PDA

View Full Version : The Year of the Spider [IC]

Plerumque
2014-04-24, 08:47 PM
It's a fairly typical day in Daltane's large and bustling port: cargo being loaded on and off ships, men being hired, goods being sold, ships setting sail and anchoring, the air filled with both sorrowful partings and "Good riddance!"s. With all the chaos, many fail at first to notice the ship- it is, after all, merely a dot on the horizon at first. But it grows larger, and as it becomes fully visible many fall silent, pointing it out to their friends or fellow sailors. The ship's hull is black as night, and slicing the waves it appears almost as if someone had carved a ship out of obsidian. When the flag flapping at the mast comes close enough to be seen, the port falls almost quiet for the first time in anyone's memory. A bloodred pennant, with the stylized form of a spider reaching out a black leg to touch each corner. It's a flag that was clearly designed to be seen, remembered, and feared. Suddenly, people start scattering, dropping their crates and running, not knowing what the ship is but giving in to what their instincts are saying, or perhaps thinking that the pirates of Kaluska have returned. But many more stand still at the docks, trying to recall any such flag from any nation, searching through books of symbols and trying to decode the potential message, or guessing at the ship's mysterious craftmanship. But soon they realize that it's not getting any closer. Just far enough out in the water to display its fearsome flag to the citizens of Daltane, the ship has dropped anchor in rough waters, yet seems unaffected by them. How long it will stay there is anyone's guess.

AngryCyc
2014-04-24, 08:55 PM
Eydan

Feeling a bit uneasy with the peculiar behavior of the ship, Eydan makes for his superiors to report what he has seen. He begins hurrying off to the nearest superior he can find and, as he goes, allows his mind to focus all to well on the details of the ship...

Focused Trance, Knowledge(history) [roll0]

Finally finding one of the officers, he snaps to and reports "Sir! Strange ship approaching the docks, appearing to fly a very strange flag..."

SuperCracker
2014-04-24, 10:40 PM
Aeryn Kane
So it begins...

Aeryn was down by the shore. Today, he had been given a quest to find an old man's lucky fishing pole that had accidentally dropped into the drink. It was not a very fun quest, indeed. In fact, Aeryn almost felt like it was a joke being played on him.

For the last twenty minutes, he had been lowering a large hook into the water in an attempt to catch the rod and bring it up. The first attempt rescued an old boot. The second attempt found a clump of seaweed. It wasn't until the fifth try that Aeryn struck paydirt. With great delight and a huge grin, he hoisted the pole out from the water.

"Ha! I got you! You thought you could get away, but I got you! Oh yes, I have done it! What do you think, Mister?"

As Aeryn turned to look at the old man and present the fishing pole, he saw the old man running... about fifty feet away by then. Aeryn blinked once. His shoulders drooped. Oh... wait. Everyone else is running, too. What was going on? Aeryn turned in a circle, looking around until he saw the ship.

"Oh. Right."

AttilaTheGeek
2014-04-25, 05:49 AM
Finally finding one of the officers, Eydan snaps to and reports "Sir! Strange ship approaching the docks, appearing to fly a very strange flag..."

Vaerin is just emerging from a frustrating meeting as he hears Eydan call the sighted ship. Damn, I really wanted that promotion, why'd they have to give it to- wait-- what?! He rushes over to the watch where Eydan's standing and try to get a good look at the ship. Turning to Eydan and the officer, he say "I've never seen a flag like that. Have you?"

Perception: [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-04-25, 07:42 AM
Eydan's captain turns sharply. "What? Where?" He raises a spyglass to his eye and turns back in shock. "Eydan, what the hells is that? The flag... almost certainly a pirate ship or attack vessel. But what in Erastil's name can that ship be made of? It's moving through the sea like it's a mill-pond!" He calls out to the others, "Hostile ship on the horizon!", sparking the chaos that would soon engulf the port, and turning back to Eydan inquiringly.

Eydan can be almost sure that no such flag has ever flown in sight of Daltane or any other major city, or if it was it was not recorded. The ship's building mateials, however, he can identify. It's made out of a material called chimera stone, a near-mythical substance rumored to be harder than steel and yet light enough to float. It's found only on the continent of Arathis, halfway around the globe.

AngryCyc
2014-04-25, 07:57 AM
Eydan

Eydan answers both with "Sirs, I do not say this lightly or out of ignorance, but with confidence... those colors have never been flown anywhere near here in the last, oh... probably centuries. But the material of the ship... That's the most peculiar part." Eydan excitedly starts detailing the qualities of the material. "It appears to be Chimera Stone... harder than steel but light enough to float. It's only found on the continent of Arathis though! So this ship must have traveled... just. SO far. Whatever it is doing here, it has a purpose."

Calinero
2014-04-25, 11:51 AM
Tynos

It had been a few days since Tynos had found any paying work, and he was starting to get restless. Restoring his family's wealth and merchant fleet was a grand goal, but it seemed so out of reach when anything he earned almost immediately was spent on things like rent and food and drink--and the occasional night of carousing to keep himself sane. He had taken to wandering the docks again, looking for any ships that might be hiring and in need of a caster. He went from ship to ship, looking for sailors he had worked with before who might be able to put a good word in for him. Soon, though, he realized that no one was working. The sounds of panic began to carry through the air.

Following the sounds of commotion, he saw his friend Aeryn standing by the water, looking out at the sea. For a second, Tynos didn't see what he (and everyone else on the dock) were looking at and shouting about. Then, he saw the ship.

"I'm guessing you're as confused by this ship as I am?" Tynos said, walking up to Aeryn. "I've never seen that flag before. Do you think it's dangerous?"

Plerumque
2014-04-25, 03:38 PM
The captain gazes at Eydan with a look of amazement. "Chimera stone? That can't be right. No one has enough to build a godsdamned ship out of that, at least not in these latitudes. You've never steered me wrong, Eydan, but from this distance... it's just... Chimera stone?" He shakes his head, bewildered. "I'm not equipped to deal with this situation. Where the hell is the admiral? He should be taking charge here. Instead he's doing paperwork, probably." He curses again and looks around. "I'll run and fetch him. Until then, use your own discretion. Don't do anything rash." With that, he turns and runs down the board, coat flapping behind him.

SuperCracker
2014-04-25, 04:18 PM
Aeryn

The half-elf was simply standing there now, watching the ship and pondering the possibilities raised by its presence. He didn’t know the origin of this ship, but he did know that they were intending a show of intimidation by the general appearance of the ship.

He heard a familiar voice speaking to him, and though he answered Tynos, Aeryn kept his eyes squarely on the ship itself. The evil-looking banner of the spider, the way the ship just sat in the water like it did.

“I’m not sure what to think, yet, Tynos. But let’s look at the circumstances. The ship is crafted in such a way that inspires fear. The same can be said about the banner. Without knowing who is on that ship, or what ships might be coming, we can really only look at the way it arrived. It's displaying power. It’s trying to intimidate us. And it seems to be working.”

He finally turned around towards Tynos and gave him a slightly wild grin.

“It’s exactly what adventurers should look into. What do you say?”

Calinero
2014-04-26, 11:35 AM
Tynos

Tynos chuckled. "What, with no one paying us?" He shook his head, but still grinned. "Bad business sense, but I suppose someone has to take initiative." He looked around to see if anyone else seemed to know what was going on. Spotting the captain running off, Tynos's attention turned to Eydan. Nodding in Eydan's direction, Tynos said "It looks like he knows something about the ship. Maybe we should ask him?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-26, 06:57 PM
As he hurries away, Eydan addresses Aerin again, a bit less formally ""I have a feeling things are about to change very, very drastically around here..." while waiting for the higher-ups to sort things out.

SuperCracker
2014-04-27, 01:17 AM
Aeryn Kane

"Always so mercenary, my friend!"

He said with a wry grin on his face. But Aeryn had no problem with that. After-all, any adventurer worth his or her salt has a love for gold coins. And Aeryn is no exception.

"There may not be a posted fee yet, but fortune favors the bold."

AttilaTheGeek
2014-04-28, 08:39 AM
As he hurries away, Eydan addresses Vaerin again, a bit less formally ""I have a feeling things are about to change very, very drastically around here..." while waiting for the higher-ups to sort things out.

Vaerin replies with a grin. "You've got that right. For better or for worse, this is an opportunity. Someone's got to find out about that boat, and I'd rather not just stand around while they do. Chimera stone, eh? So whoever built that ship is either very powerful or very rich, and either way, I want to get to know them. Want to head down to the docks to see what we can find out?

Plerumque
2014-04-30, 05:00 PM
As the fiends are talking amongst themselves, a young man dressed in anaval uniform hurries up the gangway and salutes Eydan. "Sir, the captain said you were in charge until he got back, being the one to first spot that demon and all. It seems to have dropped anchor, although I haven't a deuce how, so me'n the other crew of the Waterspout- well, really the Siren's Quarry, but that's wht the other boys nicknamed us- anyway, we were wondering if you wanted to organize a ship out to meet them or anything. Oh, and the captain said to tell you that the admiral wasn't in his office, so he's trying to find a replacement bastard somewhere to fill in. Although I'm not sure he wanted me to say that all to you," he adds with a somewhat sheepish look on his face. "He also mentioned something about everyone else being incompetent. Although I'm sure it's still a very great honor to fill in. Anyway, what would you have us do, sir?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-30, 05:25 PM
"Siren's Quarry huh? Make her ready. We set off in 10 minutes." Eydan says, with a smile to his friend.

"Well. I think this might be better than merely poking around, eh?"

SuperCracker
2014-04-30, 05:58 PM
Aeryn

“Hmm… perhaps we should take a more direct look. I’m sure there’s an enterprising sailor willing to at least loan a rowboat.”

He waved Tynos along and made his way towards the docks themselves, where ships of all kinds were waiting.

Plerumque
2014-04-30, 09:42 PM
The young officer salutes and hurries away, leading the pair to a newly finished boat that gleams in the sun, crisp sails flapping in the breeze. "She's got some of the bravest crew around, sir! We'll be ready to take her out as soon as you are. Just give me a second to assemble the crew." He vanishes over the side and a piercing whistle sounds, followed by a muted chorus of voices and what seems like a heated argument. His head reappears in a few minutes. "Ah, it seems that perhaps not all our men are quite as eager to make the journey as I am." Several men proceed past his glare down onto the boardwalk, heads down. "So it seems we're, ah, a bit short-handed. Anyone here willing to make the trip, see the new ship, perhaps go down in history as a valiant explorer?" He peers down at the collected sailors watching the ship with interest, but all shake their head or back away nervously. "Well, we need more, dammit! We don't need much other than laborers, but we're not supposed to set sail without a certain number." Just then he catches sight of Aeryn and Tynos, and seems to recognize the former. "You there! You look like likely fellows. Any experience at sea?" he asks, desperation clearly in his voice.

SuperCracker
2014-05-01, 12:23 AM
Aeryn

Aeryn passed some of the sailors slinking off with their collective tails between their legs. He looked at them with a raised eyebrow, even turning around to walk backwards for a clip as he did so. And that’s when he heard someone calling out. Aeryn quickly turned around and pointed at the man.

Any experience at sea?

“None at all!” Aeryn answers with enthusiasm and a grin. “But I do have strong arms and a sword in case you need it. Aaaand I was looking for passage to the ship. Win win!”

Before the sailor can say no, Aeryn walked right on board, giving a salute as he walked by.

“Aye aye, captain.”

Calinero
2014-05-01, 09:27 AM
Tynos

Following Aeryn, Tynos couldn't help but grin as they heard the man calling for volunteers. This sounded like his time to shine.

"I come from a long line of sailors and merchants," Tynos said, "And I've worked odd jobs before. We going to take a look at that ship out there?" He nodded in the direction of the mystery ship.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-01, 10:00 AM
"Siren's Quarry huh? Make her ready. We set off in 10 minutes." Eydan says, with a smile to his friend.

"Well. I think this might be better than merely poking around, eh?"

Vaerin responds with a grin as well. "Oh, yes it is. I'm going to head down right now, check out the ship, see what kind of crew we'll have. You're welcome to come along, unless you have business you need to finish up here."

When Vaerin gets down to the dock, he can easily find the one ship still full of activity. He taps the nearest sailor on the shoulder to get their attention, then asks to make sure he's in the right place. "Excuse me? This is the-" he pauses to mentally stop himself from calling it the Waterspout "-the Siren's Quarry?" For a ship with a name like that, she doesn't look too beat up. "If she's heading out to meet that black ship, I'd like to go aboard."

"My name is Vaerin Sciath- I'm with the city guard- and I'm leading the investigation."
"My name is Vaerin Sciath, and this is my associate, Eydan Azomur. We're with the city guard, and we're investigating the vessel."

Plerumque
2014-05-01, 08:45 PM
"Excellent," the crewman replies. "We are indeed investigating the vessel. You, you, and you, you're on. Is Mr. Azomur here? We set sail when he's ready." As the men walk up the gangway, he says to them, "Those of you that don't know how to sail, sit tight for the moment, but be on guard for anything out of the ordinary." He tosses Aeryn a spyglass. "You," he says, directing it at Tynos. "You know how to work the rigging? We could use another man on the sails."

Changed his color, didn't realize how close it was to Tynos'.

AngryCyc
2014-05-01, 08:49 PM
"If everything is ready... Make it so!" Eydan proclaims, nervous excitement visible on his face.

SuperCracker
2014-05-02, 12:29 AM
Aeryn

He catches the spyglass as he walks by the crewman. He proceeds to make his way to the very front of the boat (don’t ask him what the naval term was) and plant one foot ahead of the other, peeking through the spyglass at the ship.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-02, 09:14 AM
Vaerin walks to the bow of the Siren's Quarry to get a better look at the mysterious black ship. As he hears the rest of the crew preparing for launch, he turns to Eydan. "Well, you're the boss. Are we ready to head out? I don't know much about boats, but is there anything I can do to help?"

