PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Monk, Take II

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-09, 11:04 AM
Would this be horribly unbalanced if I gave it a d8 Hit Die?

Psychic Monk
Alignment: Any lawful.
Hit Die: d6.
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Power Points|Powers Known|Maximum Power Level
1st|+0|+2|+2|+2|Bonus feat, flurry of blows, unarmed strike, unarmed damage 1d6|0|2|1st
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+3|Bonus feat, evasion|2|3|1st
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+3|~|4|4|1st
4th|+3|+4|+4|+4|~|6|5|2nd
5th|+3|+4|+4|+4|Unarmed damage 1d8|8|6|2nd
6th|+4|+5|+5|+5|Bonus feat, unarmored speed +10 ft.|11|7|3rd
7th|+5|+5|+5|+5|~|15|8|3rd
8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+6|~|19|9|4th
9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+6|Improved evasion, unarmored speed +20 ft.|24|10|4th
10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+7|Unarmored AC bonus +1, unarmed damage 1d10|29|11|5th
11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+7|Greater flurry|35|12|5th
12th|+8/+3|+8|+8|+8|~|42|13|6th
13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+8|Unarmored speed bonus +30 ft.|49|14|6th
14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+9|~|57|15|7th
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+9|Unarmed damage 2d6, unarmored AC bonus +2, unarmored speed bonus +40 ft.|65|16|7th
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|~|74|17|8th
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+10|Timeless body|83|18|8th
18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+11|Unarmored speed bonus +50 ft.|93|19|9th
19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+11|~|104|20|9th
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+12|Perfect self, unarmed damage 2d8, unarmored AC bonus +3|121|21|9th[/table]Class Skills
The psychic monk's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill points at 1st Level: (4 + Intelligence modifier) x 4.
Skill points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Intelligence modifier.

Class Features
Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a psychic monk may select Improved Grapple, Stunning Fist, Psionic Fist, or a feat that is part of a style as a bonus feat. At 2nd level, a psychic monk may select either Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, or a feat that is part of a style as a bonus feat. At 6th level, a psychic monk may select Improved Disarm, Improved Trip, Psionic Meditation, or a feat that is part of a style as a bonus feat. The psychic monk need not meet any of the prerequisites of these feats in order to select and use them.
Flurry of Blows (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.
Unarmed Strike (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name, except in relation to the damage dealt.
Unarmed Damage (Su): A psychic monk may imbue her unarmed strikes with a trickle of psionic power, allowing her to strike harder than most people. This ability functions even in antimagic and null psionics zones. When wielding weapon with the ki focus special ability, a psychic monk may choose to deal her unarmed damage with that weapon. Starting at 1st level, a psychic monk deals 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage with her unarmed strikes. At 5th level, this improves to 1d8. At 10th level, she deals 1d10 points of damage, 2d6 at 15th, and 2d8 at 20th.
Evasion (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.
Unarmored Speed Bonus (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.
Improved Evasion: As the monk ability of the same name.
Greater Flurry (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.
Timeless Body (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.
Perfect Self (Su): As the monk ability of the same name.
Unarmored AC Bonus (Ex): As the monk ability of the same name.
Powers: A psychic monk begins play knowing two 1st-level powers from the psychic monk power list. Wisdom determines how many bonus power points psychic monks receive and how hard their powers are to resist.

1st Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Burst, catfall, daze, psionic; demoralize, detect psionics, disable, distract, empathy, empty mind, energy ray, metaphysical weapon, mindlink, mind thrust, precognition, defensive; precognition, offensive; prescience, offensive; skate, telempathic projection, vigor.
2nd Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Animal affinity, biofeedback, cloud mind, detect hostile intent, dimension swap, ego whip, elfsight, id insinuation, levitate, psionic; psionic lion's charge, read thoughts, sensitivity to psychic impressions, sustenance, thought shield, tonuges, psionic.
3rd Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Body adjustment, danger sense, dimension slide, energy retort, graft weapon**, hustle, psionic blast, remove disease, psionic; telekinetic force, telekinetic thrust, touchsight, vampiric blade.
4th Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Aura sight, dimension door, psionic; energy adaptation, fly, psionic; freedom of movement, psionic; immovability, neutralize poison, psionic; remote viewing, telekinetic maneuver, weapon of energy.
5th Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Adapt body, correspond, fist of the soul*, metaconcert, power resistance, psionic true seeing.
6th Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Aura alteration, mass cloud mind, mind probe, psychic crush.
7th Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Energy conversion, psionic ethereal jaunt, fist of adamantine*, mind blank, personal.
8th Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Shadow body, telekinetic sphere, true metabolism.
9th Level Psychic Monk Powers:
Affinity field, metafaculty.

