PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Psion DnD 3.0 help

Chaos018
2014-04-25, 11:37 AM
As the title says, I need help with my PC. It is for a game where the end result will more than likely going up against the gods themselves. I was designated the "healer" of the group. The restrictions were that there were to be no divine classes at all in the group, i.e. druids, clerics, paladins, etc., as well as setting specific classes such as my fave class, the artificer. I did not want to use the Healer class as it is useless outside one area, so I chose the psion, specifically the psychometabolism discipline, as it was recommended to me from a friend. Problem is that my DM does not like what 3.5 did to psions and as such, uses 3.0 rules for them. What I would love is simply advice on how to pick the appropriate psionic combat stuff as well as progressing him to epic levels. My experience in planning progression is nil to negative, so any help is really appreciated. All books are usable, with GM permission. I wanted something that was some sort of crowd control with a little healing in there somewhere. Heck, if the main stat ability for a egoist in 3.0 is any indication, I could become quite tankish. Either or, just want to be useful and have fun, ya know? stats, if needed, are as followed: 18 16 16 15 15 15 (roll 4 d6, drop 1s). Thanks for any, if at all, advice in advance, :)

icefractal
2014-04-25, 01:18 PM
The 3.0 rules for Psionics are - not well regarded, to say the least. So you may have trouble finding anyone familiar with them.

From a quick glance, it looks like the only ways to heal other people are:
1) Empathic Transfer, then heal yourself.
2) Mind Swap, then heal yourself in their body.
3) Affinity Field, then heal everyone.

Healing yourself though, is still a problem. You've got the rather unimpressive Body Adjustment, Biofeedback is only useful if you have another source of healing, and it looks like there's no easy way to get Fast Healing.

You might be better off grabbing one level of something that has CLW, and using wands for your healing needs.

Urpriest
2014-04-25, 02:10 PM
The 3.0 rules for Psionics are - not well regarded, to say the least. So you may have trouble finding anyone familiar with them.

From a quick glance, it looks like the only ways to heal other people are:
1) Empathic Transfer, then heal yourself.
2) Mind Swap, then heal yourself in their body.
3) Affinity Field, then heal everyone.

Empathic Transfer is the way your DM expects you to do it, and should be fine. It's how healing worked in Dark Sun since 2e AFAIK.

Sith_Happens
2014-04-25, 03:46 PM
First rule of using 3.0 psionics: Don't.

Lycar
2014-04-25, 09:47 PM
Problem is that my DM does not like what 3.5 did to psions and as such, uses 3.0 rules for them.
The first rule for 3.0 psionics: Shun the psionic combat rules. They plain don't work.

One thing to be aware of: You specialize in a discipline by putting a high attribute rating there. For in 3.0 psionics, you can learn powers only up to a level determined by the governing attribute. Egoists need STR to be high, Shapers INT, Telepaths CHA and so on.

If you dump a stat it means you can not learn any powers from that discipline. It is a very interesting concept, meaning that you really have to think very hard about allocating your stats... except you rolled no stat under 15, so you are pretty much golden on all fronts. A single extra stat point in your main stat from leveling is all you need to gain access to the highest level of powers, but you may be better served by turning a few more 15s into 16s.

Contrary to popular opinion, not maxing out casting stat isn't 'playing the game wrong'.

As far as powers go, well, you are very flexible as a Psion. Just pick a single target damage power, an area effect damage power, pick element to taste upon manifesting. Take the Emphatic Transfer power to heal others, Body Adjustment to heal yourself.

Animal Affinity is your own stat buff power. Take some utility powers to taste. The usual suspects are probably the psionic versions of battlefield control and defensive spells.

137beth
2014-04-25, 10:33 PM
First rule of using 3.0 psionics: Don't.

These are not the psionic rules you are looking for
Telepathy (Charm) [Mind- Affecting]
Telapath 2
Display: Visual [manifester, see text], Auditory
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 10 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
PP: 3

Effect:
As Psionic Suggestion, except as noted here. The manifester must waive their hand at the target(s) while manifesting, unless the visual component is suppressed.
Augment:

a) For every 2 additional power points you spend, this power can affect an additional target. Any additional target cannot be more than 15 feet from another target of the power.
b) For every 2 additional power points you spend, the target(s) take a -1 penalty to its (their) save.
c) If you spend 2 additional power points, the duration becomes 1 hr/level.

And to keep it close to the source material, it can also be learned as a Devoted Spirit maneuver.

I gave it extra augmentation options to balance out the suspicious looking hand gesture (which I assume is not something a manipulating manifester using suggestion would normally want) and the shorter duration.