PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other 3.5 Black Powder weapons

Captain Kablam
2014-04-23, 11:21 PM
Yo, I normally don't homebrew, I'm typically more a "by-the-book" kinda guy. However, I didn't find any weapons that worked how I liked as far as guns are concerned, so I made my own old timey pirate gear and what not. Most if not all of these are considered exotic since within my world, guns are a new ideal. I'm just submitting these to public inquiry to see if they're deemed fair by the vox populi. As well as throw in their own gear. Upfront, sling bullets are ammo in most cases. So without further ado.

Black Powder Weapons
Pistol
 Exotic
 Light
 Cost: 60g
 Dmg: 1d10 (S), 2d6 (M)
 Crit: 19-20/x3
 Range: 30ft
 Weight: 4lbs
 Type: Piercing
 Reload: Full-round action
Rifle
 Exotic
 Two-Handed
 Cost: 80g
 Dmg: 2d6 (S), 2d8 (M)
 Crit: x4
 Range: 60ft
 Weight: 8lbs
Gnome Tri-Barrel
 Exotic
 Two-Handed
 Cost: 320g
 Dmg: 2d6 (S), 2d8 (M)
 Crit: x3
 Range: 40ft
 Weight: 12lbs
 Reload: Three chamber: 2 Full-round actions, Single Chamber: Full-round action, Free action chamber switch-over.
Blunderbuss
 Exotic
 Two-Handed
 Cost: 120g
 Dmg: 2d8 (S), 3d6(M), Ref ½: (Ref score = 10 + shooter BAB + shooter Dex)
 Crit: NA
 Range: 30ft (slim cone)
 Weight: 10lbs
Dwarven Blast-Hammer
 Exotic
 Two-Handed
 Cost: 280g
 Dmg: 1d8, Blast: 2d8 (S) 1d10, Blast: 3d6 (M)
 Crit: x4
 Range: --
 Weight: 16lbs
 Type: Bldg
 Special: 14str minimum to wield, 1d4 nonlethal dmg to the user for every point under 14 to use in a blast. Blast can move the wielder forward 10ft in an attack with a blast, and initiate a bullrush (with a +4 on the attempt) on a successful blast hit. A blast can also give the user a +10 on a jump attempt. The blast hammer is heavy and unwieldy, constituting a -1 to armor to any to wield it with a str score lower than 16.
Siege Cannon
 Exotic
 Siege
 Cost: 3000g
 Dmg: 6d6+10, Ref ½: (Ref score = 10 + shooter BAB + shooter Dex)
 Crit: NA
 Range: 300ft
 Weight: 400lbs
 Type: Bldg
 Aim: Full round action
 Reload: 2 Full-Round Actions
Bomb
 Light, thrown
 Cost: 60g
 Dmg: 3d6 (1d6 Fire, 1d6 Bldg., 1d6 Piercing) , 5ft radius, Ref ½: (Ref score = 10 + thrower BAB + thrower Dex)
 Range: 10ft
 Weight: 1lb
 Type: Special
 Special: Move action to light with open flame, must designate round length of fuse lighted (1-5 rounds)
Powder Keg
 Cost: 120g
 Dmg: 5d6 (3d6 Fire, 2d6 Bldg.), 10ft radius
 Range:-
 Weight: 5lb
 Type: Special
 Special: Move action to light with open flame, must designate round length of fuse lighted (1-10 rounds, longer fuse can be added, roll percentile for chance of error or failure, +5% per every round length beyond 10), contains 30 pistol & rifle uses, and 5 siege cannon uses of black powder.
Pistol & Rifle Kit
 Cost: 100g
 Weight: 3lbs
 Essential for Pistol, Rifle, Gnome Tri-Barrel and Blunderbuss reloading and upkeep.
Canon Balls (5)
 Cost: 100g
 Weight: 50lbs
Explosive Shells (5)
 Cost: 300g
 Weight: 30lbs
 Special: -2d6 dmg. Adds 10ft radius to the point of impact.

VoxRationis
2014-04-24, 12:30 AM
I don't know about the vox populi, but here's one vox's opinion...

Yo, I normally don't homebrew, I'm typically more a "by-the-book" kinda guy. However, I didn't find any weapons that worked how I liked as far as guns are concerned, so I made my own old timey pirate gear and what not. Most if not all of these are considered exotic since within my world, guns are a new ideal. I'm just submitting these to public inquiry to see if they're deemed fair by the vox populi. As well as throw in their own gear. Upfront, sling bullets are ammo in most cases. So without further ado.

Canon Balls (5)

I assume the above are inscribed with holy texts?:smallwink:
These are...
Significantly less expensive than the DMG gunpowder weapons.
Very far from historically accurate (full-round action to reload), though I'm assuming that wasn't a major concern in your design process.
If we're using black powder, I'm wondering why there's no musket. It jumps straight to rifle, which ignores most of firearms development, chronologically speaking. I would add a musket with a reduced accuracy but superior reload time to the rifle.
Are these weapons supposed to be matchlock? Wheellock? Miquelet? Flintlock?
I would be sure to add descriptive text explaining the difficulties associated with the use of these weapons (keeping the powder dry, having to adjust the trigger mechanisms prior to use, etc.)
The blast-hammer is interesting in requiring a minimum Strength, and one of even value (most ability score minimums are odd, to my recollection). Its charge ability is dubious at best; most weapons don't have nearly the kind of force requisite to launch their wielder forward that far.
The siege cannon is devastating-looking; capable of being aimed on foot and with a Reflex save tied to BAB? That the Reflex is 1/2 is odd, since logically the cannonball could just plain miss the target without them having to be a rogue. Also, a cannon which shoots 10-pound cannonballs is going to be somewhere on the level of a literal ton of metal, plus the frame. You're not going to be able to just pick it up.