Calinero
2014-05-02, 04:41 PM
Tynos

Tynos looks up at the rigging and shrugs. "I'm actually a wizard," he says, "So most of my experience is with spellcasting, but I can give it a go." Turning to look at the others, besides Aeryn, he introduces himself. "I'm Tynos, by the way."

SuperCracker
2014-05-02, 08:34 PM
Aeryn

Hearing Tynos introduce himself, Aeryn decided it would be good to do the same. Granted, he only looked away from the spyglass for a brief moment. He had a job to do, afterall!

"Aeryn Kane, spellsword and adventurer, at your service."

Plerumque
2014-05-02, 10:59 PM
The young captain turns and nods shortly. "Gascon." Turning to the others, he says, "Anyone with the know-how to work the sails or ropes, join the crew. Otherwise, keep watch at the bow. Let us know if you see anything out of the ordinary. Shouldn't be much of a journey, we'll only need your strength if a storm brews up out of nowhere." He gestures to one or two other sailors who volunteered, directing them towards the rigging. Taking up a position at the helm, he yells for the boat to be loosed and, sails catching the breeze and snapping out, the Waterspout leaves the harbor.

After a few minutes, the black ship on the horizon grows nearer, close enough that those looking out can see tiny figures moving around on its deck, light glinting off something in little bright flashes- armor or weapons they're holding, perhaps.

AngryCyc
2014-05-02, 11:13 PM
Eydan stands towards the front of the ship, gazing earnestly at the strange ship before him... trying to get a fine eye for the exact details. He manages to get a hold of a spyglass being passed around and takes a good hard look around before passing it back.

As they start to get closer, Eydan stands near the middle of the ship where he can target the full crew, and casts Blessing of the Watch on these brave soldiers... whether they be brave or even soldiers.

[perception with guidance [roll0]

and Blessings of the Watch is Bless, except with 1 hour/level duration and only within our jurisdiction, which... I assume since we're sailing out there, this water counts as in our jurisdiction. FREE BLESS FOR THE NEXT HOUR!!

Calinero
2014-05-03, 10:05 AM
Tynos

Tynos makes his way around the rigging, trying his best not to trip over himself or get in anyone's way. He knows more or less where everything is supposed to go, but hasn't done a lot of this work with his hands before. Also, he is distracted by the ship. Tarok, sensing his master's agitation, skitters out of his breast pocket, over his shoulder, and down into one of his sleeves. Tynos smiles at the little scorpion's agitation, and peers out at the other ship--what are those figures?

Perception, with bonus from Familiar and Bless:

[roll0]

SuperCracker
2014-05-03, 10:46 AM
Aeryn Kane

Of course, the man with the spyglass had to get in on this perception-checking! Things scurrying around on deck with possible weapons means that a Shield spell would be useful.

Though, Aeryn is better at some things than others...

[roll0]

EDIT: +1 from Bless means 19.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-03, 10:37 PM
Vaerin turns to the others to give a brief introduction. "Hello. I'm Vaerin. Vaerin Sciath; I'm with the watch. A pleasure to meet you," he continues, though it sounds a bit forced. He tries to see what he can on the other ship, but lacking a spyglass, it isn't much. For lack of anything better to do, he snaps his fingers and casts a spell. "Prestidigitation!" Who knows when it might come in handy?

Perception: [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-05-04, 08:43 AM
Eydan can tell that the figures on the ship aren't holding anything, and as the ship sails closer, all looking through a spyglass can identify the source: their skin is covered in chitinous plates, which catch the light and gleam brightly. They can also tell that the ship appears to have no weapons, at least mounted on the deck. "We'll be approaching close enough to board in about two minutes, if anyone has any last-minute preparations," the captain announces before approaching the lookouts. "Well?"

AngryCyc
2014-05-04, 09:15 AM
"I-..." Eydan shrugs, genuinely lost for words.

Calinero
2014-05-04, 06:46 PM
Tynos

Rather than casting any spells, Tynos simply draws his shortbow so it will be ready.

Plerumque
2014-05-05, 04:45 PM
The captain snatches his spyglass back from Aeryn and raises it to his eye. "Some kind of insect creature?" He rubs his brow. "This isn't my jurisdiction. Hell, it hasn't been since we first caught glimpse of the ship. I'll get you close, prepare my men and women for battle. I expect you, if something goes wrong, to try and get whatever information you can to those at shore. Boarding in one minute." he calls to the crew.

SuperCracker
2014-05-05, 04:48 PM
Aeryn

He was watching those chitinous sailors through the eyeglass when it was abruptly taken away! Aeryn blinked and turned towards the Captain. "HeyIwasusingthat!" The slight is quickly forgotten, however, when the captain informs them that they will board the ship in one minute.

Aeryn takes a breath and unsheathes his sword. His abilities currently would only last for one minute, so he'd need to wait until the last possible second before engaging his magical talents.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-05, 06:46 PM
At the one minute call, Vaerin steps back from the railing and heads towards the stern. Once he reaches a safe distance, he whispers "Silent Image" to create an illusion of another squad of soldiers on our side, dressed in heavy armor and shields, but with swords still sheathed. "These reinforcements couldn't hurt the negotiations", Vaerin say to the captain. "And if things go south, they could be used to confuse the enemy."

AngryCyc
2014-05-05, 07:10 PM
Finally catching himself, Eydan starts Now hold on one minute everyone. There is absolutely no need to be preparing for battle... and to do as much makes us look extremely untrustworthy! They have done nothing aggressive towards us whatsoever, so even if they were all giant spidermen with flame tongues and demons for hearts, we still treat them amicably until they give us reason to not do so! We are here to investigate and make PEACEFUL contact. Not to blow a lone ship out of the water for the crime of entering our harbor as a different species." Eydan ends with a scoff.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-05, 08:53 PM
Vaerin takes a step back and puts his hands up in front of him. "Jeez, I know. That's why the illusions aren't attacking. But you can't tell me we can just watch those things come in here on an unknown ship with no idea where they're from or what they even are, and not prepare for the worst. Wrongly assuming they're hostile could mess up our negotiations, but wrongly assuming they're not could be the last mistake we ever make."

Plerumque
2014-05-05, 09:06 PM
"And remember the flag," the captain interjects, although the billowing red-and-black pennant needs no reminder, as close as it is now. "If they came to trade or negotiate, it seems like they would fly one less likely to inspire terror. Still, I can't claim to know the minds of these creatures. I can promise you that weapons will remain in sheaths unless they provoke us- but remember, I am the one responsible for the safety of everyone on this ship, all of which have lives that I intend to return them to. If they indicate hostility, we will fight back with all measures at our disposal." His mouth is set in a firm line. "But I did not come over here to have an argument. I intend to stay a ways out from the ship and see if they recognize naval code first, but if they do not, I intend to organize a diplomatic party. I don't want to actually provoke them by bringing our ship alongside theirs and boarding- they have as much reason as us to expect hostility, if not more. We'll send out a small group on a rowboat to make contact. I'll be on that boat, as will a few of my most trusted friends and crew. I wanted to see if any of you gentlemen would be willing to come with us, being nonessential to the functions of the ship herself."

SuperCracker
2014-05-05, 09:43 PM
Aeryn

Well, Aeryn himself isn’t a town guard. He’s strictly freelance, as it happens. And he definitely doesn’t trust the scary-looking ship with the scary-looking flag and the people on board with scary-looking chitin. But he does lower his weapon down.

“You’d better hope you can draw quickly, then.”

He sheaths it for now. The captain speaks of his plan to bring a diplomatic party out towards the boat. So that when we get attacked, we do so with less men. Of course! Still, Aeryn’s cynicism is outweighed by not wanting to be the one to start a war.

“I’ll come along with you, and so will my friend here,” he puts Tynos on the spot, “Won’t you?”

AngryCyc
2014-05-06, 06:06 AM
"Yes, I for one would like a closer look at these fellows. I'll be coming." He moves over to the smaller rowboat, ready to go play nice with these new arrivals, and hoping that everyone else coming has the same intention.

Calinero
2014-05-06, 02:01 PM
Tynos

Tynos shakes his head and laughs at being put on the spot. "Of course I'll come," he says, shouldering his bow. "And I'm not planning on shooting anyone--I just want to be ready, just in case. Besides...I'm not pointing it at them, or anything." He shrugs. He s a wizard--honestly, he should be just as scary to them standing there unarmed as he was with a bow. The bow was to make him feel better, more than anything else. Regardless, there's no way that he is passing up the chance to be there in person for the first meeting of a new ship--especially if they might be in need of someone to help them establish trade.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-06, 02:55 PM
Vaerin feels the boat rocking under him, considers the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet a new species (even if they did look dangerous), and decides that maybe concentrating on this illusion wasn't the best idea. He mentally directs the illusory soldiers to come over to the captain, stand for a couple seconds, and then head belowdecks. As soon as they go out of sight, Vaerin dismisses the illusion, nods at the captain, and says "I'll go as well. Even if they are hostile, I'd rather help you then wait back here." If Vaerin could distinguish himself in the negotiations here, it could mean new trade routes, new goods, new ships, all under his command. If they want to kill him, that would be a different story, but one has to take risks to gain anything.

Plerumque
2014-05-06, 07:51 PM
The captain nods, waits a few moments, and orders the boat to be slowed and stilled. With a nervous glance over his shoulder at the insect crew, who appear to be watching the Waterspout with interest, he calls the sailors and volunteers together, save for those who can't leave their posts. "We don't know the intentions of this strange ship," he begins. "It could be that they wish to make war on us- although I doubt they would have given the advantage of surprise up so freely if that was their intent. It could be they want to trade, or simply wish to announce their presence. They could be seeking our aid. Regardless, we do not wish to make them fear us, or invoke their ire. Our ship will be remaining a safe distance away while a party of diplomats leaves to try and determine their intent. If it looks like a lost cause, if they attack us, you are to sail back to shore and warn the others. Who will go with me on this mission?" Hands go up, and Gascon selects three more. Gesturing to the volunteers as well as his recruits, he brings them to the back of the boat, where a rowboat is being lowered into the water. "Four of you, take an oar," he says after everyone's onboard, the boat being freed from the ship and beginning to float out. "We have to make it there first."

SuperCracker
2014-05-07, 07:00 PM
Aeryn

The oars needed rowing and Aeryn has strong arms. He’s not above some manual labor for the sake of adventure! No. He will single-handedly show up all the other oar-rowers. Thus he will gain gl--- Okay. Maybe not glory, but they’ll get there quicker.

“Aye aye, Captain!” He says before hopping into the rowboat and taking an oar. As soon as they floated out, he began to row. For a spellcaster, he’s got some arms on him!

Calinero
2014-05-08, 10:51 AM
Tynos

Tynos grimaces. He's not so great at the...rowing thing. But still, he wants to get there. He picks up an oar and starts to help row, hoping that he can at least manage not to be an active drag on the boat.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-08, 11:01 AM
Vaerin stifles a sigh. He has, technically speaking, held an oar before, but usually the physical labor is left to other people. That other guy looks like he knows what he's doing, so Vaerin takes a seat on the same side of the boat and tries to do what he does.

AngryCyc
2014-05-10, 08:11 AM
Being startled a bit upon realizing everyone is waiting on him, Eydan says"OH, are we... are we wating on me? Sorry I was a bit lost in thought... someone else can grab an oar right? I'm entering a Focused Trance to know more about these creatures once we get closer to them..." His eyes gloss over a bit as he begins focusing all his mind on more details about these creatures as he gets closer to them...

FOcused Trance will take [roll0] rounds. So. Yeah. Plan is to make a knowledge check once they're close enough that I can actually see more details.

Plerumque
2014-05-10, 06:54 PM
The boat is tossed back and forth by the choppy seas, but reaches the black ship in a few minutes. From the deck above, the tones of low buzzing can be heard, pausing and starting again. The crewmen begin to look around nervously, but soon after a rope is lowered. With only a moment's hesitation, the captain begins to scale it, and the other recruits follow him.

Up close, the creatures are slow-moving and lumbering, resembling apes, except that instead of fur they have chitinous plates. Antenna sprout from their insectile heads, and their eyes are compound and mirrored, reflecting thousands of twisted images back on the viewer but revealing nothing about the creature itself. Their arms reach almost to the floor before terminating in overlarge claws, and razored pincers project almost a foot out from their face.

As the team emerges one by one over the side of the deck, they notice immediately that the insects have made a half-circle around their point of entry, looming bodies gleaming brightly in the sun. One points off towards the ship and emits a low, angry humming noise, followed by an outburst of shrill chittering. The captain, realizing that most of the attention is focused on him, looks around helplessly.

Dungeoneering and Planes would be the applicable knowledges here, or History but it won't give you much if you don't know what they are first.

SuperCracker
2014-05-11, 12:16 AM
Aeryn

Aeryn climbed the rope along with the rest of the party, and stood out in front of the less sturdy-looking of his current companions. He didn’t draw his blade, but knowing what he knew about creatures like these, he definitely wanted to. Still, these creatures didn’t appear to be mere lumbering monsters. They were attempting to communicate.

“These creatures are Umber Hulks. They didn’t come from this world, not originally. Most of them have a set of eyes above the insectoid eyes. The second set of eyes can attack the mind and drive men mad. That said, these Umber Hulks don’t appear to have those eyes.”

He looked at the Captain, making a guess from the way the Umber Hulk was angrily pointing at the ship.

“Captain, I would suggest showing a peaceful posture.”

Plerumque
2014-05-11, 09:35 AM
The captain nods warily. "True enough. We mean you no harm," he says to the umber hulk, unbuckling the sheath of his cutlass and letting it fall to the deck with a clatter. "What do you want?"" He waits for a moment, then flinches back as a word forms in the mind of every passenger at once. ~Memories.~

AngryCyc
2014-05-11, 11:06 AM
"Err..." Eydan starts, "Are you intending to take us or anyone else with you against our will by any chance..?"

