PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-09, 01:24 PM
Ok, basically I just dared myself to see if I could do this. Suggestions welcome, especially on an official LA for the cheesy monstrosity that is Superman.

His speeds I kind of chose at random. Land speed is around 500 MPH (never yet seen him running fast enough to create a sonic boom), and Fly speed is Mach 5. I know he supposedly can go faster than the speed of light, but thats dumb and I won't have it. So there.

I looked at the weight of a small mountain and tried to figure in roughly his strength, which allows him to lift, over his head, around 20+ million pounds. Again, yes, he supposedly can shift the very moon, but again, DUMB.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Kryptonian

Kryptonian characters possess the following racial traits.
* +110 Strength, +88 Dexterity, +100 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, +8 Wisdom, +2 Charisma
* Medium: As Medium creatures, Kryptonians have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
* Kryptonian base land speed is 4,400 feet. Kryptonian fly speed is 33,880 ft. (perfect)
* Blindsight 1,000 ft.
* Naturally Psionic: Kryptonians gain 1 bonus power point.
* Breathless: A Kryptonian does not need to breathe and us thus immune to drowning, asphyxiation, airless environs and similiar conditions.
* Fast Healing: While in direct sunlight of a yellow sun a kryptonian gains fast healing 40.
* Damage reduction 100/magic and kryptonite.
* Resistance to Energy: Energy attacks deal only subdual damage to a kryptonian.
* Vulnerability to Kryptonite: If within 20 feet of kryptonite, a kryptonian's physical scores all decrease to 1 and they lose all special abilities, attacks, and qualities. They are rendered Helpless and their racial HD decrease to 1d8. These penalties last for as long as the kryptonian is within 20 feet of this kryptonite and for 2d4 rounds thereafter.
* Natural Attack: A kryptonian can make two melee attacks to deal 50d6 points of damage plus Strength modifier. A kryptonian's natural attacks are considered adamantine for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and ignore any hardness of 50 or less.
* Energy Line (Ex): As a standard action a kryptonian can release a line of focused light from their eyes as a ranged touch attack. This attack deals 1d8 points of damage per HD of the Kryptonian.
* Icy Breath (Ex): A kryptonian has a breath weapon, a 100-foot cone of cold that deals 40d6 points of cold damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + half HD + Constitution modifier) halves.
* Tempest Breath (Ex): As a full round action a Kryptonian can release a great cone of hurricane-force winds 1,000-feet long.
* Telekinetic Force (Su): A kryptonian can use telekinetic force as a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Manifester level equal to half HD. The save DC is Charisma-based.
* Atmospheric Containment: A Kryptonian is capable of retaining any enviroment they have been exposed to for a number of rounds equal to their constitution modifier.
* Racial Hit Dice: A Kryptonian begins with ninety levels of humanoid, which provide 90d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +67, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +30, Ref +47, and Will +30.
* Racial Skills: Despite their high HD a Kryptonian without class levels only has racial skill points equal to 2 + Intelligence modifier x 4.
* Racial Feats: A Kryptonian gains two feats.
* Favored Class: Any
* Level Adjustment: ?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 01:29 PM
LA: +70. Beyond that...hell. O_o. The mind. It boggles.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-09, 01:30 PM
I think the LA should be: Don't Even Think About It

CR of the Same.

Rumda
2007-02-09, 01:30 PM
nice very nice :smallbiggrin:

Orzel
2007-02-09, 01:35 PM
Level Adjustment: +50

Hi's pretter much a flying, hard to injure, fighter with a crazy weakness.
He can't even teleport.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-09, 01:40 PM
With stat adjustments approaching +300, I'd say he's a god, at least while under a Yellow Sun. That's the other weakness. If you take him to a world with a red, blue, green, or purple sun, he might have some problems. I think they might have retconned that part out. I don't know.

Peregrine
2007-02-09, 01:55 PM
Two words.

Kryptonian. Kobold.

