PDA

View Full Version : If an Elocators foot falls... does it make a sound?

kanachi
2007-02-09, 11:24 AM
I'm going to be playing as a scout/psion/elocator in the near future so I’ve been applying my skill points, move silently gave me pause for thought however... my characters feet never touch the ground, is it logical to conclude that he would receive a bonus to this skill? if so how much?

GolemsVoice
2007-02-09, 11:31 AM
I think he wouldn't need a skill check, or he wuold be granted a high bonus. Most of the sound while sneaking is made by your feet, and the reason you fail is often your footsteps or that you step on something. I think +8 at least.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 11:34 AM
Strangely, there's no mechanics for moving silently while airborne. I discovered this when trying to sneak up on someone with a flying Battle Sorceror.

Steve_the_ERB
2007-02-09, 11:36 AM
Logical maybe...but what does logic have to do with D&D?

I am going to have to say no for a couple reasons. First, moving siliently is more than foot hitting the ground, its also a matter of the clanking of armor, controlling you breathing as you sneak up behind someone etc. Second (and this is a weak argument I know) but I don't recall there being a converse (or is it inverse) rule where heavier things (i.e. orges, giants, dragons) get a penalty to move silent. A penalty to hide yes, move silent no. So beware of that dragon with levels of rogue going for the sneak attack!

illithid13
2007-02-09, 11:43 AM
I'd probably give a +10 bonus to it, there is still the chance that your gear will shift and make a noise, but that would be what the ranks of Move Silently would be good for.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-09, 12:12 PM
Move Silently is also a question of hiding your "presence" so to speak.

I believe Terry Pratchett captures that best by calling it the sound of someone trying to move quietly.

Drascin
2007-02-09, 12:19 PM
Yeah, it's not all about the feet, but indeed it would be useful to not touch the ground when trying to move silently. I believe a +4 or +5 circumstance bonus to Move Silently would be quite logical.

Emperor Tippy
2007-02-10, 01:08 AM
Considering that the Elocator just floats along (he doesn't have to move any part of his body at all) I would give him a +20 to his move silently checks when floating. Modified if moving through dense terrain of course.

Quietus
2007-02-10, 01:23 AM
Ditto on the "big bonus" aspect. I'd also like to aware 10 points for the witty title.

Zincorium
2007-02-10, 03:33 AM
That it's completely silent is indeed a possibility, however, I've also imagined it as having that sci-fi humming sound associated with any sort of hovering mechanism. The description leaves it open to debate, but I would give a +4 to the check since you don't have to move nearly as much, and negate both the penalties for moving faster (rapid footfalls kinda don't apply anymore) and the penalties for noisy terrain that involves the feet only, things like underbrush are going to cause noise regardless of whether you're a foot in the air or not.