PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Useful scrolls for divine-esque diplomancing Summoner

Spore
2014-04-24, 03:39 PM
Greetings playground,

I have built a moderately optimized Summoner 10 with the following spells, wands and scrolls. Party consists of a poorly built Rogue/Arcane Archer (more misses than hits), Trip Monkey Fighter (CON 12) and an evil buffing/enchantment cleric.

0:
Detect Magic
Read Magic
Open/Close
Mage Hand
1:
Mage Armor
Shield
Grease (Eidolon flies, Trip Monkey has insane Acrobatics)
Protection from Evil (to counter mind control)
Enlarge Person (for Trip Monkey)

2:
Bark Skin (AC for Trip Monkey and Eidolon)
Haste (probably saving here since Blessing of Fervor is a thing)
Slow
Lesser Evolution Surge (which evo for flying large bipedal weapon wielding eidolon? My best guess is immunity, combat maneuvers, unnatural aura for negative energy healing)
Summon Eidolon (for when it's needed)
Glitterdust
Invisibility

3:
Greater Invisbility (Eidolon, Rogue and if charges are left, Trip Monkey)
Dimension Door
Heroism (Trip Monkey)
Fly (for Rogue)

4:
Greater Evolution Surge (Spell Resistance, See in Darkness, Breath Weapon, Frightful Presence)
Purified Calling (i know it's a poor choice, I would've taken Magic Jar, Overland Flight or Teleport, but it fits the fluff)

So far I have:

Wands:
Cure Light Wounds
Rejuvenate Eidolon

Scrolls:
Expeditious Retreat x3
See Invisibility x2
Tongues x1

Budget is 16.000, the adventure will be short as my character is just a random passerby. The story is that the party has a Mirror of Life Trapping with several evil powerful Clerics inside. The group killed an Angel to get the mirror to a local Lich to get to free the sister of rogue. My character will intend to inform himself about Liches and buy anything needed to kill a Lich and destroy his phylactery.

Planar Binding via Scroll and the rules in Ultimate Magic is also a strong contender since I guess my DM would allow a Diplomacy check.

Questions:

- What should I buy?
- What should I summon to rid of the Lich? I guess I will get penalties for summoning Angels (since we killed one not too long ago)

I want to heavily contribute to the success of the group but I do not want to outshine the rogue heavily. It's his personal side quest but man the character is built poorly. Anything to help him get his game on will be welcome.

avr
2014-04-24, 08:50 PM
If your enemy is a lich Dispel Magic seems essential. Relying on an evil prepared caster to have enough of these would be a mistake IMO.

If you're going to use Diplomacy in a prepared situation Honeyed Tongue (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/honeyed-tongue) would be good.

If the rogue may be attempting to sneak around a lich, Nondetection will be necessary.

If you can get scrolls of paladin spells, Veil of Positive Energy (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/veil-of-positive-energy) is worthwhile.

Spore
2014-04-24, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the very good choices of buffs. Anything to find the phylactery? I suppose Locate Object is either dealt with or the phylactery is in plain sight.

If your enemy is a lich Dispel Magic seems essential. Relying on an evil prepared caster to have enough of these would be a mistake IMO.

As the player has used an evil doomsday device even on his PALADIN I see the inevitable betrayal as fitting. But since my character is someone foreign to the party and suspicious of ANYONE in the group I suppose I will need counter-measures against a cleric with the possible domains of Chaos, Evil, Charm/Lust, Trickery. As well as counter-measures to fight possibly freed clerics from the Soul Trapping Mirror.

As we have fought liches before I somehow think the Lich is a clerical one.

avr
2014-04-24, 11:33 PM
Anything to find the phylactery? I suppose Locate Object is either dealt with or the phylactery is in plain sight.
I'm not sure Locate Object would work if you don't have a description of the phylactery and it's blocked by a thin sheet of lead anyway. A few Detect Secret Doors might be more useful.

I was thinking that an evil cleric on your side might only have one or two Dispel Magics prepared (IME they prefer more active spells) and that you could easily want half a dozen or so against a lich with time to prepare. Glyphs of Warding or similar everywhere. Treachery is a whole different problem.