PDA

View Full Version : Using Wand/Staff/Rod With No Hands

Cardea
2014-04-23, 07:46 PM
Is there a way to activate wands, staffs and rods without actually holding them?

I'm aware of the Casting Glove, but is there anything else?

Nettlekid
2014-04-23, 08:24 PM
I think the spell Awaken From Afar (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20011205a) is just what you want.

holywhippet
2014-04-23, 09:36 PM
Dungeonscape introduces wand chambers where you can have a wand slotted into a weapon or shield that you can activate while holding your weapon/shield.

ben-zayb
2014-04-24, 03:19 AM
Dungeonscape introduces wand chambers where you can have a wand slotted into a weapon or shield that you can activate while holding your weapon/shield.
And if you literally have no hands but have a bite attack, you could make a case for mouthpick weapons with wand chambers.

MrNobody
2014-04-24, 04:48 AM
Once i made my necromancer cut himself an arm to the elbow, offering it for a sacrifice.
From then on, i had a skeleton that stood by me during every battle doing nothing but drawing and tying my metamagic rods to my stump so i could "wield" them.
It was cool, not RAW maybe, but cool.

TiaC
2014-04-24, 05:03 AM
The Skilled Telekinetic feat from LoM would do it, but it's hard to qualify for.

Necroticplague
2014-04-24, 05:40 AM
The Skilled Telekinetic feat from LoM would do it, but it's hard to qualify for.

Innate spell (TH)+supernatural transformation could do the trick. Counting prereqs, it's an annoying 4 feats, then one for skilled telekinetic itself.

.Zero
2014-04-24, 07:13 AM
And what about wild shaped druids? How can the use their rods of extend during a battle?

ben-zayb
2014-04-24, 07:35 AM
And what about wild shaped druids? How can the use their rods of extend during a battle?The aforementioned methods above would probably work, as might Casting Gloves + Wilding Clasps.

Firest Kathon
2014-04-24, 07:36 AM
And what about wild shaped druids? How can the use their rods of extend during a battle?

They can't.

Wild Shape (Su)
[...]
Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional.

Snowbluff
2014-04-24, 08:01 AM
They can't.

Take your equipment off, then pick up it up again.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-24, 08:07 AM
Take your equipment off, then pick up it up again.

You can also get a Wilding Clasp on a storage item like a Belt of Many Pockets. As long as your wild shape form has hands or you have the Fangshields Druid substitution levels you can take out and use items even while wild shaped. You can also cast Girallon Blessing to get hands in any form to handle stuff.