PDA

View Full Version : Critical Lightning warrior

Val666
2014-04-23, 10:52 PM
Hello guys, lately I tried to pull a samurai-like build (please dont cw samurai) using a Aptitude Thundering Shocking Burst Falchion and having some electric or wind spells or SLA (Wind Wall please). I got some ideas using Diciple of Dispater, 1 level dip Cleric (air domain) and some way to advance his spellcasting or wizard and using abjurant champion with Arcane Diciple. For the wisdom part, maybe one level in Shiba Protector. Also 1 level in Warblade at mid levels for Iron Heart Surge. Using the improved critical feat.

Can you guys help me building this¿? What other feats you think would be good?

Jeff the Green
2014-04-23, 11:52 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you want, but I'll just offer the following:

A Wizard 4/Warblade 1/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 5 (not in that order) makes an excellent magical samurai. You get 9th level spells, your 4th iterative, and good maneuvers. Alter the Desert Flame maneuvers to Storm's Fury, and make them do electricity damage instead of fire.

For a Wisdom-focused melee samurai, go with Psychic Warrior. For a Wisdom-focused archer samurai, go with Cleric, with a combination of Zen Archery, Shiba Protector, and Raptor Arrows.

Val666
2014-04-24, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the advice Jeff. I want to stick with a melee build using the Falchion described above. Im really into getting those wind or electric attacks and my DM will not allow Storm's Fury (maybe with some passive talking...that way I'll be really interested in maneuvers). He also banned Psionics and Incarnium. Also, I want a huge critical range, maybe not 9-20 but 12-20 or 15-20.

Immabozo
2014-04-24, 01:20 AM
that sounds extremely MAD. Take Swordsage. A Crusader dip at level 5 will give you access to level 3 crusader maneuvers and stances. You already have some wisdom synergy, so a level of Cleric might work for you., plus the domains can be awesome.

If you took a level of wizard, I would nab the abrupt jaunt ACF. But the again loss of the BAB, low HD and lack of synergy with int being a dump stat (a 10 might be the highest i'd recommend going, maybe 13 for feat prerequs), I would personally pass.

vhfforever
2014-04-24, 01:43 AM
Swordsage 4 / Crusader 1 would only receive its choice of 2nd level Crusader maneuvers. You would need Swordsage 8 / Crusader 1 to pick up 3rds.

Also, before clicking on this topic, I had thought the OP meant this Lightning Warrior (http://www.myth-weavers.com/wiki/index.php/Lightning_Warrior).

Xander_Phoenix
2014-04-24, 01:52 AM
You may find this build (http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3429956) interesting.

DMVerdandi
2014-04-24, 02:13 AM
Wizard 5/Abjurant champion 5/Incantatrix 10

You can get the martial proficiency for the abjurant champion from either a racial proficiency, feat, the martial wizard acf or a template. Your choice.

Obviously get feats necessary for persistent spell.
Use Heroism to obtain TOB maneuvers and fighter feats as needed.
Take domain wizard and spontaneous divination if possible. Grey elf as well.
Finally, Pick up smiting spell and Arcane disciple (For Divine power.)

Done.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-24, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the advice Jeff. I want to stick with a melee build using the Falchion described above. Im really into getting those wind or electric attacks and my DM will not allow Storm's Fury (maybe with some passive talking...that way I'll be really interested in maneuvers). He also banned Psionics and Incarnium. Also, I want a huge critical range, maybe not 9-20 but 12-20 or 15-20.

Crit fishing is hard in 3.5. You pretty much have to pull shenanigans with unupdated material. As Curmudgeon is fond of pointing out, 3.0 material goes in a 3.5 game only with modification from the DM, and since everything else was changed to not stack Disciple of Dispater should be too.

Let's ignore that for now. For criticals you'll want eight levels in Disciple of Dispater, Improved Critical, and 7 levels in OA's Weapon Master. That'll get you to 7-20/x2. I think. I'm doing the math in my head so it might be wrong.

However, that leaves you with almost no other levels and requires a metric ****ton of feats. Better to just go with four levels of DoD and improved Critical for a range of 11-20.

