PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help with my Imp Familiar.

Tenjou Mitchell
2014-04-26, 12:58 AM
I was hoping someone could help Me with this Imp Familiar for this Hexblade that I am playing in a campaign. I have never used an Imp before so I was looking for tactics that the familiar and myself could use as well as gear that I can get him. Also help on his alternate forms would be appreciated.

Know(Nothing)
2014-04-26, 01:27 AM
Keeping it in Raven form will let it talk to you without looking as suspicious.

If it's in combat, it should be invisible. If you have time, charge it with a touch spell and let it invisibly smack someone with it.

It has Detect Magic at will, so keep that running to spot any number of issues-- traps, secret doors, invisible enemies, whatever.

Falcon X
2014-04-26, 01:43 AM
Can we call this topic "Pimp my Imp" ;)

A few thoughts:
- Wands. An imp is fully capable of using wands. Utilize this to effectively have a second caster.
- Be very careful of any agreements you make with the Imp. He's Lawful Neutral. As it stands, you own it, but don't think it won't try to find a way to become the master.
- Your Imp comes with all the perks and connections. If you are the particular brand of Evil that's inclined to, you can use him to sell souls, get demonic grafts, acquire rare spells, or other fun things you can find in Fiendish Codex 2.
- Your alternate forms largely depends on what rulebook you are using. Make the decision with your DM. If it's straight from the Monster Manual, you can be anything that the Polymorph spell will allow (excludes spell-like abilities). If you're working from the SRD, then you are limited to one or two forms. I would recommend Raven and Monstrous Spider.
- Assuming it works like Polymorph, find creatures with high Dex to take advantage of Weapon Finesse.
- This guy can use Detect Magic at will. I would have him use that all day every day to point out magical traps, magical items, or stealthy wizards. Note: The imp is devious, make sure that you require him to report findings to you immediately, or the Imp might use it to his own advantage, or not tell you at all.

Jeff the Green
2014-04-26, 01:55 AM
You're sinking some cross-class ranks into UMD, right? Give it some wands of short-duration buff spells like shield of faith to use while you put the hurt on your enemies. Also, in case you don't have a LN, LE, or NE party member, it can activate an Enveloping Pit, possibly the best extra dimensional storage available.

See if you can retrain/psychic reformation/DCFS his feats away. Draconic Aura (vigor) for infinite out of combat healing, Protection Devotion, Bind Vestige/Practiced Binder, and Hidden Talent are all good choices.

Since you're a hexblade it'll have decent HP and BAB. Consider getting Enspell Familiar from Dragon Compendium so it can fight along side you without having to literally be along side you. Being an outsider, it has some nifty alter self forms available.

Graypairofsocks
2014-04-26, 08:41 AM
You could possibly get a bow for the imp to wield.

- Be very careful of any agreements you make with the Imp. He's Lawful Neutral. As it stands, you own it, but don't think it won't try to find a way to become the master.
I am pretty sure that the Imp is Lawful Evil.

- Your Imp comes with all the perks and connections. If you are the particular brand of Evil that's inclined to, you can use him to sell souls, get demonic grafts, acquire rare spells, or other fun things you can find in Fiendish Codex 2.
I think the imp might also be able to help the Pc not start as a lemure if he dies(this most likely won't figure into a campaign however).

Note: The imp is devious, make sure that you require him to report findings to you immediately, or the Imp might use it to his own advantage, or not tell you at all.
This honestly depends on your DM some might allow you to control the Imp.

Dimcair
2014-04-26, 11:04 AM
Can we call this topic "Pimp my Imp" ;)

BAHahahahahahaaha :smallbiggrin:
Oh *looksaroundinthedeadsilentlibary* ... silence, right.

Related question. Is there any way to make the IMP use wands reliable?
Assuming I am a Wizard 7.

UMD would be 10 -1 (cuz you prolly dumped cha) +2 Cha from the Imp = 11. So the little bastard has still to roll a 9 or higher, right?

Cheers,

Dim

Falcon X
2014-04-26, 02:49 PM
I am pretty sure that the Imp is Lawful Evil.
Oops. That's what I meant. Don't know why I typed LN.

This honestly depends on your DM some might allow you to control the Imp.
Oh yeah, you do control the Imp. But you have to figure out if it's a:
A. Mind Slave: Serving you without question,
B. Normal Slave: It has to follow your orders but isn't required to think towards your benefit
C. Friend: He helps because he wants to.

I suspect the natural place for an Imp is B. It has to follow your orders to the letter, but is free past that point. Meaning that you have to be careful with how you word your orders.
However, your DM might think otherwise, so make sure you know how he views it.

Eldest
2014-04-26, 02:58 PM
BAHahahahahahaaha :smallbiggrin:
Oh *looksaroundinthedeadsilentlibary* ... silence, right.

Related question. Is there any way to make the IMP use wands reliable?
Assuming I am a Wizard 7.

UMD would be 10 -1 (cuz you prolly dumped cha) +2 Cha from the Imp = 11. So the little bastard has still to roll a 9 or higher, right?

Cheers,

Dim

Your stats don't matter for the imp.

Graypairofsocks
2014-04-26, 04:00 PM
Oh yeah, you do control the Imp. But you have to figure out if it's a:
A. Mind Slave: Serving you without question,
B. Normal Slave: It has to follow your orders but isn't required to think towards your benefit
C. Friend: He helps because he wants to.

I suspect the natural place for an Imp is B. It has to follow your orders to the letter, but is free past that point. Meaning that you have to be careful with how you word your orders.
However, your DM might think otherwise, so make sure you know how he views it.

I think there is also as an evil advise giver(his advice is meant to corrupt you), although it would probably fall under C.

Tenjou Mitchell
2014-04-26, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys, this is a huge help.