoAC and Rubik for bucking the trend ^^But wizard spells tend to be where the best spells are. Certainly they're better than the cleric list, though the druid list has some amazing doozies itself.

I like Psychic Reformation. Given the "must plan a character from levels 1-20 to advance" nature of 3rd Edition, the ability to change things around is a godsend. Why should we have to be stuck with the same decisions for potentially years of game-time, especially when there are so many traps in the game?

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-23, 06:33 PM
Hmn, so many of you seem to enjoy wiz spells. Props to NoAC and Rubik for bucking the trend ^^

Hey, mine is a Sorcerer exclusive spell. :smallmad:

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 06:34 PM
Actually, two of my favorite runner-ups for favorite are mysteries.

I love Flicker, i just wish it was clearer about certain things. immediate teleportation is awesome. plenty of uses especially in areas like cities.

Finally Black labyrinth, 1 mile radius of good control effects, especially nice near long drops. And i wish to throw books at anyone who brings up the radius is actually 400ft + 40ft per level.

Kamin_Majere
2014-04-23, 06:37 PM

Agreed! Sounds like an interesting tale.

The tale itself isn't very interesting, its the after effects that have haunted me for over two decades where the story gets funny. I was like 10-12 at the time and we were playing a high level adventure and I had just picked up the spell wish... so I did what and normal kid would do and used it on the first encounter we came to, which happened to be about 30 alligators. So my initiative can around and I wished them away (xp cost be damned) and though I no longer remember the actual wish I made it allowed the DM enough latitude to say "ok you can no longer see alligators"

Ideally that would have been the end of the joke at my expense, but I have been playing with some of those same people off and on for 25ish years so when ever the opportunity presents itself they take great joy in reminding me that I cannot see alligators and by default nether can my characters... this has lead to no short fall of laughter as alligators have become an insane version of kryptonite to me.

The best to were

My 18th level mage that had managed to set himself up as ruler of half the known world being dragged to the bottom of a river and drown by an alligator... that was lame lol

And my paladin falling to his knees and praying to his god to deliver him from what ever unholy abomination was murdering him as an urban druid sent her alligator animal companion to attack me after i power attacked her for 5/6th of her HP in a hit... that battle turned from good to horrible on me quick lol

So yeah never since that day have I had the courage to cast that spell again

Vedhin
2014-04-23, 06:37 PM
And i wish to throw books at anyone who brings up the radius is actually 400ft + 40ft per level.

Indeed, that rule is cold and cruel.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-23, 06:48 PM
Check out Psianimate Dead, from Hyperconscious -- for all your undead needs!

But wizard spells tend to be where the best spells are. Certainly they're better than the cleric list, though the druid list has some amazing doozies itself. [snip]

The wiz list is definitely better. But this thread is about favourite spells, not the best ones.

Hey, mine is a Sorcerer exclusive spell. :smallmad:
My apologies; I don't have the lists of other classes nearly as memorized as the clr list. In that case, props to you as well ^^

TrueJordan
2014-04-23, 08:57 PM
Frostfell, a level 8 druid spell. 20 ft cube/level, anyone who fails the save dies, any who succeeds takes d6/CL (caps at 20) of frostburn damage (enjoy building a resistance to that). Win initiative and belt of battle, and you can wave good-bye to all of the bad guys forever.

Other than that, ray of stupidity, as a 2nd level spell that can instantly kill any animal and most magical beasts, especially when empowered/twinned.

Also also that 6th level druid spell Fire Seeds that can kill any monster in any book (SR be damned!), so long as it doesn't have evasion, with about 1 minute prep time.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-23, 09:05 PM
I know i already gave my favorite spell and some runner-up mysteries, but i have to mention Boreal wind.

i love the giant wind tunnel of a line it creates (20 ft. wide by 20 ft. tall by 400 ft. + 40 ft. per CL), that it lasts a number of rounds, and that it is redirectable. It also does a good amount of damage each round that you have to save from each round. I remember using it to turn villages into frosty ghost towns. and it is only a level 4 druid spell.

