PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Breaking an Enchanted Composite Longbow into Component Parts

Getsugaru
2014-04-24, 03:12 PM
I've always been confused by the rules for enchanting/enhancing a composite longbow, but now I am totally confused by something someone told me. I was told that the Energy Bow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) was, based on its price, the equivalent of a +3 with a 4200 gp enchantment. I'm trying to break the bow back down into its component parts so that I can (in theory) use its strength adjusting property and arrow generating property on a different composite longbow. "Help me, Playground. You're [my] only hope."

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-24, 03:33 PM
The Energy Bow costs 22600gp. A masterwork composite longbow costs 400gp, a +2 weapon costs 12000gp.
That leaves 10200gp for the "generate 2d6 force arrows", "automatic adjustment" and "power shot" enhancements.
Either of those could be a +1 enhancement (+6000gp since a +3 weapon costs 18000gp) with the other two costing a fixed 4200gp. Or they could all be one enhancement costing 10200gp.

Since there are no equivalent weapon enhancements you either have to work something out with your DM or get all three for 10200gp or a +1 enhancement +4200gp. The fixed price is better for you if you want to add other enhancements, so it would probably be +1, +4200gp since the enhancement is very cheap for its effect either way.

Getsugaru
2014-04-24, 03:37 PM
The Energy Bow costs 22600gp. A masterwork composite longbow costs 400gp, a +2 weapon costs 12000gp.
That leaves 10200gp for the "generate 2d6 force arrows", "automatic adjustment" and "power shot" enhancements.
Either of those could be a +1 enhancement (+6000gp since a +3 weapon costs 18000gp) with the other two costing a fixed 4200gp. Or they could all be one enhancement costing 10200gp.

Since there are no equivalent weapon enhancements you either have to work something out with your DM or get all three for 10200gp or a +1 enhancement +4200gp. The fixed price is better for you if you want to add other enhancements, so it would probably be +1, +4200gp since the enhancement is very cheap for its effect either way.

So just to clarify, you are stating that the Arrow Generation, Automatic Adjustment, Power Shot and torch effect are a +1 enhancement? Or am I misunderstanding?

Ikeren
2014-04-24, 03:38 PM
Price: 22,600 gp

+2 Magical Bonus and Ghost Touch (+1 Effect) = +3 = 18000gp

Remainder:
4600gp:
Masterwork Composite Longbow: 400gp
Deals 2d6 Force damage
Power Attack
Accomodates any strength

I think all specific weapons count as +1 magic weapons though, so a

+1 Force Bow: 6600gp: +1 attack, 2d6+1 force damage (magic damage included), Power attack, accomodates any strength. You have this weirdness where the force damage here doesn't gain any extra benefit against incorporeal enemies. Maybe call it "physical force".
+2 Force Bow: 12600gp, +2 attack, 2d6+2 force damage (magic damage included), Power attack, accomodates any strength
+2 Ghost Touch Forcebow: 22,600 gp, as Hank's Energy Bow.

That being said, that's a very, very solid bow for 6600gp.

Getsugaru
2014-04-24, 03:42 PM
Additional information: Main reason I'm trying to find this out is to apply Splitting. Also because I'd like to add a few things that can only be done at creation (Serrenwood, Elvencraft, possibly all on a Bow of True Arrows from S&F). :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2014-04-24, 03:44 PM
I tried that (deconstructing the costs) with one DM, who said it was a +4 cost equivalent with a discount (because it sheds light like a torch every time you draw it, which sucks for sniping).

There's no answer.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-04-24, 04:00 PM
So just to clarify, you are stating that the Arrow Generation, Automatic Adjustment, Power Shot and torch effect are a +1 enhancement? Or am I misunderstanding?

All three effects cost a +1 enhancement and an additional 4200gp. How you split the cost between the three effects is up to your DM since it's impossible to determine from the item description.

I tried that (deconstructing the costs) with one DM, who said it was a +4 cost equivalent with a discount (because it sheds light like a torch every time you draw it, which sucks for sniping).

By the rules 30% of magic weapons shed light like a torch. It neither adds nor detracts from the cost. You could keep it as a drawback to balance out how cheap the other enhancements are for their effect, but that only penalizes sniper builds. It could just be one of those weapons that glow, for no special reason.

Captnq
2014-04-24, 04:12 PM
My sig. Get the EVD. Go to folder Combat Equipment.
Weapon Special Abilities Extrapolated v2.02.doc
Look up Energy

ENERGY
- ANIMATED SERIES HANDBOOK (3.5)
[HANK’S ENERGY BOW]
Price: 14,200 gp
Property: Bow
Caster Level: 6th
Aura: Moderate (DC 18) evocation
Activation: —
This bow accommodates a user of any strength. Although unstrung, it fires arrows of pure magical force that deal 2d6 points of damage. As they are force effects, the arrows do not suffer a miss chance when used against incorporeal creatures. The bow can be used to fire normal or magic arrows, but in such cases the bow does not confer its damage due to force. When drawn, the energy bow sheds light like a torch. In addition, you can use the bow to make power shots. To do so, before making attack rolls, choose a number to subtract from your attack rolls up to your base attack and add this same number to the damage dealt by the bow with any attack that hits. The penalty on attack rolls and bonus on damage rolls last until yours next turn.
Construction: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic missile
Editor: Awesome.

Getsugaru
2014-04-24, 04:18 PM
My sig. Get the EVD. Go to folder Combat Equipment.
Weapon Special Abilities Extrapolated v2.02.doc
Look up Energy

ENERGY
- ANIMATED SERIES HANDBOOK (3.5)
[HANK’S ENERGY BOW]
Price: 14,200 gp
Property: Bow
Caster Level: 6th
Aura: Moderate (DC 18) evocation
Activation: —
This bow accommodates a user of any strength. Although unstrung, it fires arrows of pure magical force that deal 2d6 points of damage. As they are force effects, the arrows do not suffer a miss chance when used against incorporeal creatures. The bow can be used to fire normal or magic arrows, but in such cases the bow does not confer its damage due to force. When drawn, the energy bow sheds light like a torch. In addition, you can use the bow to make power shots. To do so, before making attack rolls, choose a number to subtract from your attack rolls up to your base attack and add this same number to the damage dealt by the bow with any attack that hits. The penalty on attack rolls and bonus on damage rolls last until yours next turn.
Construction: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, magic missile
Editor: Awesome.

Once again, you Brilliant Gameologists come to the rescue. Can always count on you to Min to the Max. So, is this a homebrew breakdown or an update to 3.5?

Vogonjeltz
2014-04-26, 10:28 AM
Once again, you Brilliant Gameologists come to the rescue. Can always count on you to Min to the Max. So, is this a homebrew breakdown or an update to 3.5?

Animated series handbook. It appears to be a 3.5 product.