PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Swordswitch - Watersoul Genasi Swordmage|Artificer/Flame of Hope/Destined Scion

GPuzzle
2014-04-23, 07:20 PM
Just a crazy idea I thought of lately.

Flame of Hope +Int to hit and to damage is really freaking good.

Swordmage's Thundering Vortex affects a lot of targets (Expanded Swordburst is also really freaking cool).

Artificers have Slick Conocotion and Magic Weapon, being huge buffs just in general.

Watersoul Genasi have an excellent mobility racial power.

So... I made this nifty little guy. He's got a nova that is, basically, using Magic Weapon at range (that's +1 to hit, +6 to damage already), casting Slick Conocotion and sliding everyone to the middle of the fray, and casting, with the AP feature from Flame of Hope, a Thundering Vortex that basically deals +Int to hit and to damage, ending up at another +6 to hit and +6 to damage, totalling +7 to hit and +12 to damage.

So, his allies are in position, he's marked everyone he wants, and these guys are basically targets. All while being completely item independent (well, except for the Dagger, he can't throw a Longsword).

In short, ouch.

Level 18

Race: Eladrin
Class: Swordmage|Artificer
Multiclass: Invoker
Paragon Path: Flame of Hope
Hybrid Talent: Swordmage Warding

Strength 13
Constitution 23
Dexteritry 11
Intelligence 23
Wisdom 13
Charisma 9

AC 37-->10(base)+4(enchantment)+3(Feyleather)+3(Swordmage Warding)+6(Intelligence)+1(Greater Swordmage Warding)+9(level)
Fortitude 30-->10(base)+6(Constitution)+1(Greater Swordmage Warding)+4(enchantment)+9(level)
Reflex 30-->10(base)+6(Intelligence)+1(Greater Swordmage Warding)+4(enchantment)+9(level)
Will 27-->10(base)+4(enchantment)+1(Wisdom)+1(Greater Swordmage Warding)+2(Class Bonus)+9(level)

Feats
L1-Hybrid Talent (Swordmage Warding)
L2-Intelligent Blademaster
L4-Mark of Storm
L6-Versatile Expertise (Light Blades, Light Blades)
L8-Divine Secretkeeper
L10-Durable (retrained to Enhanced Resistive Formula at 11)
L11-Arcane Admixture (Thunder, Swordburst)
L12-Resounding Thunder
L14-Greater Swordmage Warding
L16-Reserve Maneuver (Icy Weapons)
L18-Greater Aegis of Shielding

At-Will
L1-Swordburst
L1-Magic Weapon

Encounter
L3-Transposing Lunge
L7-Dimensional Vortex
L11-Icy Weapons
L17-Thundering Vortex

Items
+4 Magic Dagger
+4 Magic Feyleather Armor
+4 Magic Neck Piece

So, uhm... Feedback?

Sol
2014-04-23, 09:24 PM
I know it's a mainstay of the original switch, but in general I'm underwhelmed by magic weapon versus enabling powers. It takes a whole lot of attacks with magic weapon bonuses to add up to the damage your strikers should be able to do with a granted attack.

Sure, it includes damage from you, too, but it's not competing with commander's strike as much as it's competing with encounter powers that offer multiple attacks often also with bonuses.

After further inspection, I'm actually not sold on anything that artificer is bringing to the table here. Icy Weapons is significantly worse than Numinous Cascade, which you spent a feat to replace with it, I can't really think of any situation in which Magic Weapon would be better than Swordburst, after that much effort went into boosting Swordburst. Maybe against a single enemy? But soloes are rare, and single standard enemies are going to die anyway.

I think you could make something very interesting with a hybrid swordmage|invoker, however, without even losing movement utility, due to things like tide of the first storm and preserver manifestation (which can enable via agile opportunist). Also, thunder powers.

But if optimizing thunder, I might be tempted to go for Devoted Orator (which would also save you a feat by making Swordburst naturally have the thunder keyword) or Voice of Thunder.

Actually, I really want to play a Devoted Orator Swordvoker now.