PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Dread Night

Oseyerys
2014-04-23, 10:14 PM
In the Thunder Rift there's one time of the year that stands out above the rest; the annual Quadrivial Festival. Hosted in the capital city of Melinir, the Quadrivial celebrates the first members of the Quadrial and their accomplishments. It's a time of merrymaking and tournaments in which the year's new Quadrial will be determined. The much anticipated time of the year for competitors is nigh! Champions from across the continent gather in this beautiful city to compete and be named a member of the prestigious title.

From across the country men, women, and children of all races make the pilgrimage to Melinir to partake in the merrymaking and watch the tournament. They all wish to see who will be their protectors for the next year. Giant caravans of people are seen traveling the countryside. Towns surrounding Melinir make much profit providing food and shelter to these migrants. All of the Thunder Rift is bustling in anticipation of this festival.

It is in one of these caravans that you all find yourselves. On the long journey you get to know a few people, see a few familiar faces and share drink with strangers. This is a time of companionship. And after having traveled together for a while, you finally begin see the white towers of your destination in the distance; the glorious city of Melinir. It is not the capital of the Thunder Rift for no reason. Melinir is truly a sight to behold, even from a distance. Some of the people next to you stop and gasp at the city's beauty. The people grow excited with anticipation of almost reaching their destination...

Of to the right of the caravan in the distance you happen to cast a passing glance and see two men on horseback racing towards you. As they get closer you see that one is wearing the traditional soldiers' garb of chain mail while the other appears to be wearing an elaborate scale mail shirt. You keep your eye on them and your hand on any weapon you may have. They near the front of the caravan and converse with the people in front of you. Slowly they make their way back towards your section of the caravan...

The one with the scale mail addresses the crowd you're in as you are passing by, "Someone! Please I seek your aid! My town of Hovel is under attack! Any help you may provide would be of great assistance! My companion and I beseech your help! I know many of you are adventurers and warriors in your own right seeking a place in the tournament in Melinir, so please, will not one of you help us in our hour of need?"

You notice nearly everyone passes the man in the scale mail shirt and his companion by, trying to avoid eye contact with him. This is where your adventure begins...

Smileybastard
2014-04-24, 06:23 AM
Ithelian

Ithelian breaks out of the mix of observation and boredom. Certainly this is a break from the typical day on this caravan. "What is attacking your town?

Ithelian takes special care to pay attention to the man in scale.

Perception [roll0]

Rokku
2014-04-24, 06:57 AM
Caroline

Caroline hops down from Precious, who immediately sticks his head into the nearest thing that seems edible. For a camel, that's a lot of things.

"We'd be happy to help you mister, assuming you're not overrun with something out of our league."

meemaas
2014-04-24, 07:13 AM
Ortega

The burly young man stops where he is, standing on the edge of the people around the speaker, he listens carefully to the answers to the questions have already been asked.

PhoenixRise
2014-04-24, 09:02 AM
Hearing a commotion brewing, Riku naturally is drawn towards it. He hops of the wagon, and asks the man What be it may ails you? Perhaps the terrible beasts of the forest, or abominations, fabled to have come from the wizard's spire? Whatever it may be, I will be sure to see it for myself!

UsaSatsui
2014-04-24, 11:07 AM
JC

Dozing on a nearby supply card (despite being asked not to several times), he is disturbed by the commotion. He sits up and looks over, listening, but not saying anything.

Oseyerys
2014-04-24, 11:36 AM
The man in the scale mail once again speaks to those of you who addressed him.

"My town, Hovel, is currently under attack from a band of goblins. We know not where they came from exactly but yes", he says looking at Riku, "We presume they came from the Wizard Spire since our town is rather near it. I know it is out of your way but please, I ask for your help in this, my companion and I barely escaped to find help as it is."

Ithelian

Taking a closer look at the man you see he carries a longsword at his side, as does the soldier at his side. You can tell that, this man had the build of an adventurer but it would seem that age has caught up with him. He sits atop the horse as though he knows exactly what he's about and he has a confidence that strikes you as someone who, in his adventuring days, was quite the leader. How however, his gray hair and weathered skin reveal him to be someone who doesn't go adventuring anymore and more than likely helps provide defense to his town. His eyes have a worried look in them and, as far as you can tell, that worry is genuine.