Plerumque
2014-05-11, 11:26 AM
~Away? No. We are... here already. Need memories. Knowledge. Of here. This place.~ the voice repeats insistently. ~Slaves already.~

AngryCyc
2014-05-11, 11:38 AM
"...... Do you have full awareness that each one of us is a rational, thinking being with independent motives and desires... And that we exist with moral and ethical codes that require us to fight to protect others from any form of harm... Including "enslavement"?" Eydan says a bit more confidently and strongly. "We have peaceful means of sharing knowledge though if that is what you seek. I'm sure we could benefit eachother with our cultures' accumulated wealth of knowledge."

SuperCracker
2014-05-11, 01:02 PM
Aeryn

Call him paranoid, but when Umber Hulks are enslaved, it speaks to something or someone far worse. Whose might enslaved this hulking race? And what do they want knowledge of this place for? Aeryn could only guess it was for nefarious purposes. See who we are. See if we’re worth attacking. Find out what our weaknesses are.

“Who are your masters and why do they want this knowledge? What keeps strong beings like yourselves as slaves?”

Plerumque
2014-05-11, 01:11 PM
~You do not understand.~ The voice pauses, and a few moments later the umber hulks withdraw, creating a safe distance. A few of the crew breathe an audible sigh of relief. Almost immediately, though, a man emerges from belowdeck. He has dark skin and close-cropped hair, and walks with assurance even though his eyes are concealed by a blindfold. "Good afternoon," he says with an easy smile. "I have been sent to parley with you on behalf of my... employer. I apologize if we may have gotten off on the wrong foot. If I may put your fears to rest, I will assure you that we have no intent of taking you prisoner or otherwise harming you."

SuperCracker
2014-05-11, 01:16 PM
Aeryn

This appeared to be an answer to his question. This man’s employers, that is. Aeryn’s bright eyes watched the man carefully, even as Aeryn himself walked up to stand beside the Captain, just in case any attempts would be made on his life or freedom. Aeryn listens to what the dark-skinned man had to say, and then asked a question of his own.

“Yet we know this is a ship crewed by enslaved sentient creatures. You'll understand if I'm not put at ease."

Plerumque
2014-05-11, 01:52 PM
The man spreads his hands. "I would not call them enslaved. You can check their eyes, check their minds. They have no enchantment laid upon them. They want, mind and body, to be working for us. And they are treated most excellently- why would they not wish to continue? It is much better than they could have in their native lands. This generation does not even remember its horrors. Would you not want that for your children, had you come from such a terrible place?" He sounds genuinely curious.

AngryCyc
2014-05-11, 01:56 PM
"We value choice and free will, even if it's but an illusion of choice."

Plerumque
2014-05-11, 05:06 PM
"And yet for a race that values free will so highly, slavery- whether by name or not- is a part of your past as much as our present," the man comments. "Still, I was not sent here for the purpose of engaging in an ethical argument. Why did you come here?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-11, 05:13 PM
Aeryn

“To find out who you are, who you raise your flag for, and what you want. Ultimately, any decisions that will be made will be made by those higher on the totem pole than us. But at the same time… we’re the ones here. So let’s talk. You said you came to parley. What are you seeking here?”

He’s suspicious, he’s wearing it on his face – he was never too good at hiding what he was thinking. At the same time, he’s not ready to draw steel or anything. May as well hear this man out before escalating the argument too far.

Plerumque
2014-05-11, 08:33 PM
"Present on this ship are these hulks, myself, and my master, and we bear the flag of our nation. We serve as a scout ship, gathering information for our kind. Things have changed in our long absence. All we wish to know is what these things are. We hope to trade, knowledge for knowledge. I suspect that it is to your advantage that you indulge us." He smiles beatifically.

AngryCyc
2014-05-11, 08:46 PM
With a light cough, Eydan offers a bit more: "Yes... well. I think that as far as knowledge goes you'll find me most useful. We do happen to still have memory of what I imagine to be your reference. Legends, mainly... of insect-like men sailing silver seas and capturing innocent people.

Maybe we can... clear up some of our discrepancies in knowledge back on the shores. If your master would want to accompany us to the docks we could probably work somethings out. Preferably without all these... others."

SuperCracker
2014-05-11, 09:12 PM
Aeryn

He looked at Eydan, understanding what the man was trying to do. But Aeryn was unwilling to let the obvious questions go unanswered, at least at the moment. He looked to the smiling man in front of him.

“Well, the first knowledge we should trade is who we are. My name is Aeryn Kane and the city you are looking at is Daltane. That is who I am and where I am from. Now yourself. Who are you and from where did you come? I’d also like to inquire about your master’s identity.”

Time to see if he’d at least respond to some tit for tat.

Calinero
2014-05-13, 07:22 AM
Tynos

Tynos watches and listens, frowning. This man is far too smooth and calculated for his taste...it seems suspicious.

"I agree that we should know more about your master's identity," says Tynos. "In fact, why is he not up here himself? Or herself?"

Plerumque
2014-05-13, 03:02 PM
The man pauses for a moment, rocking back and forth on his heels. "I'm afraid I am not at liberty to arrange a meeting on land. However, if you prefer you are welcome to arrange a meeting on this vessel with those more capable of making decisions for your city. However, as you so ably pointed out, you are here now, and we would be remiss in letting you go without taking advantage of the opportunity that offers."

He turns to Aeryn. "Well, if that is the kind of game you wish to play, I will not deny it to you. You may call me by the name of Astalus, and I originally come from the nation of Razaril. As for my master's identity, that is fine, but if this is the game you want to play by rights you should tell me of your own governor first. Is that not the fair way to do it?" His eyeless expression remains unchanged.

SuperCracker
2014-05-13, 03:18 PM
Aeryn

He nodded, offering a smile although he was still very guarded at this point. Aeryn was straightforward with his answers and with his questions. He believed that if he attempted to outfox this representative, he would fail miserably.

“Well met, Astalus. Now we’re getting somewhere. The governor of Daltane is _____________.”

I don’t remember, but I’m sure my character would. I’ll edit it in when you correct me. >.>

He wasn’t so rude as to ask the master question again. He was sure that Razaril would put forth his answer in turn. So Aeryn pushed the subject as a whole a little farther.

“Where does your master hail from? And how far away are those lands from where we are now?”

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-13, 03:48 PM
Vaerin suddenly realizes he's missed the entire conversation. How could I have been so stupid? I was so busy imagining how I was going to make a name for myself, I missed my chance to actually do it! It looks like that Aeryn guy's got this covered- I could try to butt in now, but I don't think it would go too well. I could try to talk to that creepy Astalus guy alone after everyone else leaves, but then I'd be stuck on this ship with no inconspicuous way to get back to shore. Maybe I'll just volunteer to set up a meeting with Duke Konmarch. That should get me in everyone's good graces... right?

Vaerin steps forward and introduces himself. "I think I could arrange a meeting. My name is Vaerin Sciath, and I'm an officer in the city guard. If you can ensure that no harm will come to the Duke, I'm sure I could convince him to come out and talk to you. If it's knowledge you're after, I could also arrange for some manuscripts from the city's various libraries to be sent over. Would that interest you?"

Diplomacy check, if necessary: [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-05-13, 08:04 PM
"My master? Perhaps you had best ask the sylph, who seems so well-versed in ancient lore. Regardless, I can assure you that it is far from this place. It could perhaps be considered the farthest." He smiles enigmatically and turns to answer Vaerin. "We do not intend to remain here long, and find that in any case written work is inferior to that that people can give us. A meeting with your Duke would be acceptable, but I doubt he would be willing to come, and in any case we would have no assurances that he would come in peace. Taking advantage of the accumulated knowledge of you eight should be satisfactory, yes?" He looks kindly down at the captain and other crewmembers, who have remained silent.

SuperCracker
2014-05-13, 09:59 PM
Aeryn

“I wasn’t asking the sylph. I was asking you. You see, my new friend, you’re asking to peek inside of our minds. That is the ultimate in being forthcoming. But yet I struggle to get clear answers from you. I don’t speak for these others, but the answer for myself is going to have to be no.”

Aeryn hopes the others follow his lead, but he wasn’t sure. The shady nature of this entire discussion put him ill at ease. Slaves. Hiding who was really in charge here. Being unwilling to speak freely about who they are. It all smelled rotten. Giving them what they wanted didn’t seem like a good idea.

He particularly didn’t like the idea of them probing the minds of the guardsmen.

Calinero
2014-05-14, 03:28 AM
As the others continue to discuss a meeting, Tynos frowns--something about the exact words that "Astalus" used was a little...threatening.

"And what," he interjects, "Do you mean by 'taking advantage' of our memories?" He glances over at the umber-hulk things, a terrible suspicion growing in his mind. "You don't intend to let us leave, do you?"

Plerumque
2014-05-14, 06:28 AM
The man sighs. "It seems declarations of our goodwill are insufficient to overcome your mistrust. Thus, let me assure you that we have, in the very least, no intent to make an enemy of your city, nor do we wish to be pursued by your own fine ship, or open ourselves to its dangers. If you must know my master's origin in such plain terms-" he allows himself a little chuckle "he hails from what you know as the Astral Plane. As do these umber hulks, although their race is much more recently arrived. Furthermore, I can tell you that if we had the intention of stealing your memories, we would have already done so. We desire knowledge, and how we attain it is of no object."

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-14, 06:58 AM
Vaerin looks from Astalus and the huge group of umber hulks to his compatriots. "I, for one, think he's telling the truth. Look at all of these." Vaerin gestures to indicate the dozens of umber hulks surrounding the party. ""If Astalus wanted us subdued, there's no way we'd be able to fight back." He then reluctantly turns to Astalus. "You said you wanted knowledge and didn't care how you got it. Personally, I'd rather help you and do it peacefully than find out what the alternative is."

AngryCyc
2014-05-14, 08:07 AM
After much careful consideration, Eydan speaks up once more. "I will be willing to trade knowledge with you. I believe the risks of doing so do not outweigh the possible benefits. You will find that my ability to tap into the most long-lost knowledge is nearly depleted for the day. But I will share what I do know with you, if you do the same. Particularly, I am interested in what you remember these lands to be like... who lived here before, how they lived, what sort of lifestyles they had. Planar knowledge, of course, will also be quite useful to us... as will anything of the magical nature. If you even have the same gods as us, religions and all that comes with the deities.

I can teach you much about our city, the natural world on pretty much this entire continent, and all manner of information on our citizens and the way we act, think, and believe."

Plerumque
2014-05-14, 04:49 PM
Astalus nods slowly. "This is agreeable to us. However, my master says that he would prefer to complete this exchange face-to-face, rather than through an intermediary. He invites all of you belowdecks, provided that you first signal the ship waiting for you that everything is as it should be. We would not wish that they misinterpret our intent, would we?" He smiles a tight-lipped little smile.

SuperCracker
2014-05-14, 04:56 PM
Aeryn

He gave Eydan and Vaerin looks of ‘Are you serious,’ especially when Astalus beckoned them underneath the decks of this ship. Because the master couldn't just come right out. No, something was horribly wrong here. Once they leave sight of the ship, these people/creatures could do whatever they wanted to the group and no one would know until it was too late.

“I will once again have to decline, and I think the rest of you should as well.”

He looked right at the Captain, for one. He seemed like an appropriately cautious man.

AngryCyc
2014-05-14, 05:07 PM
"We could signal to our ship that all is well, assuming that we return up at regular intervals to give continued 'all's well' messages. That should give us a bit more assurance that nothing will happen below decks.

This is what we came here for, no? To investigate? If not us, who? If you are too scared to join me then I hold no grudge against you... but if rational and peaceful discourse are followed, then I see no problem here. I will accompany you belowdeck, and would like to return up in 10 minutes time to signal to the ship that all is as it should be."

Plerumque
2014-05-14, 05:37 PM
"As you wish," the emissary says, shrugging. "Who will accompany this brave young man?" The captain clears his throat. "I can't say I feel good about it. Admittedly, I'd feel a lot safer if we all stayed up here on the deck. But I promised that I would see you all back safely, and if I have to go below in order to ensure that, then that's what I'll do. I will, of course, not force anyone to come with me." Two of the other crew members decline, having apparently reached the limits of their courage, but one speaks up. "I will follow my captain."

SuperCracker
2014-05-14, 05:46 PM
Aeryn

He narrowed his eyes, his pride offended by the scared comment. And dammit, if Eydan didn’t just find Aeryn’s major weakness. An adventurer can’t have people saying that he’s scared of something! To hell with caution!

“Okay, fine. I’ll go. Let’s go.”

His caution now replaced with irritated enthusiasm, Aeryn stepped to the front of the line.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-14, 06:17 PM
Vaerin looks around at the few others willing to have their minds probed. "You all look like you don't feel the same way, but I'm actually looking forward to getting this started. It should be a new experience at the very least, and I expect to learn some interesting and relevant information in exchange." Vaerin looks pointedly at Astalus. "Right?"

Plerumque
2014-05-14, 07:15 PM
Astalus nods. "I am sure. Those were the terms of the deal, were they not?"

Calinero
2014-05-15, 02:39 PM
Tynos takes a deep breath. This is a risky situation--but it's been risky since they came over to the ship. "Sure," he says. "Let's meet this master of yours."

Plerumque
2014-05-15, 08:01 PM
The two remaining crew members appear to change their mind, realizing that the majority will be belowdeck, and join the rest of the party. "Very good. I believe that's everyone, then. I'll give you a moment, sir." Astalus leans back against a mast as the captain signals to the other ship. "Follow me." He takes the cramped stairs and enters the shadows below.

It takes a few moments for one's eyes to adjust to the darkness, which is near-absolute despite the dim light filtering in from above. Gradually a form becomes half-visible: massive bulk, twisted angles, serpentine curves. There is a soft thump as Astalus' body crumples to the boards. And the creature speaks: "Good afternoon," it says in Astalus' voice, a mockery of his first words to the group.

