PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying SCP Foundation system choice and Pelgrane Press products

Zejety
2014-04-26, 05:35 AM
Hi playgrounders,

As per the necromancy rules, I create this new thread after finding this old one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?312503-SCP-Foundation-What-system-to-use) on Google.
I too am interested in DMing some games in the SCP Foundation setting and have been looking for a fitting system.
My intention is for the players' objective to be the tracking, acquiring and retrieving of Anomalies.

I expect combat to be rare but meaningful when it happens. It should not be freeform (that won't work with my intended group) but allow players to get creative.

I have never tried the Gumshoe system but Trail of Cthulhu was recommended quit a few times in that old thread and sounds interesting enough. I'd prefer a modern system though and don't know how easily I portable ToC is to modern days. I have also seen that Pelgrane offers a couple more Gumshoe-based cosmic horror systems, Fear Itself, Night's Black Agents and The Esoterrorists. Especially the latter was only briefly mentioned in the thread I linked but sounds like it may be good fit.

Anybody else played some of these systems and can judge if they would serve my purpose best?

Thanks in Advance!

TiaC
2014-04-26, 05:40 AM
If you were running a game for D-class employees, I'd tell you to use Paranoia.

Tetraplex
2014-04-27, 03:00 PM
If you were running a game for D-class employees, I'd tell you to use Paranoia.

I'm not overly familiar with Paranoia (Listened to a couple of podcasts where they played it) beyond the basics, but considering the way the Foundation is run I would actually incorporate elements of the former even if you don't use the system itself. The impersonal nature of both settings, the levels of authorization, and I wouldn't be shocked to read a tale where they've got clones of the really important researchers.

Kaun
2014-04-27, 07:14 PM
Yeah any lite rules system is probably good. I can imagine there would be a high mortality rate for a game based on SCP.

Gumshoe is a good suggestion