PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Conifer Threshold (Druid Spell ?)

Mith
2014-04-23, 07:20 PM
Inspired partly by the Easter Egg spell, this one draws from the use of Pine trees as a ward against supernatural threats from entering the house.

*I do not know how to classify spells, so I'm just writing what I can.

Conifer Threshold

Materials: A coniferous tree.

Cost: 10000 gp

Effect: A Conifer Threshold is placed by the main entrance to a dwelling protects the dwelling from being entered by magical means. Teleportation into the dwelling locates the caster outside the main entrance. Outsiders cannot normally enter the house. The Conifer Ward is protected from all harm and disease, does not require sustenance, and cannot be removed from a dwelling entrance. The only means to bypass the ward is to correctly determine in one session the number of needles on the tree through a Spot Check. The DC for determining success is 25 + caster level. Furthermore, a mind affecting aura radiating from the tree forces a Concentration check of 10 + 1/2 caster level to see if one does not lose count. Failure to determine the proper number of needles on the tree means that the being cannot attempt to enter the house for 24 hours.

The Conifer Threshold does not prevent damage to the dwelling itself

===

So that's my rough write-up. This isn't very useful for preventing an Outsider from killing you, since they can collapse the building on top of you, but it keeps to the idea of preventing child-snatching in the night. Thoughts on improving this?

Debihuman
2014-05-06, 01:05 AM
The tree should be a magic item rather than a spell.

Debby

Gildedragon
2014-05-06, 02:01 AM
I concur. This sounds more like a magic item or Incantation than a spell per se.

As a spell it is missing a few things: most notably duration, spell level, and target.
As a magic item it is missing cost
and as an incantation it is missing ritual DCs and duration and target.

Mith
2014-05-06, 12:46 PM
I concur. This sounds more like a magic item or Incantation than a spell per se.

As a spell it is missing a few things: most notably duration, spell level, and target.
As a magic item it is missing cost
and as an incantation it is missing ritual DCs and duration and target.

Ok. I'll make the changes. Any suggestion of cost? I was also thinking of this being a Druid crafting that creates a magical pine cone that when planted, grows to full sized tree within 24 hours. I would think in this case that a variation of strength of the Conifer Threshold would be needed to signify the strength of the Druid who created it, unless there are suggestions for a set DC.

jedipotter
2014-05-06, 01:24 PM
So your looking for a Druid spell that stops teleportation and physically stops outsiders from entering? Looking over the spells, did you note that Hollow already comes close? Adding an ''Anti-outsider shell'' is simple enough. So just make natural ward: and it has the effects of dimensional anchor and anti-outsider shell.

Mith
2014-05-06, 09:45 PM
So your looking for a Druid spell that stops teleportation and physically stops outsiders from entering? Looking over the spells, did you note that Hollow already comes close? Adding an ''Anti-outsider shell'' is simple enough. So just make natural ward: and it has the effects of dimensional anchor and anti-outsider shell.

I appreciate this pointer. I wasn't having much luck with spell lists when I was trying to get an idea of this, and I was also trying to get it down in rough so that I could see how it read. I will give them a look.