Eydan can see the creature clearly; it appears as a massive, spidery creature with an eel-like neck growing out where the spider's head would be, terminating in a reptilian snout. Its mouth is filled with needle-like teeth, curving into a predatory smile.

http://www.johnmsteele.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/AD&D/Settings/SpellJammer/Others/WldWldWst/Neogi/neogi2.jpgIt's magical darkness.

SuperCracker
2014-05-15, 08:10 PM
Aeryn

He’s the first one to go down, and is regretting the decision, though he would never give the others the pleasure of knowing so. Once his eyes, normally very well-adjusted to dim settings, open up enough to see the shadowy happenings, he’s treated to the sight of the one humanoid that was traveling on this vessel collapsing. A meat puppet.

“So now we’re at slavery and flesh-riding. There’s nothing disturbing about that at all.” The sarcasm is strong with this one.

Aeryn can’t make out the details of the creature, but it’s certainly not human. It’s big. It’s psionic. He’s willing to bet it’s evil, too.

“I take it you don’t enjoy light very much. Or just don’t want us getting a good look at you.” He knows that the darkness is the result of magic.

AngryCyc
2014-05-15, 08:19 PM
"heh... Hah. Heeheeheeheeheehee..! I wouldn't worry about any lights fellas, I uh...I think you all would prefer to remain in the dark about this one. ... Haa. Fuuuu-.. Eydan ends his maniacal laughter with a curse that drifted into uncomfortable silence. His heart thumps furiously in his chest.

Plerumque
2014-05-15, 08:38 PM
"Quite. I find that first impressions are so often everything, don't you?" asks the creature, dropping Astalus' accent but keeping the cultured manner. "And thus far, I must confess that I have made the one I wish to. But I grow bored with posturing. I think perhaps it is time to discuss why exactly you are here, would you not agree?" it asks. "Or perhaps it would be more useful to explain why we are."

SuperCracker
2014-05-15, 10:12 PM
Aeryn

It wasn’t even trying to hide its sinister nature anymore. Aeryn was on edge, and he met that edge with further sarcasm. He wasn’t sure if everyone in this room could kill that creature, much less the Umber Hulks above.

“Yes, tell us your evil plans.”

He looked at where he thought the creature’s head was. Though that may have been a growth of some sort. Aberrations are strange like that.

Plerumque
2014-05-16, 06:42 AM
"Have no fear, gentlemen, I still do not intend to harm as much as a hair on your dainty heads. And it was not all lies- information would still be useful, if you had any you wished to trade. But the real reason that I allowed you to come this far is simple: I need someone to act as my messenger."

Calinero
2014-05-16, 06:47 AM
Tynos grimaces as the thing speaks to them--he wasn't sure what he had expected, but this wasn't quite it. He looks over at the fallen body Astalus. "After we saw how well you treated your last instrument?" he says, nodding towards the body. "Is he even alive?" Shaking his head, he tried to regain his focus. "And what message would we even be carrying?"

Plerumque
2014-05-16, 07:41 AM
"I would not take commad of your mind as I did to Astaus here; that would not make my point. And if you check him, you'll find he is perfectly healthy. He was simply left in a state of mild shock at my sudden withdrawal. In fact, he should be able to be roused quite easily. You can ask him yourself. I suppose you won't trust me not to take him back over, but removing the blindfold should serve well enough." A hairy, arachnid leg reaches from the shadows and makes a gesture.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-16, 09:22 AM
Vaerin glares at the creature. Well, he looks for the creature's face, fails, and winds up glaring into the darkness in the general direction of its voice. "You admit lying to us, but you still say you want a messenger? Not only have you given us reason not to trust you, but there is a very important question which is now lacking an answer: what's in it for me? You've promised not to hurt us, not that that means much anyway, so what reason do I have not to walk (or run) away right now?"

Plerumque
2014-05-16, 04:03 PM
"Ah, yes, humans. How I've missed you," the creature sighs. "Well, I am sure a suitable recompense could be found if you completed the task to our satisfaction. It is no great matter. What would you consider fair?"

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-16, 06:13 PM
Vaerin sighs right back at it. "Well, I can't say what's fair if I don't know what the task is, now, can I? Why don't you tell us a little more about what you want us to do, and I'm sure we could come to an agreement."

Again, diplomacy, if necessary: [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-05-16, 09:45 PM
"Of course." The creature shifts, and places two legs together in a pantomime of fingers being steepled. "I wish for you to carry the following message to your Duke: Surrender. That is all you have to do. I assure you that he will know what it means. Now, you have something you wish to discuss with Astalus about my poor treatment of employees?" As if on cue (and quite possibly so), the man lets out a groan.

SuperCracker
2014-05-16, 10:23 PM
Aeryn

The humanoid man began to groan, showing some signs of life. Aeryn, possibly foolishly, stepped over to him and knelt down to help shoulder the man to his feet. He wasn’t sure if this man was a willing pawn, but Aeryn couldn’t envision those who would willingly submit to being ridden by this thing.

“Are you alright?” Aeryn said to him quietly, being sure to stand between the newly conscious man and the creature.

Aeryn turned his gaze towards the shadowy monster. He didn't have the strength to stop this creature. But, by Cayden, he made a vow right now that he would. He'd slay this monster himself, one day.

AngryCyc
2014-05-16, 10:23 PM
With audible hurt in his voice, Eydan says a soft "..but...... what about...... but knowledge..."

Calinero
2014-05-17, 09:25 AM
Tynos blinks. It seems that his compatriots had odd concerns at a time like this. "You want us to tell the Duke to surrender? 'He'll know what it means'? No offense, but I'm pretty sure all of us know what that means. Are you going to declare war on our city?" Tynos tenses--he's been on edge ever since going below decks, and now the creature finally seems to be making its hostile intent clear...even if it doesn't seem to be attacking them just yet.

Plerumque
2014-05-17, 10:13 AM
The monster turns to one at a time. "You don't know who we are, or what we want. The Duke, by that time, will. Actually, by that time probably everyone will. We're not always subtle, as this conversation has undoubtedly proved. But that does not concern you yet."

To Eydan, he says, "If you wish to claim knowledge as your payment, that is your right, although it is surely something of a rarer commodity than gold."

And Astalus says in a soft voice, "Get away..." The monster hurries to interject, "What he means to say is that he is perfectly healthy and you can check his body for wounds. Which, like the Umber Hulks, is far more than he would have gotten had I never taken him under my wing. Why do humans never appreciate what I do for them?" he asks. "I don't need an answer to that."

AngryCyc
2014-05-17, 10:57 AM
"But why does there have to be surrender at all? Why can't this just be two cultures, meeting... Exchanging ideas and goods, and mutually benefitting each other? Why must it be conflict at all?" Eydan has fully regained his composure. He even takes several steps forward to speak directly in front of the being... His voice rising in strong cadence with each question.

Plerumque
2014-05-17, 11:35 AM
The creature shifts in a way that might be intended to imitate a shrug. "It's not my responsibility to make those decisions. But I understand the drive is to reclaim what was ours originally. We were here first, to put it in a more juvenile manner. While I am not nearly old enough to remember those times, our leaders are bitter at humanity's encroachment. They want their home back, and they want to remake it as it was, or as it should have been. Would your Duke, your king, really willingly submit to that? We offer them a peaceful solution, and if they deny it to us, conflict will be inevitable in one form or another." Its voice is silky, persuasive. "We will try to minimize loss of life, I assure you." It sighs, almost mournfully. "Besides which, it is not in our nature to share, to live and let live. I assure you, I am one of the most open of our kind that you are likely to ever meet. We are spiders, true to our appearance: weaving webs of deception and trickery so intricate even we don't know where they begin and end. To attempt to strip oneself from that fundamental part of our nature is simply not possible. Even me telling you all this, it could merely be a larger part of some lie, truths within lies within larger truths and greater lies, subtlety within forthrightness within subtlety. Even I could not so easily tell you what my true motives are, and compared to many of my kind my web is only beginning to be spun."

AngryCyc
2014-05-17, 11:45 AM
"Right. Well. I think we may have reach our time allotment, and we should probably return above deck lest our ship assume something bad has happened to us. This has been... Informative."

Plerumque
2014-05-17, 12:34 PM
"Indeed. Savor it," the creature says simply. "Consider it payment for your task, perhaps. We may not meet again. Astalus, escort our guests to the exit, please." The man stands up muzzily and unsteadily treads the steps to the outside.

SuperCracker
2014-05-17, 12:39 PM
Aeryn

Showing a courage that could prove to be suicidal, Aeryn snaps at the creature when it interrupts Astalus. “I wasn’t asking you! Let the man speak for himself.”

His eyes were glaring at the creature in the darkness. They sought to drive us out of our home. And they wouldn’t stop with that. They would try to enslave us. Conquer us wherever we might flee from them. They were some evil, long forgotten, that had to be dealt with.

Aeryn helped Astalus as they made their way up the steps. Once they were out of the chamber with the creature, Aeryn whispered to him.

“You can jump into the boat with us. We can get you away from him.”

Plerumque
2014-05-17, 02:01 PM
"I am sorry, but I cannot," Astalus says, a mournful expression on his veiled face. "You see." He pulls the blindfold off of his face and drops the scrap of cloth to the deck, blinking in the sudden light. His eyes are a milky white, without pupil or iris. "It is too late for me. It is not too late for you. Flee this land, find a place far away, where you can escape their clutches. Promise me." He clutches blindly for Aeryn's hand.

SuperCracker
2014-05-17, 02:25 PM
Aeryn

The half-elf looks upon the blinded man with sorrow. He took the man’s hand. That sorrow quickly transformed into purpose. To Aeryn, adventuring had long been an idea. Exploration, wanderlust, fun. He’d never encountered real evil. Now he knows what happens when the bad guys win.

“It’s never too late. You and those like you will be free.”

At this point, it didn’t matter what the Duke said. If he wanted to surrender, then he could. Aeryn was determined to fight. Fight like his father had those years ago. He clutched the man’s hand more tightly.

“My name is Aeryn Kane. We will meet again.”

Calinero
2014-05-18, 08:46 AM
Tynos gulps as Aeryn speaks--the man is clearly more comfortable playing the hero than Tynos is. "I agree, we should get out of here," he says quietly, never taking his eyes off of the spider. He is tempted to attack now, but the thing never would have invited them inside if it were weak enough for them to pose a threat. Besides, there had to be other ships laying in wait. Killing this one would only be a stall. They had to get back to the city. "We must inform the Duke--though I doubt he will surrender so easily."

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-18, 06:24 PM
Bah. Heroism. There's no need for that crap, but if he wants to play the part, good for him. Me, I'm getting out of here. "Well, big-evil-spider-thing, sorry we couldn't come to an agreement", Vaerin says. "But me, I kind of like being alive and in one piece and able to see," -he steps towards the stairs back up- "so, to that end," -he takes another step- "goodBYE." Vaerin breaks into a run and climbs back up to the deck as quickly as he can.

Plerumque
2014-05-18, 07:21 PM
The captain appears to come out of the state of shock that he has been inhabiting. "Yes, of course. Inform the Duke" he says numbly, waving to the crew and walking over to the boat. "Let's get out of this goddamned place."

AngryCyc
2014-05-18, 07:51 PM
As everyone starts to hurry out, Eydan gives a last glance at the creature and asks "What is your name?"

Plerumque
2014-05-19, 03:10 PM
The creature pauses. "Haven't I given you enough already? If you need refer to me for whatever reason, call me Sjach." He says the false name with a trace of arrogance: the Draconic word for shadow.

SuperCracker
2014-05-19, 03:14 PM
Aeryn

He reluctantly boards the boat without the blind man. But he won’t forget the sight of him right now. He doesn’t talk about the fact that they cannot surrender. He hopes that by seeing what they’ve seen that they already know that.

“Captain, get us to shore as soon as you can. We don’t have any time to lose.”

Plerumque
2014-05-19, 04:15 PM
"Yes," he says wearily, taking up a place at the oars himself. In a few minutes the boat pulls up alongside the Waterspout and a rope is let down. As soon as the intrepid explorers are back on board, the crew begins swarming around them, asking questions. The captain waves them away. "Back to shore," he says, terse. "Someone else can explain."

SuperCracker
2014-05-19, 04:17 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn quietly speaks to the Captain and the others who had come aboard the boat. “I don’t think we should speak about what happened, lest we cause a panic in the city. We should speak to the Duke before anything else. Do you agree, Captain?”

Plerumque
2014-05-19, 05:09 PM
"It might be too late," the captain says under his breath, looking out at the dock. By now the chaos seems to have taken structure, and people are gathering at the edges, awaiting the return of the ship. "Besides, if we go through there and don't give them an answer they'll rip us to pieces. Or, worse, send another ship out. I'm not sure what the right answer is, to be honest. Haven't since we began this idiocy."

AngryCyc
2014-05-19, 05:20 PM
"Diplomatic relations. With a new nation. Contact should be restricted to prevent accidental offense and to lessen he chance of relations going sour.

That should be the story. It's true. It's the important details. And it saves us trouble."

Plerumque
2014-05-19, 05:43 PM
"Makes sense," says the captain. "Someone else should do the talking, though. And I'd not lie to my crew, unless you deem it absolutely neccessary." He sighs, seeming old and world-weary despite his young age.

Calinero
2014-05-20, 08:02 AM
Tynos frowns. "Five minutes off the ship and we're already letting everything get...twisty." He sighs. "This is not the sort of meeting I was hoping we'd have with the ship. But I agree that we don't want to cause a panic, at least not until we know what's going on." He looks at the others curiously. "Do any of you have a reliable way to get to see the Baron quickly? I suppose we could just say we bear a message from the ship, but I've never personally met the Baron before. Also, if anyone else would rather do the talking, I think that might be best..." he says, trailing off.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-20, 11:09 AM
Vaerin looks at Eydan during his explanation, then says to the captain "I'll break the news." Finally, something I can do right. He pulls up a crate and stands on top of it to address the crew. He stands until the crew becomes expectantly silent, then casts "Ghost Sound" to make sure everyone on the ship can hear the announcement. We have made first contact... with an unknown foreign nation. We have established diplomatic relations, and we will now return to meet with Governor Komarch. Other contact, for now, should be avoided until further negotiations. Thank you. Let's head back to shore."