UsaSatsui
2014-04-24, 12:48 PM
JC
He sighed quietly to himself as he gathered up his things. People were always looking for other people to solve their problems. It was annoying, really. But he was going anyways, and he knew it. People in need were people in need, and this was perhaps the most boring trip he'd taken in months and heck if he was staying still when something to do popped up. But he was still annoyed about it. A little.

Without speaking, he finished gathering his stuff and hopped off the cart, ready to follow whoever else appeared to be going.

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-24, 02:37 PM
Anawen

Anawen cracked her knuckles. "Alright, count me in." she says.

Smileybastard
2014-04-24, 08:13 PM
Ithelian

Ithelian nods listening. "A wizard's tower you say? I assume abandoned? I'll help. The academy can wait."

The slim man picks up his longspear.

PhoenixRise
2014-04-25, 12:03 PM
The tower you say? An excellent source of information is what it seems to me! I will join, to chronologue these monsters from the spire
With that, Riku hops off the wagon, joining the others who did likewise.

Oseyerys
2014-04-26, 07:45 PM
"May the gods bless you all", the man in the scale mail says, "My name is Grale. It is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance. We better be off, when I left my town was in disarray and the goblins were preparing to invade, no doubt by now they have attacked it. I fear the worst."

Grale pays some of the travelers in the caravan for some horses for you to ride. He nods at Caroline who has her companion to ride. You all set off back in the direction Grale and the soldier came, heading for hovel.

On the journey Grale tells you about how Hovel lies just east of the Wizard Spire. The Spire is supposed to be abandoned but strange lights and noises have been seen coming from there. A few men went to investigate but none ever returned. The people then avoided the Spire at all costs but the goblin attack is proof that this will not be an option.

After about an hour of travel over grasslands you see smoke rising in the distance. The soldier traveling with Grale gasps. The town of Hovel has been set on fire. Even from this distance you can hear the faint sounds of fighting.

"We must hurry! They won't last long without us!", Grale exclaims and spurs his steed in to a swift gallop. You arrive at the town not a moment too soon it would seem and see goblins running around attacking villagers and guards alike.

Grale leads you into Hovel and to the center of town where a group of 12 or so goblins are trying to erect a flag of their own to claim the town...

Roll for initiative and start smashing things

meemaas
2014-04-26, 07:52 PM
Ortega

In a swift action, Ortega whips his whip off his body and lunges towards one of the nearest goblins. Spinning with impressive grace, he'd swing the weapon around himself until it hit dead onto the Goblins side.

Initiative [roll0]

Charge attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-26, 08:01 PM
Anawen

Anawen unholsters her pistol and aims at a goblin. She then pulls the trigger. Smoke conceals the bullet as it comes out of the barrel. Anawen then places her pistol in her shield hand ((light shields are free for anything but attacking)) and reloads the pistol with quick speed. She then looks up to see a missed shot "Damn."

[roll0] init
[roll1] misfire on one (8) +1 if within 30. Touch attack within 20 ft.
[roll]1d8+1[roll] +1 within 30

PhoenixRise
2014-04-26, 10:39 PM
Riku, sighting those goblins, immediatly commence weaving his hands, invoking a spell

Initiative: [roll0]
Action: Cast Grease immediately in front of the Goblins, between them and us. If they are split, cast it in between the ones that are closes to our group and us.

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 10:54 PM
Ithelian

Ithelian seems dismayed by the idea of violence, but still without hesitation charges forward. He scans the are for hidden goblins as he charges forward.

Init [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Attack [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

UsaSatsui
2014-04-27, 12:54 AM
JC
Horses. Ugh. He didn't know why, but for some reason these things always gave him the creeps. Still, since there was a need to hurry, he didn't complain.

When he spots the goblins, he suddenly springs into action. With a burst of energy, he charges full-on at the closest goblin, letting out a shout as he launches into a handspring, which finishes with a flying kick.

Charging the nearest goblin and attacking for nonlethal damage.
Init - [roll0]
Attack - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]
[b]Sneak Attack (if applicable) - [roll3]

Rokku
2014-04-29, 10:18 AM
Caroline

Caroline drops from Precious' back, allowing the camel to do his thing -- which in this case, is chomping on goblins. Meanwhile she calls up her magic, conjuring grease to send goblins sprawling.

