PDA

View Full Version : Bonuses versus OA/Preventing OA or adding [Cold) to Staggering Note

Snowbluff
2014-04-24, 09:24 AM
So, I wanted to combo Staggering Note (using a whetstoned sword as an implement) plus an arcane MBA for White Lotus and Lasting Frost bonuses, but Staggering Note has a ranged attack. I can't Admixture the spell for several levels, since I am level 11 and Lasting Frost, White Lotus Master Riposte, and (potentially, assumed absurdly good stats) Polearm Gamble will take up my next few feat slots. However, Admixture will let me use an expertise feat to avoid the AoO. If there's another way to change/add types to an implement attack, it would be great.

I know about the Shimmering leather armor, but I would need a dex mod of 6+ to make up for the loss of AC. This is what I'll do as a back up if a solution doesn't arrive.

Inevitability
2014-04-24, 10:05 AM
Maybe be a CHA/INT bard and just use Intelligence for AC?

Mando Knight
2014-04-24, 10:06 AM
Heavy Blade Expertise only works on weapon attacks, but gives +2 AC against OAs. Defensive Mobility also gives +2 AC vs OAs, and isn't an Expertise feat.

Staff Expertise makes you not provoke OAs at all.

Snowbluff
2014-04-24, 10:09 AM
Maybe be a CHA/INT bard and just use Intelligence for AC?
That could work, but the heavy stat requirement

Heavy Blade Expertise only works on weapon attacks, but gives +2 AC against OAs. Defensive Mobility also gives +2 AC vs OAs, and isn't an Expertise feat.

Staff Expertise makes you not provoke OAs at all.

The build I have in mind would use the holy symbol expertise, since it also avoids AoO, and doesn't take a hand to use. However, I want a way to add [Cold] to stggering note without spending a feat.

Quick question/addendum: Is it possible to get around the class requirements on items, like the Gloves of Eldritch Admixture? Those would fix my problem.