PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me round out my book collection?

Galathir
2007-02-09, 03:03 PM
I would like to purchase a few more D&D books to round out my collection. I currently have the following:

PHB
PHB II
DMG
DMG II
Complete Arcane
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords
Races of the Dragon
Dragon Magic
Manual of the Planes (3.0)
Deities and Demigods (3.0)
Monster Manual I (3.0)

I was thinking about some of the Races books, but any of your suggestions would be quite welcome.

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-09, 03:12 PM
I really like the location books I think Stormwrack and frostburn are especially good. and they can be found pretty cheap on line 15 bucks or so.

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-09, 03:13 PM
ignore this double post.

clericwithnogod
2007-02-09, 03:52 PM
Spell Compendium: All the spells in one place with some editing (along with Domains).

Heroes of Horror: I like the prestige classes, particualrly Fiend-Blooded (though the prerequisite of Knowledge:The Planes Needs fixed (lowered to 6 or something) and swapping a Fiendish Heritage feat for Blood Calls to Blood makes it meld a bit better with the Fiendish Heritage stuff in Complete Mage better. Corrupt Avenger is nice, giving those Pladins that come to their senses and drop the Goody Two-Shoes crap to focus on getting work done a little something back.

Ghostwalk: Lots of nifty stuff, but I'd consider trying to work out a No Calling, Flexible Advancement combination you're happy with. I kind of like the idea of scrapping it as a campaign setting, then taking a bunch of the rules and making the characters (and select NPCs) the only ghosts in a setting, with a series of quests to make up for past sins, right wrongs that are tying them to the world or something...

Dragon Magic and Draconomicon to go with Races of the Dragon.

Complete Scoundrel: Feats, Skill Tricks. Though skill tricks are kind of problematic, nice as they are, as it's hard to get enough skill ranks as it is.

Galathir
2007-02-09, 04:05 PM
Sorry, I forgot to put Dragon Magic on the list but I do have it. Spell Compendium has interested me for a while since I like playing arcane casters.

Are the Monster Manuals worth getting? I don't plan on DMing again for a while (schedule issues) so now I can get by on the SRD and the 3.0 MM.

pestilenceawaits
2007-02-09, 04:11 PM
Sorry, I forgot to put Dragon Magic on the list but I do have it. Spell Compendium has interested me for a while since I like playing arcane casters.

Are the Monster Manuals worth getting? I don't plan on DMing again for a while (schedule issues) so now I can get by on the SRD and the 3.0 MM.

I wouldn't worry about the monster manuals with the SRD and customization there are about a million things you can fight without them unless you really like them.

Thorodin
2007-02-09, 04:16 PM
Unearthed Arcana is my favorite book.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-09, 04:21 PM
Tome of Magic.

Matthew
2007-02-09, 05:36 PM
Complete Adventurer

prufock
2007-02-09, 05:42 PM
Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-09, 05:52 PM
Libris Mortis. Everything you wanted to know about the undead, but were afraid to ask.

Crazy_Uncle_Doug
2007-02-09, 05:52 PM
I highly recommend -

Lords of Madness
Libris Mortis
Hordes of the Abyss
Draconomicon
Tome of Magic

I found all of those added or enhanced something to gameplay.

Fat Daddy
2007-02-09, 06:05 PM
How many books are you looking to get?

If you are looking at 'Race' series books I would recommend Races of Stone I think it is worth it just for the Goliath.

Otherwise, I like
Spell Compendium (over 1000 spells plus incorporated errata in one place)
Complete Adventurer - I LOVE the scout class
Stormwrack - I'm a sucker for sea battles (both above and below)

After that it would depend on your tastes...do you like setting specific books? Do you like/use Psionics? What classes do you typically play?

Galathir
2007-02-09, 09:21 PM
I am not that interested in Psionics but ToM sounds good. I wasn't too impressed with Complete Adventurer. I prefer arcane casters and there isn't a lot in there that interested me. Races of Stone might be my next purchase.

Thanks for the suggestions!

knightsaline
2007-02-09, 10:12 PM
Round out your complete collection with Complete psionic and Complete divine. If you can afford the subscription, subscribe to Dragon magazine (unless you are the DM, in that case, get Dungeon). Dragon has LOTS of things to use and every second issue, gives fluffy parts about the gods. when they are not doing that section that month, they do Demons and Devils. Now all I need to do is locate the one about everyones favorite sun god, pelor. our freindly neighborhood Giant publishes OotS comics that are not shown in this site (dragons have 3 words that mean "swarm of puffins" according to the giant)

I am in no way connected to Dragon magazine. just making that clear

Marius
2007-02-10, 11:29 AM
Expanded Psionics Handbook! Should have been the 4th book you bought.

HealthKit
2007-02-11, 01:35 AM
Races of Stone might be my next purchase.

If you've got the money I recommend buying all three (Stone plus Wild and Destiny) collected. It could save you a couple bucks and learn how to flesh out all the races instead of just three at a time.

PinkysBrain
2007-02-11, 01:46 AM
Dunno about getting all the completes. Complete Adventurer is a shoe in, but complete divine ain't all that hot especially if you get the spell compendium. Complete psionic is a mess.

Of the races books I'd skip races of destiny.

Draconomicon is good.