Initiative [roll0] Precious charges the nearest goblin! Attack [roll1] Damage [roll2]. Caroline casts Grease, Reflex DC 16.

Oseyerys
2014-04-29, 11:32 PM
Riku

You shoot out the grease in front of the goblins. They notice the group and take arms, six of them come out at you right where you laid the grease. Only one manages to keep his footing and continue his advance. The others fall in a tangle of legs. Your grease pays off.

JC

You leap towards the other six goblins, you pounce on one of them. He sees you coming, yells a guttural war cry at you, and rolls away from your death kick.

Anawen

You fire away at the goblin who made it without falling from Riku's spell however his footing is unsure and you can't accurately predict his movements. Your shot misses as he stumbles to catch himself and keeps his advance.

Ortega

You charge in behind JC to cover his back. These goblins prove to be more challenging than your run of the mill creatures it would seem since this one too dodges your swing.

Ithelian

You too charge in behind Ortega but these creatures are no strangers to combat it would seem as they simply make room for you in the fray but are not caught in your weapon's path.

Caroline

Seeing that your friends may require some aid, you shoot out grease to coat the ground at the base of the elusive goblins' feet. On their side too five of the goblins slip and fall. One remains standing.

Goblin wading through Riku's Grease

The goblin makes his way up to Riku and swings his short sword at you. Riku sidesteps and dodges the sloppy swing. It would seem that they are better at dodging weapons than handling them.

Goblin wading through Caroline's Grease

This goblin swings at Ithelian, picking his closest target. In the grease it is really simple to slide out of the way of the goblin's reach and sword.

Other Goblins

The other goblins spend their time trying to find their feet.

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-04-30, 08:09 PM
Anawen fired again and then reloads her gun.

[roll0] misfire on one (8) +1 if within 30. Touch attack within 20 ft.
[roll1] +1 within 30

Smileybastard
2014-04-30, 08:58 PM
Ithelian

As the goblins advance on Ithelian he thrusts at two of them.

AoO Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

AoO Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

UsaSatsui
2014-05-01, 10:18 PM
JC
Undeterred by his missed kick, he uses the momentum from it to expertly slide through the grease (kind of like he'd done it before, not like he wanted to bring THAT story up). Spinning like the world's ugliest figure skater, he ends up behind the remaining standing goblin and, while it's distracted by one of his allies, aims a punch right at the goblin's kidneys (or where he assumed a goblin's kidney was, the subject never came up in his studies much).

Acrobatics check for moving through grease, moving to flank, then a nonlethal attack to the flanked goblin.
Acrobatics -
Attack - [roll1]
Damage - [roll]1d6+1d6+1

EDIT - I totally screwed that damage roll up (thought I would be cute), but it doesn't look like it matters. Sheesh.

meemaas
2014-05-02, 08:37 PM
Ortega

Ortega spun around, his whip trailing him as he did, muttering a powerful chant, he'd lash his whip against the goblins side, and try to spin it around for a second blow.

As a full round action, I am going to spell combat and spellstrike the nearest goblin to me.

Casting Acid Splash for my spellstrike [roll0] VS DC 15

Attack roll (Spellstrike, swift action) [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Acid Splash [roll3]

Normal Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

PhoenixRise
2014-05-08, 09:42 PM
Though I am not much a fighter, allow me to log down this commencement of an epic battle

With that, Riku pulls out his journal, and commences narrating the the battle which plays out before him, all the while scribbling down in his journal.

Commence Inspire courage (Perform(Orate))
+1 saves against charm and fear
+1 to attack and damage rolls

Oseyerys
2014-05-13, 09:47 PM
Riku

Your recording causes your companions to want to perform better and they do. You note how JC dances around the goblins like an experienced acrobat. You describe the sound and light that flashes from the end of Anawen's peculiar artifact she wields. And the shimmering aura surrounding Ortega as he binds spells to steel and strikes with such lethality. And of course you are sure to mention Ithelian's beautiful fluid movements with his spear as it appears to simply be an extension of his arm.

