PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Item Question

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-23, 09:10 PM
Ok for an idea I had I wanted to bring my own wall for the dungeon crasher, and thus I was lead to Blockade (Complete Scoundrel)

Now how do I make an item of several uses per day, say 4 one for each possible encounter as an example.

I know I need to divide the base price by 1.25 for the charges per day but I am not sure how to calculate the base price.

Darkweave31
2014-04-24, 12:55 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

1 (spell level) x 1 (caster level) x 2000 (use activated) x 4 (measured in rounds) = 8000gp for an unlimited use item

8000 / 1.25 (4 uses per day) = 6400gp for 4 use per day item

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-24, 01:13 PM
The duration multiplier is for continuous items. Also, use-activated is for stuff like on-hit effects. An item that has casting a spell as its sole function (as opposed to a sword that casts a spell when you hit something with it) is usually command word activated.

That would be 1(spell level) x 1(caster level) x1800(command word) = 1800gp for an item of unlimited use blockade. For x charges per day simply multiply the price by x/5.

There's no option in the guidelines to reduce the activation from a standard action to a swift action but since there's other items that allow that you can either just allow it since the spell has a swift action cast time or demand an additional charge for it.

It's not really worth it over a wand if you consider that you won't need to use it every combat. The only reason to get it would be if you're incapable of activating a wand and don't have the skill points to get UMD ranks.

Big Fau
2014-04-24, 01:28 PM
You can use the Ring of Force Walls from the MiC.

Gorr_the_Gastly
2014-04-24, 01:31 PM
Well i want it so he can create walls to crash foes into when they are not in a dungeon or city.

So having it be an set amount of charges makes more sense then if it was linked to him hitting a foe