PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed So i have a a question that i can't find an answer to

TheDimilich
2014-04-26, 12:30 AM
Could make an intelligent item with multiple minds? I was thinking of making an evil character who imprisons souls in his staff, if it helps the character is insane.

Falcon X
2014-04-26, 01:12 AM
This is a great idea for an item, though I'm not sure there is currently anything out there for it.

Here's what I would to:

1. The only built-in way I can think of to attach souls to your staff is to have the staff be able to hold many gems. Possibly it's covered in gems, like this: http://www.crystalskulls.com/images-sale/wands/2013-03-12-015-IMG_8124.jpg
Then cast "Trap the Soul" spell on people to trap them in the gems.
- If the staff is already intelligent, it would make sense for these grafted souls to have some influence on the item's mind.

2. Make the item intelligent with Item Familiar (UA). It's a plus if you can get DM approval for one of the item's powers to be that it can be a container for souls. If that works, you can stop here.

3. Make it a Weapon of Legacy. If you really want to make this item awesome.
- Get an intelligent staff that can hold souls using one or both of the above ideas.
- Make a Weapon of Legacy out of it.
- Make all of the Rituals of the Weapon of Legacy effect the intelligent item itself. One of those rituals being that all souls that the staff acquires are merged into one consciousness. The ritual would effectively be making the staff's intelligence susceptible to dominance.
- Make the other rituals things that contribute to the flavor that you want.

iZgor
2014-04-26, 01:17 AM
Or you could stick the skull of a demi lich on top of a stick and then all you have to worry about is not dying! :xykon:

But for for real, you need a staff encrusted with magic jar gems. You just body jump from host to host leaving their souls in the gem. I you never leave your host/gem and go back to your original body they are in there permanently. There is 1 problem though. It would be a real bummer to lose the staff or have the spell dispelled. True res or your original body would be needed for a friend to bring you back. That is if your character has friends considering his habit of imprisoning souls. one option to save yourself from being killed by dispel magic would be to have a backup magic jar to go to, or several permanencied gems. this type of abuse (not really abuse IMO) of the spell is a topic of heated debate among my group in the past. So may want to establish exact rules/house rules before you do it. It is simple though and all you need to accomplish the idea of a multi sentient weapon is for the staff to be as a keeper of the gems. Try to get a soul burn power for it like any known arcane spell at the cost the gems. Cool idea. Best of luck, we all need it and always go into the menacing crypt "IN THE NAME OF ADVENTURE!"

TheDimilich
2014-04-26, 01:29 AM
This is a great idea for an item, though I'm not sure there is currently anything out there for it.

Here's what I would to:

1. The only built-in way I can think of to attach souls to your staff is to have the staff be able to hold many gems. Possibly it's covered in gems, like this: http://www.crystalskulls.com/images-sale/wands/2013-03-12-015-IMG_8124.jpg
Then cast "Trap the Soul" spell on people to trap them in the gems.
- If the staff is already intelligent, it would make sense for these grafted souls to have some influence on the item's mind.

2. Make the item intelligent with Item Familiar (UA). It's a plus if you can get DM approval for one of the item's powers to be that it can be a container for souls. If that works, you can stop here.

3. Make it a Weapon of Legacy. If you really want to make this item awesome.
- Get an intelligent staff that can hold souls using one or both of the above ideas.
- Make a Weapon of Legacy out of it.
- Make all of the Rituals of the Weapon of Legacy effect the intelligent item itself. One of those rituals being that all souls that the staff acquires are merged into one consciousness. The ritual would effectively be making the staff's intelligence susceptible to dominance.
- Make the other rituals things that contribute to the flavor that you want.

Those are great idea's thank you so much

Darrin
2014-04-26, 07:09 AM
Double weapon, each end gets enchanted separately. So you could make both ends intelligent.

Azoth
2014-04-26, 07:42 AM
You could always just encrust your staff with the Psicrystals from slain psionic beings. They have no cost at all, grant you no benefit (since you aren't their creator), all have different personalities, and can speak verbally or telepathically to harass you.

