PDA

View Full Version : Gargamel and other classic cartoon villains in D&D?

Archangel93
2014-04-24, 06:59 AM
I'll be starting a new campaign pretty soon and my players wanted at least one recurring villain as comedy relief. I thought Gargamel would be perfect but I'm having trouble making him into a character in the D&D world. Any ideas?

Xefas
2014-04-24, 10:50 AM
(Somewhere between True Neutral and Neutral Evil?) Human Artificer 1?

Granted, its been a long, long time since I've seen the Smurfs. But, IIRC, his powers extended largely to owning magical things, like scrolls and potions. Otherwise, he was just an incompetent, doddering old man with chronic back-pain and poor dental hygiene.

Composer99
2014-04-24, 11:34 AM
The Smurfs wiki (http://smurfs.wikia.com/wiki/Gargamel_(character)) suggests Gargamel, while set up as a wizard, has more in common with an alchemist in terms of his methods and motives, although he does appear to use spellbooks and wands to use magic, which certainly translates into wizard in D&D.

If you're running PF, a multi-class wizard/alchemist (favouring the latter) would probably work.

If you're running D&D there's Xefas' suggestion or you could strip down the alchemist a little (or not) to adapt it to 3.5. Couldn't suggest anything if you're running 2e or earlier or 4e.

CinuzIta
2014-04-24, 06:50 PM
Is homebrewed material okay for you? Because I remember an Alchemist class made by Lix Lorn that could (or could not, depending on you) fit the theme! Anyway, the Artificer with UMD for Wanda and scrolls could work just as fine in my humble opinion!

Archangel93
2014-04-24, 08:42 PM
Home brew will definitely work. I'll also want other classic cartoon villains in the campaign but I need ideas. Thoughts?

CinuzIta
2014-04-25, 04:35 AM
Here is Lix Lorn's Alchemist:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?300425-The-Alchemist-3-5-Base-Class&p=15915984#post15915984

What about an evil wizard who wants to bring darkness to the world by covering the Sun and then ask a payment to those who wants to see its light? Someone like Monty Burns maybe? "Excellent!"

JeminiZero
2014-04-25, 06:09 AM
Home brew will definitely work. I'll also want other classic cartoon villains in the campaign but I need ideas. Thoughts?

Wile E. Coyote: Anthropomorphic Coyote (use the stats for Anthropomorphic Dog from Savage Species) who constantly tries to craft traps, but which always backfire on him.

(Incidentally, various Anthropomorphic creatures would be useful for assorted the Disney villains from Big Bad Pete, Beagle Boys, and the fearsome five of Darkwing Duck).

Bluto (from Popeye) would be a straight up brawler of some sort. Maybe a Fighter invested unarmed strike (Popeye might be a homebrew variant of Drunken Master, who needs Spinach instead of alcohol)

Elmer Fudd might or might not count as a villain.

Archangel93
2014-04-25, 01:57 PM
I'm truly loving these ideas! Now how about these ones:

Dr. Doofenshmirtz from phineas & Ferb

Plankton from Spongebob

Man on Fire
2014-04-25, 02:21 PM
I'm truly loving these ideas! Now how about these ones:

Dr. Doofenshmirtz from phineas & Ferb

Artificer, slighty higher level than Dr. Drakken or Jack Spicer would be.

Also, how about classic Cobra Commander as Marshal?

Archangel93
2014-04-25, 07:07 PM
I didn't even think of cobra commander. That's a good one. :)