PDA

View Full Version : You are a 20th level caster...

Rakaydos
2014-04-24, 01:13 PM
and your Foresight spell is suddenly warning you of danger. A Quick Contact other Plane gives a criptic answer.

"The kobold has summoned Pazuzu" is cryptic, right? :p

What do?

Vaz
2014-04-24, 01:18 PM
Further divine which is the exact kobold, and his process leading up to that train of thought.

Grab my spell component pouch. Teleport Through Time (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) using Uncanny Forethought. Kill the little blighter.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-24, 01:27 PM
and your Foresight spell is suddenly warning you of danger. A Quick Contact other Plane gives a criptic answer.

"The kobold has summoned Pazuzu" is cryptic, right? :p

What do?

Forget just casters, I'm a 20th level character! If I have the means to get there in time, the bastard's mine.

Pazuzu, I mean.

Flickerdart
2014-04-24, 02:03 PM
There's quite a lot of time between summoning Pazuzu and the actual ascension. Wish brings the lizard to me - as a 1st level paladin, he will fail that save, and Pazuzu has no obligation to follow. Then I chop off his head.

Kraken
2014-04-24, 02:07 PM
Eh, I'd teleport to the kobold and cut their head off, rather than waste a wish getting him to me. Plus, no save. Just wait until Pazazu leaves, though even if you don't, Pazazu probably wouldn't care about you eviscerating the kobold.

Rubik
2014-04-24, 02:09 PM
I'd Dominate the thing and force it to make its Wish on my behalf. Waste not, want not. :smallwink:

cut their head off

eviscerating the kobold.I...don't think that word means what you think it means.

Loxagn
2014-04-24, 02:20 PM
Time runs short. I must act quickly. Thankfully, I can manufacture more.

Time Stop.

Immediately retrieve my scroll of Discern Location. Cast it.

Gate to location.

See that a bunch of other casters have had this exact same reaction.

Realize that a deity has already stepped in and rectified the problem.

Everyone goes back home feeling slightly wrong-footed.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-24, 02:36 PM
I'd Dominate the thing and force it to make its Wish on my behalf. Waste not, want not. :smallwink:

I...don't think that word means what you think it means.
Nothing says you can't do both. :D

CIDE
2014-04-24, 04:08 PM
I'd have to agree with everyone else to a certain point. I would want the Kobold to continue on for just a little longer. Let him feel a little bit of the power. Let him gain just a handful of more hit die, maybe an Ex or two, etc. Let him (or her?) just get a taste of what they're trying to achieve. Then I strike. But I don't just kill'em. It's public. That anyone attempts to do the same thing ever again will receive the same treatment and that they should know that they are being watched whether from deities or higher leveled mortals.

icefractal
2014-04-24, 04:59 PM
Letting them get started is dangerous. If they use their Wishes correctly, everything after the first round can be accomplished inside a Time Stop. They might have to break out of it once they start Sarrukh modification, but by that point they're on a demiplane with a vastly increased time rate. And also have all the defenses Wish alone can give, which is quite a lot, pretty much Pun-Pun Jr. already.

Kraken
2014-04-24, 05:22 PM
Nothing says you can't do both. :D

Pretty much, I didn't put much thought into any references I made to violent kobold death, they weren't meant to be linked. Though this give rise to the pondering question of what the most efficient way to dispatch the kobold is. :smallbiggrin: I agree that it'd need to be done quickly though. In fact, it might be safest to target the candle of invocation first. Or kill the called creature from the candle.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-24, 05:43 PM
Pretty much, I didn't put much thought into any references I made to violent kobold death, they weren't meant to be linked. Though this give rise to the pondering question of what the most efficient way to dispatch the kobold is. :smallbiggrin: I agree that it'd need to be done quickly though. In fact, it might be safest to target the candle of invocation first. Or kill the called creature from the candle.
A single casting of magic missile by a 20th level caster can kill a level 1 kobold paladin. Not too fancy, but certainly efficient.

Rubik
2014-04-24, 05:45 PM
A single casting of magic missile by a 20th level caster can kill a level 1 kobold paladin. Not too fancy, but certainly efficient.Having a minion do it would be even more efficient, since that level 20 warblade you Dominated 5 levels ago doesn't have to waste any resources.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-24, 05:46 PM
A single casting of magic missile by a 20th level caster can kill a level 1 kobold paladin. Not too fancy, but certainly efficient.