The little suckers are weak as hell too so fitting one into a jewel bed on your staff and then clasping it in place should suffice.

While expensive, another thing would be to make the staff out of Thinaun from Complete Warrior. Each end of your staff would be able to hold the soul of the last creature that died while touching it.

Next, make both ends intelligent.

You can have 4 true sentiences within it and as many fragmented consciousnesses as you and your DM deem suitable (from embeded Psicrystals).

shortround
2014-04-26, 08:25 AM
Or you could stick the skull of a demi lich on top of a stick and then all you have to worry about is not dying! :xykon:

But for for real, you need a staff encrusted with magic jar gems. You just body jump from host to host leaving their souls in the gem. I you never leave your host/gem and go back to your original body they are in there permanently. There is 1 problem though. It would be a real bummer to lose the staff or have the spell dispelled. True res or your original body would be needed for a friend to bring you back. That is if your character has friends considering his habit of imprisoning souls. one option to save yourself from being killed by dispel magic would be to have a backup magic jar to go to, or several permanencied gems. this type of abuse (not really abuse IMO) of the spell is a topic of heated debate among my group in the past. So may want to establish exact rules/house rules before you do it. It is simple though and all you need to accomplish the idea of a multi sentient weapon is for the staff to be as a keeper of the gems. Try to get a soul burn power for it like any known arcane spell at the cost the gems. Cool idea. Best of luck, we all need it and always go into the menacing crypt "IN THE NAME OF ADVENTURE!"
I'm sorry, but I've never understood how people use Magic Jar this way. Could someone explain it to me? I don't really understand how you can trap multiple souls if you always have to return to the magic jar gem (returning the target to their body) before you can try to possess a different body. Do you have multiple instances of the spell running at once?

Darrin
2014-04-26, 09:17 AM
I'm sorry, but I've never understood how people use Magic Jar this way. Could someone explain it to me? I don't really understand how you can trap multiple souls if you always have to return to the magic jar gem (returning the target to their body) before you can try to possess a different body. Do you have multiple instances of the spell running at once?

I'm not sure if it's the same trick, but using Magic Jar to swap your mind into a new body is usually referred to by Doc Roc as his Commodore Guff trick, but everybody else calls it "Doc Roc's Magic Jar Trick (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?200516-3-x-I-have-brought-you-Devastation)".

Loxagn
2014-04-26, 09:25 AM
Honestly, I don't think there's a rule that says you can't simply refluff an Intelligent Item's 'Intelligence' to be multiple minds. Whether you want this to be a Hivemind mentality that makes organized suggestions through various voices or a screaming Cacophany of anarchic voices a la Twitch Plays Pokémon is up to you. It's pure roleplay.

As for having mechanical benefits from that, well... That might be trickier.

iZgor
2014-04-27, 09:33 PM

You have to have a new magic jar gem to possess a new body. The spell only ends if you return to your host body or the spell ends in a magic blocking way such as dispel magic. An anti magic field is kinda sketchy btw, but my opinion is that if the anti magic field spell ends you would be pulled back to the gem since it only suppresses, not destroys. So if you are walking around in a host body (a stolen one) and wish to acquire a new body make a new magic jar. The new magic jar will pull you in without ending the other magic jar because you still have not returned to your body. From this new magic jar you can perform your mental attack on your new host. If you win you simply walk off with a new body. If you are repelled you go back to the gem. to go back to the previous host body you will need to transfer from your new gem to the previous gem and then to the body. You cannot go from gem to a body not tied to it, but you can transfer your consciousness between the gems. Undoubtedly someone has a different opinion on this matter but this is my opinion and I have seen no rule to deny using this method nor is it game unbalancing. The only real boon to doing this is if you carry a body with you (say in a portable hole) from a previous host or you original body under the spell gentle repose. If you go to your original body
all instances of the spell are undone and all consciousnesses return to their bodies or if they are out of range simply are destroyed. If they return to a destroyed or rotted away body they also die. (this goes for you as well) the spell transfers consciousnesses, it does not animate the bodies.