PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Permanent boosts to Caster Level

Pinkie Pyro
2014-04-26, 02:14 AM
Does anyone have any good boosts to caster level?

ideally they should last forever, but so long as i can hit the goal of 72 caster levels, and the effect lasts an hour or more, everything works.

currently, we have:
effective levels of wizard: +17
practiced spell caster: +3
twin wells: +10
orange ioun stone: +1
ring of arcane might: +1
Greater Channel the Mishtai: +1
consumptive field: *1/2
tome of the stilled tongue:+2
spellgifted:+1
magic tatoo:+1
spell enchancer:+2
mystic surge:+1
suffer the flesh: +4

which gives a total of 72.

Zanos
2014-04-26, 02:27 AM
Create Magic Tatoo: +1
Consumptive Field: *1.5
Circle Magic(Granted by several PrCs, notably Red Wizard): Sets CL to up to 40.

Limited wish for consumptive field and circle magic alone will get your CL up to 60.

Consumptive field is normally 1 round/level, but I'm sure with a build this cheesy you could perform some shenanigans to persist it.

Norin
2014-04-26, 09:53 AM
Why 72? Just curious.

Chronos
2014-04-26, 10:14 AM
A Bead of Karma (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) is +4, but it only lasts for ten minutes per day, and you'd have to jump through some hoops to use it. The most straightforward way to qualify would be to get a cleric ally to cast Bestow with Spell Ability on you (this only needs to be done once), and then make a DC 20 UMD check to activate a spell trigger item. Even if this isn't directly useful for your purposes, due to the short duration, it should still increase the effectiveness of [Greater] Consumptive Field.

Bluydee
2014-04-26, 10:16 AM
Be an Ilithid Savant through wish or something. Eat spellcaster brains. Assume you eat Wizard 20s, that is 60 levels for free.

JeminiZero
2014-04-26, 10:27 AM
This thread (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1054346) should be of interest.

Reserve Feats grant competence bonus for spells of a particular descriptor

Greater Channel the Mishtai [MoI] lasts for exactly 1 hour, but you could also extend it.

Tome of Stilled Tongue [MiC] can raise CL for a full day, if you can use it as a relic.

Complete Champion has special holy symbols that raise CL for a particular school/domain.

Aharon
2014-04-26, 10:32 AM
Disregard this, ninja'd...

Limited wish for consumptive field and circle magic alone will get your CL up to 60.

Consumptive field is normally 1 round/level, but I'm sure with a build this cheesy you could perform some shenanigans to persist it.

I don't think you can wish for getting effects of PrCs that only work by also having other casters around.

There are several that either aren't permanent or not for all spell schools:
Trait Spellgifted (+1 CL for one school)
Create magic tattoo (+1 CL for 24 hours)
Suffer the flesh (+5 CL for 1 round, Permanent Spell can be applied, deals Constitution damage)
Master Spellthief cheese
lot's and lots of feats giving +1/+2 CL for specific spells or schools only
Reserves of Strength (+1 to +3 in return for stun/damage, may uncap CL, dependent on reading)
Those are just some of the top of my head.

Zanos
2014-04-26, 10:41 AM
Disregard this, ninja'd...

I don't think you can wish for getting effects of PrCs that only work by also having other casters around.

There are several that either aren't permanent or not for all spell schools:
Trait Spellgifted (+1 CL for one school)
Create magic tattoo (+1 CL for 24 hours)
Suffer the flesh (+5 CL for 1 round, Permanent Spell can be applied, deals Constitution damage)
Master Spellthief cheese
lot's and lots of feats giving +1/+2 CL for specific spells or schools only
Reserves of Strength (+1 to +3 in return for stun/damage, may uncap CL, dependent on reading)
Those are just some of the top of my head.
I was only suggesting limited wish to replicate consumptive field.

Pinkie Pyro
2014-04-26, 11:43 AM

helpful, but from my reading, 60 would be the highest you could get from using circle magic here. consumptive field does look incredibly helpful, though, thank you.

ericgrau
2014-04-26, 02:17 PM
A Bead of Karma (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) is +4, but it only lasts for ten minutes per day, and you'd have to jump through some hoops to use it. The most straightforward way to qualify would be to get a cleric ally to cast Bestow with Spell Ability on you (this only needs to be done once), and then make a DC 20 UMD check to activate a spell trigger item. Even if this isn't directly useful for your purposes, due to the short duration, it should still increase the effectiveness of [Greater] Consumptive Field.
Odd that link goes to a strand of prayer beads. I don't see any easy way to buy a bead of karma.

I find it funny that everyone wants to buy a bead of karma buy itself, but the only way to get it is to make a 45,800 gp strand of prayer beads by itself and then discard the other beads. The other removed beads can't be sold, they're destroyed. So who is blowing 22,900 gp plus xp to craft all these strands, destroying most of the beads, and then selling the karma beads for 20,000 gp to munchkins? I would think instead you'd get a lot of people who said "Can I please just have the bead of karma", and then the shopkeep removes the bead and it gets destroyed. Followed by much swearing.

So you should find tons and tons of strands of prayer beads missing only the bead of karma :smallbiggrin:. Sold at a discount because no one wants them. Right next to the way overstocked and unsold 10 foot poles made from half ladders. "Eventually I'll make a fortune", the shopkeep says.

Ahem, sorry, tangent. +4 caster level from strand of prayer beads. Carry on.

zingbobco000
2014-05-04, 03:01 PM
Be a dragonspawn, kobold, loredrake, GRoDP, that's 4 levels right there. (take the spellhoarding psychosis)