Aegis013
2014-04-24, 03:23 AM
Crit fishing is hard in 3.5. You pretty much have to pull shenanigans with unupdated material. As Curmudgeon is fond of pointing out, 3.0 material goes in a 3.5 game only with modification from the DM, and since everything else was changed to not stack Disciple of Dispater should be too.

Let's ignore that for now. For criticals you'll want eight levels in Disciple of Dispater, Improved Critical, and 7 levels in OA's Weapon Master. That'll get you to 7-20/x2. I think. I'm doing the math in my head so it might be wrong.

However, that leaves you with almost no other levels and requires a metric ****ton of feats. Better to just go with four levels of DoD and improved Critical for a range of 11-20.

This doesn't seem possible outside gestalt. Due to OA's Weapon Master requiring Whirlwind Attack feat, it secretly requires 6 BAB, rather than 5. Leaving you with only 14 levels to squeeze in 15 levels of classes.

Shinken
2014-04-24, 03:29 AM
But it doesn't even get a familiar!

Val666
2014-04-24, 08:56 AM
Sorry If after reading the thread tittle you thought it was about Lightning Warrior (lol heared about him but never saw it before). Those swordsage ideas are good but if I have to choose I'll go Warblade (no bab loss is allowed from a martial class but exceptions could be made if I had Divine Power). I dont want to use Enchantrix, it would turn the build into more spellcasting focused than martial. As Jeff ( <3 ) said, I will get at least 4 levels in Disciple of Dispater for the extra crit range (11-20 is pretty much what I wanted). Mmmmm...what if I ask my DM for the Abjurant Champion divine acf? That way I could get Cleric, Abjurant Champion, 4 levels of DoD and some Swordsage, for Wis synergy (I'll stay on light armor btw) . Maybe that level of shiba protector. With a 32 point buy focusing on Str,Wis,Con. Should that work?

Thanks Xander_Phoenix for that build. It was pretty awesome but dragonmarks are not allowed :(

Nightraiderx
2014-04-24, 10:19 AM
Pretty sure arcane casting and wisdom rarely get along.

What you probably are better at looking at his a cleric melee crit gish.
Cleric 4/Swordsage 2/RKV 10/Disciple of Disapater 4

It's more divine gish but you only loose three bab, which is good for that.
Your casting will be low, but it should still get you 11 CL and 6th lvl spells (offset CL with practiced caster)
You still get the crit from Disapater, and some manuevers from RKV to abuse.
For lightning, look into smiting spell and quicken for that.

My other suggestion is to seriously look into Duskblade, arcane disciple will help get those other wind spells.
You won't need much int (15 at highest) to get alot of shocking grasps. loosing 4 lvls to disciple won't hurt that much for duskblade, and you keep your BAB up.
Dipping Warblade as you see fit to get some decent manuevers, but you want at least 13 lvls in duskblade. You don't have many prestiege classes so you can dip in shiba if you want that extra kick, but with 32 point buy I don't think it would benefit you that much.

Chronos
2014-04-24, 10:43 AM
Given that you mention that your weapon is Aptitude, I assume you're already planning on using the Lightning Mace feat, though you didn't actually mention it.

The Roundhouse Kick feat has a similar benefit to Lightning Mace, though different requirements. With both feats together, and a crit range of 10-20 or better, you can actually get an infinite number of attacks per round. You'd have a really hard time getting all the feats needed for that, though.

And if you're going to be crit-fishing, and you're planning on having Warblade in the build anyway, you'll want to be in the Blood in the Water stance all the time. Nothing else even comes close.

Kuulvheysoon
2014-04-24, 10:55 AM
If you're willing to play a half-elf, there's the Storm Sentry PrC in Dragonmarked or the Dragonmark Heir from the Eberron Campaign Setting. Basically offers you pretty good control over the local winds. Dragonmark Heir was used to excellent effect in Iron Chef XLIII: Bladesinger (Lakota Windsong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?274122-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-In-the-Playground-XLIII&p=14909196&viewfull=1#post14909196)). It could mesh pretty well with Warblade too, as an added bonus.

Val666
2014-04-24, 10:59 AM
I dont want to go in RKV, have another build for that. As for the Aptitude enchancement, I forgot to remove it Dx since Lightning Mace requieres TWF and Im using a Falchion, no more waste for feats. But guys, what do you think about the Abjurant Champion Divine version? My DM already allowed it e.e I could go with Cleric,Swordsage,"Divine" Champion,Disciple of Dispater and Shiba Protector.

