PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Spell Level

Afgncaap5
2014-04-25, 10:53 PM
I've seen some talk about metamagic feats that reduce the spell level of a spell, but those mostly seem to be homebrewed things. Are there any official sources that do things along those lines?

I ask because I was looking at the Concurrent Infusions infusion in Magic of Eberron. While the infusion is clearly meant to be a way of rapidly buffing a party member (or yourself), the potential for weaponizing infusions against an enemy by casting three at a time seemed too good to pass up. Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any 1st level infusions that seem directly offensive (like heat metal and chill metal at 2nd level). Theoretically you could use Inflict Light Damage three times, but only if you're fighting a non-golem construct.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-25, 10:56 PM
Sanctum Spell- Complete Arcane.
"A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal."

Afgncaap5
2014-04-25, 11:05 PM
That's... pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Granted, now I just need to worry about the lowered DC, but a DC lowered by just one shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-04-26, 01:44 AM
This (http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm)

72 manifester levels, and sanctum spell, and you can cast 9th level spells as 0th level spells.

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-26, 01:46 AM
This (http://www.angelfire.com/pro/demon_1/prc_mind_mage.htm)

72 manifester levels, and sanctum spell, and you can cast 9th level spells as 0th level spells.

How do you even get it that high? :smalleek:

Gemini476
2014-04-26, 07:34 AM
How do you even get it that high? :smalleek:

Well. The Mind Mage capstone is +10ML, so you have a base of 30ML with Practiced Manifester and another Theurge class. Ioun stone for +1ML, Beads of Karma for +4. That's +35.

I'm sure there are some ways to do it if you use more sources. Improved Overchannel is an [Epic] feat that lets you double your Manifester Level, for instance.

The real answer, however, is the Power Link Quori Embedded Shard. That's +2PP augmented for each one, and it explicitly can exceed your Manifester Level.
You can have a number of shards embedded equal to your Manifester Level.

So 72PP is what we want to hit - take away two thirds for the Shards and you get 24ML as the target. That's ridiculously easy to hit - just UMD a Bead of Karma.

Afgncaap5
2014-04-26, 01:27 PM
Mind Mage looks fun, but I've already got a good number of levels of Artificer. I can get a feat when I level up, but I'm not going to break the character stride. Thanks, though!

Raishoiken
2014-04-28, 10:14 AM
Sanctum Spell- Complete Arcane.
"A sanctum spell has an effective spell level 1 higher than its normal level if cast in your sanctum (see below), but if not cast in the sanctum, the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal."

the "effective spell level" part raises a flag for me. doesn't the "effective" part just deal with DC and what not? i think it still takes up the same slot when cast, it's just its variables would be different.. right? i have a feeling this has already been discussed at length

edit: the feat says it's cast using the same level spell slot

lower spell slot use is the goal right, or am i missing something...

Doc_Maynot
2014-04-28, 10:40 AM
The goal is not slots.
I'm no artificer major but it would seem they wish to add metamagic to infusions. (Not sure if one can but the question was for metamagic that lowered spell level so I answered)
Namely through Concurrent Infusions which is a 4th level infusion that casts three 1st level infusions (Ignores slots), which they wish to use 2nd level Sanctum infusions with so as to work more offensively.