PDA

View Full Version : Lesser Vampires?

atemu1234
2014-04-25, 06:47 PM
Is there a sister template to vampire (as in, still drinks blood, etc) that has less than a +8 LA?

KillianHawkeye
2014-04-25, 07:07 PM
Well there is the Half-Vampire in Libris Mortis. Level Adjustment +2, I believe.

Callin
2014-04-25, 07:07 PM
3rd party but Fang and Fury is what you are looking for. Or the Savage Progression Vampire from the WoTC website.

Zanos
2014-04-25, 07:40 PM
Vampire Spawn are created when vampires "turn" creatures with less than five HD, but it's a separate creature from the base creature and is not playable.

Honest Tiefling
2014-04-25, 08:59 PM
Maybe go with some sort of home-brewed Savage Species progression, or vampire prestige class? Or just slap on the bits of the vampire you like and tone down the other stuff. What sort of Vampire are you hoping for, by the way? As in, what do you want out of the monster, given the number of interpretations and similar monsters running around.

LOTRfan
2014-04-25, 09:02 PM
Vampire Spawn are created when vampires "turn" creatures with less than five HD, but it's a separate creature from the base creature and is not playable.

Libris Mortis lists Vampire Spawn as ECL 8 (4 HD, +4 LA). Not exactly optimal, but perhaps little better than an adding eight levels without any increase in hit die.

I don't recall much about Fang and Fury (with the exception that I distinctly did not like it), but I think the race "Vampire Scion" comes from that book. It's supposed to be a playable form of vampire, with an LA of +2. With that being said, Half-Vampire (also LA +2) is the better option.

The Dhampir (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-dhampir) in Pathfinder might be what you are looking for; they're not undead, but they are the descendants of vampires and humans. Their alternate racial traits can make them more vampiric, as well. Before I saw the Dhampir, I converted the Vryloka (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10824678&postcount=1) race from 4e D&D to 3.5e. Perhaps that will interest you.

Zanos
2014-04-25, 09:04 PM
Libris Mortis lists Vampire Spawn as ECL 8 (4 HD, +4 LA). Not exactly optimal, but perhaps little better than an adding eight levels without any increase in hit die.
So it does. I'd imagine that makes them eligible for character class advancement as well.

My players are going to enjoy one of their upcoming encounters.

Callin
2014-04-25, 09:13 PM

I don't recall much about Fang and Fury (with the exception that I distinctly did not like it), but I think the race "Vampire Scion" comes from that book. It's supposed to be a playable form of vampire, with an LA of +2. With that being said, Half-Vampire (also LA +2) is the better option.

The Dhampir (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-dhampir) in Pathfinder might be what you are looking for; they're not undead, but they are the descendants of vampires and humans. Their alternate racial traits can make them more vampiric, as well. Before I saw the Dhampir, I converted the Vryloka (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10824678&postcount=1) race from 4e D&D to 3.5e. Perhaps that will interest you.

You would be correct about the Vampire Scion. I like it so YMMV I guess.

LOTRfan
2014-04-25, 09:24 PM
You would be correct about the Vampire Scion. I like it so YMMV I guess.

It's also been a while since I've read it, so perhaps I am judging it a bit too harshly.

ShurikVch
2014-04-26, 03:54 AM
Katane (half-vampire variant from Dragon #313) have LA +4

Vampiric dragon (Draconomicon) have LA +5
(Funny fact: the same LA +5 listed in Monster Manual for the "Sample Vampire", 5th-Level Human Fighter)

Finally, there are Sharjani from Kingdoms of Kalamar. They are not undead (humanoids or monstrous humanoids), but still drink blood, create spawns, vulnerable to sunlight and running water. LA is +1 for Least Sharjan, +2 for Lesser Sharjan, +3 for Greater Sharjan and +5 for Sharjan Lord