VoxRationis
2014-04-23, 09:19 PM
Nightmare from core is pretty good, in terms of the "magical battle between rival wizards in their towers" sort of flavor it imparts. It can spur on an adventure all its own: an evil illusionist is repeatedly harassing the local mage, normally powerful, and the PCs have to track down this illusionist and put an end to it. (The idea works better under the assumption that there's no cleric hanging around the wizard in question.)

AmberVael
2014-04-23, 09:37 PM
I have a number of different favorites for completely different reasons.

1) Flashflood- As a spell for combat it generally won't be too awesome. On the other hand, this thing creates a lot of water really fast. Call this thing Create Lake, that's what it is really doing. There are so many entertaining ways to use it.
2) Improvisation- A really, really cool low level bard spell. You gain a pool of points which you can spend to enhance skill and attack rolls as needed. Its not great at low levels, but at high levels it is Moment of Prescience Lite.
3) Vipergout- Mechanically? You summon some snakes. It isn't even all that great of a summon spell. However... the real point of the spell is that you are vomiting hell serpents at people. That's just something else.

And as for psionics...

1) Quintessence- It really doesn't do much of anything for a single casting, but enough of it enables fun shenanigans. You're messing around with time, and that's fun. Personally, I really like the idea of storing subdued enemies in quintessence. Freeze them in carbonite!
2) Hypercognition- I think this is the best divination out there, hands down. If your DM handles it right, you can always have interesting hooks and hints to work with, and be a strange seer who always seems to know more than they should.
3) Swarm of Crystals- Instant Mailman. No save, no attack roll, no resistances- it'll even work right into antimagic. For when you want damage and no nonsense, this power just does work.

Vedhin
2014-04-23, 09:41 PM
2) Hypercognition- I think this is the best divination out there, hands down. If your DM handles it right, you can always have interesting hooks and hints to work with, and be a strange seer who always seems to know more than they should.

Meanwhile, those of us who want to keep secrets hate this power. It's the biggest obstacle to hiding an item so that it will never be found. You can stop divinations, and even work around Metafaculty, but Sherlock Holmes is nigh-unstoppable.

Rubik
2014-04-23, 09:47 PM
I have a number of different favorites for completely different reasons.

1) Flashflood- As a spell for combat it generally won't be too awesome. On the other hand, this thing creates a lot of water really fast. Call this thing Create Lake, that's what it is really doing. There are so many entertaining ways to use it.
2) Improvisation- A really, really cool low level bard spell. You gain a pool of points which you can spend to enhance skill and attack rolls as needed. Its not great at low levels, but at high levels it is Moment of Prescience Lite.
3) Vipergout- Mechanically? You summon some snakes. It isn't even all that great of a summon spell. However... the real point of the spell is that you are vomiting hell serpents at people. That's just something else.Those are just awesome, especially #3. I'm imagining a D&D/Harry Potter crossover where Harry learns that spell and uses it in his stage-duel with Malfoy.

"OH GOD, HE'S A PARSELMOUTH! AND HE CAN TALK TO SNAKES!"

And as for psionics...

1) Quintessence- It really doesn't do much of anything for a single casting, but enough of it enables fun shenanigans. You're messing around with time, and that's fun. Personally, I really like the idea of storing subdued enemies in quintessence. Freeze them in carbonite!
3) Swarm of Crystals- Instant Mailman. No save, no attack roll, no resistances- it'll even work right into antimagic. For when you want damage and no nonsense, this power just does work.Those are really nice powers, too. I managed to one-shot the epic sorcerer(ess) BBEG of a campaign with Swarm of Crystals, since she basically absorbed everything but physical damage types, so the melee types could have a chance to shine, and she was also in an AMF. She thought she had me as the mole in the group, but I wanted her stuff, so I ganked her before the surprise round when she outed me to the group and tried to sacrifice me as a distraction while she attained godhood.

I was level 16 at the time, by the way. Sweet power.

Seer_of_Heart
2014-04-23, 10:00 PM
I'm going to have to go with Body outside Body because I find the concept of creating clones of yourself really cool. They also are very useful if you can pick up a lot of SU abilities, SLAs, be an STP erudite or a psion and use it, or lots of other abuseable methods.

Eldest
2014-04-23, 10:37 PM
Psionic Minor Creation, specifically for the removal of the material componant and lowering to 1st level. Need rope? Got rope. Need poison? Got poison. Need a salad? Got salad. At level 1.

