PDA

View Full Version : Providence IC

Ezeze
2014-04-25, 05:57 PM
The Providence IC Thread

The Providence OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344448-Providence-OOC)

Providence. Noun. The protective care of God or of nature as a spiritual power.

"Provincial" is the best way to describe Juniper. It's a little town of less than 500 people, located in the Eastern portion of the Duchy of Estland, right on the very boarder of human civilization. Out beyond Juniper are the homesteads; vast farmlands and large pastures for the raising of cattle. It's an area of opportunity for the brave pioneers who settle there, but also one of danger with constant threat of raiders and bandits. Further East still are the Wildlands, where the adventurous and foolish go to make their fortunes - or to meet their deaths - amongst the orcs, goblins, dragons and worse that are said to make their homes beyond the reach of man.

When those pioneers need specialty goods - intricately forged metal, well crafted leather or minor magical trinkets - they come to Juniper where they trade with cheeses, gin and trained horses. More rarely, when adventurers return, they trade with strange gems and foreign coins that the residents of Juniper either sell to merchants who travel from the big cities further to the West or else pass with reverence from one generation to the next. This means that Juniper is largely a town of craftsmen. It thrives off of trade. There is even an Inn with a generous common room and good meals, as well as a spare bedroom rent-able by passerby for a few coin extra.

In the center of Juniper is a church. It's small and single story - nothing like the grand temples built to honor the gods and house high priests in the biggest of cities. But it's enough for Hollister, the aged cleric who serves Juniper and the surrounding regions. In addition to healer and spiritual guide, Hollister acts as the Steward of the town's most prized institution - a small library, composed mainly of holy books about the good gods (chiefly Pelor, revered by farmers), and epic tales about crusades and paladins of old. Juniper is justifiably proud of their library, and also proud that they can afford to send their children to learn reading and writing from the priest who attends it.

Closer to the edge of town but much larger is the Governor's Manor. Lord Erstwire, a distant and disliked cousin of the Duke of Estland, lives there in relative modesty considering the circumstances of his birth (though he is still easily the richest man in town). He has the dubious honor of administering these far reaches of his cousin's land for him. He serves both as chief of the military and as final court of appeal within the lands surrounding Juniper.

Juniper is home primarily to humans but half-elves, half-orcs and halflings also abound. Some stranger beings reside there as well, but not without comment and often not for very long.

Yes, "provincial" is definitely the best way to describe Juniper, but that has never been a barrier to Providence.

Ezeze
2014-04-25, 07:19 PM
It was a chill Spring morning in Juniper, but the clear blue sky promised that it'd probably warm up soon. A man rode into town on a horse, bringing with him a number of letters.

That's odd mutters Hollister, interrupting the careful work you were doing restoring a book much older than you are. He's just come in from outside where he was speaking to a man on a horse. My good friend Father Lancaster seems to have written me a letter. Oh, I haven't heard from him in years... this is followed by the delicate breaking of a wax seal, and the unfurling of a scroll by practiced hands. Ugh! your mentor exclaims, suddenly. This must have been left out in the rain, the text is absolutely ruined! A quick glance at the parchment reveals that Hollister is quite right; the ink has run and smudged to the point of making it illegible. It's obvious enough, however, that whatever was once written there was quite short.

Juniper has been pleasantly hospitable since your arrival here a few months ago. You've managed to take up semi-perminant residence within the local Inn, the only one in town and too small to have its own name. The keeper there, who has insisted that you call him "Bob," has gone out of his way to make you feel welcome. His wife Sasha has done the same despite being huge with child. She's due any day and the local healers - Father Hollister and a young man named Corwin - are in and out at all hours.

The couple has been only too happy to accept payment in meat when you can't find coin as a guide, but that's not overly often; there are strangers and travelers through Juniper frequently enough for you to keep employed, and just a few silver a head pays your upkeep. It has, however, been a slow week and it might be time to go hunt down some game to keep your host happy.

Juniper is a blessedly small town and it's rare that your latest little invention isn't the foremost thing on the minds of the town gossips. Recently, though, they haven't been. It seems last month a young human boy and his father passed through. They were merchants selling nick knacks, some not unlike yours. This in and of its self is not unusual, but apparently the father died of medical complications and left the poor boy alone in town with no one but kindly old Hollister (who is actually about your age, but a human and that's different) to help bury him in the church yard. Now the rumors abound that he's set up his wagon and horses just West of town, in eyesight of the Governor's Manor, and no one is quite sure what to do with him.

It's been about a month since your father passed away. It caught you utterly by surprise when it happened and you weren't sure what to do about it. Thankfully Father Hollister who is the local priest and his half-elf apprentice were kind enough to help you give him a proper funeral and burial in the church yard. They've been very kind since then, coming to see you four times out on the fringes of town in your covered wagon, filled to the brim with things your father would have known how to sell. You've done a little business in Juniper, most of it with the older women who've been coming, you're sure, to get a look at you. It'll probably be time to move on soon, but your father is buried here and leaving him is hard.

However proud you might be of it, the truth is that Juniper is small. Small towns can only support small armies, and the Guard here in Juniper is pretty much you, your brothers and some men you've known since you were a baby all being lead by your mother.

It's rare that you're called on to actually defend Juniper. Mostly the threats don't get this far, or else don't bother with such a small town. More frequently you're sent out to aid outlying farmsteads that pay taxes to Lord Erstwire and so have a right to expect his help with local threats. You hardly ever lose anyone to combat; the real dangers are infection and disease. That is a big part of why your mother was initially thrilled six years ago when Chandra Turing and her boys moved into town. Chandra and the younger of the two are both gifted healers and herbalists. The older one, though - Chandra says he's adopted, but your father has expressed doubts about that in private - he's slow. Slow but strong, unfortunately, which is why Lord Erstwire recently arranged for him to join the Guard, prompted in part by his coming of age and his grandfather's insistence that the boy learn something useful. This made your mother distinctly less thrilled. You remember the hell she raised, claiming that letting him into the guard was making a mockery of her profession. His name is Todrik. As the closest in age to him it has fallen to you to teach him swordsmanship, which is why the two of you are in the practice field with wooden swords today. It's his first lesson, which makes you recall all the bruises your mother left all along your legs and arms during your first lesson. At the time she had said "if it doesn't hurt you'll never learn" but in hindsight you think she must have been testing your resolve. It's good that she did; soldering is hard work for little pay, and you're constantly in danger. But you can't beat the pride and respect that come with protecting those things you hold dearest.

On the opposite side of the training field Meri Riversong, a dwarf noble-lady of some sort who has lived in Juniper at least as long as you've been alive, is steadily launching arrows into targets made mostly of hay.

Your life is exhausting. You have your Grandfather's support in everything you do, of course, but the fact remains that your mother and your adoptive brother Todrik require immense amounts of looking after, and all of it in addition to serving as local healer. Father Hollister and his apprentice are helpful, thankfully. Your mother is very fond of both of them. But then recently your Grandfather and Lord Erstwire conspired to have Todrik enrolled in the local militia, and of course that worries your mother to no end. She treats him like a four year old despite the fact that he's more than a year older than you. But as worried as she is, she has been hiding it around Todrik trying to keep him from being worried and you are sure you'd be out of your mind with stress even without Sasha Sidney's difficult pregnancy. You've been up all night with her and you're quite exhausted. You left her in her husband's capable hands with the understanding that Hollister would be around later to check up on the two of them.

