PDA

View Full Version : Optimization gnomish quickrazors for a rokugan ninja

hoborobot
2014-04-24, 09:53 PM
i read somewhere a long time ago a person liked using gnomish quick razors with his rouge to great effect. i decided to play a rokugan ninja (starting lvl 3 whisper gnome) would they be usefull, and would i be able to equip to both hands and attack with one and while sheathing it attack with the other, or is there a better strategy?

Bickerstaff
2014-04-24, 11:07 PM
Most of the time people are using Gnomish Quickrazors, they are used in conjunction with the Iajutsu Strike skill.

Coidzor
2014-04-25, 12:10 AM
i read somewhere a long time ago a person liked using gnomish quick razors with his rouge to great effect. i decided to play a rokugan ninja (starting lvl 3 whisper gnome) would they be usefull, and would i be able to equip to both hands and attack with one and while sheathing it attack with the other, or is there a better strategy?

You may attack with as many weapons as you have iterative attacks, so if you had +11 BAB you could make a +11 attack with your greatsword, a +6 attack with your armorspikes, and follow it up with a +1 attack with your unarmed strike in the form of a headbutt. Or attack with your longsword, shieldbash, and longsword again, IIRC.

However, if you use the TWF rules, then if you had a longsword and spiked shield, you would only be able to use the shield bash as your "offhand" attack provided you did not use it with your main line of iterative attacks.

So... technically, yes, your proposed strategy seems to be rules legal to the best of my recollection.

As said, however, you want Iajutsu Focus to really get your mileage out of Gnomish Quickrazors, though they do help for sudden strike too, IIRC. Granted, IIRC, Rokugan Ninja don't get sudden strike, just sneak attack.

Shinken
2014-04-25, 01:19 PM

Please tell me you won't be actually playing in Rokugan.

Alex12
2014-04-25, 01:29 PM

Nope. We're playing in a homebrew setting of the DM. He's given us a list (a very large list) of books we can pick options from, but we're restricted to 2 books per character from that list. Rokugan Campaign setting is on that list. Spell Compendium is explicitly disallowed.
We're also allowed anything from the SRD (or otherwise from Expanded Core), PHB 2, DMG2, Cityscape, and certain elements from Complete Scoundrel (read: skill tricks). We're permitted to get items from Magic Item Compendium.

Larkas
2014-04-25, 01:39 PM

What would be the problem with that? :smallconfused: Rokugan d20 may not be THE Rokugan from the books, but its a very functional setting. Much more functional, indeed, than a couple of "main" settings.

Shinken
2014-04-25, 01:45 PM
What would be the problem with that? :smallconfused: Rokugan d20 may not be THE Rokugan from the books, but its a very functional setting. Much more functional, indeed, than a couple of "main" settings.

Gnomes in Rokugan?

Larkas
2014-04-25, 02:06 PM
Gnomes in Rokugan?

Oooooooh, that. :smallredface:

Playing the devil's advocate here, it isn't such an uncommon weapon design that it couldn't be replicated (created) by non-gnomes in worlds without them.

Alex12
2014-04-25, 02:20 PM
Oooooooh, that. :smallredface:

Playing the devil's advocate here, it isn't such an uncommon weapon design that it couldn't be replicated (created) by non-gnomes in worlds without them.

OP's race is whisper gnome.
But no, I'm playing in the same campaign, and we're not playing in Rokugan.

hoborobot
2014-04-25, 04:24 PM
its just i saw the weapon and i though, hey cool, a wrist blade that sneakily hide in your sleeves till the right moment than bam slice someone's throat.

Larkas
2014-04-25, 04:34 PM
its just i saw the weapon and i though, hey cool, a wrist blade that sneakily hide in your sleeves till the right moment than bam slice someone's throat.

