PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's mom still alive?

NihhusHuotAliro
2014-04-26, 09:39 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0305.html

grandpheonix
2014-04-26, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure it was just his gramps that died

Edit: in comic 375 it just mentions his gramps. Assuming it would tell him first that his mom bit it.

Keltest
2014-04-26, 10:22 AM
There is no in-comic evidence for her being either alive or dead. That said, if his gramp just died, she is most likely still alive, assuming she didn't go and get herself killed somewhere.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-26, 06:05 PM
I'll bet alive, for now.

Sylian
2014-04-26, 07:24 PM
There is no in-comic evidence for her being either alive or dead.Durkon seemed to believe that she's alive, and the letter from the High Priest didn't mention her, so chances are she's alive, unless she's died since then. It's not conclusive evidence, but it's the likeliest explanation. Besides, from a story perspective, wouldn't it be more interesting to see her killed on-screen than off-screen?

Keltest
2014-04-26, 07:59 PM
Durkon seemed to believe that she's alive, and the letter from the High Priest didn't mention her, so chances are she's alive, unless she's died since then. It's not conclusive evidence, but it's the likeliest explanation. Besides, from a story perspective, wouldn't it be more interesting to see her killed on-screen than off-screen?

Probably, but since were doing the whole flashback thing, Durkon can witness his mother's traumatic death before he left the dwarven lands and still have it be on screen.

Also, are you aware that you basically said "Shes probably alive, unless shes not."?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-26, 08:23 PM
Probably, but since were doing the whole flashback thing, Durkon can witness his mother's traumatic death before he left the dwarven lands and still have it be on screen.

If she is dead, this is probably how we'll see it. As I said, I think it's more likely she's alive, but we shall have to wait to find out.

DaggerPen
2014-04-27, 05:33 AM
... huh. I only just noticed that that letter specifies his "ma" in there. All this time I'd thought that she wasn't included, implying that she was in fact dead, but given that + no death notification in the letter that we saw makes me think that she is probably alive after all.

fan4battle
2014-04-27, 07:20 AM
Good catch, so she's alive then, and she will be instrumental in his breaking free of the evil spirit's control.

theinsulabot
2014-04-27, 07:49 AM
Good catch, so she's alive then, and she will be instrumental in his breaking free of the evil spirit's control.

you seem rather certain. I would be just as inclined to think the HPoF will end up killing her to kickstart his confrontation with the order.

or maybe it turns out she recently died after all and it depresses durkon while trapped in his mind, leading to the HPoH finding it easier to control him. or maybe belkar starts dating her because they are both short barbarians.

plenty of possibilities

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-27, 08:34 AM
... huh. I only just noticed that that letter specifies his "ma" in there. All this time I'd thought that she wasn't included, implying that she was in fact dead, but given that + no death notification in the letter that we saw makes me think that she is probably alive after all.
Well, he hasn't seen his mother in over 17 years, so it is possible she died in the mean time. I'd just like to point out that possibility, although I think her being alive is likely as well.

you seem rather certain. I would be just as inclined to think the HPoF will end up killing her to kickstart his confrontation with the order.

or maybe it turns out she recently died after all and it depresses durkon while trapped in his mind, leading to the HPoH finding it easier to control him. or maybe belkar starts dating her because they are both short barbarians.

plenty of possibilities
Durkon's mother is a Barbarian? And dating Belkar removes her from the equation?

Vladier
2014-04-27, 09:41 AM

And the mutual disgust felt by both Durkon and the High Priest of Hel concerning this unlikely union will be the catalyst for their bonding, leading to the High Priest's eventual epiphany about the error of his ways and his peaceful cohabitation and joint control over body with Durkon.

theinsulabot
2014-04-27, 08:59 PM
Durkon's mother is a Barbarian? And dating Belkar removes her from the equation?

that was just a joke.

A while back someone on the forum a question was raised what class would Durkon's mom be if she wasn't just commoner or whatever, and one guy hypothesized due to her clearly having gotten into some scraps in her time, being tough as nails, and her moving really quickly to catch the guy that fell she might have been a barbarian. The idea always struck me as oddly plausible, if not conclusive, so when my original joke about belkar liking short women seemed to be lacking something, I through it in on a whim.

obviously its dead now since I had to explain it, so what, do we split the XP or do you get all of it?

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-04-27, 09:08 PM
that was just a joke.

A while back someone on the forum a question was raised what class would Durkon's mom be if she wasn't just commoner or whatever, and one guy hypothesized due to her clearly having gotten into some scraps in her time, being tough as nails, and her moving really quickly to catch the guy that fell she might have been a barbarian. The idea always struck me as oddly plausible, if not conclusive, so when my original joke about belkar liking short women seemed to be lacking something, I through it in on a whim.

obviously its dead now since I had to explain it, so what, do we split the XP or do you get all of it?

I saw that thread. I think I may have participated on it. I'm just questioning why you seemed so certain that Durkon's mom was a Barabarian when that is your only evidence. The joke died long ago.