Todrik will be gone before you get home. He was supposed to be out by dawn. Thankfully Captain Schild agreed to walk him to the training grounds. She promised he'd be training with her own daughter, which relieved you somewhat. The Captain has been nice to you and not without cause - you understand that most of her children are in the militia and you've stitched their wounds more than once since your arrival.

Of course your mother wouldn't blame you if you crawled directly into bed, but most mornings you wheel her to the temple to spend the morning with Hollister and the books there. It would take her mind off of Torik's first day and since you're sure the kindly old priest wouldn't mind watcher her for a time it would only take a few minutes. When you get home, though, she is no where to be found.

Juniper has been good since you've come here. People are always happy to see Chandra and Corwin, which you understand because they are really nice and know how to make things stop hurting. They introduced you to Bronson, who is also nice. He asked you to call him "Grandpa," and he's constantly teaching you to do things and then having you do them.

A few days ago Chandra told you that you'd be learning how to be in the militia. She seemed a little sad about that, but not too much. You met Captain Maronne Schild, who was nice. Grandpa told you to call her "Captain" or "Sir" because she deserved your respect and she was in charge while you were being a part of the militia. You also met Cecily, who is the Captain's daughter. You were also supposed to call her "Schild" or "Sir," which makes you think names are going to be confusing.

The Captain came and got you from home this morning and walked with you to the training fields. You're there with Cecily Schild and some wooden swords now, and she's supposed to be teaching you.

On the opposite side of the training fields is a dwarf with a bow and arrow.

You have company out on the training fields where you practice your archery today. You're already at your targets when Cecily - you've known her (or at least known of her) since she was a baby - walks out onto the field with a young man in tow. He's about her age, but new in town so you don't know his name. He, his mother and his brother have been here about six years or so now if you remember correctly. They bear some connection to Bronson Turing, who is a respected carpenter in town.

At first you wonder if it's a romantic liaison. You're not sure that would be appropriate; the boy is slow and special consideration needs to be taken for him even if he is of age by human standards. You're prepared to stop it but no, they have wooden practice swords and that makes you recall Lord Erstwire saying something about a new boy joining the militia. Apparently he's very strong. Sending Cecily to train him is a smart move on Captain Schild's part. She's in charge of the militia. She is also Cecily's mother. Having seen Cecily in action you don't doubt that the Captain is training her to lead the little militia that Juniper supports, and having her train a peer is a good way to start. It seems she's killing two birds with one stone.

BramsesII
2014-04-26, 04:41 AM
Cecily

"Really, mother? I have to train him? He's dumber than a bag of rocks; he'll never make a proper soldier." I throw up my hands and sigh in exasperation. She looks at me sternly, arms crossed over her chest. "Listen here young lady. You are a full-fledged soldier of Juniper and you will follow your captain's orders. Lord Erstwire himself has commanded that Todrik shall join the militia, and he will need to be trained properly." Her expression remains stern, but something in her voice tells me she feels the same way as I do about this. Still, she is right, of course. She is my captain and I must follow her orders, just as she has to follow lord Erstwire's. There's nothing to be done about it. "He'll start tomorrow morning. I expect you'll be ready at dawn." I stand at attention and salute her, - "Yes sir!" - before turning around to get some sleep.

~

The next morning my mother has already left as I'm getting up. I quickly gear up, strapping on my armor as usual. After a quick breakfast, I pick up my sling and put a bullet in the cradle, hanging it from my belt, and I gather my equipment in a backpack. A soldier should always be prepared for any circumstances. Finally, I securely fasten my shield to the straps on my back, and I pick up my sheathed sword, attaching it to my belt as well. It doesn't take long for her and the new recruit to arrive; they are approaching our home already as I step outside. He's taller than I remember. Has he grown, or am I misremembering things? I salute my mother when she arrives, remaining quiet as she explains to Todrik that he is to follow me to the training grounds for training. Her explanation is slow and thorough, and she patiently answers several of his questions repeatedly. I guess drilling him falls to me, then. When she's finished explaining to him what to do, I stand in front of him and look him in the eye, sternly. "Welcome, recruit. Gather up those swords and follow me. I'll see to it that you'll be properly trained with the sword. You shall be adressing me as sir Schild. Is that understood?"

~

As the two of us walk off towards the training grounds, I can hear my mother snickering in the background. I shall make her proud.

When we arrive, I spot Meri Riversong in the distance. I remember seeing her at the training grounds, always with her bow. My brothers know her better than I do, as she is one of the better archers in the village. I wave at her as we walk onto the grounds, before turning to Todrik. I remove my backpack as well as my sheathed sword and put both of them on the ground. They will only get in the way during training. "Recruit. Hand me one of those swords. Before we begin; have you ever handled a sword before?" Regardless of his answer, I begin instructing him on the proper stances and footwork required to properly fight with a sword in one hand. After all, swordfighting is done with the entire body, not simply by slashing wildly at your opponent.

Athelian
2014-04-26, 05:11 AM
Caught in the sunlight of another glorious dawn on Juniper, Corwin sways, nearly asleep on his feet in the comforting warmth of his families' comfortingly well-lit kitchen. Regardless of his being accustomed to such a perpetual state of weariness by over two years of upholding his (almost totally self imposed) responsibilities, the past sleepless evening of tending to Mrs. Sidney has left Corwin barely holding on to his clarity with his fingernails. Still, the hard line of anxious concern that has served as his primary motivator for nearly the entirety of the past decade is too tautly wound for him to release his death-grip on consciousness just yet.

Mother. Missing. Uncustomary.

He recites to himself, giving his head a quick shake in an attempt to dissipate the cloying fantasy of collapsing into his cot, before turning towards the stairs heading up.

"Bronson!"

Even if his Grandfather were to attempt to ignore him due to his absolute hatred of Corwin yelling up the stairs, the use of his forename would ensure the nearly traditional response of, 'What's that, boy?!', given the elder gentlemen's insistence on being called, "Grandpa." As always, it was simply providing the appropriate stimuli and, to be frank, Corwin was simply in no mood to go traipsing up and down the stairs, again, in search of another lost family member.

Ezeze
2014-04-26, 07:17 AM
Corwin
You know your grandfather well. A clear cry of "What's that, boy?" comes back down the stairs at you, followed momentarily by the man himself. He was well built in his youth which continues to serve him now as he is able to stand straight where some men his age begin to droop forward. His hair is gray and lines run deep on his face, but he continues to work his craft, although he rarely does the heaviest of lifting anymore having hands to assist him with that. The soft lifestyle and his advancing years are just beginning to show about his waist, but one doesn't comment on such things.

"Oh, I thought you were gone already. Or are you already getting back?" He absentmindedly looks at the clock on the far wall. "I guess it's been long enough for it."