Should I even bother rolling a diplomacy check? [roll0]

Plerumque
2014-05-22, 07:58 PM
The crewmembers grumble for more information but go about their tasks, content to wait until the boat gets back to shore. It docks in a few minutes more, and the captain hops easily from deck to boardwalk, the surfaces almost level. Immediately, he is attacked with a barrage of questions, and as he shrinks under the unexpected cascade he gestures helplessly for the liars to come help him. "We need to see the Duke," he repeats. "Why?" people demand, outraged that the captain seems to be withholding information.

AngryCyc
2014-05-22, 08:51 PM
"Because believe it or not, it's more important that actual authorities learn about major diplomatic events... Rather than waste time explaining it to citizens who have no need to know the information before anyone else. But by all means, if you believe that it's more important for you to ask questions that you can learn the answers to later... Then please. Keep wasting our time and prevent the Duke from learning what he desperately needs to know." Eydan says with a scathing tone and dirty glare... His body language strong as he pushes he way through anyone in front of him.

Plerumque
2014-05-22, 09:42 PM
The crowd mutters and parts, leaving the captain, a relieved expression on his face, to lead the way. "The Duke's probably in his tower," one person offers helpfully. "At least, I haven't heard of anywhere else he might be today. You need a guide?" The captain turns and glares, and the spokesman withers back into the crowd.

SuperCracker
2014-05-22, 10:05 PM
Aeryn

Since lying to people isn’t exactly Aeryn’s strong suit, he simply whistles to himself as he strolls off of the plank and through the crowd, acting as if he didn’t hear what they were asking at all. Yeah, it did mean he kinda threw the Captain under the bus, but Aeryn knew his limits!

A helpful member of the crowd offers to help the group get to the tower.

“Yes!” Aeryn says, turning around and pointing at him, completely revealing (probably to the chagrin of some of the agitators) that he was engaging in selective listening. Aeryn grinned and pointed ahead.

“Lead on, good man. Spare no shortcut.”

Calinero
2014-05-23, 05:17 AM
Tynos

Tynos shakes his head, but follows Aeryn and the guide. "Aeryn," he says, "Should you really be so....confident, about all this? I mean...shouldn't we be kind of terrified right now?"

SuperCracker
2014-05-23, 05:27 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn continued walking along, but leaned towards Tynos as he did so, speaking out of the corner of his mouth. “As I see it, we have two choices. Soldier on or curl up in a ball and cry. I prefer the former.”

Plerumque
2014-05-23, 08:54 PM
"Fine," the captain grumbles. "If you really think you're going to have trouble finding it. I'm going to go find the admiral and bring him up to date. I'll meet you at the tower." He vanishes into the crowd, brooking no argument.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-23, 09:33 PM
Head held high, Vaerin walks alongside Aeryn as the group proceeds to meet the duke. Unlike all the others, Vaerin isn't faking his proud expression. Instead of trying to hide his fear, Vaerin is trying to figure out how best to work both sides of the conflict. "So if these spider-beings win... maybe I could work for them? It would probably be more like slavery, if they let any of us humans live. Maybe I could get a better deal by selling out the city here, but I don't know if I want to do that. I do, after all, have family here. And friends. Sort of. Betraying them would be "wrong", right? Riiight.

Stay focused, Vaerin. You can't let them know what you're planning. I might not even go through with it. Let's just meet with the Duke and see how that goes.

SuperCracker
2014-05-23, 11:22 PM
Aeryn

Oh, he’s scared alright. But he’s not outright faking his bravado. If anything, Aeryn is thinking about how much he’d like to stomp a bunch of evil spider-people.

Together with the others, he swiftly makes his way through the city. He doesn’t pause for anything. They needed to speak to the Duke, and then Aeryn needed to speak with his parents. They had some experience in world-changing affairs.

On a side note… ask the Duke for some gold. Gold is good. Gold buys things like better armor.

Plerumque
2014-05-24, 10:35 PM
The tower is easy to find, as one of the highest buildings in the city. It is a magnificent piece of stonework, with elaborate carvings winding their way around its outside and niches where, instead of gargoyles, small statues of all the major gods reside. By all accounts Duke Konmarch is a pious man. Outside the entrance, a well-dressed half-elf leans against the wall. "I'm afraid the Duke is receiving no visitors at the moment," he says. "I am not to let anyone in except for a few specific individuals. If you would like to make an appointment to see him at a later time, you are welcome to, although you'll need to talk to someone else."

SuperCracker
2014-05-25, 01:53 AM
Aeryn

As they reached the tower, the half-elf man attempted to indirectly stand in their way. Aeryn is not deterred by doormen! “The menacing ship in the harbor with the spider motif says that we’re right on that list. Excuse me, thank you.”

Aeryn doesn’t even slow down his steps as he goes for the door, ignoring the half-elf’s calls to stop.

AngryCyc
2014-05-25, 07:16 AM
"Yep, I'm afraid 'state of emergency' trumps those orders. He needs to see us immediately."

Calinero
2014-05-25, 09:44 AM
Tynos

Tynos stares at his companions who keep on walking, looks at the guard, shrugs helplessly, and follows after them.

"Sorry about this!" he calls back. "We have a really good reason, though!"

Plerumque
2014-05-25, 03:11 PM
The stairs lead up to a round antechamber, at the end of which is a locked door, oaken and solid. The doorman follows, unhurried, footsteps clacking deliberately on the stairs. "I said he's not receiving visitors right now. If he agrees that he needs to see you, I will escort you up."

AngryCyc
2014-05-25, 04:25 PM
Eydan walks up to the door and starts pounding on it. "DUKE!" he yells as he pounds, "war has been declared and you are ordered to surrender! I THINK YOU MIGHT NEED TO SEE US NOW."

Plerumque
2014-05-26, 02:38 PM
"He can't hear you," the doorman says, unruffled. "Please wait for a moment." He exits back down the stairs and returns in a few minutes. "The Duke will see you now. Please make sure to remember your manners." He crosses the room to the door and inserts a key, opening it to reveal another flight of stairs. "Good luck."

Calinero
2014-05-27, 04:40 AM
Tynos sighs a bit as his companions continue to try and barge past the doorman--who remains remarkably unruffled throughout all of this.

"Sorry," he mouths to the doorman as they make their way to the Duke. "And thanks!"

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-27, 08:17 AM
Vaerin decides to stay back while the rest of the party deals with the guard. May as well let them deal with the Duke's underlings. And after all that shouting Eydan did, I'd rather that guard not see me front and center. However, now that we're going to actually see the duke, I think it's time to take the lead. I still can't believe he tried to stop us at the door.

Vaerin strides up the stairs and slams open the doors to the duke's chamber. "Duke Komarch! What are you doing. We just met with a HOSTILE vessel from an UNKNOWN nation, and you're sitting here having your DOORMAN tell us off?" He pauses and takes a deep breath to calm himself down. "That ship- the one in the harbor, with the spider on its flag- is the vanguard of a very powerful and very dangerous fleet. It was captained by a monster, a huge aberration, and it has a very simple message it wanted us to pass on. Surrender. If you meet with it now, you might be able to avert disaster, but if not, we could be looking at an all-out war."

He pauses for a moment to look around at the faces of the party, the duke, and any dignitaries the duke might have been meeting with. "Sir, with all due respect, we are not equipped to repel an armada the likes of which we saw on that ship. We have two options: we can try to muster an army, fight to the death, and hope we survive, or surrender, flee, and hope they are content to raze the city. I don't want to see it in their hands, if that monster's limbs can even be described as hands, but I'd rather that than die fighting just to lose it anyway. Sir, I am afraid I have to recommend surrender."

Plerumque
2014-05-28, 04:27 PM
The Duke is pacing behind a long desk when the party bursts in. Behind him, a series of detailed maps are mounted on the wall, and books are stacked in the corners of the room. Despite this clutter, the surface of the desk, inlaid with patterns of silver, is remarkably neat. All that it holds is a single sheet of paper, that seems to contain the words of a letter. Opposite the massive desk is arranged a semicircle of five well-padded chairs, one of which is occupied by a tired man wearing expensive clothes. The Duke himself is a solidly built with some forty years of age scribed on his face, a bald spot gleaming at the top of his head, wearing more informal clothing but with a dagger's sheath at his hip.

"First: I do not speak for my manservant's actions. I assure you that he could not have known the urgency of your task, and he has been instructed to keep everyone from this place, especially with the current situation. But I suppose that's hardly your most important grievance." He stops pacing and slams himself down on his chair, gesturing to the seats across from him. "Make yourself comfortable, as much as you can. You say that all of you went out to meet with this ship?" The guide answers haltingly in the negative and is buffeted from the room and back down the stairs by the displeasure on the Duke's face. Once he's gone, the Duke speaks again. "I am currently discussing with the ambassador from the noble city of Kyrel a certain situation that his home finds itself in, which would appear to have some bearing on the matter you speak of." He grimaces. "But it seems, at least, that we have some time to contemplate it in a reasoned fashion. Perhaps you could repeat your story, keeping that in mind? We need as much information on this 'aberration' you speak of and their motives as you can muster. And then... well, then we will have to decide whether to, to surrender." There's a hitch in his voice, the first visible sign of a crack in his stoic exterior.

SuperCracker
2014-05-28, 04:39 PM
Aeryn

He resisting making the sound of “Harrumph” as he passed the doorman. They were allowed into the room, where they stood and then Vaerin started to just go into full-on appeasement mode! Aeryn’s eyes widened.

"Absolutely not,” he said, unafraid to offend at this point.

He walked towards the Duke and relayed it the way he saw it. Granted, he would most likely be not as persuasive or eloquent as Vaerin, but someone had to speak for not simply giving up.

“They told us little to nothing. This is a race of spider-like aberrations that have enslaved a sub-race of Umber Hulks and I believe at least one nation of humans, as well. They use powers of the mind and can control human thralls. They were unwilling to speak much of themselves, except to claim that our land once belonged to them. I believe that if we surrender to them, they won’t stop. They’ll claim further territory, and they’ll try to claim us. This is a race of slavers, a race that controls the mind. They view us as chattel. If we flee, they’ll come for more. We have to prepare ourselves.”

He looks at the letter on the desk, then back at the Duke.

“Has Kyrel been approached the same way?”

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-29, 10:05 AM
Instead of continuing to speak out of turn, Vaerin turns towards the ambassador from Kyrel to wait for a response.

Plerumque
2014-05-29, 07:53 PM
The Duke raises his eyebrows and turns towards the ambassador as well, who begins to speak in a halting fashion, fidgeting with the gilt edges of his costume. "Not exactly. You see... well, I'll start from the beginning. The first indication we had that anything was out of the ordinary was a few days ago. A few members of our Council- the body that runs our humble state, elects our representatives and so on- began behaving somewhat strangely. Not anything overt, but they seemed to be forgetting even the simplest things, and started behaving a bit erratically. Visiting bars and taverns when it was known they didn't drink or gamble, purchasing things they didn't want and throwing out things they once loved, and so on. There were three that were acting like this, and since they seemed to be displaying similar symptoms, a brief investigation ensued to see if there was anything that was wrong. It was found that all three of these councillors had been involved in facilitating the transport of some medicines and other goods to a plague ship that had remained outside our harbor for about a day before sailing back out. Now, of course, I see the similarities to your story." The ambassador bares his teeth in a grim smile, and then continues.

"However, before we could investigate the matter further, we councillors were confronted by a group consisting of the people in question along with a few more common folk. Some of them had weapons. I can see it even now- their eyes were filmed over with white, as if they saw nothing of what was before them." He shivers, setting off a faint jingling of his accoutrements. "Together, they repeated 'Surrender,' over and over. We thought they meant just to their little warband, although I see now there's a much more sinister element. Then, they all collapsed, sudden as if someone flicked a switch- save for one. He stalked right up to me, gave me a little sneer, as if I was below him although he was only a commoner, and spoke. Daltane, he said. Go there, and listen well. And, well, here I am." He gestures, helpless. "I would wager that our two cities have not been the only to be approached in this manner, though. If they're really planning an invasion, and really want our entire nation to just surrender to them, then they'll want everyone to know about it. We were just the closest. I do wonder why they're so outright about their abilities, though. Were I planning to level an attack on Auroth- not that I am, of course- I would go for the surprise attack. That they've taken the opposite route would seem to say something very ominous about the force they command."

AngryCyc
2014-05-29, 08:02 PM
"Or merely about their confidence... Eydan starts."They said they had not been here for so long it's possible they have no idea how they would compare to us in combat. Just a thought to keep in mind. They DO seem quite scary. But. We could also give ourselves the illusion of tremendous strength if we walked up to a nation who had never even heard of creatures like us before."

Plerumque
2014-05-29, 08:23 PM
"They're clearly not infallible," Duke Konmarch muses. "And it sounds like they can't hide whatever mind tricks they work well enough to go unnoticed for long. But they don't have to be invincible to still grind us into the dust, and it seems like folly to make a decision without knowing anything more about their limits. But this may be what we have to work with, unless you're right and emissaries from other cities might come with more information. I expect the King himself will get involved- you sent someone to him, I assume?" The ambassador nods. "Did these creatures give a time limit on their offer of surrender?" he asks, turning to the group again.

AngryCyc
2014-05-29, 08:28 PM
Eydan accidentally laughs just a little. "Give me a day in a library, and I'll come back with all the information you'll need about these things."

SuperCracker
2014-05-29, 09:08 PM
Aeryn

He frowned as he listened to the stories. They could control their thralls from farther away than being on the same ship. It meant they could throw use innocent people as their own weapons. Monsters.

“No. They did not give any hard limit that I recall. But we can’t delay for a moment.”

