PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A PF Grapple interactions

PsyBomb
2014-04-24, 02:32 PM
In order to run a playtest, I need to bone up on a couple of odd interactions for Grapple checks. The character in question is a Magis who has a Scorpion Whip with the Grab monster ability (makes sense in context). He can also fly. I haven't really dealt with reach and grapple together much, thus the following questions:

1) If he gets a Grab on someone, could he still move around freely as long as he kept the victim within reach of his whip?

2) By making the successful Grapple check, could he reposition his opponent upwards, as opposed to on the flat grid?

3) While maintaining that grapple, could the character perform actions targeted elsewhere (such as casting a spell at a different target)?

Yanisa
2014-04-24, 02:43 PM
1) Yes, but at a -20 penalty for the grapple check. Otherwise both you and the target are grappled, with all restrictions that includes, like movement. (Also see Grab (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Grab-Ex-))
2) When you grapple someone who is not adjacent to you, as part of the grapple you must move the target to a square adjacent. (Also see the far too complex grapple rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Grapple))
3) Edit: My mistake, while maintaining no. While maintainin you can only Move, Damage, Pin or Tie up.

Yeah there are a lot of rules in play here, I wish you good luck. :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2014-04-24, 04:23 PM
3) While maintaining that grapple, could the character perform actions targeted elsewhere (such as casting a spell at a different target)?

I don't think so.

Grapple: On a successful critical hit with a weapon of this type, you can grapple the target of the attack. The wielder can then attempt a combat maneuver check to grapple his opponent as a free action. This grapple attempt does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the creature you are attempting to grapple if that creature is not threatening you. While you grapple the target with a grappling weapon, you can only move or damage the creature on your turn. You are still considered grappled, though you do not have to be adjacent to the creature to continue the grapple. If you move far enough away to be out of the weapon’s reach, you end the grapple with that action. Source: Ultimate Combat.