Mwahahahaha... :smallbiggrin:

...*chokes on evil laughter* Wait, it's a race, not a template. Whoops. :smallfrown: Well, fine. I'll just stick with my backup plan of wondering how a caster could most efficiently take out such a character, and then imagine this actually being done to Superman. :smalltongue:

Lapak
2007-02-09, 02:02 PM
The DR should be Magic OR Kryptonite; either one can affect Superman without needing the other.

Fun, though!

Druid
2007-02-09, 02:08 PM
It needs the ability to make up new powers as needed.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-09, 02:20 PM
In Superman Returns he has Perfect maneuvarability.

I know you're trying to be insane but I don't think he needs 90 racial HD.

Roderick_BR
2007-02-09, 02:25 PM
Hehe. That's hilarious. You just need to change a few things: All his special abilities and physical ability bonuses are cancelled if he stays out of the sun for 1d6+1 days (Underdark, for example)
His punchs doesn't need to do 50d6 of damage. His str +110 is enough to destroy a lot of things (damage +55!). Superman himself, is known to have taken a few martial classes as well, so he may have maybe 1 monk level.
Other than that, yeah, perfect.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-09, 03:54 PM
He also needs a power that lets him make craft checks as a standard action so he can write reports in seconds. He needs his super hearing as well.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-09, 04:20 PM
Level Adjustment: +50

Hi's pretter much a flying, hard to injure, fighter with a crazy weakness.
He can't even teleport.

He doesn't need to teleport. He can walk.

Seriously, I can't even begin to calculate his LA, but it's probably +100 at least. No matter how Epic the spellcaster, he's going to just shrug off that spell. His only weakness is his Will Save.

With Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack he can walk up to a mage, splat him with his fist, and then walk out of sight before anyone can react. He could swing back around for the Fighter, Cleric, Rogue and Paladin, one round each. Or just hit them all with his breath attack.

Icewalker
2007-02-09, 04:23 PM
I like it. Ignore the level adjustment, thinking about it may result in the implosion of ones mind. But why does he have fast-healing 40? I thought he was just uber-invincible and crazy strong and fast and had laser eyes and such.

Wizard_Tom
2007-02-09, 04:57 PM
Don't forget the Super-Hypnotism ability. When wearing glasses he has +35 to disguise checks.

Also, supes totally has perfect flight.

Indon
2007-02-09, 05:24 PM
It needs the ability to make up new powers as needed.

Super-weaving?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-09, 05:32 PM
I know you're trying to be insane but I don't think he needs 90 racial HD.
Not 'trying' to be insane, trying to stat out Superman as he appears. Seriously, anyone who can dodge bullets should have a fantastic reflex save, and at least in the Smallville show he's got a sort of 'super will' that at least lets him attempt to fight off the mind control of other aliens.

Hehe. That's hilarious. You just need to change a few things: All his special abilities and physical ability bonuses are cancelled if he stays out of the sun for 1d6+1 days (Underdark, for example)
This in the comic books I presume?

His punchs doesn't need to do 50d6 of damage. His str +110 is enough to destroy a lot of things (damage +55!).
He could punch out the walls of a bank vault which I'm sure is more than a measely 55 damage though :smallwink:

He also needs a power that lets him make craft checks as a standard action so he can write reports in seconds. He needs his super hearing as well.
Well, went with Blindsight to at least attempt to cover that, but its difficult to figure out an ability that lets him hear everything from a scream to a roach nibbling a crumb from a hundred miles up...

I like it. Ignore the level adjustment, thinking about it may result in the implosion of ones mind. But why does he have fast-healing 40? I thought he was just uber-invincible and crazy strong and fast and had laser eyes and such.
In Superman Returns he was half dead but managed to get up above the clouds and basked in the sunlight. He then healed up almost all his damage.

Wonder if I shouldn't also give them a Tongues ability. He seems to speak every language on the planet...