Athelian
2014-04-26, 12:04 PM
Seeing the severely cut figure of his physically imposing grandfather drudges up the same cascade feelings it always does; brief flashes of inadequacy and envy, as shades of their resemblance are obvious - Height, breadth of shoulder, length of limb - but whereas the elder of the pair blossomed during his youth, Corwin wilted. Well muscled and handsomely proportioned, Bronson cuts an impressive figure next to his gangly, thin grandson. Regardless, those are old feelings, well chained and easily suppressed and the smile that comes to his thin lips is wholly sincere, if worn.

"Apologies, Grandfather," he says almost with the habit of a prayer, the starter to such conversations being such a staple of the house it would almost be alien for it not to occur at least once a day, "I just returned from the Inn; Mrs. Sidney is..." He blinks, arching a thin, straight brow, "'Gone already'? Where am I supposed to be? Where is Chandra?"

Ezeze
2014-04-26, 12:24 PM
Corwin
Your Grandfather looks at you, puzzled. I thought you left to take your mother to the temple for the day? She dressed in a hurry about half an hour ago, so I assumed you'd gone with her.

Athelian
2014-04-26, 01:50 PM
Curious.

Corwin maintains eye contact with his Grandfather for only another moment, his features betraying none of his growing confusion and, more preeminently, concern.

"No. I suppose I'll be joining her."

And, with that, Corwin turns towards the screen door exiting the kitchen, taking and donning his heavy satchel from the stained oak tabletop, the numerous bottles and vials of the pack clinking merrily as he hurriedly exits into the bright, chill morning air and makes his way to Chapel, not far down the road.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-04-26, 02:16 PM
PSITTA has to admit that she did not think much of the elder Crosby.

When he had first arrived, the gnome gave him as warm of a greeting as anyone else, and suffered his typical travelling-salesman spiel reasonably politely, but ultimately, she concluded that the man and his heir were the competition, a prompt for the local inventor to step up her game and stay ahead of the curve. He was another smiling face in the church and tavern crowds, and she only ever sought him out specifically to check on his progress and think of ways to outdo him.

Needless to say, when she heard that the guy had suddenly died, she felt awful.

A gnome and a donkey stand apprehensively outside of Aaren's cart. Up to this point, Psitta had yet to actually give her condolences. On some level, she wasn't sure whether it was appropriate, or whether the Crosby family are her rivals... but, that's really a dumb way of looking at it. Aaren just lost his father, and he's just a kid. Well, sort of.

She had thought on the matter and prayed for guidance, asking about their names and circumstances, asking Father Hollister how the kid was taking it, ultimately settling on an approach that plays into what she's good at. She walks up to the covered wagon and tugs on the cloth canopy. No other customers around. That's probably good, for this situation.

"Heloo-oo? Aaren?"

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 06:03 PM
Merick

Merick rises from his table from working on sharpening arrows and stretches. Too much sitting in his room is not good. Too much work, gives him too much time to think about has been and not enough pressure to focus on the now and what will be. He begins to don his armor and then gathers his gear. It will be good to get out into the wilderness.

After gearing up he heads down the stairs. Seeing Bob at work behind the counter he says, "Morning Bob. let Sasha know she should have some game for tonight."

AngryCyc
2014-04-26, 07:02 PM
Always eager to seek adventure even where none exists, Phillip jumps at the ready with "Might it have been urgent?? Perhaps he has written to you in time of need..! Who knows how long this message took in delivery in the first place? As you know, I am ever at the ready to assist you in anyway you deem necessary for these matters!" He nearly bounces with each word, his mind racing with thoughts of peril and danger, of invading demon armies and princesses to save...

-Pax
2014-04-26, 10:33 PM
Todrik

Huddled awkwardly on his side in bed, Todrik could barely contain himself. A goofy, wide grin underlining bloodshot eyes was the most obvious evidence of the man's inability to sleep that night. He was starting training that morning and it was the only thing encompassing his thoughts. Visions of Todrik in shining armor, tall and strong, a sword shining as brightly as the sun hanging from his waist, haunted the few winks of sleep he was able to squeeze in between the fantasized exploits he'd accomplish as town guard, including stopping a bandit raid and investigating a mysterious disappearance. It was a complete truth that he was romanticizing what it truly meant to be a guard in a small, remote town but deep down he believed in what he pictured.

As he tromped toward the training ground with the intimidating Missus Schild, he did his best to act "capable". Chest puffed out with a slight glower that looked rather unnatural on his soft features, Todrik towered over the captain of the guard by at least a head but internally felt dwarfed by the serious air that seemed to come off the captain in waves. As they came into view of the grounds another woman in armor, standing by a what looked like a pile of lumber came into view. The pair stopped and Todrik, excited beyond belief was shifting his considerable bulk from toe to toe. The forced scowl on his face beginning to crack under the excitement scratching its way to the surface. The explanation of drills, chain of command, and the rigorous exercises he would be going through fell on only quarter-deaf ears. Todrik couldn't help but look at the other young lady in glimpses and the Dwarf already on the field and this was only exacerbated by his inability to maintain eye contact with the captain without being intimidated by the steel in her eyes. Eventually, he was let go into the care of the other lady.

"Welcome, recruit. Gather up those swords and follow me. I'll see to it that you'll be properly trained with the sword. You shall be adressing me as sir Schild. Is that understood?"

"Uhhh. Y-yes Miss Schil-SIR! Uhh Miss...sir. Yes...sir?", Todrik spluttered as he gathered the entire pile of planks in his arms and followed behind the woman with heavy, dragging steps. Though the pile in his arms seemed dangerously unstable, the young man seemed to hold on with a rather haphazard sort of grace, teetering in the precise way necessary to keep the pile from crashing down around the two. This grace was lsot however when they stopped walking and he was prompted to put down the planks which he just did, letting go of the pile all at once and letting the boards clatter on the ground and eventually handing her one of the "swords" when prompted.

"Uhhh. No...I never held a sword. This...", he held up the sword in his hand. The handle was just short enough to make holding it with Todrik's large hands awkward at best. "This isn't what we're using for real right?"

Throughout the session, Todrik proved his reputation true. He was painfully slow on the uptake. His footing was awkward, and it was obvious that he was uncomfortable with the small weapon. In time though, his mimicry of Cecil's stances and footwork became better and better until he began to adjust them to his own frame by some instinct. THe only things he couldn't overcome though were his fumbling with his unarmed hand and how small the wooden training sword felt in his grasp.

"This really don't feel right, Miss-sir Schild."

Ezeze
2014-04-26, 11:14 PM
Slow down, slow down Hollister chuckles, amused by your exuberance. There is a little nostalgia in his laugh. He remembers being young once, too. I doubt it's anything too serious.

Even so, perhaps it would be a good idea for you to go Westwards to see him. Expand your horizons, as it were? We go East often enough, but West so infrequently that it's easy to forget our little village - and the farmsteads, of course - aren't the whole world.

