PDA

View Full Version : Feast of St. George

T-Mick
2014-04-23, 10:01 PM
Almost didn't make it! :smallbiggrin:

Today is the Feast of Saint George! Catholics, Orthodox Christians, I suppose some strange protestants, and certainly the people of England should be celebrating today! For the unenlightened, St. George is the one who traditionally killed a dragon. He was actually a soldier under Diocletian who was killed after berating the emperor for his persecution of Christians, but the story is cool nonetheless! I thought I'd tell you guys, since St. George is the founder of the dragon-slaying hobby we so enjoy.

Comments? Questions? Discussion? Do keep it civil please.

Mrc.
2014-04-24, 02:59 AM
I thought St. George's day was yesterday, ie. 23rd April? Regardless, here in England we often celebrated by having a beer. It feels good to help uphold this most noble tradition by drinking.

TandemChelipeds
2014-04-24, 03:09 AM
I don't see any dragons around, so I guess he did a pretty good job.

T-Mick
2014-04-24, 05:30 PM
Yeah, it was the 23rd, yesterday. I barely got the post in before the deadline, at least on my end.

Regardless, here in England we often celebrated by having a beer. It feels good to help uphold this most noble tradition by drinking.

This is a good tradition, in my book. A proper drink for a proper feast.

Aotrs Commander
2014-04-24, 05:37 PM
I always feel it terribly sad that pretty much every nation in the world (and other sub-divisions of the UK, like Wales and Scotland) have a national day that everyone makes a bit of a deal out of - often even a full day's holiday. Except the English. Where it not only passes often without anyone noticing, but you can even get punished for trying to celebrate. (There have even been numerous documented occasions where people have gotten into trouble for flying the English flag. On St George's day. The thing that makes me REALLY angry about that is the fact that it is perfectly okay to fly the English flag when you are supporting fracking football.)

FinnLassie
2014-04-24, 05:45 PM
It's a very important festival for us scouts. Back home a couple of my friends got some scouting medals, it's a tradition to give them out on St Georgey Porgey. :smallsmile:

Wardog
2014-04-25, 02:24 PM
I think St George's Day is a pretty cool guy.

Eh kills dargons and doesn't afraid of anything.

Mystic Muse
2014-04-26, 05:40 PM
But I LIKE Dragons. :smallfrown: