PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed NaNoWriMo Fodder

Haikumagician
2014-04-24, 10:06 PM
There is a writing contest in november. Called national novel writing month. During the month of november you are supposed to write a novel of 50 thousand words. Something I have been able to do the last two years in a row, but this year I want to do a group project. So where does dnd come in with this you sexy bastard. First of all watch your language. But what I was thinking would be a highly malleable campaign and world. So it would be me and one other person. Maybe another one or two. We all co create the world, we get a basic map, then toss in mountain ranges, rivers, deserts, jungles **** like that. Then we each go in and toss in some cities with some qualifiers like "This is a dwarven city" or "The area this city is built in was built after a fight between two very powerful sorcerers, so there are a host of magical maladies along with portals to different planes" Stuff like that. Till we have a decently detailed map. And then we build our characters. They can be whatever we want. Like seriously, whatever the hell we want. You want an azer monk, a blind sorcerer elf, or a claustraphobic dwarf. It really doesn't matter. After we have our characters then we decide on the campaign. All of this is done cooperatively except character creation. So the campaign might start simple like "The blacksmith gets his arm broken and the village our characters live in doesn't have a healer so they have to go to a metropolis to find one to heal him" And then come up with something more after we finish that adventure, Or we could come up with a full on campaign from start to finish. But the whole point I was thinking of its purely story driven. Like there isn't really rp xp or xp at all. Just when we decide our characters should level up, they do. But I was also thinking that since we are all working together, we could do more specific tweaking of our characters. Like say they spend six months underground parlaying with dwarves, one of them might learn dwarven, or pick up a skill focus on appraise when it has to deal with gems. And when we create the characters have it be something like they get plus one to jump but minus one to climb. Or just little trade outs like that. But back to the point. We would continue filling the world in with adventures, and if our characters die they don't come back to life unless its a massive part of the game. Whoever's character dies makes a new one and finds a new way to pull them into the game, and if something happens and a large amount of our characters die, we start over with new characters in a different part of the world. So by the time it hits november we have a world filled with adventures and characters and ****, so we aren't making it up, and if we all write our stories together they will weave together and intertwine.

So if you like this idea send me a message on skype. My name there is fre3bo. I don't check this website often so I might not see your response for a while.

Haikumagician
2014-04-25, 09:36 AM
Anybody interested?

Zombulian
2014-04-25, 11:28 AM
Anybody interested?

Seems interesting, but also would it be PBP or what? How exactly would the game go?

Haikumagician
2014-04-25, 07:17 PM
It would be skype/roll20. PbP could take months to just settle down on a campaign. Skype would be needed just to really talk through everything. Roll20 wouldn't really be used for all the background, and fancy lighting and stuff. Just as an easy way to explain where everybody is, and keep track of stats and what not. Also google docs like **** loads of them just so even when people aren't playing they can be fleshing out ideas or like maybe they are at home and get an idea of a new city/plane/race/anything really and start up a google doc so other people can see and work together on.

Does that make sense?

Haikumagician
2014-04-27, 07:12 AM
Seems interesting, but also would it be PBP or what? How exactly would the game go?

It would be skype/roll20. PbP could take months to just settle down on a campaign. Skype would be needed just to really talk through everything. Roll20 wouldn't really be used for all the background, and fancy lighting and stuff. Just as an easy way to explain where everybody is, and keep track of stats and what not. Also google docs like **** loads of them just so even when people aren't playing they can be fleshing out ideas or like maybe they are at home and get an idea of a new city/plane/race/anything really and start up a google doc so other people can see and work together on.

Does that make sense?