He stops a moment, thinking with a hand on his beard. I'd offer to go with you, but the Sidney baby is due soon and an old man like me would just slow you down in any case. Why don't you go see that Merick fellow, who is staying at the Inn? He does some guide work, and he's about your age in any case. Ask him what he charges. A couple of fellows who passed through last month paid in coin so we have a little to spare. That's fairly unusual. Most of your patients pay in barter, which means the two of you never hurt for a home cooked meal but little actual money passes through the temple. If Hollister is willing to spend some of it on getting you safely to see his friend he must be taking this more seriously than he is letting on.

Despite being quite obviously tired, Bob smiles at you in a good natured manner. Sure thing. The preference seems to be for rabbit, if you can swing that this early in the season. Apparently the baby has a taste for it. He follows this up with an over-exaggerated wink. Bob and Sasha are both young yet and you haven't seen any other children around, so you believe the one in her belly now will be their first. It'd certainly explain how eager Bob has been to talk about it - and the way he's been waiting on his wife hand and foot.

Smileybastard
2014-04-26, 11:21 PM
Merick

Merick smiles. "I'll see what I can do my friend ... and if you need some other help just let me know."

With that Merick walks out into the street and heads towards the edge of town. He was envious of Bob. He had Sasha and they seemed happy and what more could one ask for in life?

AngryCyc
2014-04-27, 06:10 AM
Even as Hollister finishes talking and looks to Phillip to reply, Phillip find himself a bit stunned. So used to be denied his chance to adventure with excuses of duty and responsibility, he doesn't quote know what to say and so just stares around for a good 5 seconds before jumping up with a "YES! haha! Alright! Okay.. yeah! Let's see... yeah I guess I'll need to pack some supplies for the journey and maybe... OH what if there's danger?? I should see about getting a weapon to defend myself, and maybe someone has some armor I can borrow... a backpack, to carry everything in... Oh gosh. Do you think I can get this all packed together and ready to go by tonight??"

Phillip starts excitedly hurrying about, grabbing what he can, realizing that he doesn't actually need very much of it, and scurrying about like a bug in the sun.

Eventually, he manages to get a small bag packed with some travel gear, some food, and asks around for a weapon and some armor to borrow for his journey before bidding Hollister a blessed goodbye and hurrying out to meet this Merrick fellow at the inn to see about getting some guide service.

BramsesII
2014-04-27, 06:47 AM
Cecily

Today is going to be a long day. Even the dimmest of recruits would realize that the wooden practice swords were, as their name implies, for practice. Still, he asks me if they are real swords, and I have to try hard not to sigh loudly. Orders are orders, I have a job to do. "No. We use real swords in combat. Have you ever seen a real sword, recruit?" Before he can answer my question, I continue with a little speech. We don't have all day to answer questions; there is training to be done. "Either way... these wooden swords have been balanced much like a real sword, so that you can get used to the way they move in your hand. It's not exactly a real sword, but it's good enough for training."

I supress yet another sigh as I see him make his first few clumsy moves with the wooden weapon. He must've been telling the truth when he said he never used a sword before. There is no way I'm going to be able to train him to use a sword effectively. His footwork is okay, but he handles the sword as one would a hammer. Today is going to be a long day indeed. I resolve to bring different weapons tomorrow. Perhaps something more suited to chopping than slashing. It seems he agrees. "If you want to be a proper soldier, you'll need to learn to use a variety of weapons. That includes swords. Is that understood, recruit?" I eye him sharply as he answers. "Still, at your age learning to use a sword properly will take a long time. Most people start learning at a much younger age. Tomorrow we will bring different weapons, so that you can join the militia within a reasonable amount of time. What sort of weapon are you used to using? Axes or hammers?"

Ezeze
2014-04-27, 09:36 AM
Merick is passing by the temple on his way out to the woods, decked out in his hunting gear with his prized bow slung confidently over his shoulder when Phillip - the half elf who serves as Hollister's apprentice - practically runs into him going the opposite direction. The young apprentice has a pack slung over his shoulders filled to bursting with what looks suspiciously like bread and is all but vibrating with excitement.

[roll0]

Your walk to the temple is a short, familiar one and no one bothers you. On the way in you pass Phillip - the half elf who serves as Hollister's apprentice - leaving the temple in some sort of hurry. You don't need to go far inside to find Hollister himself, who has one scroll tucked carefully under his left arm and an open book in his right. He seems worried and distracted, but smiles when he sees you.

Ah, Corwin. How are you today?

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 10:05 AM
Merick

Merick smiles. "Where are you off to in such a hurry with all the bread?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-27, 10:27 AM
"To find you actually! The gods have blessed with a short search it appears!" Phillip starts. He quickly fills Merrick in on the details of the adventure before finishing with "so will you be my guide on the journey??", coin purse jostling in his outstretched hand.

Snacs
2014-04-27, 10:28 AM
Breath in, Breath out. Release. Thunk.

Meri lost herself in the simple motion. The warm stretch of her muscles pulling taut the bowstring, which delicately kissed her cheek. The rush of air following her breath. The shudder of the target under the impact. It was relaxing to let no other thoughts intrude. Finally she set her bow aside and stretched, spotting two figures approaching the 'training grounds', really just a broad stretch of slightly rolling grass, bare-packed earth, pockmarked with wild trees on the outer edge of Lord Erstwire's property. She recognized both, one more than the other. The young Schild, Maronne's daughter and the new recruit. At the wave Meri gave a short nod of her head of greeting.

She liked Maronne, a no-nonsense woman that she had herself trained in archery. Meri found herself smiling softly, placing the younger Maronne of her memory against the figure her daughter cut. A lucky woman indeed, with sons and daughters to carry on her legacy.

Taking a waterskin and wrapped food from her pack the dwarf set herself against the base of a tree for a rest, watching the two young humans train, noting the way the younger Todrik slowly absorbed the lessons the young Schild was teaching him.

With a sigh the dwarven woman finished her meal and lifted her bow again, keeping an eye on the pair idly as she practiced.

Breath in, Breath out. Thunk.

Athelian
2014-04-27, 12:52 PM
Upon seeing Phillip bustle past, Corwin nods in greeting. While not necessarily friends, Corwin's long affiliation with him and his master has, at the very least, bred a certain sense of familiarity between the two. And, though he certainly seemed rather.... Chipper, even for himself, Corwin barely noticed the distinction, as wearily wound up as he was.

Upon seeing the much older gentlemen, nods his head respectfully, before speaking, his long, thin fingers plucking at the straps of his heavy satchel,

"I am fin...,

he began to lie, quietly, before furrowing his brow

"Is something wrong? It was my understanding that my mother was here, but I didn't see her on my way into the building."

Ezeze
2014-04-27, 01:46 PM
Hollister furrows his brow I haven't seen your mother all day.

But isn't today your adoptive brother's first day as a member of the militia? She might be out on the training fields with him. Of course Hollister knows about that, your mother tells him as much as she tells you. It's not a bad idea, though, and the training fields aren't terribly far off - even if they are back in the direction you just came from.

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 01:51 PM
Merick

"Quite the coincidence." Merick holds out his hand to receive the coin. "I assume we are getting more details? I am can take you west without a doubt, but we need to know the destination."