Rama_Lei
2007-02-09, 05:37 PM
Oh, and what all DC heroes need:The ability to shoot rainbows out of their crotch.

TempusCCK
2007-02-09, 06:10 PM
Hilarious, and reminds me of how much I hate Superman.

knightsaline
2007-02-09, 09:21 PM
If you are going by the comics, he needs to have a weakness to bad dreams and has a Vow of Non-killing (he can bash them up, but he never kills if he can help it). if you want, make them have a penalty to diplomacy (kryptonians didn't interact with each other much and touching each other was a big no-no) Supes doesn't have this, as it was a learnt thing (nurture over nature)

on a slightly related tangent, VT, have you read the science of superheroes? it even has a hulk that has nothing to go with gamma rays. Superman is scientifically impossible, as pre-crisis, they explained that his powers were a result of his race being made of tougher stuff than our fleshy selves, yet in order to do that, his bones would have been able to take 1000 times earths gravity. barring extraterrestrial genetic tampering or some unknown element, kryptonians are impossible. the book referenced also said that the green lantern corps power rings were powered by white holes and there is no reason why the rings are weak to yellow.

Jothki
2007-02-09, 11:24 PM
He could punch out the walls of a bank vault which I'm sure is more than a measely 55 damage though :smallwink:

Still, his fists are pretty much normal, he's just ridiculously strong. Does Power Attack work on inanimate objects? That might not be enough to make it up even if it works, though.

magic8BALL
2007-02-10, 01:33 AM
yes, his fists are normal, but a simple lesson in kenetic energy reveals:

E=(mv^2)/2

the mass is slightly increased from a human fist... but the velociey of supermans punch would be in excess of mach 10... therefore he can produce more energy (and hench damage) with his fist-sized fists.

Physics: the practical branch of maths... love it.

bosssmiley
2007-02-10, 05:36 AM
Betcha someone at DiceFreaks has already done a Kryptonian template (and someone else has explained how Batman could still beat it with sufficient prep time). :smallwink:

Quick and dirty way to represent Supes? Divine Ranks and SDAs.

Yuki Akuma
2007-02-10, 07:05 AM
Supes does breathe. He can just hold his breathe for unholy amounts of time. He can't stay in space or underwater indefinitely.

Jack_Simth
2007-02-10, 09:08 AM
Honestly, I think he models a little better as an Epic Wilder, with green kryptonite making an anti-psionic field....

Ajikozau
2007-02-10, 10:16 AM
He is not immune to Vorpal, have fun... (Unless he can survive headless :p)

Iituem
2007-02-10, 10:58 AM
Uff! Well, the comic books (and Superman 4) have demonstrated that prolonged non-exposure to a yellow sun will cause him to lose all his powers and more or less become a human being. It seems implied that the Kryptonians were actually of human level on their homeworld (but were probably being perpetually weakened by their own planet) and didn't have a yellow sun to give them uberpowers.

However.

LA: (Str +18, Dex +15, Con +16, Int, Wis, Cha +3.)
(Super-Speed +110)
(Super-Sight +20)
(Psion +1)
(Breathless +1)
(Fast Heal +8)
(DR +20)
(Energy Resist +2)
(Natural Weapon +25)
(Lasers +8)
(Icy Breath +20)
(Tempest Breath +8)
(Telekinesis +1)
(Atmospheric Containment +1)
(HD +22)

Total LA: +299

In effect, Superman is actually more powerful than most D&D Gods.

To effectively counter this, Batman will have to have at least 40 levels in Rogue (He's a Ninja!) and some handy kryptonite darts.

Edit: On the other hand, with a Level Adjustment like that, he probably won't be experiencing much XP from defeating his foes. This explains his fixation with Lois - the only thing still granting him any advancement at all is roleplaying XP.

Edit Mk II: Or not. Given as he is not a divine entity, nor strictly immortal, he can still be killed by a God with power over Death, even though that God would technically be of a lower level than him.