PDA

View Full Version : Can you have multiple same enhancements on a weapon?

RoboEmperor
2014-04-26, 11:21 AM
I'm talking about 9 flaming enhancements, or 9 shocking enhancements.

If not, do flaming and flameburst stack? (for a +2d6 fire damage per hit)

Oh and would a flaming bow and flame arrow stack?

EisenKreutzer
2014-04-26, 11:24 AM
No named bonuses stack with themselves. If you get +2 fire damage from one sorce, and +2 fire damage from another source, you get +2 fire damage, not +4.

RoboEmperor
2014-04-26, 11:27 AM
No named bonuses stack with themselves. If you get +2 fire damage from one sorce, and +2 fire damage from another source, you get +2 fire damage, not +4.

Where does it say that? :(

Blackhawk748
2014-04-26, 11:29 AM
I've always allowed it, i mean if someone wants a +1 triple flaming sword im not gonna stop them, though the Red Dragon may think its funny

Pinkie Pyro
2014-04-26, 11:39 AM
I've always allowed it, i mean if someone wants a +1 triple flaming sword im not gonna stop them, though the Red Dragon may think its funny

exactly, most of the time, letting things stack helps the mundanes.

who is helped more by the belt of +4 strength: the fighter, or the wizard who no longer has to cast bull's strength on him every fight?

Phelix-Mu
2014-04-26, 11:49 AM

Is this true? I've been away from my books a bit, but I don't think "fire" is actually a bonus type. Pretty sure it's not on the list of bonuses in the DMG. Do you have a source for that?

Plus, it sounds like the thing from the same source might be true (flaming doesn't stack with flaming), but the second part makes it sound like any two sources of fire damage don't stack, which doesn't sound true.

EisenKreutzer
2014-04-26, 12:16 PM
Is this true? I've been away from my books a bit, but I don't think "fire" is actually a bonus type. Pretty sure it's not on the list of bonuses in the DMG. Do you have a source for that?

Plus, it sounds like the thing from the same source might be true (flaming doesn't stack with flaming), but the second part makes it sound like any two sources of fire damage don't stack, which doesn't sound true.

You are probably right, "fire damage" is probably not a descriptor in the same sense as "insight bonus" or "competence bonus."

Yanisa
2014-04-26, 12:47 PM
You are probably right, "fire damage" is probably not a descriptor in the same sense as "insight bonus" or "competence bonus."

A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll.

So a +1d6 fire is not a modifier, it's adding an extra die. So from that aspect it stacks.
I don't see any rule against it, but I don't feel it's not the intend. Weapons get named after the enchant. A fire sword is a +1 Flaming Sword after all, and it would be odd to name it +1 Flaming Flaming Sword. :smalltongue: (Or a +1 Flaming Flaming Burst Sword)
Then gain I would allow it, because who cares. Whether you go four different types of energy damage or four the same, it is all similar and going the same would make a character only weaker.

Also say if it was a modifier, like +2 fire, it would fall under the same source rule. (As in modifiers from the same source won't stack.)

tyckspoon
2014-04-26, 12:51 PM

I think this one falls under 'Multiple effects of different strength'. You don't stack your extra Flamings; you roll each one and take the best result of all the rolls. So you can multiply enchant an item with these abilities, but it pretty quickly stops giving any decent return for the cost.

(Flat bonus abilities just wouldn't stack at all, IMO, although I don't think it'd be an issue to let them.)