AngryCyc
2014-04-27, 02:09 PM
"Fantastic!" Phillip exclaims excitedly. "Come with me to the priest and we can work out all these details right away." he says, leading the way back into the church where he meets Hollister again.

"Look at who the gods sent right outside our door! Now that I have my guide here... what exactly are we looking to pay him? And what precisely is the route towards our goal?"

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 02:12 PM
Merick

Merick follows the over excited Phillip to meet Hollister.

Athelian
2014-04-27, 02:30 PM

Corwin remains still, watching the older gentlemen, before the conclusion hit him regarding his grandfather's earlier words,

'Thought,' and, 'Assumed,'

Clearly, his exhaustion is getting to him; he isn't thinking even remotely lucidly, not asking any of the right questions. Clicking his teeth once, he allows himself one, calming breath in an attempt to find his center. Clearing his thoughts, he turns back to the priest and speaks,

"Actually, Todrik left at dawn and, to my knowledge, I was still to take her to temple today. Has she mentioned anything else to you that may indicate where she may have gone?"

He pauses, finally beginning to take in the situation,

"Is there something wrong?"

[roll0]

Ezeze
2014-04-27, 03:06 PM
Oh I was worried about something small, but it's nothing at all to do with your mother.

We should definitely check the training grounds before we go panicking. It's possible she just felt particularly well today - you know how her nausea comes and goes - and went without you. I'll come with if you'll just give me a minute to...

Hollister seems to have been in mid-conversation with Corwin, a young healer and the grandson of Bronson Turning who owns a rather large home down the road, when Phillip and Merick come back in. He breaks off at the sight of the two young men, and smiles slightly at Phillip's explanation.

You know Corwin's mother, Chandra, better than you know him. She's a lovely woman around 40 years of age who spent her youth tending to the sick - which is probably why her body has started to give out so uncharacteristically young. Some days she is not even able to stand on her own power. But she's also a very pious woman who is close to Hollister, so Corwin frequently wheels her here in a specially-made chair. While Corwin is a good lad and takes care of his mother you've gotten the impression that he's not especially devout.

You don't know much about Merick. He has been here a few months now and whatever it is he does keeps him in the forest most days.

"Look at who the gods sent right outside our door! Now that I have my guide here... what exactly are we looking to pay him? And what precisely is the route towards our goal?"

Oh, was he?

The trip isn't a far one - it's just over to Faylend. You could take the road there, if you wanted, but that loops South around the forest and you can cut the trip practically in half if you're willing to go through it instead. Which is why I suggested you seek Merick's help at this the old priest nods to indicate the woodsman. As for pay, well, we do have a few silver. Being paid in coin is always preferable to paid in kind, after all. We can offer eleven silver for a trip both ways, and the hospitality of the Temple in Faylend for however long you're there.

You know the place Hollister is talking about and he's right - it's five days if you go by the road, but you can do it in three though the forest. Actually you could probably do it in one and a half if you needed to get there and didn't stop to sleep on the way, but it wouldn't be comfortable and this doesn't sound especially urgent.

Eleven silver is below what you normally charge the caravans. Your going rate tends to be three silver a day, which would total eighteen silver in this case even if you are willing to accept "the hospitality of the temple" as your sole pay for however long Philip intends to stay in Faylend (which, you realize, hasn't been discussed). You could negotiate of course - there aren't many in Juniper who would be capable and willing to do this sort of work. On the other hand, this is the temple asking you to do this. If you've ever been particularly devout you might feel bad about asking for more from a small town priest.

But could you please wait just a few moments? I've told Corwin I'll accompany him to the training grounds to look for his mother.

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 03:23 PM
Merick

Merick nods. "Eleven silver will do just fine if I can get it in advance, it would be great."

Athelian
2014-04-27, 03:34 PM
Jaw tight, there is a certain look of contained frustration about the young man as the two older sir's enter the chapel, interrupting the conversation, yet it seemingly passes quickly. Turning to regard the the newcomers, Corwin takes a step back, allowing them their space. Even to a cursory glance, the uncharacteristically tall fellow is exhausted and has an air of infirmity about him, suggested by his thin, angular features. A somewhat over-sized black surcoat hangs from his broad, thin shoulders, giving him an almost comically swallowed up look, further emphasized by the large, bulging satchel strapped to his back.

He makes the pretense of not listening to their conversation by averting his gaze, but without plugging his ears and humming, there would be little he could do to avoid it. At Hollister's prompting, Corwin turns back,

"If you insist, sir."

Not certain as to why Hollister is accompanying, he nevertheless isn't up to dissuading him from joining without running the risk of offending him.

Corwin waits the time necessary for Hollister to set his affairs in order before joining him again into the brisk, bright day.

Normally quite content to let sleeping dogs lie, his current anxiety can't help but needle him and, if they are treading over old ground with nothing else to discuss, then why not?

"If you do not mind me inquiring, sir, what is the matter?"

Ezeze
2014-04-27, 04:16 PM
Good, it's settled then. Phillip, you know where the temple's coin is kept.
For the record, it's under the altar in the main temple - kept there the Gods can keep watch on it.
Pay Merick and gather up any supplies you think you might need. I see you grabbed your weapon first - I hope you don't need it, but you're probably right to take it with you. It's not like I have use for it here in any case.

Lets go, Corwin. I won't make you wait any longer. With that Hollister and Corwin set out, leaving Merick and Philip alone in the temple.

The walk is short, but you do find the opportunity to ask your question. I don't mind at all. An old friend wrote me, you see, but the scroll was illegible. An innocent enough thing, but for some reason it set me ill at ease.

You get the sense that what he is saying is the truth, but not strictly the whole truth. The aging priest is a terrible liar.

-Pax
2014-04-27, 04:31 PM
Looking a up a bit, Todrik brings a finger up to his mouth and bends his lower lip outward a bit. "Hmmmm. I've never used no weapon Missus Sir Schild. Pappy Bronson makes me use small hammers and axes to work the wood though. I'm real good at chopping the wood though. One time I was chopping wood and I was chopping it real fast, Pappy was so impressed, yes he was."

Getting out of his quick meandering, Todrik looks down at Cecil. "Why isn't Captain training me? I thought she trained the new people." A slight pause hangs on the air before his eyes widen and he splutters a little, "Uhh-I don't mean you are NOT a good teacher, I just...uhhh. Sorry Miss Sir Schild."

Athelian
2014-04-27, 04:38 PM
"Hm."

summarizes Corwin's immediate reply, but, after a moment, he finds that, despite his own preoccupations, he can't help but sympathize with such a dear friend of his mother's,

"I have spent sometime learning the structure of calligraphy; I could mayhaps take a look, see if the letter is still salvageable? As well... "

He clears his throat; he's never been the best at doing such things diplomatically,

"Perhaps sharing everything that is amiss could help, um, help alleviate your concerns? Gathering another perspective and what not."

[roll0]

AngryCyc
2014-04-27, 04:46 PM
Phillip shuffles off to the inner temple and then hurries back to pay Merrick his dues, making sure his backpack is loaded with everything he'd need for a trip through the forest... Including some camping gear and even a few scraps of paper to write on, just in case.