Time hop, it's fantastically useful, but you need to think to get the most use out of it.

Glibness is fun when I run a bard, for obvious reasons.

Finally, prestidigitation. Do any random little chore for hours.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-23, 10:47 PM
Lore of the gods. Particularly on an archivist of dwarf cleric with Ancestral Knowledge. Know ALL the things!

Coidzor
2014-04-23, 11:26 PM
Check out Psianimate Dead, from Hyperconscious -- for all your undead needs!

I like Psychic Reformation. Given the "must plan a character from levels 1-20 to advance" nature of 3rd Edition, the ability to change things around is a godsend. Why should we have to be stuck with the same decisions for potentially years of game-time, especially when there are so many traps in the game?

It is a nice little power, aye. :smallbiggrin:

It's quite unfortunate that it's tucked away as a power rather than more prominent, but, c'est la vie.

Meanwhile, those of us who want to keep secrets hate this power. It's the biggest obstacle to hiding an item so that it will never be found. You can stop divinations, and even work around Metafaculty, but Sherlock Holmes is nigh-unstoppable.

If you want an item hidden you either want them to be able to find it or you make sure it never actually existed, was not actually taken, or they can't get at it even if they know where it is. :smallconfused:

Envyus
2014-04-23, 11:30 PM
Fireball. I am a simple man and you just get a good feeling from roasting a group of enemies with a single spell.

Malimar
2014-04-23, 11:33 PM

Hey, mine are... well, okay, all wizard spells, except the one Corrupt one. But I've only ever cast them as a witch! (Or, for one or two characters, a sorcerer.)

Vedhin
2014-04-23, 11:36 PM
If you want an item hidden you either want them to be able to find it or you make sure it never actually existed, was not actually taken, or they can't get at it even if they know where it is. :smallconfused:

No defense is foolproof; fools have too much ingenuity. Far better to make sure fools never catch wind of whatever. I was specifically thinking of a lich's phylactery.

Rubik
2014-04-23, 11:39 PM
Hey, mine are... well, okay, all wizard spells, except the one Corrupt one. But I've only ever cast them as a witch! (Or, for one or two characters, a sorcerer.)Burn the witch! Burn her!

Coidzor
2014-04-23, 11:40 PM
No defense is foolproof; fools have too much ingenuity. Far better to make sure fools never catch wind of whatever. I was specifically thinking of a lich's phylactery.

At the end of the day you have to decide whether the Lich is capable of being vanquished or not. If you don't want the Lich to be capable of being vanquished then it'll cut short the campaign anyway once you've got a TPK on your hands.

Malimar
2014-04-23, 11:45 PM
Burn the witch! Burn her!

First time I ever used baleful polymorph, it was to transform the foe into a newt.

Vhaidara
2014-04-23, 11:48 PM
First time I ever used baleful polymorph, it was to transform the foe into a newt.

Did he get better?

Malimar
2014-04-24, 12:15 AM
Did he get better?

That was a concern, but we stashed the newt safely on my private demiplane before the next time we got hit by dispel magic (or, as it happened, a mage's disjunction trap).

CrazyYanmega
2014-04-24, 12:27 AM
Personal favorites of mine are Heal and Venomfire. They're just so useful.

Rubik
2014-04-24, 12:32 AM
There are some nice spells in the BoEF...

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-24, 12:33 AM
Binding Chain of Fate. It's like Dimensional Anchor+Antimagic Field+can't move out of the area.
Why don't clerics get this spell? It's so cool. :smallfrown:

Fireball. I am a simple man and you just get a good feeling from roasting a group of enemies with a single spell.
Ah, a person after my own heart. Although admittedly my favourite fireball is erupt.

Hey, mine are... well, okay, all wizard spells, except the one Corrupt one. But I've only ever cast them as a witch! (Or, for one or two characters, a sorcerer.)
Nothing wrong with wizard spells! They're even better when you cast them as other classes. Streamers? Clearly better when cast by a cleric. Wizards are just jealous of our synergy with will saves or the infinity things that cha synergizes with if you're a witch, as the case may be.

