PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Assassin

Blackhawk748
2014-04-26, 08:55 AM
I will be joining a Red Hand of Doom campaign in the near future and one of my character ideas was a goblin assassin (think of it more as a fighting style, not his profession) My original idea was Ranger 4 (Distracting Attack)/Rogue 1/Assassin 10, then i actually read the Distracting Attack paragraph and i cant benefit from my own bonus, so no infinite ranged sneak attack. I still want to use some combination of Rogue and Ranger as i rarely play a character with so many skill points and i haven't played an Assassin in a while ( i do like that PrC) so i need a bit of help.

The basic concept is as follows; He wields a Crossbow, he engages the enemy at extreme ranges, and hes a slippery little bugger. Also i plan on having him make his own Wondrous Items, yes im gonna make some item of Snipers Shot. Me and my DM have discussed this and have come to the conclusion some time ago that no Assassin would ever make this and sell it (for anything short of triple the price) so i need to make them myself.

Thats about it, as always thanks for the assist.

Warlocknthewind
2014-04-26, 01:06 PM
Hit & Run Sneak Attack Thug Fighter 3/ Martial Rogue 2/ Stonedeath Assasin x

Take Hand Crossbow focus, Crossbow Sniper, and at TWF

That nets you Dex to damage vs FF foes, 1/2 Dex all other times, at least 3 SA dice, 60' for said sneak attack, free action reloads, and a decent BAB

Stonedeath Assasin is from Races of Stone, it's the only goblin only class that fits perfectly

mabriss lethe
2014-04-26, 08:51 PM
seconding Stonedeath Assassin.

Coidzor
2014-04-26, 09:13 PM
Stonedeath Assassin while potentially nice in several of the key locations in RHOD seems a bit overly focused to deal with the variety of challenges in RHOD.

Also, while there's a couple of times where being able to kill from extreme ranges is rather handy, it's going to be problematic pulling that off for the majority of the adventure, so you're going to be obligated to have another schtick in close quarters and against things you can't sneak attack. Penetrating strike or similar may be of interest to you. And even in those places where you *can* engage at extreme range, you'll need to work out with your fellow players how to actually capitalize upon that as a group in all likelihood.

Sniper's Shot is a Ranger, Wizard/Sorcerer, and Assassin spell from what I've been able to gather, so you shouldn't *have* to make it yourself simply because "no Assassin would make it."

Warlocknthewind
2014-04-26, 10:10 PM
Use a bayonet(s) from complete scoundrel, boom, melee/ranged transparency.

I also recommend dipping a single level of warlock for the Darkness invocation, and taking the feat Meld Into Shadow from Drow of the Underdark for a usable Hide in Plain Sight in combat, so's to keep goes FF for SA + Dex to damage. Not to mention a ranged touch attack if you run out of ammunition.

Coidzor
2014-04-27, 12:19 AM
Warlock is also useful for Spiderclimb in several places, especially for ranged characters.