PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How to ramp up this module?

Balor01
2014-04-24, 07:32 AM
Eye of the sun (http://www.freegamemanuals.com/pdfrpg/TSRDungeons&Dragons3.5EyeoftheSun.pdf) is predicted as last BBEG module to play in my campaign. As said in module description, it is appropriate for four lvl 4 adventurers.

Now, my players are not really munchkins (or are bad at it) and play a Monk, Cleric, Scout and blaster Sorcerer. Still, this module predicts for them to reach the temple site with perhaps a dozen lizardfolk (11! hp creatures) that are led by a lvl 2(!) cleric. I do not need a scrying ball to see how will this go.

So. I ask you, playground, how to buff this to make it TOUGH. I was thinking of two level 5 clerics in two separate bands with Blackscale lizardfolk, Poison Dusk luitenants, Dark talon Champions, Shamans, Soldiers ... The idea for the temple forces to be in three groups (two cleric groups and one with Beasties) that react consequently. If PCs go about it charging in ... consequence is rather fast. If stealthily, they have chances of dealing with each group separately.

Perhaps groups would be like this:

Group 1
Clr 5
Blackscale lizardfolk (3x)
Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk Lieutenant (1)

Group 2
Clr 5
Blackscale lizardfolk (3x)
Dark talon soldier (10)

Group 3
Dark Talon soldier (3) (pen handlers)
Snake, Constrictor, Giant
Snake, Huge Viper (3)

What do you guys think?

Brookshw
2014-04-24, 08:05 AM
Couldn't really say without knowing how the party tends to work or how you'd play the challenges. Certain tactics and the right spell selection could make those some very daunting opponents.

Bloodgruve
2014-04-24, 08:58 AM
I usually cheat as a DM when it comes to the BBEG's HP and Saves. Advance some of the monsters a couple levels. During the end encounter if the BBEG is too squishy and hasn't accomplished challenging the players I will keep him alive. When a few players are low HP, resources are drained and you can see terror in there eyes the BBEG can go down and the party can loot. In the end we're playing a game for fun and challenge, what's written on the page, to me, are suggestions when important fights and events happen.

Don't use this tactic too often though as your players will figure out what's up ;)

-or-

Advance each monster a level or two...

Blood~