PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Consecrate / Desecrate

Harkle
2014-04-24, 09:15 AM
Hey all, got a question or two about the consecrate / desecrate spell.

These seem like they would be a fairly common spell to cast especially in a campaign that sees a lot of undead.

5 Lbs of powdered silver? 25 gp. - so I have to carry around 25 lbs of powdered silver if just so I can cast this spell 5 times?

The spell description says - Close 25ft + 5 ft per 2 caster levels. as a 10th level cleric I can cast this 50 ft away. But it also says I must spread the 5 lbs of silver around the area. I can't do that 50 ft away.

It also says casting time 1 standard action - but the act of getting the 5 lb bag of silver out, then spreading it around the 20 ft circle seems like it would take more than just one standard action.

What do you think?
Thank you,
Harkle.

Red Fel
2014-04-24, 09:19 AM
What do you think?

I think you're trying to apply reason and logic to the wording of a magical spell designed to hinder or bolster the living dead.

Take a moment to digest that.

Harkle
2014-04-24, 10:02 AM
I don't disagree.. though my DM is sometimes a rules DM. And he busts me on things like this all the time.

Oh, so you have 5 - 5 lbs bags of powdered silver in your bag of holding. Well it takes a standard action to get something out of your bag of holding.

Ok, so 1 round I get the bag out. next round I'll cast.

then the distance question comes up.

I'm basically putting his arguments on the board here to try and see how other players / DMs deal with it.

Thanks,

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-24, 10:19 AM
The silver is a spell component, so it comes from your spell component pouch (which doesn't cost an action).
Since the spell doesn't specify additional time for the sprinkling it either happens magically as part of the spell or you just throw it over the general area as part of the casting.
Either way it takes no additional time or actions over the casting time of the spell.

nyjastul69
2014-04-24, 11:10 AM
The silver is a spell component, so it comes from your spell component pouch (which doesn't cost an action).
Since the spell doesn't specify additional time for the sprinkling it either happens magically as part of the spell or you just throw it over the general area as part of the casting.
Either way it takes no additional time or actions over the casting time of the spell.

A spell component pouch only contains components that don't have a specific cost. So a SCP wouldn't have the necessary silver.

PaucaTerrorem
2014-04-24, 11:24 AM
When you cast the spell you throw the silver into the air and it spreads itself? It's freakin' magic!

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-24, 11:31 AM
A spell component pouch only contains components that don't have a specific cost. So a SCP wouldn't have the necessary silver.

So you assign an extra action cost to any spell with a non-trivial component or focus? The SCP may not come with the silver, but that doesn't mean you can't stuff any extra spell components you acquire in there.
What's important here is the fact that drawing a spell component is only gameplay-relevant if you're somehow hindered from doing so. It's part of the casting and doesn't cost extra actions.

jedipotter
2014-04-24, 11:45 AM
5 Lbs of powdered silver? 25 gp. - so I have to carry around 25 lbs of powdered silver if just so I can cast this spell 5 times?

Yes. You should note that the bulky material component means this is not a traveling spell. This is more of a spell one casts at home, not on the road. And after 6th level or so, you could have a bag of holding full of powered silver if you wanted too.

The spell description says - Close 25ft + 5 ft per 2 caster levels. as a 10th level cleric I can cast this 50 ft away. But it also says I must spread the 5 lbs of silver around the area. I can't do that 50 ft away.

It also says casting time 1 standard action - but the act of getting the 5 lb bag of silver out, then spreading it around the 20 ft circle seems like it would take more than just one standard action.

Note there are no rules as to how this must be done, other then it must be done. You could spread the silver before you cast the spell.

Cavir
2014-04-24, 11:52 AM
Maybe during the spell casting the magic takes the powder and spreads it for you at range- a minor telekinesis effect.

Fouredged Sword
2014-04-24, 12:01 PM
Both the silver and holy water are listed with a cost, meaning they must be carried and purchased ahead of time to use this spell. The spell itself spreads the silver around the area, and drawing the components is part of the spell action. I imagine the silver fountains out from your hands and floats down, covering the specified area with a light dusting (that then poisons everyone because silver dust is toxic in large quantities when inhaled)

nyjastul69
2014-04-24, 12:08 PM
So you assign an extra action cost to any spell with a non-trivial component or focus? The SCP may not come with the silver, but that doesn't mean you can't stuff any extra spell components you acquire in there.
What's important here is the fact that drawing a spell component is only gameplay-relevant if you're somehow hindered from doing so. It's part of the casting and doesn't cost extra actions.

No, I agree with everything else you posted. I didn't make that clear. No components should add to the casting time of a spell.