Remembering that he never actually introduced himself, Aeryn bows to the Duke.

“My lord, I am Aeryn Kane. If you need someone to explore or fight, those are things I can do for you."

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-29, 10:11 PM
Vaerin stutters and tries to recover from the same mistake. "And my name is Vaerin Sciath. My talents are more oriented towards-" He almost says "diplomacy", but then remembers his entrance and decides that wouldn't be the best idea "-negotiations. If you do not wish to meet aboard their ship for fear of harm, then I would be honored to go in your stead."

"It is troubling that Kyrel was approached as well. If they can control minds so easily, it would be strange for them to only approach two cities. We can probably assume other coastal city-states have come under the same type of attack as well. But, for that matter, if they can control the minds of politicians... Duke Komarch? Ambassador? How do we know that you're not under their control as well?" Vaerin finishes his question slowly and takes a step back, looking between the Duke and the Ambassador.

AngryCyc
2014-05-29, 11:17 PM
"For the same reason they shouldn't expect that WE are under their control as well..." snaps Eydan. "Frightful as this is, paranoia won't help much. Duke, I'm sure you've heard of me but in case you do not know, I am Eydan from the guard and frankly, I do not believe that we should worry that anyone is under their control unless we start seeing people behaving strangely or much differently than normal."

SuperCracker
2014-05-30, 12:29 AM
Aeryn

"Besides, their eyes aren't milky-white. Seems to be a big hint," the half-elf remarks.

Plerumque
2014-05-30, 03:40 PM
"The manipulated councillors didn't have the eyes either, at least at first," the ambassador says. "I'm not sure why that is, however. Perhaps it's only if they're being directly commanded, or something like that? But still, we shouldn't resort to paranoia. With what we know of them so far, which I admit is lamentably little, it sounds like they wouldn't want to harm or control us directly." "You make a good point," the Duke interjects. "We hardly know anything from what you've told us, so gathering more information should be our topmost priority. If you can do that, Eydan, we should try that before making any rash decisions. And in any case, it seems likely that more information will arrive shortly from other cities, if they were told to come here as well. I have a device that can be used to transmit messages as well, although it can take some time to use. So perhaps for the time being what we should do is wait. I can try and contact some other cities, you can do some work according to your particular talents- research on these beings, preparing our citizens for the possible attack, going back out to the ship and trying to negotiate for more time to make a decision- and in the meantime we can see if more people keep trickling in. It seems like the biggest question is how much time we have." He directs it to no one in particular, but leaves the problem hanging in the air.

AttilaTheGeek
2014-05-31, 08:28 AM
Why would they not want to harm us? Either they want to avoid bloodshed on moral grounds- unlikely- or they want to do something with us after they take over. What could they want to do with subjugated natives? Rule them and make us work? Oh, gods, we'd be slaves. They wouldn't even need to use their mind control if they've got those umber hulks to keep us in line. That's... horrifying.

Vaerin hesitantly responds to the duke's request. "Sir, I- I would be equipped to go back out to their ship and try to negotiate for more time. However, I would really rather not go alone, and I don't know if they would try to make me into one of their thralls. If they were to take over my mind and you couldn't tell, the results could be disastrous. I could, instead, try to speak to the population here- warn them, let them know what's going on, and try to keep them under control. Doing so would, I think, be safer, and though the public doesn't need to know immediately, we do need to tell them what's going on sooner or later. Sir, what do you suggest I do?"

AngryCyc
2014-05-31, 09:48 AM
"I believe we should wait at least until tomorrow to head back out. Surely they'd at least understand we'd need even THAT much time. Then, tomorrow morning, send someone out to them saying that as we are not the sole deciders of surrender, and since there are other areas being given the same message, that we are waiting until those people have a chance to come also make the decision... at which point, they will hold a formal meeting to reach a conclusion. That is the only way to insure that total surrender is met across all lands targeted. It's sound and logical, and gives us the time that we need."

Plerumque
2014-05-31, 11:20 AM
"If they're still there by then," notes the ambassador. "I wouldn't be surprised if they sailed off having delivered their message, like they did with us. They might be intending to take you by surprise later. But I suppose that gives you more time at least." He gives a jangling shrug.

"Your proposal makes sense, either way," the Duke says. "We can all take measures depending on our respective talents. I advise that your first order of business, after researching these creatures, should be preparing the townsfolk. Try not to panic them, of course- it sounds like you can do that, Mr. Sciath. If you can get out word, I can hold an assembly and answer some questions, but for now information is our priority. Return here tomorrow morning, as early as is practical. Is there anything else?" He rises.

SuperCracker
2014-06-01, 04:43 PM
Aeryn

“I’ll go speak to my father. I suspect he’ll be a greater trainer than I. Until you have some sort of mission for me, I suppose I’ll find some way to occupy myself.”

Plerumque
2014-06-01, 06:12 PM
"Well, just make sure that only a few people know the truth, at least until I or another figure of greater authority can placate them. But if that's all, then I shall get to my own task." He leans down and unlocks a drawer of his desk, withdrawing a small stone cube with letters etched on the sides.

AngryCyc
2014-06-01, 06:43 PM
"Alright. Thanks. I'll go get to work." Eydan leaves quite unceremoniously with a nod to everyone else... Heading off to the library to start researching as much lore as he can gather.

SuperCracker
2014-06-02, 01:08 AM
Aeryn

Well, Aeryn was out of the door quickly. He had things to do… chiefly, to figure out exactly what he was going to do. The first place he headed to was a local blacksmith. A friend of the family, Aeryn believed he could help prepare the city’s troops in one manner while helping himself at the same time.

Aeryn entered the smithy and smiled, greeting the man behind the counter, an old dwarf who produced sturdy wares. Baelan Stonefist was his name.

“Master Stonefist! If I could have a moment. I have something to talk to you about.”

Calinero
2014-06-02, 08:02 AM
Tynos

For most of the conversation, Tynos is completely silent--not for lack of things to say, but for fear of execution. By the time the Duke asks them if there is anything else, Tynos has finally come to believe that--somehow--they are not going to be punished for bursting into the Duke's private chambers and shouting at him unannounced.

"I am Tynos Riller," says Tynos, giving a bow to the Duke. "We have not met, but my family served yours for several generations as merchants until recent times. I believe that sending us to negotiate again would be very risky--they needed us to return alive to bring their message to you this time. If they choose not to negotiate, there is no reason for them to allow us to return to you alive and free of their control. I believe our talents are better served here, preparing our defense." He glances at the others, who seem to have already found tasks for themselves. "You speak of your own task...may I ask what that is?" he says, nodding at the cube.

Plerumque
2014-06-03, 06:00 PM
"Do what you feel is best, then," the Duke answers. "As for my own task, this is a particular artifact that lets me establish communications with a number of others who also hold a cube. Each side is keyed to another link in the chain. It takes a fair time to use, though, and I'm not always guaranteed contact. As a result, I may be here for quite a while trying to get more information." He smiles, but there is no humor in it. "So I suppose I'd better get started." At this clear dismissal, the manservant appears and whisks the four back downstairs.

"Ah, the valiant hero returns," Stonefist says without a hint of irony in his voice, looking up from an account book. "Of course you know I'll help you however you need. What is it that's bothering you, Kane?"

SuperCracker
2014-06-03, 06:37 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn turns towards the door to the smithy and closes it up tightly. He then turned back towards Stonefist and approached the old dwarf. Aeryn was doing his best to be cheerful, though his news was admittedly not the best.

“You and my pop go back a long way. And we go back to.. well… the beginning of me, I suppose. I got my first sword from your shop, a little Halfling blade that my pop keeps in a case. We’re friends, and that’s why I come to you.”

A small awkward moment as Aeryn thinks of what to say next.

“There’s no graceful way to put this, so here goes. You know the ship with the spider flag that sailed into the harbor? Well, I went on board that ship not too long ago. And I found out that it’s a messenger ship from a race of bizarre psychic spider-like aberrations that enslave both man and monster and are now determined to seize our city and the other cities of our kingdom.”

He was out of breath, so he sucked one in.

“Well, after speaking with the Duke himself, we seem to have two options. Run like screaming damsels or try to put up a fight. I think there’s a more than fair chance of putting up a fight. And that’s where you come in.”

Aeryn lifted his finger, a bit of a roguish grin.

“Get your forges working, because the city will need to purchase weapons and armor.. and lots of each. You can help the war effort and line your pockets at the same time.”

Plerumque
2014-06-03, 06:45 PM
The dwarf raises his bushy eyebrows. "It's true that I've known your family since your father moved here, and don't think I wouldn't know if you were having a jest at my expense, but Aeryn, I can't believe you're serious. What ship? What aberrations? I've heard nothing- you must know that I don't get updates on the hour from the docks, here in my humble little shop. Start from the beginning- business has been slow here lately, you won't have to worry about that. Although if what you say is true, that may not be the case for long."

SuperCracker
2014-06-03, 06:57 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn nodded, having caught his breath now from his previous speedy monologue. “Right, from the beginning. I accepted a request this morning to find a lucky fishing pole…” Aeryn then relays, in a much more calm manner, everything that happened up until now. Umber Hulks, psionic control of the humanoid man, the monstrous shadow of the creature belowdecks. Aeryn tells him about what is happening with the ambassador that came, and that what this meant was that this could be a very widespread situation.

“All said,” he begins to conclude at the end of the tale, “the choices are to flee and let them come after us again in the future, or go to war. I don’t see our leaders being so cowardly as to just pack up and go. So what we should be doing is training a fighting force, something Pop can do very well, and equipping that force properly – something only a fine Dwarven smith can do.”

Plerumque
2014-06-03, 09:02 PM
Stonefist remains silent for a moment then exhales. "Well." He thinks it over for another minute and adds an extensive string of expletives in the guttural Dwarven language. "I've been here for a hundred years, and I thought I would die here- but not so soon. And whatever might have come, I never guessed it would be this." He stares out into space again, fingers drumming on the tabletop. "All right, I'll do as you ask. Stoke up the forge, bring back out the stockpiles. But I ask you this: if neccessary, save yourself."

SuperCracker
2014-06-03, 09:18 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn doesn’t directly address the old dwarf’s plea for Aeryn to save himself. Whether it’s because Aeryn can’t promise such a thing or if he doesn’t want to contemplate a scenario where that would be necessary. Instead, he brings his hand down upon the table with a bang, a smile on his face.

“You’re not going to die, here or anywhere else, for a few more centuries, and neither am I. Buuut,” he says, now thinking about something rather important, “it might be best if I had something better to wear than this. You know… something made of metal.”

Plerumque
2014-06-04, 09:10 PM
"I have something as that'll fit you," says the dwarf, scanning Aeryn, "and you know I'd be happy to give it to you, but first you'll have to make me that promise, Aeryn Kane. Promise me you won't try and go make a martyr of yourself with my labor on your back."

SuperCracker
2014-06-04, 09:32 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn could be many things. He could be brash, he could be naïve, even a bit careless at times. But when he was sincere, those around him knew it. Now was one of those times. Aeryn’s smile faded as he was cornered about the promise. It didn’t vanish, he didn’t frown… but his smile was much softer than before.

“I promise. If I know I can’t win, I’ll find another way. I won’t just throw my life away.”

Then his face lit up and he was back at it.

“Besides, martyrdom isn’t my style. Martyrs don’t get the girl at the end of the story.”

Plerumque
2014-06-05, 06:48 AM
"Depends which theology you subscribe to," Stonefist says, but he's smiling too. "Now then, you prefer lighter armors, yes? I don't suppose I could convince you into something that offers a bit more protection?"

SuperCracker
2014-06-07, 11:28 AM
Aeryn Kane

“I suppose you’re right…” Aeryn looked up at he thought. “I guess my theology would definitely have some women around. But let’s go for the live ones, first.”

As for the choice of armor. “I’m still trying to get the hang of casting spells in heavier armor. I’m not quite there yet, though. So chainmail should suffice – unless you happen to have a bunch of mithril around.” He gave an impish grin.

Plerumque
2014-06-07, 10:22 PM
Stonefist vanishes through a door behind the counter and returns a few minutes later with a chain shirt slung over his burly shoulder. "Will this suffice, then?" he asks, handing it to Aeryn.

Calinero
2014-06-09, 09:20 AM
Tynos

Tynos will says his farewells to the Duke, and--after making his apologies once again to the doorman on the way out--will set immediately home.

Once home, he writes a letter to several of the most important and influential members of the Arcanist's League, entreating them (with all the appropriate flowery language) to call together a meeting of the League as soon as is possible in order to discuss potential service to the city. Then, he will go to personally call upon Corinne, using whatever etiquette is appropriate to her station.

SuperCracker
2014-06-10, 11:11 AM
Aeryn

Aeryn’s eyes lit up at the metal armor he was given. Metal armor. He felt like he had finally moved up into the big leagues. Aeryn calmly (not really, he’s terribly excited) walked over to the old dwarf and picked the chain shirt up, holding it out in front of him.

“Absolutely! You’re the best! A moment, please.”

Aeryn took off into the backroom, and moments later (one would wonder how he could move so fast), he emerged with the chain shirt on, a few embellishments taken from his old gear. A strapped-on shoulderguard on his right shoulder, adorned with elven inscriptions, and a few other various trinkets. It fit him well.

“Yes. This will work quite nicely. Thank you so much, Master Stonefist.”

Plerumque
2014-06-10, 05:53 PM
Tynos

Corinne doesn't insist on formality like many of the others of her station, and doesn't flaunt her ability, however you believe it to manifest. She lives in a pleasant cottage by a cliff far from the port, and hardly in the city at all. It's at least an hour's journey there, and few are willing to make the pilgrimage to see the famed madwoman, unless their need is truly great. Tynos can charter a carriage or borrow a horse and get there relatively soon, however. As Corinne's house comes into view, he sees she is sitting out front and looking out towards the ocean, from which the roll and boom of the waves is audible. Corinne herself is a young woman, not beautiful but in fact rather plain, yet with a poise and purpose to her movements that seems to obviate the need for it. As Tynos draws up, she turns and looks at him, then stands up and gestures him forward. "Won't you come in?" she says.