A 20th level wizard could probably melee a level 1 kobold paladin. +10 BAB and 20d4+(20*con_mod) hit points alone would make him a serious threat.

Ravens_cry
2014-04-24, 05:55 PM
Having a minion do it would be even more efficient, since that level 20 warblade you Dominated 5 levels ago doesn't have to waste any resources.

A 20th level wizard could probably melee a level 1 kobold paladin. +10 BAB and 20d4+(20*con_mod) hit points alone would make him a serious threat.
Yeah, but 5% of the time you (or your Warblade 'buddy') misses, while the Kobold is stone cold dead 100% of the time to the Magic Missile.

Metahuman1
2014-04-24, 06:02 PM
Yeah, but 5% of the time you (or your Warblade 'buddy') misses, while the Kobold is stone cold dead 100% of the time to the Magic Missile.

Just remember to lesser rod of Maximize it to prevent rolling all 1's at the worst possible time. Or have a quickened one to follow up with if you do roll all 1's and 2's and don't do enough damage to quite put it past negative 10 the first time.

Then vaporize the body just to be sure.

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-24, 06:03 PM
Having a minion do it would be even more efficient, since that level 20 warblade you Dominated 5 levels ago doesn't have to waste any resources.

That level 20th Warblade you dominated 5 levels ago? That's too long and tacky, just call it party member and move on.

Vedhin
2014-04-24, 06:55 PM
Nothing. I already made a deal with Pazuzu that includes him slaughtering any kobolds that summon him.

Rubik
2014-04-24, 06:58 PM
That level 20th Warblade you dominated 5 levels ago? That's too long and tacky, just call it party member and move on.But party members steal a full share of XP and shinies from you. Dominated meat-puppets, not so much.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-24, 07:37 PM
But party members steal a full share of XP and shinies from you. Dominated meat-puppets, not so much.

Yeah. Dominate enough PCs, then the other players leave. And then you don't have to split loot or XP with anyone :smalltongue:

Vrock_Summoner
2014-04-24, 08:40 PM
But party members steal a full share of XP and shinies from you. Dominated meat-puppets, not so much.

Really? I was sure there was a rule somewhere that aside from summons, all combatants actively participating in a combat encounter take a share of the XP, NPCs included.

I'll go look through my PHB, DMG, and Rules Compendium and see if I can't find anything relevant.

Doorhandle
2014-04-24, 08:45 PM
Find that kobold and then hi-five him.

...Then try to protect him form the others who would harm him pre-ascension.

Rubik
2014-04-24, 08:54 PM

...Then try to protect him form the others who would harm him pre-ascension.Oooh, you sneaky, underhanded bastage.

Vedhin
2014-04-24, 08:57 PM

...Then try to protect him form the others who would harm him pre-ascension.

Thankfully, the deal with Pazuzu also precludes granting the kobold any Wishes.

NeoPhoenix0
2014-04-24, 09:55 PM
Hope this is the version that gets him all the feats, and he doesn't know about the Elf feat.

If the above conditions are met the threat will deal with itself as he turns into an elf and gets killed by kobolds.

That how it works right?

Edit: if all else fails, I hear the far realm is lovely this side of insanity.

Edit: decided i didn't need purple.

Zweisteine
2014-04-24, 10:25 PM
Make a wish.

"I wish that, starting the moment I finish casting this spell, the Sarrukh species' racial ability to alter other species—the ability called Manipulate Form—may no longer be used to grant any extraordinary abilities."

Other options:
Call Pazuzu yourself. Wish for the death of the kobold who just spoke with him.

Time Stop, Shapechange (Sarrukh), be Pun-pun first, and retroactively kill the other one, with "instantaneous death trough time without paradoxes," a unique extraordinary ability of Pun-pun.

Vaz
2014-04-25, 05:20 AM
Letting them get started is dangerous. If they use their Wishes correctly, everything after the first round can be accomplished inside a Time Stop. They might have to break out of it once they start Sarrukh modification, but by that point they're on a demiplane with a vastly increased time rate. And also have all the defenses Wish alone can give, which is quite a lot, pretty much Pun-Pun Jr. already.

They're already dead though. Either you or a god killed him before he got there.