PDA

View Full Version : Whirlwind Attack for a ranged character?

Quietus
2007-02-09, 08:12 PM
I've been thinking about this on and off for a while now, and I've been thinking - why not? Sure, the Arcane Archer has a similar ability, but they also come with all the various little things like imbue arrow, enchant arrow, etc. Why not build it into a feat like Whirlwind Attack is?

I'm thinking :

Storm of Arrows [General]

Prereq : Dex 19, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Improved Rapid shot, Manyshot or Quick Draw, Base Attack bonus +8

Effect : One per day for every five levels a character has, as a full round action, they may fire a storm of arrows, striking once at each creature within 30 feet (up to a maximum number of targets equal to 1/2 character level). None of these arrows may deal precision-based damage, but all are fired at your full base attack bonus. If you attempt to use this feat more than once in an encounter, make a DC (15 + 5 for each other time you've fired this encounter) fortitude save or become fatigued as the effort of drawing and firing that many arrows in a given period of time strains the muscles of your firing arm.

Any tweaks that anyone could suggest?

Arceliar
2007-02-09, 08:24 PM
There's Greater Manyshot (file:///home/arceliar/www/www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot) and Improved Manyshot (file:///home/arceliar/www/www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedManyshot), though Improved Manyshot is an epic feat. There's also Swarm of Arrows (file:///home/arceliar/www/www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#swarmOfArrows) while we're on the subject of epic feats...

Greater Manyshot in particular seems like a potentially viable replacement to what you're talking about, or at least a starting point for a non-epic Swarm of Arrows like feat.

Quietus
2007-02-09, 09:13 PM
True, but which book is Greater Manyshot in? This could be altered fairly easily by replacing Improved Rapid Shot with Weapon Focus (bow used), and remain all-core base. Not everyone can count on getting into Epic, after all...

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-09, 09:17 PM
Ermm, theres an Epic feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#swarmOfArrows) that does something like this, only better. But then, its Epic, add this feat as a prereq and call it Improved Storm of Arrows.

:edit: the feat was linked earlier in the thread, I saw the first 2 links in the post and pretty much skipped the rest.

oriong
2007-02-09, 09:17 PM
Expanded Psionics handbook I believe.

Quietus
2007-02-09, 09:25 PM
Neo; I like your idea! After all, look how much more powerful Swarm of Arrows is compared to, say, Whirlwind Attack. Whirlwind attack = one attack on anything within 5 feet (more, I suppose, if you've got a reach weapon) and requires 5 feats burnt. Swarm costs 3, and hits everything in 30 feet?

Oriong - perhaps you should remember not everyone has every book, and elaborate?

Ramza00
2007-02-09, 09:34 PM
How about the Ranger 3rd lvl spell in the Spell Compedium called Arrow Storm. It gives more or less what you are looking for ;)

oriong
2007-02-09, 09:38 PM
Oriong - perhaps you should remember not everyone has every book, and elaborate?

That was meant to be in response to your question of where greater manyshot is, simu-posted by neo-phyte. It's also in the SRD.

Quietus
2007-02-09, 11:02 PM
Ahh, my mistake - sorry Oriong.

Ramza - I suppose, if I had a copy of the Spell Compendium, that would be helpful. Haha.

PinkysBrain
2007-02-09, 11:05 PM
It's in Complete Adventurer too.

Ramza00
2007-02-09, 11:59 PM
Arrow Storm - Transmutation
You make one ranged attack against each fow within one range increment.

(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786926538/realmshelps-20/)
3rd lvl Ranger Masters of the Wild
4th lvl Ranger Complete Adventurer
3rd lvl Ranger Spell Compedium

Quietus
2007-02-10, 12:02 AM
Wow, that's... pretty freaking sweet. Get a nice bow and stand in the middle of a small army, wouldn't take long to cut them all down. And since my DM has a thing against the Complete books (he considers them all to be pure one-upmanship), it'd qualify as a 3rd level spell in his worlds, which only benefits the potential ranger. Hah.

Ramza00
2007-02-10, 12:08 AM
Well still try to get the spell compendium sometime, even if your DM will only allow it for the paladin/ranger but not the druid/wizard/cleric. There are some really good archery spells in there.

Find the Gap+Power Shot (Peerless archer)+Multishot=FUN and this was before the new Ranger/Scout skirmisher with Greater Manyshot and Swift Hunter.

nivek1234
2007-02-10, 03:24 AM
You could also use/modify the Hail of Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.htm#hailofArrows) feat that the arcane archer gains at level 8.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-10, 08:14 AM
The arrow storm spell only allows you to fire a number of arrows equalt to your caster level (or maybe your level, I misremember).

Rigeld2
2007-02-10, 10:37 AM
Character Level. So, its cool, but not amazing.

Dr. Weasel
2007-02-10, 02:20 PM
I'm afraid I can't understand this feat: You gain the ability to shoot arrows really really fast so long as your incredibly speedily shots aim at a different target every time.
Balance is not the problem, balance should be fine, rationalization of this feat is the problem.
I'd say stick with greater manyshot because even it makes more sense than this would.

Or, to maybe for a bit more plausibility, a high level feat that lets arrows pass through multiple opponents if they are considerate enough to line up for you (this probably is already a feat, but I am not familiar with it)?