PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bard Barbarian Gestalt!

GoblinToof
2014-04-26, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, GoblinToof here.

I'm looking at building a Bard/Barbarian for a pathfinder + 3.0 game in the near future. I have so many options it's making me a little buggy. Basically everything is allowed. EVERYTHING.

What I'm looking for are some build suggestions and general advice on how to play a character like this! My friend suggested making a Bardbarian build on side A, and synthesist summoner on side B (mostly because of ridiculous ability bonuses, natural armor, increased HP etc.. )

What do you fine Gents think of that suggestion?

Some important things to note: my DM made his own custom races that are wonderfully broken, no joke. So I'd be a fool not to take them. Here's the one I was looking at:

Something Something Roleplay Appropriate -

Mechanical Benies:

+4 Str, +2Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Wis
* 5 foot Reach
*Darkvision
* Base land speed 50’
Desert born Feats Endurance ,Run (Improved unarmed strike)
*+2 natural Armor
*+2 bonus on Perception and Stealth skills.+2 additional to stealth in desert areas. Perform (Dance) as class skill.

Yikes! No LA, no nuthin'! This race is nuts. So yeah, imma snap that up. Ability score generation is 3d6 drop lowest or 32 point buy.

What I'm going for is a third level build that can kick a lot of wizard boo-tay. According to the GM, once I hit third level I will be forced to square off against other spellcasters (just one I think) in a crazy mage duel of Epic Consequence (TM)

We will be given between one and three rounds (i'm going to plan for one) to prepare before the fight starts. The only rule is to "disable" the enemy caster. Probably start reasonably close to one another (under 60ft I'm guessing)

I love Bards. I love smashing things. I've heard that Arcane Strike is a sweet feat to throw in, and I've also been advised to throw in some DragonFire Inspiration shenanigans. But I'm feeling overwhelmed!

I'm in over my head!

Can the board suggest anything to help me out?

I'd be super grateful!
Thanks!

GoblinTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF!

Aergoth
2014-04-26, 08:59 AM
As weird as this is going to sound, take Urban Barbarian (Archetype) and Dervish Dancer (Bard Archetype) on one half of your gestalt. You get Dance as a class skill anyways. The Dervish Dancer is basically a self-buffing bard that runs off of Perform (Dance), and Urban Barbarian lets you use mental stat based skills in addition to choosing where your rage bonus goes.

You can use Dervish Dancer to enter Dragon Disciple and become a terrifying abomination to man and beast. Not sure how your DM is on prestige classes in gestalt builds, but there's that. Stacking the whole business with Synthesist once you reach your desired levels of Barbardian could work out really well.

Yanisa
2014-04-26, 09:05 AM
I don't think Bard and Barbarian have much synergy for multiclassing. They do however have better gestalt synergy (full bab, full save, sadly casting and rage don't mix at all). And with all sources open there might be some 3.5 PrC floating around. to mix and match Bard + Barbarian, but I can't remember one at the moment.

However I can also advise you to try to play one of two classes from the Advanced Class Guide [Playtest] (http://paizo.com/products/btpy92zi?Pathfinder-Roleplaying-Game-Advanced-Class-Guide-Playtest) which include the Skald, which is a mashup of Bard/Barbarian and inspires rage in allies trough song. There is also the Bloodrager, who is Sorcerer/Barbarian mashup, but you might be able to convert the Bardic bloodline (Maestro) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/maestro-bloodline) PF sorcerers can get. Just two ideas to consider.

GoblinToof
2014-04-29, 11:46 AM
I like both of your ideas, I can definitely see the benefit of both of those builds. I don't have access to the ACG yet, so I will have to pass on Bloodrager and Skald.

The dervish build sounds very powerful if I just want to be the singularly best that I can be, but I'm actually more into increasing bonuses for my team, not just myself. Same for the archeologist. As awesome as those sound, I would rather spread bonuses around than hog them for myself.

Any ideas on how to do that better?

GoblinToof
2014-04-29, 11:49 AM
I forgot to mention that I am allowed to prestige with 3rd edition stuff or Pathfinder stuff if I want. So one of the routes I was considering was prestiging into Sublime Chord.