Aeryn

Baelan Stonefist gives a satisfied half-smile, reaching out and adjusting the armor slightly. "Good. I'll be ready for whoever you send me, lad, and we'll see if I don't have a few surprises up my own sleeve as well. Pay my regards to your papa, and if I don't see you again before this whole crazy mess breaks, then just remember your promise." He grins, nevertheless with a tinge of sadness, and ushers Aeryn out of the shop.

SuperCracker
2014-06-11, 12:30 AM
Aeryn

“Well, if the Duke listens to me, then I’ll send you more than you can possibly arm and armor.” He gives the dwarf a clap on the shoulder, since dwarves aren’t the most touchy-feely of peoples. Then he’s off, headed directly to his parents’ home.

----
The door swung open as Aeryn came inside, chainmail armor and all.

“Nana,” (Elven shortening of naneth for mother) he called out as he shut the door and walked in. “Pop! I need to talk to you. It’s fairly urgent.”

Calinero
2014-06-11, 07:33 AM
Tynos

Tynos is briefly surprised to see her already outside, but then supposes that it is rather silly to be surprised as a diviner being prepared. He gives a polite bow to Corinne.

Only so long as it's no inconvenience to you," he says before following her inside. "Should I assume that you already know why I am here?"

Plerumque
2014-06-11, 05:38 PM
Aeryn

Aeryn's parents drop what they're doing immediately and come join him in the antechamber. "What is it, siel?" asks his mother, as Aeryn's father's gaze locks on the new armor. "You finally earned enough for the armor? How? That looks like Stonefist's work... Explain what you're talking about, son." A frown tugs on the corner of his lips.

Tynos

"Not exactly. The future is hard to read, you know. Constantly in flux, changing, the threads of possible outcomes blurring and tangling with every action. I sensed that someone's coming was one of the likelier outcomes, and so I awaited your coming. And the sea looks so pretty today. Your purpose is still unclear to me, however, so perhaps you could elaborate?" Corinne vanishes into the house and returns carrying another chair. "Perhaps we could sit outside. I haven't tired of it yet, and surely this is something of a rare opportunity for you city folk."

SuperCracker
2014-06-11, 07:13 PM
Aeryn

“Well, he gave it to me,” which would sound odd. Chain doesn’t exactly come cheap.

Aeryn gestures for his parents to sit down, and he sits himself down upon an ottoman, looking across at them. He took a breath and just starts.

“Well, I was down at the docks today when…”

He tells them the story the same way he had told Master Stonefist. In fact, Aeryn had repeated this story twice already, so this third time showed that he was practiced at it. As he finishes he looked between his parents.

“I know you both did a lot before you settled down. And we’re all going to need that. I was thinking, Pop, that you can start training militia-men. Master Stonefist had his forge working to arm and armor as many as he can. Nana, I think now might be the time for me to look through your spellbooks. Mine's still.. well.. mostly empty.”

Calinero
2014-06-12, 06:43 AM
Tynos

Tynos grins. "Well, I suppose I could brave the harsh rays of the sun for a little while. Thank you."

Tynos sits down and turns to face Corinne. "As lovely as the sea is, I'm afraid this is not a purely social visit. A strange ship appears near the docks today, and I was one of the party that went investigate it. What we found..." He grimaces. "We don't want the information to spread widely, but we believe the ship has hostile intentions. I wanted to know if you have seen any...portents, or visions, or whatever it is you see, that could tell us anything about the upcoming conflict."

Plerumque
2014-06-12, 08:25 PM
Aeryn

"Did the Duke say that's all right?" asks Aeryn's father. "I suppose it's better than nothing, but from your description it sounds like traditional methods might be useless against whatever these creatures can bring to bear. And if a peaceful solution can somehow be reached, there'd be no point in working the population up and instilling fear in them. Perhaps prudence would be valuable here?" He spreads his hands in a placating gesture. "I agree with your father. For what you ask of me, you can look through my spellbook if you wish, but I don't have the reagents it takes to scribe any spells. And it seems like searching them out might not be the most productive way to spend your time at the moment." Auriel puts her chin in her hands.

Tynos

Corinne sits bolt upright. "What? A ship?" she demands. "Say it again." Not waiting for Tynos to reiterate, she begins mumbling to herself A few seconds later, she looks back up, a grimace on her face. "I don't... I can't... I didn't see anything about a ship, or a conflict. You're sure this actually happened? I should be able to see it in at least one thread, and yet in none can I distinguish anything that might possibly relate to what you're talking about. This is bad, very bad. I don't have blind spots."

SuperCracker
2014-06-12, 11:37 PM
Aeryn

He blinked as he heard what his parents said. Aeryn shook his head. “I don’t think there is a peaceful solution, short of giving them our entire nation. And they won’t be satisfied with that, Pop. These creatures are evil. They seek out slaves. And if we have no home, nowhere to be safe, they’ll come for us all one day. Pop, you used to fight bad guys like this, what kind of prudence are you talking about?”

Calinero
2014-06-13, 06:56 AM
Tynos

Tynos shifts a bit uncomfortably at the amount of distress he has clearly put Corinne in.

"I'm sorry," he says, "But I was there earlier today. Unless it was some sort of grand illusion that affected everyone at the docks, I believe it to have actually occurred. Similar events have apparently happened at other cities too." He continues, trying to comfort her. "Perhaps they are simply counterspelling...whatever it is you are doing," he says. "Everything has a counter somewhere."

Plerumque
2014-06-13, 11:13 PM
Aeryn

Garret shakes his head. "I suppose you'll think me an awful hypocrite. But... things have changed, son. I know you've heard stories, and I've done my part to encourage it, but I can't go gallivanting off at every opportunity for heroism nowadays. Only some of them," he says with a rueful smile. "But you can't blame me for wanting to see if some solution can be found before uprooting our family and risking all our necks along with that of every person in Daltane. Still, if you say there won't be, I trust you. The trouble is in how to tell the people." He sighs, rubbing his face.

Tynos

"That shouldn't work, though..." Corinne takes a moment to compose herself. "I am very sorry. I'm not used to being surprised. Of course I'll do whatever I can to help, though I don't know how much use I'll be if they a way to counter my prescience." A sad smile curves her lips.

Calinero
2014-06-14, 08:25 PM
Tynos

Tynos shakes his head forcefully. "Please, don't apologize on my account! By telling us they have a way to counter your powers, you have already helped our efforts more than anything I've done." He grins ruefully. "I'm afraid I was rather useless at the meeting itself. However, I think there might still be ways you can contribute. They seem to have masked their own presence, but surely there is no way they can mask the presence of a war. Perhaps you could direct your prescience to the more...indirect effects of a war. For example, look to the amount of shipments coming in and out of the city, or to the barracks where soldiers are housed. Even if these being can masks themselves, surely there must a limit to how far the ripples to their magic spread?"

Plerumque
2014-06-14, 08:56 PM
Corinne looks pensive. "I don't know what to seek, though. My limited foresight I doubt will read such occurings, but if I tried a more focused variety of magic I might be able to find something, although it would be hard to look for specifics. Or I could try and avoid running up against whatever filter they have entirely and go directly to the source, as it were, but if I try that there's a chance that the contact could render me useless for spellcasting. Of course I am happy to assist in whatever capacity the city needs me, but there are certain risks if I try that route. Then again, it may be our only chance to get reliable information, so..." She raises one shoulder in a halfhearted shrug.

Calinero
2014-06-15, 08:41 AM
Tynos

Tynos frowns, a bit overwhelmed by the options Corinne presents. For the first time he appreciates how limited Conjuration is--after all, one of the primary reasons he selected it was so that others could solve problems for him.

"I cannot tell you how best to use your magic," he says, "But I will say that you should be careful. If they are blocking your talents specifically, it is possible they know of you. Anything too direct could make you a target--please, whatever you do, try to stay safe." He sighs and rubs at his temples--planning a war is already so much more exhausting than he anticipated. "In the meantime, I am going to attempt to spread the word to the Arcanist's League and organize some sort of effort. Would you mind helping me spread the word to the other independents? We're trying to keep this quiet to prevent a panic, but I don't want any of our magic users caught off guard if they can be of help."

Plerumque
2014-06-15, 09:16 AM
"I'm afraid I'm not too highly regarded in the magical community," she says wryly. "Still, I'll try and get the word out. Perhaps I should come back to the city with you and make a few visits?"

Calinero
2014-06-15, 11:58 AM
Tynos

Tynos gives a small bow. "I would be honored to escort you," he says. He will take Corinne back to the city with him, and then check on the progress of his attempts to gather/contact the Arcanists's League. Assuming they have not yet had time to gather, he will rendezvous with the others.

Plerumque
2014-06-17, 11:10 AM
No reply has yet been sent from the Arcanist's League. Corinne takes her leave of Tynos to go meet with some of the other independent magicians, promising to contact him as soon as she's made some progress.

If you guys don't mind, in order to restore a semblance of continuity, I'm going to say that Tynos finds Eydan easily, being at the largest library in town. Furthermore, Aeryn and Vaerin (my personal belief is that they're actually long-lost twins), both having the goal of speaking to the people, found each other again because I presume they'd try and go to approximately the same places to do that. The dock, maybe, or the podium in town square used for public announcements. Now the party's been split in two: one group will be focused on the acquisition of knowledge and alerting the spellcasters, I presume, while the other will try and get the word out?

Tynos finds Eydan in Daltane's public library, a large and elegant building owned and maintained by one of the city's rich benefactors. Neatly-organized stacks of books, manuscripts, and magical scrolls line the walls, and a few homunculi patrol on miniature walkways affixed near the ceiling, keeping a suspicious eye out for potential thieves. No other librarian is evident, as the books are not permitted to be checked out. As Tynos walks in, Eydan is seated at one of the library's desks, surrounded by tomes that seem to have been dragged out of the oldest and dustiest sections of the library and pages on end of hastily scribbled notes.

Plerumque
2014-06-24, 01:47 PM
After a brief discussion, Tynos and Eydan head out to find the others, who seem to have found each other already and are speaking to the masses, informing them of the coming danger. There seems to be a mix of reactions between terrified people, those who believe it's some sort of elaborate practical joke, and a few who seem to be refusing to form an opinion until they hear from the Duke. All back together again, business is calling.

SuperCracker
2014-06-24, 02:06 PM
Aeryn

One quibble, he wasn’t really informing the masses. More like experienced people who would know how to handle it. Allow people the time to plan.

Aeryn left the discussions with the masses to Tynos, and had instead been working his way through networks of known adventurers and people who could positively influence a war effort. Giving them advance notice was what he was most concerned with. The Duke could break the news to the people himself.

And thus he reunited with the others, eager to take the next step.

“Well, gentlemen, what now?”

Calinero
2014-06-25, 08:44 PM
Tynos

Tynos rubs at his temples, trying to beat back the headache that has been slowly gaining force over the course of the day. "Well, we've informed everyone that can do anything about the situation. Now...I guess we need to figure out what we can do. Can you think of any way to stop an invading army of mind controllers?"

SuperCracker
2014-07-12, 12:15 AM
Aeryn Kane
At Home, The Night Before the Meeting

After spending his day trying to convince those close to him not to give in to these spider-like aberrations, Aeryn walked back home to turn in for bed. He yawned as he trudged up to the door, and heard the sounds of talking from within. He paused and listened for a moment, curiosity piqued. Aeryn’s very elven ears could hear a familiar voice inside. With a big grin on his face, he swung open the door (again… he does that) and stepped right in, completely interrupting whatever conversation Alissa was having with his parents.

“Nana, Pop. Hello again. And Alissa!” Aeryn grinned an affectionate grin for the girl he grew up with. He stepped in and wrapped her up in a hug. “I’m so glad to see you right now, Alissa. I know you’re not one to stand for coward talk,” he said. This was a typical tactic he would use on her, audibly operating on the assumption she will go along with him.

“There’s an adventure to be had. Great, eight-legged evil threatens our dear city and adventurers must rise to the occasion. You simply must agree that we cannot yield to wicked psychic slaving spiders.” He gave her a firm nod.

Then a beat.

"Nice sword," he said, suddenly admiring the huge piece of metal on her back.

The Architect
2014-07-12, 12:39 AM
Alissa Quell
At Aeryn's home, The Night Before The Thing

Alissa blinked as the guy she'd been looking for for months burst into the room at nearly midnight and picked her up in a hug. Her wide eyed blinks came before any smiles then Aurelia cut in before she could "you told him already . . . ?"

Alissa shook her head without looking away, or pulling particularly far back from the hug "so he doesn't . . ." Aurelia didn't need to finish the 'know you can fight whatsoever, but still wants you to help him fight giant monsters.'

Alissa meant to tell Aeryn what happened since he left but all that came out was "thanks, you've got a nice sword too."

Aurelia gave Alissa a look that said 'you need to tell him you're a reincarnated Outsider who would have killed him as a toddler if not for having terrible memory.' It was impressive what Aurelia could convey with a look.

Alissa glance around a bit, awkwardly, before saying "there's something I should tell you ..." she gulped "... I ... I can fight now ... ? Your dad taught me, and your mom taught me some magic!"

Aurelia's disapproving scowl was nearly audible in its intensity. Alissa avoided her eyes and instead looked up into Aeryn's "actually that whole psychic monster thing seems really important, is there somewhere we should go talk or do something about it, right now?"

Hope it's okay, I grabbed a nearby NPC for a moment to help rush this entrance, as it seems to be the intent by necessity. :smallsmile:

SuperCracker
2014-07-12, 07:35 PM
Aeryn Kane
At Home, The Night Before the Meeting

She said she had something to tell him. Aeryn’s big blue eyes blinked as he waited for what she was going to say. And then she blurted out that she can fight! Well of course she can! “HEY! That’s great! I always knew you had it in you.”