He swiftly pays the guide his due and bids farewell.

After you!" he says to Merrick.

Smileybastard
2014-04-27, 04:59 PM
Merick

"Lets go then, I just need to drop the money off to pay my rent."

With that Merick pays Bob and leads Phillip out of town.

As Merick leads he keeps his eyes peeled for game. "Have you ever gone cross country before?"

Survival [roll0] to make way through the wilderness in good time
Perception [roll1]

BramsesII
2014-04-28, 01:56 PM
Cecily

Gods. Will these questions never end? I struggle to keep my patience, staring Todrik straight in the eye. I fold my arms across my chest and answer his question matter-of-factly, ignoring his impertinent remark. "The captain has other matters to attend to. And you will address me as "Sir" or "Sir Schild". Not "Miss", "Miss Schild", "Miss Sir Schild" or any other combination you can come up with. Now, you claim you have never used a weapon before, but you're a great woodcutter. Combat is nothing like chopping wood, recruit. Trees do not impale you on their blade if you make a false move. You'll do well to remember that."

Perhaps I shouldn't be so strict on him. After all, he's only a boy, and not a very smart one either. Still, he needs to learn, and if we want him to join the militia somewhere in the next few years, he'll need to pick up the pace. Being kind will not get either of us anywhere. I take up a fighting stance, holding my wooden practice sword out in my main hand. "Try to follow my movements as closely as you can, recruit. I'll show you how to wield a sword properly without leaving your defenses wide open. After all, you don't want to end up dead after one fight, do you?"

I show him several simple sword-arm movements, correcting his footwork and instructing him on the right ways to move when in combat. "Now, keep up practicing until I tell you to stop. You will keep it up at least until noon."

Ezeze
2014-04-29, 06:53 AM
It's very kind of you to offer. I suppose it couldn't hurt Hollister says to Corwin, the two approaching the training fields where Cecily, Todrik and Meri are hard at work.

Your adopted brother is here, but not your mother.

Bob is happy to see you on your way. Sasha will be upset to miss out on that rabbit, but good work is good work right? The man seems perpetually cheerful, running an inn suits him well.

For the first half of the first day you pretty much just follow the road Westward, but then it bends towards the South and your path diverges from it. (ooc: a bigger update is coming soon :smallwink:)

AngryCyc
2014-04-29, 07:12 AM
Phillip has his sword out and is slashing at imaginary foes with it as they make their way down the trail.

Smileybastard
2014-04-29, 05:01 PM
Merick

Merick walks along happily, amused by Philips youthful exuberance. It always nice to travel and be paid for it.

"So what is so urgent for you to hire me to go cross country?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-29, 06:11 PM
"No idea. We got a letter from Hollister's old friend that he hasn't seen in 10 years or something, only the letter was washed out from rain. He felt maybe the letter had some urgency to it that should be investigated so were heading to the source!" Phillip says, annunciation every couple words with slashes and stabs.

Smileybastard
2014-04-29, 06:15 PM
Merick

"Oh I see. I take it you are learning swordplay? While I am capable with a sword, I am more of an archer. "

"If we are attacked, can I count on you to hold your own?"

AngryCyc
2014-04-29, 06:56 PM
"oh. Yeah. Yeah... That's. Definitely. Yeah I can do that."

Ezeze
2014-04-30, 08:16 PM
Oh, good morning Aaren says, having swung open the slated wagon door that faces away from the horse hitch. The horse himself is a few feet away, grazing in the grass attached to the wagon by a rather long tether. In all honesty he smells a little funky, but under the circumstances if that's the worst of it than he's doing pretty well.

Hollister and Corwin look about. The elder man is the first to speak I don't suppose any of you have seen Mrs Turing about?

You haven't seen Mrs Turing - Corwin's and Todrik's mother - at least all morning.
Your adoptive mother saw you out this morning. She waved from the front step as you walked away with Captain Schild.

In the months escorting caravans and travelers along paths and through woods Merick has never been attacked by anything this far West. In fact, with as few people in the woods as there are, the only potential threats are hungry predators. But with spring well upon you and birds and the smaller animals retuning there seems to be enough known prey for the wolves and coyotes to keep full without attacking two well armed bipeds. This makes your walk relatively safe, even pleasant. The days are warm enough that the thick clothing you've brought and your consistent activity keep out the chill while the top branches of the trees protect your eyes from the sun and cast mottled shadows on the peaceful scenes around you.

And yet on the second night of your journey, with the sun newly set and the two of you just considering making camp, you hear something that doesn't fit at all with the tranquility of the forest around you - a woman's scream.

Rolling Initiative
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Rolling Perception
[roll3]
[roll4]

It's not hard for either of you, keen as your eyes are, to make out the large fire in the distance - it seems to be a controlled bonfire. But there are a number of other figures, a few of them holding torches, running about rather quickly. It's hard to tell more from this far out.

(ooc: You're in dim light, with no light source currently. The action is ~40 feet away over rough terrain.)

Smileybastard
2014-04-30, 10:04 PM
Merick

Merick sneaks towards the fire trying to make sense of what he sees.

Stealth [roll0]

AngryCyc
2014-04-30, 10:32 PM
Phillips starts hurriedly trying to get straight to the bonfire... making his way as quickly as he can over the short distance there. He calls forth a holy light from his palm to guide him on his way. He looks around for his guide, but appears to have lost him in the dark somewhere...

The light on his palm burns in the shape of a most holy symbol of good.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-01, 01:53 AM
"Good morning!" Psitta replies cheerfully, having not thought of what time of day it was before Aaren mentioned it.

She smiles as she looks up at the young man, her eyes giving away her sadness and discomfort with the situation. "So... how have you been? I guess you've been running the shop on your own for a few weeks now, right? Do you think you're getting the hang of it?"

It's still pretty early, so the most likely response to all of miss motor-mouth's questions is probably a yawn and a shrug. That's fine. She doesn't mind doing all of the talking.

"I... know I haven't really talked to you or your father very much up until now. I barely knew him, really. But, I know he was a good man, and I still feel like I need to pay my respects to a fellow tinkerer..."

She rubs the back of her neck, knowing full well that there are no, 'right words,' to say here, then perks up and rushes to produce something from the donkey's saddle bags. "Well, long story short," she resumes, excited, "I made this, and I want you to have it!"

She holds up a small, fairly simple box with a striped letter C engraved into the lifting lid. Inside is a fairly intricate wooden design, incorporating the image a craftsman's hammer set inside of a thin circle - something pulled from Moradin's iconography.

Snacs
2014-05-01, 11:32 AM
"No, sorry. I've been here all morning, and came directly from Lord Erstwire's home."She still didn't call it her own home, despite the manor being her residence for decades, longer even then some of the others present. She tucks her bow over an arm as she moves closer to the small group.

"Is something wrong?"