And it just so happens to be one of the most optimized weapons to use with Iaijutsu Focus? :smallwink:

Coidzor
2014-04-25, 05:19 PM
And it just so happens to be one of the most optimized weapons to use with Iaijutsu Focus? :smallwink:

Serendipity! :smallamused:

Larkas
2014-04-25, 06:38 PM
Serendipity! :smallamused:

As was selecting whisper gnome as his race, I'm sure :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2014-04-25, 06:55 PM
Don't forget that according to Complete Warrior you can trade your racial weapon familiarity with the godawful hooked hammers for quickrazors.

Coidzor
2014-04-25, 08:03 PM
As was selecting whisper gnome as his race, I'm sure :smallbiggrin:

Well, what other kind of gnome is gonna wanna be a ninja? :smallamused: They already are whispering, might as well make them a sneaky character while you're at it.

Alex12
2014-04-25, 08:29 PM
Don't forget that according to Complete Warrior you can trade your racial weapon familiarity with the godawful hooked hammers for quickrazors.

He can't use Complete Warrior, because of the 2-book limit.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-25, 08:43 PM

:smallconfused: That's a bit like saying you can't use Complete Arcane to help resolve what happens when you sneak attack with spells. He wouldn't be using any resources from it, only a rules clarification.

Alex12
2014-04-25, 09:18 PM
:smallconfused: That's a bit like saying you can't use Complete Arcane to help resolve what happens when you sneak attack with spells. He wouldn't be using any resources from it, only a rules clarification.

It's an option mentioned in Complete Warrior, but not in Races of Stone, Rokugan Campaign Setting, the SRD, PHB2, DMG2, Cityscape, or Complete Scoundrel. Nobody in the party has selected CW as one of their books. Therefore, it's not an option for that player at this time.

Coidzor
2014-04-25, 09:21 PM

At least they haven't gone to the extreme of saying that if two wizards picked different books they'd never be able to share spells with one another or use scrolls they found as loot that contained spells not in their book, I suppose.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-26, 12:37 AM
It's an option mentioned in Complete Warrior, but not in Races of Stone, Rokugan Campaign Setting, the SRD, PHB2, DMG2, Cityscape, or Complete Scoundrel. Nobody in the party has selected CW as one of their books. Therefore, it's not an option for that player at this time.

Yeah, but the reason it's not in RoS is that it was published after CW. I mean, sure, they should have published it again for people that don't have CW, but it kind of assumes it.

At least they haven't gone to the extreme of saying that if two wizards picked different books they'd never be able to share spells with one another or use scrolls they found as loot that contained spells not in their book, I suppose.

That at least would be constraining a powerful class. Rokugan ninja is a rogue that can't skillmonkey.

Shinken
2014-04-26, 09:15 AM

He can't use Oriental Adventures as well, no Iaijutsu Focus.

Alex12
2014-04-26, 12:33 PM
He can't use Oriental Adventures as well, no Iaijutsu Focus.

Rokugan Campaign Setting actually does specifically mention Iaijutsu Focus.

Shinken
2014-04-26, 04:53 PM
Rokugan Campaign Setting actually does specifically mention Iaijutsu Focus.

I think you're mistaken. The book even reprints the Samurai with an expanded bonus feat list and lists a bunch of new skills (Battle is cool) but does not have Iaijutsu Focus in its new skills chapter.

Alex12
2014-04-26, 06:40 PM
I think you're mistaken. The book even reprints the Samurai with an expanded bonus feat list and lists a bunch of new skills (Battle is cool) but does not have Iaijutsu Focus in its new skills chapter.

This is true. However, among the classes it presents, Iaijutsu Focus is present. I'm not the DM, I'm not the one making the rules (believe me, I'd love if my Necropolitan Dread Necromancer had access to BoVD or Arcane Disciple), I'm just relaying them to you guys.

Dr.Gara
2014-04-26, 06:48 PM

Wouldn't that cut their face?

Alex12
2014-04-26, 06:57 PM
Wouldn't that cut their face?

Only if they don't sheathe the blades before applying makeup.