PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Tripper & Lockdown

Smorgonoffz
2014-04-25, 07:00 PM
Another string of random questions:

i want to make a tripper lockdown character for my PC build archive, about this build the only thing i'm certain it's a requirement is EWP:Spiked chain and a race like goliath.

I don't know which classes/prc or feats are the best suited for the build, any tips/help is appreciated

NoACWarrior
2014-04-25, 07:15 PM

i want to make a tripper lockdown character for my PC build archive, about this build the only thing i'm certain it's a requirement is EWP:Spiked chain and a race like goliath.

I don't know which classes/prc or feats are the best suited for the build, any tips/help is appreciated

Theres the jack be quick build somewhere. I personally don't like it but it is a pretty solid lockdown build.

Studoku
2014-04-25, 07:25 PM
Horizon Tripper's fun.

Azoth
2014-04-25, 07:33 PM
There is a fighter 20 gatling gun tripper build that uses a Kusarigama for rediculous returns.

Let me try and throw something together real quick:

Goliath Barbarian2 (pounce, mountain rage, Impr trip)/Fighter2/Psywar2/Crusader2/Warmind10/X2

Feats:
Flaw: Wolf Lodge Berserker
Flaw: EWP: Spiked Chain
1: Combat Reflexes
Barb2: Imp Trip
Ftr1: Power Attack
3: Large and in Charge
Ftr2: Stand Still
Psywar1: Hold The Line
Pswar2: Free
6: Iron Heart Aura
9: Stormguard Warrior
12: Robilar's Gambit
15 Defensive Sweep
18: free

Smorgonoffz
2014-04-25, 08:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for their answers :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile:.

Where i can find the horizon and jack be quick builds?

Also any bworking build focused on spiked chain?.

Are improved trip and disarm useful?

Deophaun
2014-04-25, 08:40 PM
Goliath + Improved Trip + Knockback + Dungeoncrasher = Hilarity. I suggest going Crusader afterwards for thicket of blades, plus some of the Stone Dragon maneuvers for things like overwhelming mountain strike, because immobilizing someone after you've already tripped him and sent him flying across the battlefield and into a wall is a lot of insult added to injury.

Also, if you can, use Unearthed Arcana's weapon group proficiencies instead of normal proficiencies. Take "Flails and Chains" and "Exotic Weapons," and save yourself a feat.

Edit: Oh, and you'll want to get Shock Trooper as well: bowling with mooks never gets old.

Azoth
2014-04-25, 08:45 PM
Improved Disarm is somewhat campaign dependant. If you fight mostly humanoids/monstous humanoids/outsider/ect that use weapons it can be helpful, but if not then it is a waste of a feat.

Tripping is more useful, but runs into similar problems of needing to constantly get stronger and larger to be able to do your job. It is also harder to pull off on flying enemies.

Horizon Tripper: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?80415-The-Horizon-Tripper-(Core-Melee-Build)

Jack B Quick: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1062806

Gattling Tripper: http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/891756

Still not sure what you are looking for. Lockdown/crackdown builds are generally creating an area that no one can do anything in without you smashing their face in. Shocktrooper/Combat Brute enemy bowling isn't a lockdown build as it focuses on smashing enemies across the field and keeping them away from both you and your allies.

Now if you want a Bowling build I have a personal favorite that also works as a debuffer.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-04-25, 10:42 PM

Don't be so sure about either of those....

Guisarme with armor spikes or whatever works fine for most people and saves a feat.

Goliath needs Barbarian to actually get reach and being monstrous humanoid locks him out of being buffed by Enlarge Person, he has to rely on the psionic power Expansion (and at ML 3+ instead of CL 1, due to Expansion only lasting 1 round/level unless you augment it to 3 points for min/level). And while enlarge person comes in cheap 50 gp potion form (or even cheaper 750 gp wand form), expansion would have to come from a psionic tattoo, which would cost 2x normal price due to it normally being a personal power (also why a dorje won't work), so... 300 gp, I think?

I'd only use Goliath if you want Knockback. It is a very nice feat, for sure (I also do love bowling with mooks w/ Shock Trooper and it). But otherwise...it's not worth the +1 LA, you're better off with Water Orc (preferably of the Dragonborn variety) for +4 Str and no level adjustment. Or be a changeling (see below).

For feats, you want Combat Reflexes, Imp. Trip, Stand Still, maybe Knockdown if the DM allows it. Ideally you want Thicket of Blades stance. Getting bonuses to reach is awesome, too. Changeling opens up the Warshaper prestige class for +4 Str/Con and +5 ft reach by the 3rd level of the class, among other goodies. There is also two feats, both with a fairly worthless pre-req feat before it, to get +5 ft reach each. Those are Abberant Reach and Willing Deformity (Tall).
Another boon for lockdown is the Imperious Command feat. I like to combine it with Intimidating Strike feat and the Never Outnumbered skill trick to hit and damage a guy 20 ft away and then make him and everyone else within 10 ft cower for 1 round.

There's a few other gems around. Like...the Stone Dragon strike Crushing Vise drops all of a foe's speeds to 0 for 1 round (so he can't leave his space) and gives no save to resist.

Smorgonoffz
2014-04-26, 08:02 AM
@Azoth
Now if you want a Bowling build I have a personal favorite that also works as a debuffer. .

what do you mean with that

Azoth
2014-04-26, 08:05 AM
The build's main focus is to smack enemies all over the room while making them nauseated from the ride. It isn't really a control build at all, just something I came up with a ways back for fun.

Smorgonoffz
2014-04-26, 09:04 AM
@Azoth: care to elaborate more on the build?

Azoth
2014-04-26, 04:31 PM
Human Dungeon Crasher Fighter6/Warblade2/Psywar2

Feats:
Flaw: Jotunbrud
Flaw: Power Attack
Human: Improved Bullrush
1st: Improved Sunder
Ftr1: Weapon Focus ()
3: Cleave
Ftr4: Three Mountain Style
6: Shock Trooper
9: Combat Brute
Psywar1: Knockback
Psywar2: Knockdown

You use Warblade's Weapon Aptitude to treat whatever weapon you prefer as one required for Three Mountain Style.

This guy hits an enemy Power Attacking for atleast -5. When he hits them, he triggers Knockdown and gets to trip them. This fulfills the second hit necessary for Three Mountain Style Forcing them to save vs Nauseated DC 10+ 1/2HD+Str mod. You also use this hit for Knockback, triggering the Domino Bull Rush ability from Combat Brute. Now pick his buddies or the wall to send him flying into for full Dungeon Crasher Bullrush Damage.

OldTrees1
2014-04-26, 05:07 PM
Something funny you can do:
Dragonborn Goliath Barbarian(Mountain Rage, Spirit Lion, Wolf Totem) 2 / Fighter 2 (Dungeoncrasher)
Dragonborn removes powerful build but Mountain Rage gives it back and more.