BramsesII
2014-05-01, 01:42 PM
Cecily

Wait. Up in the distance, isn't that the old priest? Oh joy, and Todrik's bookworm brother Corwin. I wonder what brings them here, I can't imagine either of them being interested in the boy's training. After all, fighting's a thing for warriors, not for bookworms and defenseless old men. I keep one eye on Todrik as the two approach. "Keep it up, recruit. With enough practice we'll make a real fighter out of you yet." The pair approaches us. It's as I thought; they don't seem to be here to watch Todrik train. They look as if they're looking for someone, someone who isn't here. I hold up my right hand and speak to Todrik: "Enough. Time for a short break, recruit. At ease."

I turn towards Hollister as he asks his question, offering the man a polite smile as I answer. "I don't remember having seen Mrs Turing this morning, the captain walked Todrik to our house, and we left for the training fields together. She hasn't been here either."

Ezeze
2014-05-02, 10:48 AM
While Merick disappears into the underbrush, aided by the darkness and distractions, Phillip heads towards the campfire. He manages to close most of the distance in a few short seconds and both he and Merick get a much better view.

It seems travelers of some sort - maybe two dozen people, men, women and children alike - are being attacked by a quarter as many soldiers in chain shirts, armed with swords and flails, who seem to be more interested in herding them than actually killing anyone. There are a number of badly wounded people sitting with their backs to the campfire and bleeding profusely, and one unfortunate woman with gray hair laying and bleeding from her head either unconscious or dead. Despite being outnumbered the soldiers are clearly in control. They are the only ones with weapons, and one of them is on a horse holding a large banner
Knowledge (nobility)
[roll0]
[roll1]

A few of the more able citizens are running away from the camp with soldiers hot on their tail. When the man on the horse sees Phillip he turns and points at him, calling out That one, too! Don't let them escape!

(ooc: You're approaching the fire from the South East. There is one soldier about 10' to Philip's left (to the West) and another 15' between him and the fire. I'm currently posting from school so I can't include a map, but if you want to wait until later I can upload one.

Erm, thank you. Aaren responds with a slight smile. He's grateful enough for the gift, obviously, just a little off his feet when it comes to responding to Psitta's cheer and energy. Eventually he decides to respond by being particularly polite. I just finished making breakfast. It's nothing fancy, just some toasted bread and bacon, but you're welcome to join me.

Oh dear Hollister mummers. It appears she has gone missing. Corwin assures me that she was not at home, and I haven't seen her at the temple all day. We thought perhaps she'd come here for Todrik's first day of training, but if she hasn't... Hollister lets the thought hang, unfinished. Chandra Turing, while perhaps one of the most gentle women in the entire world, has been perpetually of ill health as of late. There may be reason to worry, if she's missing...

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-02, 07:39 PM
"Hmm! Alright. Thank you!"

Psitta struggles to make the 3-foot climb into the mobile home, eventually taking Aaren's hand to help pull her up. Before going past the doorway, she turns to issue a command to the donkey.

"STAY, Helper."

Helper wasn't going anywhere to begin with. Psitta proceeds inside.

Smileybastard
2014-05-02, 08:08 PM
Merick

Merick sees his young charge running into grave danger and draws his bow only to hesitate. There are six of the soldiers and only two of them, plus he does not know who anyone is. He relaxes the bow slightly. He needs to watch and see what happens. Surprise and stealth are valuable allies to simply give up.

AngryCyc
2014-05-02, 10:02 PM
" You may cast light three times per day as a spell-like ability, but this ability only targets the palm of your hand, and it manifests as a glowing sigil representing your ominous birth—a holy or unholy symbol, a demonic symbol, or perhaps some other distinctive marking established by you and your GM. Those who recognize this symbol have a starting attitude toward you of one step closer to friendly (if they are followers of or scholars studying the sign) or one step closer to hostile (if they are opposed to the sign or its followers)."

While walking up, Phillip gives himself a bit of the luck of the gods...

Phillip stops, stands proud with the sword held out in front of him, and in his most commanding voice, yells out "HALT. I order you to tell me what is going on here this instant! I am Phillip Clarister... Priest and Servant of the Holy and Righteous Gods and I will have some order!" He holds his sword ready, but not quite threateningly.

Diplomacy, rolled twice and taking the best because of Bit o Luck.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ezeze
2014-05-30, 06:32 PM
Hollister and Todrik catch one another's eye and look worried, despite the good-natured reassurances the old priest had offered to Corwin on the way over. The younger of the two men is the first to speak. I know it's my first day and all, Sir Schild.
So he can be taught after all...
But my ma doesn't feel good a lot, and her missing might be bad. Can I go look for her?

I have a little experience in tracking Meri offers. It seems she had come closer to the conversation between Hollister and the others without drawing attention to herself. So unobtrusive is her presence and so accustomed to her are those present - for she has been a fixture in Juniper longer even than Hollister - that while she speaks barely above a whisper Cecily still jumps as she is suddenly made aware of the dwarf (armed, no less) standing just behind her. She hasn't been gone more than a day... And the sky has been clear besides... Meri leaves her sentences hanging in the air unfinished.

Cecily, however serious she might be about Todrik's training, understands responsibility to one's family very well. She assents to the search, provided she comes along to ensure that her student returns once his mother has been found. So in the end it's an odd little group that sets out in search of Chandra Turing. Once her offer of assistance is accepted, Meri leads the others to the Turing Estate. She knows where it is, having been there even before the grand home was lost and then regained. She seems disinclined to pay her respects to the elder Turing and doesn't even enter the building, instead seizing quickly on a set of tracks made my small, slowly moving feet starting at the front door.

They lead, oddly enough, in a straight line away to the North and West - to which there is maybe a quarter mile of flat grassland abutting a few trees which grow denser as one continues until they become a forest. It's the same forest from which the Turing family has always taken its lumber; thinner now than when the elder Turing was young, but still immense and imposing. What business could my mother have had in the forest? Corwin muses, expecting no reply. He doesn't get one - the forest is oppressively quiet, making everyone uneasy. There is no conversation to be had. Where as before Corwin seemed tired and irritated he was now alert - riding a second wind brought on by sheer anxiety.

The trail continues to be easy to follow even once the group is past the tree boarder. It continues to lead unerringly North and West another quarter mile or so. Progress is slow but steady, the act of tracking eating up time. At one point Hollister wonders aloud if Chandra could have even walked this far on her own, but Meri insists that the tracks were made by a small woman who was unsteady on her feet and since that description seems to go well with the petite, chronically ill woman who is no where to be found the group continues on.

So intent is Meri on the tracks that, as she slips between two trees ahead of the rest of the group, she hardly notices that the ground beneath her feet begins to crumble. Instead it falls to Todrik to grab the older dwarf and physically haul her back as her steps send handfuls of dirt spiraling off the side of a cliff hidden by the darkness in the forest - caused primarily by the trees, for at this point it's only a small time after noon.

Mrs Turing? calls Cecily into the darkness. Yes? returns another voice from the sink hole, instantly familiar to Todrik, Corwin and Hollister as Chandra. Yes, I'm down here! she calls more loudly. With a whispered prayer Hollister casts an easy spell on a near by pebble, making it glow with light. He passes it to Cecily - closest to the edge of the sinkhole - who drops it easily into the pit.