*A new power described here.
**When a psychic monk manifests graft weapon, the grafted weapon counts as an unarmed strike for the purpose of all class abilities and feats.

Fist of Adamantine
Psychometabolism
Level: Psychic monk 7
Display: Visual, material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Power Points: 13

Your unarmed attacks are transformed into living adamantine, allowing you to bypass hardness and overcome damage reduction just as if you were wielding a manufactured adamantine weapon. Your unarmed attacks are treated as if they were adamantine for all purposes.

Augment:
You can augment this power in either of the following ways:
1. For an additional power point, your unarmed attacks can be tranformed into alchemical silver or cold iron instead of adamantine.
2. For an additional 6 power points, your unarmed attacks can change from adamantine, alchemical silver, and cold iron as an immediate action.

Fist of the Soul
Psychokinesis (Law, see text)
Level: Psychic monk 5
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level (D)
Power Points: 9

A layer of ectoplasm forms around your hands, charged with planar energies. Your unarmed attacks are treated as being lawful aligned weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Augment:
You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways:
1. If you are good and spend an additional power point, your unarmed attacks are treated not only as lawful aligned weapons, but also as good aligned weapons, for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. This power gains the Good descriptor.
2. If you are evil and spend an additional power point, your unarmed attacks are treated not only as lawful aligned weapons, but also as evil aligned weapons, for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. This power gains the Evil descriptor.
3. If you spend an additional 3 power points, your unarmed attacks gain the axiomatic trait, as for a magical or psionic weapon.
4. If you are lawful good spend an additional 6 power points, your unarmed attacks gain not only the axiomatic trait but also the holy trait. This power gains the Good descriptor.
5. If you are lawful evil and spend an additional 6 power points, your unarmed attacks gain not only the axiomatic trait but also the unholy trait. This power gains the Evil descriptor.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 11:08 AM
No. It'd be fine.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-09, 11:14 AM
Ok. Now, to fix the base monk...

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 11:36 AM
Ok. Now, to fix the base monk...

HAH. There's a task in and of itself.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-09, 11:41 AM
Indeed it is. I should probably make a new thread, but while we're on the topic, here're my ideas: Full BAB, d10 HD, quivering palm 1/day instead of 1/week.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 11:46 AM
You'd have to retool the flurry table for that. I'd recommend instead keeping the 3/4 BAB and trading out some class features for a maneuver progression.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-09, 11:56 AM
Mmm. I'll have to get more familiar with the maneuver system.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 12:21 PM
It's rather simple, really.

The other option would be a point-investiture system a la Incarnum.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-09, 03:55 PM
This should only go up to level 6 powers like Psychic warrior.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-09, 03:57 PM
Why do you say that?

Druid
2007-02-09, 04:45 PM
Monks (the regular ones, this one is pretty cool) should just be replaced with swordsage. It's a lot easier than trying to make the existing monk viable.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-09, 05:00 PM
Why do you say that?

Why should it be better than Psychic Warrior? It has tons of other stuff apart from psionics so why should it get the same power level as psions who focus entirely on psionics? Your Ki strike replacement powers don't seem like 7th level power equivelants so they'd work fine at lower level.

Maybe some of its abilities, like the speed bonus, should only work when psionically focused.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-09, 05:11 PM
They don't get the same power level as psions. They have roughly 2/3 as many powers known, they learn higher level powers later, and they have roughly 1/3 as many pp. And that disregards the fact that they have a very limited list from which to select their powers.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-09, 06:50 PM
You'd have to retool the flurry table for that. I'd recommend instead keeping the 3/4 BAB and trading out some class features for a maneuver progression.
If I may direct you to the Vagrant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32728). I always did like technique-based systems that allow variability within classes (which is why I love your paladin redux, Fax) so I figured this might end up well. If you're going to make techs, I could use some help on the vagrant's sparce supply.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-10, 12:52 AM
Monks (the regular ones, this one is pretty cool) should just be replaced with swordsage. It's a lot easier than trying to make the existing monk viable.

QFT!

Seriously, here's what I'd do to make a viable 'Monk'...

Limit the disciplines to the four with favored weapon: Unarmed.

Toss in Flurry and full monk unarmed attack.

Switch weapon proficencies to Monk rather than Melee.

power down a couple of the Swordsage abilities to compensate (don't have Bo9S on me right now, or I'd be able to give ideas on just what to do).

Done, you have a monk who is actually useful in combat.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-02-10, 12:55 AM
Yes, but then all the styles I've been making up will become useless...

fleet
2007-02-11, 12:51 PM
An even quicker way to balance the monk would be to let him use monk weapons and add unarmed strike bonuses to them. That would instantly give him all the things a fighter has that a monk lacks. I.E decent weapons after level 5.