Vedhin
2014-04-24, 08:26 AM
Why don't clerics get this spell? It's so cool. :smallfrown:

Ah, it wins another convert. Personally, I like it for how inescapable it is. Even Swordsage's can't break out with their pesky (Ex) teleportation. The only thing that I'm certain can is a Cheater of Mystra.

Ah, a person after my own heart. Although admittedly my favourite fireball is erupt.

Don't know that spell. Is it like Raise Volcano (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20031017a)?

And while I'm off at the Far Corners of the World, I must bring up Skyhurling and Skyrift (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20050114a). The first is pretty much what it sounds like, the second blots out the sun in a mile radius permanently.

KorbeltheReader
2014-04-24, 08:58 AM
The summon monster line. Every casting looks awesome flavorwise, and each spell is like having the choice of a dozen other spells. It's a damage spell, a BFC spell, a debuff, a mount (with flying, swimming, burrowing, whatever you need!), and a bunch of minor spells you may not have memorized but could really use right now. Plus it's more actions on top of everything else.

At level 9, my energons can keep up with the duskblade in damage. If the opposing spellcaster fails to dispel my fiendish huge crocodile when I summon it on top of him, the caster is out of the fight. My nightmare is a free moving wall of smoke. I can summon mephits for about a dozen different spells including glitterdust and stinking cloud. And my lowly summon monster III spell can summon a passel of flying mounts or a fairie princess that grants magic circle vs. evil and can pinpoint invisible creatures.

Loxagn
2014-04-24, 09:50 AM
I think my favorite spell in the book is Blackfire, just because it seems so gosh darn cool. Yes, it's [Evil], but... come on. I'll even spend a Sudden Maximize & Empower on it just to ramp up the hilarity.

Although at lower levels, I do also love Prestidigitation.

Darkweave31
2014-04-24, 10:13 AM
My favorite and most powerful spell is Read Magic... for with that one simple spell, the entire world of magic is opened to you.

137beth
2014-04-24, 10:46 AM
I have a soft spot for Karmic Aura and its upgrades, Karmic Backlash and Karmic Retribution. Dispelling screen is also fun (I think of it as a lesser prismatic wall/sphere).

Also, Maw of Chaos, partly just because a blasting abjuration spell will confuse the heck out of amateur magic users:smallbiggrin:

On the psionic side, Mind Switch is fun and occasionally useful.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-04-24, 11:01 AM
I love Silent Image. No other spell lets you pull those kind of shenanigans at first level.

atomicwaffle
2014-04-24, 11:03 AM
Sorcerer/Wizard
3. Fist of Stone - The practical applications of this spell are off the charts. lvl 1 transmutation. +6 str modifier for attacking, grappling, or smashing. Gives a slam attack. Duration 1 minute. Outside combat you can break doors, keep doors from closing, hammer something, punch a tree down.

2. Evard's Black Tentacles - This kills wizards dead. Oh, whats that? you have a craptacular grapple check? And you lose access to somatic components? AND it's the exact radius of a fireball? And no reflex save either? HMMMM...

1. Sound Lance - This spell. 1d8/clvl. Sonic damage, fort save for half. Animated objects/constructs take full damage. Can't pierce silence and only one target, but hooboy does this spell do some work.

Cleric
3. Create Food and Water - Keeps the party alive, and can gain favour with local townsfolk

2. Heal - It has to be here.

1. Sunburst - When you absolutely, positively, MUST kill that GODDAMNED VAMPIRE!

Oko and Qailee
2014-04-24, 11:09 AM
I really like Greater Luminous Armor, free shining armor, perfect for that epitome of humility cleric

Bakeru
2014-04-24, 12:34 PM
Um... I'd go with "Mask of the Ideal". +4 on many charisma-rolls. More precisely, +4 on any charisma-roll that could be influenced by how you look (bluff, self-disguise, diplomacy, influence charmed or conjured creatures).

Basically, it's +8 CH worth of prettiness.

XmonkTad
2014-04-24, 01:41 PM
Silence and Shatter are my big 2. Whenever I pick spells for a caster I either make sure they can cast silence, or negate it. It just does so much. Doesn't matter if your Merlin or Gandalf, without silent spell, 90% of that awesome stuff you do isn't gonna happen. Then they hit 11 and everything is a contingency, but for a long time it's just the bee's knees.

Shatter is up there with fly for "you will need this" and it does so much!