About the Storm Sentry, The build Xander posted was using that class, but DM banned Dragonmarks so...gg

Val666
2014-04-25, 12:45 AM
What's the matter with familiar o.o

Jeff the Green
2014-04-25, 05:10 AM
I dont want to go in RKV, have another build for that. As for the Aptitude enchancement, I forgot to remove it Dx since Lightning Mace requieres TWF and Im using a Falchion, no more waste for feats. But guys, what do you think about the Abjurant Champion Divine version? My DM already allowed it e.e I could go with Cleric,Swordsage,"Divine" Champion,Disciple of Dispater and Shiba Protector.

About the Storm Sentry, The build Xander posted was using that class, but DM banned Dragonmarks so...gg

You can TWF with a THW. Actually, unless you've got sneak attack or similar, it's one of the better ways to TWF. You use either an unarmed strike, armor spikes, or an animated shield as your offhand weapon.

Divine Abjurant Champion is good, though it doesn't mesh with DoD too well because the best spell for Abjurant Champion is (greater) luminous armor, which is sanctified and only works on Good creatures. And of course unlike arcane casters you can wear regular armor and so don't have quite as much to gain from it. If your DM is okay with you keeping your DoD class features after conversion to Raziel or something, becoming Good as soon as you can is best.

Unless you're planning on going RKV, forget the swordsage levels; you're better off buying a monk belt. (The one exception is if you really want Blood in the Water or Shadow Blade.)

Cleric 7/Abjurant Champion 5/Disciple of Dispater 4/Shiba Protector 1/Something 3 works fine. More cleric casting is always going to be better than anything else, of course, but if you want to critfish you need those DoD levels.

Shinken
2014-04-25, 06:37 AM
What's the matter with familiar o.o

It's a joke about a homebrewed class called Lightning Warrior. It's a wizard that gives up a familiar for full BAB, TWF bonus feats and d20 Hit Die.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-25, 07:21 AM
It's a joke about a homebrewed class called Lightning Warrior. It's a wizard that gives up a familiar for full BAB, TWF bonus feats and d20 Hit Die.

Don't forget that it can't specialize. That really knocks it down, like on par with a monk.

Val666
2014-04-25, 07:23 AM
Holy lightning warrior.

Omg Jeff I ****ing love ya! For that 3 final levels it should be a full bab class, so Abj. cha. Capstone works out to CL 17. About TWF, you opened my eyes e.e Im going to ask for electric armor spikes e.e Now the deal is find that 3 levels full bab class. I was thinking in 1 level of Fighter and maybe 2 Warblade. Any suggestions?

Also an important question. If I use Divine Power, the Abj. Cha. Capstone will rise my CL to 20 for the duration?

Shinken
2014-04-25, 10:44 AM
If you're willing to play a half-elf, there's the Storm Sentry PrC in Dragonmarked or the Dragonmark Heir from the Eberron Campaign Setting. Basically offers you pretty good control over the local winds. Dragonmark Heir was used to excellent effect in Iron Chef XLIII: Bladesinger (Lakota Windsong (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?274122-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-In-the-Playground-XLIII&p=14909196&viewfull=1#post14909196)). It could mesh pretty well with Warblade too, as an added bonus.

This build is just... beautiful!

pilvento
2014-04-25, 03:01 PM
Dat.... Yasuo build... Its okay in my group we base characters in League of Legends concepts all the time. You can find a way to get blood wind (spell) so you can do wind slashes from afar. :smallcool:

I dont see why not glong battle sorcerer making a cool gish build. Your spell selection is limited but you just pick what you want like gust of wind, blood wind, haste, dimension door for teleport, wind wall, reflect spells / arrows. you name it, its on the WIS/SOC list somewhere.

Extra points if you go for swiftblade prc...

Val666
2014-04-25, 03:26 PM
Yeah hahahahha based on Yasuo Dx but I want divine (cleric) spellcasting...ummm what about Ur Priest cheese e.e? Also I dont want to go in Swiftblade, other player got it