Aeryn put an arm around her shoulders and stood beside her, sweeping his free hand through the air as he looked as though staring off in the distance. “Whenever you were having trouble learning magic, I knew that you’d break through one day. You just have to have the will of an adventurer.” He turned his head towards her. “And you do! So rest up for tonight. Tomorrow we go meet my new pal, the Duke!”

He grinned, taking her up the stairs towards the rooms.

"This is going to be great. Quests, gold, monsters, heroism!"

Alright. I think that's a good lead in to the meeting.

Plerumque
2014-07-12, 08:55 PM
---

The next day, early at the Duke's command, only three of the original investigators have presented themselves at the Duke's door. Vaerin Sciath seems to have vanished in the night. Whether with treachery in his heart or simple cowardice, the noble is gone, and the remnants of the party lack the time to investigate thoroughly. However, a new comrade has joined the group, Aeryn's old friend Alissa. At the door, the Duke's manservant raises an eyebrow at the seeming replacement, but makes no comment and unlocks the door. At the top of the stairs, Duke Konmarch is in the same place he was yesterday, the only difference the absence of the ambassador. "Good morning," he says, looking up from the pages of scribbled notes that now occupy his desk. "I hope we have made some progress. I have learned a few things myself, but you may explain first." He surveys the group, tilting his head. "Will Master Sciath not be joining us today? And might I ask for an explanation of your presence, madam?"

I'm assuming Aeryn would have introduced Alissa to the rest of the group, at least in brief.

Calinero
2014-07-12, 10:47 PM
Tynos clears his throat awkwardly. "I'm, ah, afraid not, Your Grace," he says. "It's possible that he has merely been delayed in his efforts. In the meantime, though, I believe we may have made some progress ourselves," he says, gesturing towards the remaining adventurers. "I myself have returned with some disturbing news from Corinne, the diviner."

Plerumque
2014-07-13, 12:19 PM
"Corinne?" The name sounds distateful in his mouth. "A loose cannon, to be sure, but an occasionally useful one. Did she have any information to share, or did she just try to convert you to her little cult?"

AngryCyc
2014-07-13, 12:25 PM
Eydan steps forward at the Duke's request, and with a smile, pops his neck and flexes his back as he readies himself for what he has prepared. A sudden intake of breath, and then he's off, talking a mile a minute in a lengthy diatribe about this new found enemy, with noticeable attention paid to certain phrases like "...Aberrations... Bonded to their slaves... Losing intelligence as they she but gaining ferocity... astral plane... And a rather god-like chap who seems to have grown more intelligent as he aged for a change!"

As he concludes what has no doubt turned into a seminar lecture, he says less factually: "Sir... I think we can hold out. This won't be a fair fight though, and we should not rely on fairness or honor to see us through. We need to be even craftier and more deceitful than they are. If we train our men to fight aberrations such as these creatures, we stand a chance. There might even be some protectors of nature and the material plane, Druids and the like, who could be of enormous assistance fighting such creatures. Rangers will be a boon as well if they are versed in fighting aberrations.

Most importantly though, I have an idea. If the allies come together and hold out in one central location, you might be able to hold off whatever main onslaught comes... And while that's happening, I propose that a small elite force infiltrates their home plane, or continent, or wherever they are situated... And sir, we bring the fight to them! Anyway we can. Disrupt their supply lines, free their slaves, heck I even wager if we kill their god, we'd have more of chance than if we do nothing else..."

Though less academic, his last plan is spoken more from his heart than from his brain, and has a very heroic and noble air to it, as if it were his duty to life as he knows it to suggest such a brash and ridiculous plan.

SuperCracker
2014-07-13, 12:44 PM
Aeryn Kane

He had given the others a very brief introduction outside of the doors. He was saving the more impressive intro for the presence of the Duke. Rule number 1 of adventuring – be sure to talk up the entire party in situations like these, especially when it’s your best friend. Aeryn makes a sudden, sweeping gesture back towards Alissa.

“My lord, this is Alissa Quell. She is my fellow adventurer. Trained underneath my esteemed mother and father, she will be an excellent – and non-cowardly – addition to our team here.”

That said, he had no idea what, exactly, Alissa could do. But he had faith in her, effortlessly believing that she would contribute to the team.

After his introduction came the oracle, who began to speak on oracle things. Aeryn knew he had been jest as well off dealing with other matters than research. This one apparently had that covered with ease.

“I like the idea, but it’s unlikely that they will fight us at just one place. They are seeking to overthrow many kingdoms and many peoples. But I do think it’s a good idea, perhaps find each kingdom’s most fortified place. As for allies, I’ve been thinking. Perhaps we should seek out every one we can without exception. These spider-creatures, they want this land. They do not intend to share it. Why not seek powerful creatures that, like us, stand to lose?”

Calinero
2014-07-14, 11:11 AM
Tynos forces a smile, a bit surprised at the Duke's apparent dislike of Corinne. "No, Your Grace, she didn't try to recruit me--but she was surprised by the news of a ship on the horizon. It seems that the enemy has some sort of defenses against her divinations, which implies some level of magical expertise."

He nods to Alissa as she is introduced--they had not had a chance to really talk before this. He hopes she knows what she is in for here.

"I'm not sure I feel confident in offering overall strategic advice," he says uncomfortably, glancing at Aeryn and Eydan, "But I am attempting to marshall the Arcanist's League so they will be prepared to assist in whatever course of action you decide."

The Architect
2014-07-14, 03:40 PM
Alissa Quell

At the mention of her Alissa bows her head slightly to the Duke in due respect "as Aeryn mentioned I am Alissa, I am here to assist Aeryn in whatever duty he is beholden to perform, out of a debt due to his parents of guidance and protection," Alissa was laying on the formality a little thick but as a former saleswoman of a sort she had enough experience with nobility to know it couldn't hurt.

Alissa, as has been the pattern nearly since her birth, backs up Aeryn "I think Aeryn's right. Our weakness is that if we situated in one location to weather an assault we turn our strategy towards a single aim, holding a single location. A layered location yes, first the outer walls, then falling back excetera, but it is largely preparing for a single protracted battle. One we might not win. An extended conflict is best won in the long run by allowing for losses on occasion. Aeryn's plan to gain allies is our best chance for victory. Any fortified location in the area firstly offers us resources and tools in allying with them and secondly offers another strategic location to divert attention from Daltane. Alliance strengthens Daltane and diverts the forces of an enemy.

Also, and possibly more significantly, powerful allies can possess powerful magics. Even something as apparently minor as a portable hole and a bag of holding can turn a battle if applied with the tenants of utilitarian magical theory. Each new ally diverts our enemies' focus, allows us greater distributable military resources and opens up new magical avenues and strategies.

Our primary concerns at this time should be assessing the resources we have access to for an active defence, the threat of our enemy and what potential powerful allies exist in the threatened regions."

As Alissa stop for breath Aeryn was pretty sure she had firstly said so much so quickly in her life, and that she had probably listened to his dad as much as his dad had hit her with training swords.

Alissa looked suddenly shy and awkward again, shrugged and half whispers "or ... ignore me your grace."

Plerumque
2014-07-26, 09:44 PM
"Well," the Duke says. "You know, I would have believed Aeryn anyway. But you make some good points. I see the four of you have been busy. I think the problem in finding allies, however, is that we do not seem to be the only target of these creatures. I have made attempts to contact four nearby cities: Metis and Corin, on the coast; Laslan, farther inland; and Sagalis, the capital. My message seems to have gone unheeded in Corin, which is ominous but not entirely unexpected. Metis was also approached, but apparently they disguised themselves as a band of pirates. It sounds like they'll have their hands full as well, from what I heard. Kyrel, too, and Corin perhaps even more so. Laslan hadn't known this was going on, but it sounds like most of their resources are devoted to resolving their current political instability. The person I contacted in Sagalis hadn't heard of anything yet, but she thought the king might have. She told me she'd try to get an audience, as since she's an emissary rather than my own person, she couldn't get one immediately despite the emergency. The tangle of bureaucracy he surrounds himself with is... oh, never mind. I think the plan of seeking allies is solid, but I fear the nearby cities may have their own problems to deal with. The Arcanist's League is a solid asset, if we can get them on board. Are there any other more, ah, unconventional options?"

The Architect
2014-07-30, 11:52 PM
Alissa Quell

Alissa pauses for a moment looking confused "is there no way... we could... um... help solve their problems? I mean I'm a big sword to the skull kind of gal, but it seems if the group of us went to these cities we might have a fairer chance of turning them to our side than mere messagers. I mean are there any allies we could realistically recruit more helpful in this than city states?"

Plerumque
2014-07-31, 10:21 AM
"Well, there we run into the same problem. Do we have the resources to divert to their efforts? Is it more important that they be protected than us? Right now, you four know more about the situation than any civilian, and even if I were to send only you it might not be enough. We don't know when they will return, or in what force. Our best strategy might be to work on defenses and evacuation before seeking aid from any of the other major powers, because at least then we will know that we are in some way secure if we are asked to lend aid." The Duke taps a finger on his desk. "It is a puzzle to be sure. With as little information as we have despite our increased knowledge of our adversaries... Our situation could be likened to throwing darts in a dark room, trying to hit the target. And if we miss, thousands of lives at stake. Let us hope we all have good aim."

Calinero
2014-08-01, 08:39 AM
Tynos fidgets a bit, uncomfortable. He had assumed that the Duke would tell them what to do--it was becoming more and more apparent that their leader was as unsure of the proper course as they were. While that was frightening in the sense that they had no higher authority to look to, it also presented opportunity--the chance to take action.

"Your Grace," Tynos says carefully. "Fortifying the city and preparing for an assault should be high on your list of priorities. But that is a job primarily for builders, blacksmiths, and craftsmen, and should be something of a last resort. I don't think I need to remind you of the damage a siege could cause this city--my own family was nearly ruined by the last war." He takes a deep breath, glancing at the others. "I suggest that our talents might be more useful to you as select envoys. You have the resources and manpower here to build defenses. What we lack is information and allies. You could send us to investigate the cities that have not responded--if they are already under attack, we can at least perhaps get some forewarning on what sorts of tactics the enemy will use against us."

Plerumque
2014-08-01, 10:55 AM
"True. Very well then, you may serve as my emissaries to Corin, unless I suppose you feel like you would be of more use in Kyrel or Metis. I shall inform the militia and begin work on fortifications, and perhaps contract the services of the Arcanist's League as well. I advise you to get everything you need in order, as the city may not be here when you come back. I can provide you with fast horses and a means of communicating with me, and a purse in case you need to make bribes or purchase supplies. Is there anything else you would ask, either as an aid to completing this task or as payment for your loyal service?"

Does anyone object to this plan?

Calinero
2014-08-05, 07:54 AM
Tynos looks at the others for confirmation. "I think that going to Corin would be productive, assuming we are able to find the people we need." Looking to the Duke, he continues "Saving payment for a bit later, I do think we might need some symbol of authority if we are to accomplish anything. We need to be able to show that we act with your blessing, as well as perhaps having the authority to make some basic decisions on our own if it becomes necessary during our mission."

Plerumque
2014-08-06, 12:28 AM
"Ah, yes, of course. Give me a moment." After searching for parchment for a minute, the Duke writes a quick letter, signs it, and seals it with a blob of wax and a signet ring. "This should help you get what you need from their governor, or hopefully anyone else high enough up. It confirms that you are acting as my representatives in all matters to do with the current situation, and should be treated as such." He rummages around until he finds a scrollcase to enclose the document and hands it to Tynos. "You can always contact me if they don't believe you. My manservant downstairs can provide you with the coin and messengers, but for now is there anything else or shall we adjourn?"

Plerumque
2014-08-13, 01:54 PM
The Duke stands up. "Very well then. Be sure to contact me as soon as you discover what's the matter with Corin. We can discuss payment when you return."

Below, the doorman hands the first down the stairs a velvet bag, heavy with the weight of coinage. "Please wait just a moment," he says, and vanishes through a doorway. He returns with another bag, noticeably smaller than the other. Drawing open the strings, he pulls out a long, sleek feather. "These are magical tokens. Crush one and it will become a homing pidgeon. Tie your message around one of its feet and it will reach the Duke in less than a day. There are only four in this bag, so use them wisely. The Duke will likely use similar methods if he needs to reach you, so keep a lookout. Finally, this." He hands off the bag and holds out a scroll tied with ribbon. "A letter of credit at Meturio's Stables, enough to pay for the use of four of his best horses for a period of up to two weeks. That is all I have for you, save for all our prayers. Godspeed." He shakes the hand of each of the party members in turn before opening the door and ushering them out.

Sorry for delaying this for so long, I assumed someone else was going to post first.

Calinero
2014-08-15, 10:48 AM
Tynos accepts the Duke's tokens gratefully before exiting with the others. Turning to them, once they are safely out of the Duke's earshot, he lets out a deep breath.

"Well. I'd say we have our work cut out for us, don't we?"

Plerumque
2014-08-18, 08:56 AM
Once he sees the letter from the Duke, Meturio seems happy to provide the group with horses that he assures them are faster than the wind, as if he's anxious to be sure everything is up to standards. He saddles them, provides a quick lesson in case there's anyone not used to traveling in this fashion, and adds some feed to the saddlebags. Once done, he says, "I can bring them to the city gates in an hour or two if you have yet more to do in the city, or you can take them now. Which will it be?"

The Architect
2014-08-22, 11:54 PM
Alissa Quell

Alissa speaks up when the others seem to have other things on their minds "It's probably best we make best speed. We should probably take them now, if it's the same to you, and get moving immediately."

Plerumque
2014-08-25, 04:53 PM
Meturio shrugs. "Your choice. I wish you a safe journey." With that, he nods respectfully to the company and withdraws, walking back to his office behind the stables.

The guards at the city gate are equally subservient once the letter from the Duke is shown, not even requiring a saddlebag check. It takes only a few minutes to go through, and then the road stretches before you to the horizon.