Rubik
2014-04-24, 01:46 PM
Shatter is up there with fly for "you will need this" and it does so much!I think you mean "Alter Self," since it can grant flight and lasts 10x as long.

Speaking of, Alter Self is pretty much required, given what a great utility, defensive, and offensive buff it is. Not great for helping others, but it's great for helping yourself, into surprisingly high levels.

Alex12
2014-04-24, 08:23 PM
Prestidigitation. I'm seriously considering renaming the spell "Minor Wish." If there were a single D&D spell I could cast, it would be this one.

Kelgore's Grave Mist is also cool.

Fable Wright
2014-04-24, 10:07 PM
My single favorite spell has to be Black Labyrinth. Screw with everyone within 1 mile for over a week per cast, with some extremely debilitating effects. It's beautiful. I need to make a Big Bad with this spell. Or an item that replicates it. (Actually, can you make scrolls of Shadowcaster spells? Hm...)

Favorite spells/powers from other lists:
Warlock: Eldritch Glaive, hands-down. Quickened full attacks, and opening up entire archetypes? Yes please.
Wizard/Sorcerer: Magic Jar. Aside from all the rules questions, this is a fantastic old-school Necromancy spell: Tremendous power, at tremendous risk. You can do so much neat stuff with it as the DM.
Druid: Control Winds. Because, well, it's a fantastic spell with a ton of utility.
Cleric: Surprisingly, Otyugh Swarm. The image of a disgruntled high priest of plague and pestilence forced to stand over army latrines to summon guards and shock troopers is just too amusing to me. Poor Sizemore.
Wu Jen: Transcend Mortality. Especially on melee-types with UMD. What a fantastic, fantastic cinematic spell.

On a sidenote:

At level 9, my energons can keep up with the duskblade in damage.
Someone is playing their Duskblade seriously wrong if 12d6 damage/round is keeping up with them at level 9.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-24, 10:38 PM
for those wondering an average level 9 iconic duskblade should do about
2d4 (guisarme, just because) + 7(str) +18 (power attack) +~2or3 (knowledge devotion) + 4d6 (vampiric touch) [or + 5d6 (shocking grasp)] +3d4 (arcane strike)

for an average of 54 damage before things like buffs from spells in wands or from other party members, magic weapon damage and blade of blood.

Assuming 15 starting strength, belt of giant's strength +4, +2 strength from leveling, vampiric touch,

actually, 12d6 has an average of 42 so it's not particularly far behind.

Edit: silly me, i forgot to factor in the bonus damage from it being two handed.

TrueJordan
2014-04-24, 11:14 PM
Prestidigitation. I'm seriously considering renaming the spell "Minor Wish." If there were a single D&D spell I could cast, it would be this one.

Kelgore's Grave Mist is also cool.

Least Wish? If you're going by HPatN20

Fable Wright
2014-04-24, 11:42 PM
for those wondering an average level 9 iconic duskblade should do about
2d4 (guisarme, just because) + 7(str) +18 (power attack) +~2or3 (knowledge devotion) + 4d6 (vampiric touch) [or + 5d6 (shocking grasp)] +3d4 (arcane strike)

for an average of 54 damage before things like buffs from spells in wands or from other party members, magic weapon damage and blade of blood.

Assuming 15 starting strength, belt of giant's strength +4, +2 strength from leveling, vampiric touch,

actually, 12d6 has an average of 42 so it's not particularly far behind.

Edit: silly me, i forgot to factor in the bonus damage from it being two handed.
You forgot the two most important things: Empowerings, and Swift actions. Empowered Spellshards (MiC) are cheap for any spell level and can be swapped between encounters, and the Bloodstone enchantment from MiC is practically mandatory for Duskblades, and depending on the reading, you may be able to store your Channeled Vampiric Touch in the weapon for a free Empower. Your Swift action had better be doing something; Blade of Blood is 3d6 that just sinks a little bit into your temp HP from Vampiric Touch, and Veil of Storms is 4d6 if you use Shocking Grasp. Swift Casting a spell is even more damage. So, let's look at that damage calculation again, assuming your 20 strength:
2d6 Greatsword + 7 Str + 6d6 Empowered Vampiric Touch + 3 Knowledge Devotion +2 Enhancement from Wizard's GMW + 3d6 Blade of Blood + 14 PA + 2d4 Arcane Strike = 11d6+2d4+25 (69.5) damage on an average strike, just Power Attacking away the bonuses from GMW, Arcane Strike, and Knowledge Devotion. Swapping to Shocking Grasp and PAing away the bonus on attack rolls from that from that gets you another +11 damage. You're doing 70-80 damage on an average hit. An energon doing 42 damage has nothing on that, especially considering that the Energon has to full attack for that 12d6 and the Duskblade can move+attack for it.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-24, 11:54 PM
k, been a while since i used a duskblade. shoulda know something was off, since i remember the level 5 goal is over 50.