JC

You manage to dance around the goblins that are sprawled out in the slick grease and attempt to kidney-shot the last standing goblin, however a goblin's kidney's are not in the normal place it would seem as your blow (while it was a powerful and lethal one) seems to glance off it's armor as it moves to the side.

Anawen

You walk up to one of the goblins in sprawled around the group in melee and aim at it. The goblin looks up just in time to stare up into the barrel of your weapon before you put a bullet between it's eyes killing it.

Ortega

In a whirlwind of magic and steel you manage to take advantage of the goblin's prone position and eviscerate it handily.

Ithelian

You feint a jab at the standing goblin and cut underneath it's attempted block. Your spear strikes home as the goblin shrieks in pain and surprise before it falls.

To all

You see the other six goblins on the ground in the grease trying to find their feet. You watch as the old man, Grale, walks up to them and stretches out his hands.

"BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL!!!!", he shouts and a large ball of fire flies at the group of six exploding in the middle of them. Two of the goblins manage to jump away while the other four are not so lucky. Three of them are incinerated immediately while the fourth catches fire and rolls around in an attempt to put it out.

Including the one on fire, there are six left with three in direct melee combat with you. These three find their feet and get ready to attack again...

meemaas
2014-05-18, 06:31 AM
Ortega

Ortega lashes out his whip in a brilliant strike upon the nearest goblin, and then slides a step back to let another get in his place.

Basic attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-05-18, 06:48 PM
Ithelian

Ithelian thrusts his spear towards a goblin while keeping his distance.

Ithelian will try to keep the goblins at 10' or at least 5' after his attack.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

MichaelGoldclaw
2014-05-18, 07:29 PM
Another shot comes out, this time at the closest goblin that isn't in melee.

[roll0]misfire on one (8) +1 if within 30. Touch attack within 20 ft.
[roll1] +1 within 30

Oseyerys
2014-05-27, 10:33 PM
Anawen

You quickly reload your firearm and fire once more at the goblins surrounding your companions. You hit it and it stumbles to one side on the impact but does not fall.

Ortega

You use your wrap your whip around the goblin's neck and slice it open bringing it to the ground lifeless.

Ithelian

You use your spear to stab at the farthest goblin and manage to drive your weapon right through it's stomach. The goblin squeals in pain and you fling it to the ground where it moves no more.

Goblins

The remaining goblin in contact with you all approaches Ortega in an attempt to score a hit on him. Due to it's injury from Anawen it is rather clumsy in it's attack and Ortega manages to parry it with contempt.

The two goblins on the other side who avoided Grale's fire attack see their companion burning and their other companions dropping like flies in front of the newcomers and decide to turn tail and run.

All around you the town guards seem to be heartened by your battle prowess and the return of Grale and they seem to be fighting with renewed vigor. It looks like the tides have turned and the goblins are starting to be driven out of the Hovel.

meemaas
2014-06-03, 06:11 AM
Ortega

Ortega spins his weapon around once more, hoping to take down the final goblin with a quick strike.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Sorry for the late response. Been a nasty few days at work. Sunburnt all over.

Smileybastard
2014-06-03, 07:53 PM
Ithelian

Ithelian smiles.

"I wonder why the goblins were so aggressive."

Oseyerys
2014-06-06, 08:22 PM
Ortega

You bring your weapon around one last time to slice open the unprotected stomach of the last goblin. This goblin gets a confused look on its face as it keels over, dead.

To all

Grale, clearly spent from the exertion due to his age, says to Ithelian, "That I cannot say however I suspect that they did not coordinate this alone. Come, we have much work to do in repairing the town."

The rest of the afternoon you toil on putting out fires started by the goblins and moving the sick to the infirmary where they would be treated. The town was in disarray when you arrived but, by the time you are finished in the afternoon, the town looks somewhat recognizable.

Grale offers that you stay the night and takes you to the local tavern, the Silver Serpent, where he explains that, recently, many attacks have been made on Hovel and, while the source cannot be pinpointed, he suspects the attacks are stemming from the Wizardspire in the west. Hunters who strayed to close to the abandoned tower have not come back. The spire is a rather taboo topic amongst the villagers. He also says that your appearance in the battle today had bolstered the spirits of the townsfolk and the guard.