PDA

View Full Version : Pious Theurge or War Magus... better gestalt build?

RavynsLand
2014-04-24, 03:12 PM
'Bout to hop into a new online campaign, I'm restricted to three random books (Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, and Races of the Wild), plus core. Gestalt, starting at level 14. Came up with two builds (and another one, but then realized it didn't work for want of Survival)

1. Sorcerer1 / Shugenja1
2. Sorcerer2 / Shugenja2
3. Sorcerer3 / Shugenja3
4. Sorcerer4 / Shugenja4
5. Mystic Theurge1 / Fighter1
6. Mystic Theurge2 / Fighter2
7. Mystic Theurge3 / Fighter3
8. Mystic Theurge4 / Pious Templar1
9. Mystic Theurge5 / Pious Templar2
10. Mystic Theurge6 / Pious Templar3
11. Mystic Theurge7 / Pious Templar4
12. Mystic Theurge8 / Pious Templar5
13. Mystic Theurge9 / Pious Templar6
14. Mystic Theurge10 / Pious Templar7

or...

1. Sorcerer1 / Favored Soul1
2. Sorcerer2 / Favored Soul2
3. Sorcerer3 / Favored Soul3
4. Sorcerer4 / Favored Soul4
5. Mystic Theurge1 / Fighter1
6. Blood Magus1 / Fighter2
7. Blood Magus2 / Warpriest1
8. Blood Magus3 / Warpriest2
9. Blood Magus4 / Warpriest3
10. Blood Magus5 / Mystic Theurge2
11. Blood Magus6 / Warpriest4
12. Blood Magus7 / Warpriest5
13. Blood Magus8 / Warpriest6
14. Blood Magus9 / Warpriest7

dextercorvia
2014-04-24, 03:23 PM
I would stay away from Mystic Theurge in Gestalt. It is typically frowned on, and you can often get the same effect by gestalting two decent classes together.

RavynsLand
2014-04-24, 03:27 PM
Not with book restrictions. XD

So I take it the first one's pretty much out, then? I'll take another look at the second and see if I can tweak the theurge out of it.

Ikeren
2014-04-24, 03:29 PM
Gestalt doesn't allow you to prestige on both sides, unless the DM has waved that requirement.
Gestalt doesn't allow you to use "merging" prestige classes, like Mystic Theurge, Eldritch Knight and Abjurant champion, unless the DM has waved that requirement.
Gestalt doesn't allow you to gain two caster levels at the same time on the same side, which I think you're doing here: "10. Blood Magus5 / Mystic Theurge2"

That being said, if all those requirements are waved, and you're looking to do insane dual casting using:
Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, and Races of the Wild, and you want to pump in some melee stuff, and you've a preference for spontaneous casting, your second build is solid.

I'd be tempted by something like:
Wizard3/Arcane Heirophant 10.....
Druid3/other good stuff: Fighter2/Paladin2 (cha to saves)/Rogue2(evasion, skills)/melee prestige classes of preference

RavynsLand
2014-04-24, 03:34 PM
Gestalt doesn't allow you to prestige on both sides, unless the DM has waved that requirement.
Gestalt doesn't allow you to use "merging" prestige classes, like Mystic Theurge, Eldritch Knight and Abjurant champion, unless the DM has waved that requirement.

Ah, I didn't know that. This is my first gestalt campaign.

Gestalt doesn't allow you to gain two caster levels at the same time on the same side, which I think you're doing here: "10. Blood Magus5 / Mystic Theurge2"

Actually I blipped Mystic Theurge in there because the fifth level of Blood Magus does not advance spellcasting. ^_^

That being said, if all those requirements are waved, and you're looking to do insane dual casting using:
Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, and Races of the Wild, and you want to pump in some melee stuff, and you've a preference for spontaneous casting, your second build is solid.

I'd be tempted by something like:
Wizard3/Arcane Heirophant 10.....
Druid3/other good stuff: Fighter2/Paladin2 (cha to saves)/Rogue2(evasion, skills)/melee prestige classes of preference

Well, I guess I'll wait and see if they're waived (he didn't mention it, but maybe it's not necessary for him to). Other than that I'll fix up the second build to make it work. With different news in light, I'd likely swap sorc and soul for Generalist and cleric, taking wizard 'til level 5 and swapping the second theurge level for one level of mindbender.

Again, if dual-prestiging is allowed.

RavynsLand
2014-04-24, 03:46 PM
Changed the War Magus to this:

1. Generalist1 / Cleric1
2. Generalist2 / Cleric2
3. Generalist3 / Cleric3
4. Generalist4 / Cleric4
5. Generalist5 / Fighter1
10. Blood Magus5 / Mindbender1

So, if dual prestige classes are allowed, I'll do that. If not I'll have to rethink. Maybe some kind of ranger/wizard.

dextercorvia
2014-04-24, 09:01 PM
Changed the War Magus to this:

1. Generalist1 / Cleric1
2. Generalist2 / Cleric2
3. Generalist3 / Cleric3
4. Generalist4 / Cleric4
5. Generalist5 / Fighter1
10. Blood Magus5 / Mindbender1

So, if dual prestige classes are allowed, I'll do that. If not I'll have to rethink. Maybe some kind of ranger/wizard.

I saw your ranger/wizard in the game thread, and that looks good.