Deophaun
2014-04-25, 12:22 AM
I was quite impressed that you had to get halfway through the second page before prestidigitation was mentioned.

So, I'll go with the non-wizard spell first: kelpstrand. Basically, anything without freedom of movement is screwed. So much fun to break it out on a BBEG and hear the DM say "crap, I forgot you did that!"

Wizard/Sorcerer: dragoneye rune. Little tiny GPS locators for everyone and everything. Such great potential, and yet it doesn't get much love.

Alex12
2014-04-25, 05:07 AM
Least Wish? If you're going by HPatN20

Eh, I feel like calling it "Least" is an insult to a great spell, but I wholly agree with Milo's sentiments.

SalterisSolaris
2014-04-25, 06:06 AM
Resilient Sphere. Ideally with some Celerity on top.
Because it provides so many beautiful ways to say "Oh no you won't!":

"No, you won't scream now"
"No, you won't finish off that downed ally"
"No, you won't fall off that cliff"
"No, you won't punch me in the face"
"No, you won't run away"
"No, you won't drown me"
"No, you won't snatch that relic from my familiar"
etc.

Vaz
2014-04-25, 06:37 AM
I'm currently playing a Neraph Cleric/Ardent Psi-Theurge.

My current battle tactic includes some of my favourite spells/powers.

This is my current battle tactic;

Wall of Incarnum; shield party from BSF's. It forces a Will Save so enemies with low Saves cannot come through; those which do suffer a debuff to Will Saves. I have a Dungeoncrasher within the party who thinks it is utterly hilarious that said BSF who passed through the wall not one second before is suddenly Dungeoncrashed into the wall, and cannot pass through and suffers damage.
Time Hop; a Will Save, or find yourself in the future. BSF's not ganked by the Dungeoncrasher suddenly find themselves blinked out of the current time frame and in the future; by the time the fight is over, (and, Wisdom penalty makes the DC15 check harder to pass) they're just about blinking back into the current time frame to see their fellows dead around them.
Linked Power Psychic Reformation; Psi-Ref is pretty cool, but it's XP-cost and 10 minute casting time limits its effectiveness. Linked Power removes the XP cost and makes it a 2 round casting time, effectively. Turn yourself into whatever you want at the blink of an eye. Works well with "Spells/Powers Known" based on levels characters, I find, and it can be gotten by Limited Wish for Arcane Casters.
Sense Danger; Don't lose Dex to AC when flat footed, and can manifest powers as an Immediate Action during a surprise round (Temporal Acceleration! yes please).

I'm 19th level;

Sense Danger, augment to +14pp and extend it (19pp). During Surprise rounds, Manifest Augmented Temporal Acceleration +1 round (15pp). Use my Autohypnosis check to identify the creatures I'm facing (I make it a thing to locate books regarding local wildlife), then use Linked Power Psychic Reformation to change my type into whatever I desire (8pp) to choose my powers and my skills if it's relevant - say I've not read a particular book about a creature, I use Psi-Ref to get Knowledge skills and learn about my opponent). I then go through the whole Wall of Incarnum/Time Hop thang.

Buufreak
2014-04-25, 08:28 AM
Playing my first caster, and instantly got Baleful Polymorph banned. It has to go down as at least a top 3 for me, just because of the flavor in it and the errata, especially. Take a -4 to DC to turn a person into something that has no survivability? Awesome, I determine that to be an inside-out chicken/squirrel hybrid creature. Let gravity and lack of a vacuum based breathing system do the rest for me over the next minute and a half.