It falls, with a clatter, to the bottom, illuminating a small woman in thick furs that were, likely, quite fine this morning. Now they and the woman they clothe are torn and streaked in dirt and dried blood. One doesn't need Corwin's gift at healing to know the woman's leg shouldn't be able to bend at the angle it's at now. Her face is perhaps the least covered with dirt, but there is none at all in two vertical lines down her cheeks - there it has been washed away by tears, but she's not crying any longer. Oh thank the gods! Chandra exclaims. All told she's only about twenty feet from the top of the lip, but no one has brought any rope.

The first few moments pass in silence, neither of you entirely sure what to say and Aaren preoccupied serving breakfast in any case. By the time the food has been finished, though, the two of you are easily swapping stories about your families in a way that makes Psitta, at least, think that Aaren hasn't had anyone but his father to talk to in a long time.

Which worries her.

This human is only 18 or so years of age. Of course that means something different for a human than a gnome, but it's still really young. Even worried as she is, though, when Aaren says I'd love to stay in Juniper - the people are so nice, my father is buried here, and it's not like I have any other family in any case. But the only trade I know is, well, to trade. I'd have no way of supporting myself if I stayed Psitta catches herself completely off-guard when she offers I could take you on as an apprentice, if you like. She regrets it immediately, but Aaron seems too preoccupied thinking it over to notice her face change. Not only had she not planned on taking on an apprentice, but even if she had there were other young boys and girls in Juniper who had already asked - had been asking for a while now, even.

But then again, all of those applicants had mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, older siblings and older cousins who had good, solid trades to teach them even if tinkering hadn't worked out. Aaron didn't have any other prospects, not if he didn't want to spend his life journeying between the frontier and the main cities in his covered wagon which was a dangerous prospect, especially alone as he was now.

Besides, Psitta's home and workshop were large and big portions of it were unused. She needed help with some of the heavier materials anyways, and building a mechanical man was shaping up to be harder than she'd thought. She's all but talked herself back into it when Aaren replies I think I can do that. Thank you. The matter settled for now (there might be a mother or two upset with Psitta for taking this stranger over their own child, but they would understand when she explained) the two spend the rest of the day moving the young man into Psitta's abode. Word travels quickly and the first to arrive, rather than being angry at the gnome and her new apprentice, seem happy that the young man won't have to leave after all. They help move him into the home which, though large, has ceilings short enough to cause many of them to duck. The wonder with which they peer about makes Psitta wonder if seeing the inside of her workshop was their main motivation for offering to help, but anything truly confidential has already been secreted away and it's unlikely they'd understand what they were seeing in any case, so she is unconcerned.

Aaron is all but moved in as the sun begins to set. Neither he nor his new master notice the hoof beats at first, but they continue to get closer. Eventually four horsemen in armor lead by a man carrying a standard ride into the city. Unfortunately for Psitta and Aaron they happen to currently be the center of a small crowd - people who helped move Aaron in, lingering perhaps in hope of being fed for their troubles - and the man carrying the standard approaches.

[roll0]

I represent the Duke of Estland. He announces, solemnly. I demand to see here he checks a roll of parchment he had in a pouch on he belt Governor Erstwire and Father Hollister.

Phillip is convincing, especially for such a young man. But where even Merick is ready to lay down his weapons at this point, the soldiers seem to pay him no mind. Instead two of them approach, one in front of the half elf and the other cutting off his retreat, and swing. They seem to be looking to incapacitate and not kill, which hinders them somewhat as they have been trained as soldiers and not policemen.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

While the soldier to Phillips back swings wide with the flat of his blade and doesn't even make contact with his armor in the darkness, the man in front of him turns his blade backwards and knocks Phillip hard in the gut with the hilt of his blade. The blow is devastating, knocking the wind from the young man and all but causing him to double over in pain
(ooc: Inopportune critical hits! Angrycyc, your character takes 14 nonlethal damage.)

However, Merick continues to go unnoticed.

Ezeze
2014-05-30, 06:34 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

:smallbiggrin:

Smileybastard
2014-05-30, 10:02 PM
Merick

Merick sees that his young charge is not being attacked with lethal force sighs in relief. He lowers his bow. Now he can wait for the time to be right. Wait for them to sleep.

BramsesII
2014-05-31, 11:12 AM
Cecily

As much as I hate disobeying orders, I simply cannot leave an innocent soul in potential danger. And with Meri as a tracker it shouldn't take too long. With a bit of luck we'll be back to training in an hour or two. I pick up the practice swords and quietly follow the group. Let the dwarf walk on ahead for a while. I'll be watching our backs, make sure there's nothing out there to attack us from behind.

After a relatively slow trek we finally reach the place where Todrik's mother has fallen in some sort of hole. I curse inwardly, having forgotten to pack my rope in my equipment today. A soldier should always be prepared, I'll surely get a scolding from mother for this. I turn to Todrik's bookworm brother; their family estate is sure to have some rope somewhere. "Corwin, there is no way to get your mother out of there without a length of rope. Mrs Turing," I shout down the hole, "Can you see a way out from there?" As the woman takes a short while to respond - she's obviously looking around, which may be difficult in her position - I turn to Corwin and whisper to him. "We may need to get some rope. If so, you and I'll run back to your home and get some. It's only half a mile, we could be back within an hour if we move quickly."

Dr.Gunsforhands
2014-05-31, 01:40 PM
As much as Psitta has added on to her home over the years, she had never really accounted for housing Tall People like Aaren. It really was designed more for work than for entertaining. But, the fact remains that it is a big, sprawling area, so finding a space for him isn't too tough. "It looks like your first project as apprentice is going to be learning to raise the ceiling in here," she jokes.

During the move - it must have been around lunch time - Psitta excuses herself to her own bedroom, a curtained-off alcove that barely manages to contain her bed. There's a window on one wall, and the other two walls are filled with enough hooks to hold every article of clothing she owns. She kneels on her bed and rests her folded hands on the windowsill to pray that she and her new apprentice be prepared for this new part of their lives.

When half the town shows up to give their support, she's sure she's done the right thing. When dusk arrives and everything seems set for the night, she considers taking everyone involved to the tavern to celebrate, when suddenly, horsemen! The standard-bearer sees fit to direct the solemn demand specifically to the gnome and the young man.

"Of course," the gnome nods. "Welcome to Juniper... you there! Apollo!" She points to one of the local kids who helped Aaron move, known around town for being one of the best athletes. "Could you go fetch Lord Erstwire? Tell him that a messenger from the Duke is here with urgent business, and to meet us at the church."

The thought occurs to her that she could have taken an animal or vehicle to get the mayor, but his mansion isn't really far enough away to justify it. She returns her attention to the horsemen. "Come, we'll take you to the church; you can meet in Father Hollister's office. Can you say what this is about?"

AngryCyc
2014-06-01, 12:14 PM
Phillip commands his armor to change into concealing fog for him to take cover in, and withdraws from the enemies, running back towards some tree cover to catch his breath.