PDA

View Full Version : improvised weapon proficiency?

krossbow
2007-02-09, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if there's ever been a feat that allows a character to wield improvised weapons without taking a penalty?

I've come across many classes that let you do it, more or less (the drunken master and barroom brawler and Peasant hero prestige classes spring to mind) but most of those have various other things as well implemented;

has anyone seen an improvised weapon feat in any splat books or sourcebooks? And if not, does that sound like an overpowering feat since there wouldn't be one?

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-09, 02:54 PM
Other than the places you mentioned I haven't seen it. I would allow it as a feat with the prereq of a +1 BAB it doesn't seem over powered to me at all.

Arceliar
2007-02-09, 02:56 PM
It seems like the kind of thing a person could specialize in... so that warrants grounds to a homebrew feat to me. I would argue that as improvised weapons are inherently..improvised, they're not designed to be a weapon, then the character can wield one at a -2 penalty with a proper feat. Assuming the character is proficient with the weapon it's emulating.

Unless of course it IS in a book somewhere (if so, I haven't seen it yet) in which case just go with that.

*Edit: On second thought, maybe a -1 on attacks, since rocks are essentially improvised sling bullets and that's the mechanic they use on attack rolls... though they also have the sized-down damage thing with rocks...

oriong
2007-02-09, 02:59 PM
Heck, make it no penalty. It's not like it's a real advantage, improvised weapons do horrible damage relative to their size and of course they won't be enchanted or otherwise boosted which makes them just as useful as your fists at higher levels.

Improvised weapons are one step up from unarmed strikes, they're still not even as good as a simple weapon.

EDIT: okay, I think I was going by the old 3.0 improvised weapons list, they're still bad compared 'real' weapons but not quite so bad as I implied. I would say there's no reason not to simply allow them to be used at no penalty.