PDA

View Full Version : Full Caster PrC for Cleric of Nerull

Erritu
2014-04-26, 10:27 AM
I have a player in our group that is looking for a PrC but is running into issues finding a full caster PrC that he meets requirements for. He is a True Neutral cleric for Nerull. Ideas? Our DM is pretty flexible so homebrew ideas are plausible.

GilesTheCleric
2014-04-26, 12:42 PM
Church Inquisitor (CD), Contemplative (CD), Divine Disciple (PGtF), Morninglord of (Lathander) (PGtF), Nightcloak (CD web), Radiant Servant of (Pelor) (CD), Sacred Exorcist (CD), Thaumaturgist (DMG), Justicar of (Tyr) (PGtF), Singer of Concordance (RotD), True Necromancer (LM).

Hopefully he can qualify for at least one of those.

Ikeren
2014-04-26, 01:28 PM
I also like Divine Orcale (Complete Divine) for Evasion in full plate and acting in all surprise rounds at 10th.

Zombulian
2014-04-26, 05:54 PM
I also like Divine Orcale (Complete Divine) for Evasion in full plate and acting in all surprise rounds at 10th.

This as well. Divine Oracle is the business. Paired with Contemplative could be pretty neat as well. As Contemplative has the requirement of having met with or had a vision of your deity, and that could be the reason that the character got his supernatural prediction abilities.

Ellowryn
2014-04-26, 06:19 PM
By "Issues" do you mean with finding classes within a limited group of source books or finding one that fits the flavor of his character? The answer should give us the ability to give a more distinct answer. As GilesTheCleric pointed out there are dozens of full progression caster PrC's, even more than what he has listed, so recommendations are kinda hard to give now.

Urpriest
2014-04-26, 08:29 PM
Church Inquisitor (CD), Contemplative (CD), Divine Disciple (PGtF), Morninglord of (Lathander) (PGtF), Nightcloak (CD web), Radiant Servant of (Pelor) (CD), Sacred Exorcist (CD), Thaumaturgist (DMG), Justicar of (Tyr) (PGtF), Singer of Concordance (RotD), True Necromancer (LM).

Hopefully he can qualify for at least one of those.

Well, he certainly can't qualify for Church Inquisitor, Morninglord, Radiant Servant, Sacred Exorcist, Justicar, Singer of Concordance, or True Necromancer.

Contemplative and Divine Oracle, as mentioned, are fine, if bland choices. Thaumaturgist is kind of tricky, for one it might be tricky to find an appropriate planar cohort. Divine Disciple may be of interest. If you're looking for something more direct, while it loses a caster level Master of Shrouds is pretty cool for this sort of character.

Incidentally, it's not all that clear that you're allowed to be True Neutral with a NE deity, but there's at least one interpretation of the rules that allows it so I assume you're using that.

Ikeren
2014-04-27, 03:29 PM
Incidentally, it's not all that clear that you're allowed to be True Neutral with a NE deity, but there's at least one interpretation of the rules that allows it so I assume you're using that.

I thought clerics had to be within 1 step of their deities and that this was straightfoward?

And when you're limited to full casting + evil, you're down to "bland". We could get into bizarre partial dips if we wanted...but divine orcale + contemplative is a solid pairing for a caster-styled cleric. And you can flavour up the fluff as you please.

Andezzar
2014-04-27, 04:15 PM
I thought clerics had to be within 1 step of their deities and that this was straightfoward?
That is straight forward, but there is an additional rule:
A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.This unfortunately is not so clear cut. The intention of the rule probably is to say that a cleric can only be neutral on both alignment axes (previously less ambiguously called True Neutral) if his deity is neutral on both alignment axes as well.

The less strict interpretation is that a cleric can only have a neutral component in his alignment, if his deity also has a neutral component in its alignment.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 04:40 PM
Yeah, that statement's kind of nondescript. Technically, Nerull (being NE) is Neutral on one axis, and it doesn't say how Neutral a character can/can not be. It might be a way of saying that, if imagined as a 3x3 square, any corner alignment by strict D&D 3.5 is technically one step away from his own alignment (though I know that's very likely not how this works at all) so to prevent that line of thinking, you can't be neutral unless your deity is neutral is almost a blind stumbling drunk way of making sure we don't have TN clerics of any LG, LE, CG, or CE deities.

Maybe. That's the only way I can explain a very vague rule.

Andezzar
2014-04-27, 05:04 PM
There are 9 alignments according to the PHB: Lawful Good, Neutral Good, Chaotic Good, Lawful Neutral, Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil.
Only one of them actually is Neutral, even though five have of them have neutral in their name.

The confusion is due to the incomplete text in the SRD. The PHB makes it clear that Neutral is the True Neutal of previous editions:
Additionally, a cleric may not be neutral (that is, neutral on both the good–evil axis and the lawful–chaotic axis) unless his deity is neutral.

Ikeren
2014-04-28, 12:32 AM
Ah, that's cool, never noticed that before.

Erritu
2014-04-28, 11:57 AM
Sorry for the late reply.

Our DM has interpreted and allowed for a couple sessions now that he can both have Nerull as his deity and be true N The character is being played as a cleric who utilizes death to "keep the balance" and focuses on balancing good/evil law/chaos as his main drive. As death is his main means of executing this mission, Nerull has allowed him to become one of his clerics. Whether that is right or makes sense, im not in a place to say. DM gave the green light so here we go. That being said he may also allow a looser interpretation of a PrC class that fits the description with a Alignment that is one-off.

Next time we get together i'll bring up the divine orcale + contemplative combo and see what he thinks. I don't know enough to say whether or not its an excellent choice or not. Thanks for the help.