PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/Ranger help

Blackhawk748
2014-04-26, 11:39 AM
For whatever reason i have recently wanted to play some sort of Rogue/Ranger fusion however im not really seeing anything that meshes the two together in any appreciable way, which makes me kinda sad. So if anyone knows of some good feats or, even better, a PrC for a Rogue/Ranger itd be most appreciated.

Xerlith
2014-04-26, 12:50 PM
Have you taken a look at the Scout class? Skirmish is - almost - Sneak Attack-like precision damage and needs you to move.
The Swift Hunter feat lets you stack your scout and ranger levels for determining skirmish damage, as well as lets you deal precision damage to your favored enemies (so just pick undead, constructs and plants, be happy).

Scout4/Ranger16 is the all-time favorite.

To full-attack AND move, you need some kind of ability that allows you to do so. A Cloistered Cleric dip nets you turn undead, which you can use to power the Travel Devotion feat. So dip CCleric with the Travel and some non-scalling domain, then swap Travel and Knowledge domain powers for Devotion feats.

So Cloistered Cleric1/Scout4/Ranger 15. Or Scout3/Ranger16.

EDIT: There's also the Peerless Archer PrC. And the Justice of Weald and Woe.

Ozreth
2014-04-26, 01:06 PM
I wanted a ranger that was a little rogueish so I just took the first level of rogue for some sneak attack and all of the skills. But I'm a simple kinda player and that was fun enough for me :)

Seharvepernfan
2014-04-27, 11:44 AM
For whatever reason i have recently wanted to play some sort of Rogue/Ranger fusion however im not really seeing anything that meshes the two together in any appreciable way, which makes me kinda sad. So if anyone knows of some good feats or, even better, a PrC for a Rogue/Ranger itd be most appreciated.

The scout class is exactly that.

There's a few feats like swift hunter that let you kinda gestalt two classes. You could easily make one for rogue/ranger:

Silent Hunter
Prerequisites: Sneak attack 2d6, favored enemy, BAB +5
Benefit: You can add your rogue levels to your ranger levels to determine both the strength of your sneak attack ability and the strength of your favored enemy abilities.

There is the wilderness rogue alternate class from unearthed arcana that you'd probably be interested in.

The problem with finding a good "mesh" is that the ranger is already a "meshed" class; it's like a rogue/fighter/cleric (or druid) all mixed into one.

Kazudo
2014-04-27, 12:06 PM
I like Ranger 2/Scout 5/Rogue X.

Get Swift Ambusher and Swift Hunter, suddenly you've got full 20th level skirmish, roughly 13 or 14 levels of SA, and Skirmishes to Favored Enemies. Get Penetrating Strike, Improved Skirmish, and Craven and you're doing pretty darn swell.

EDIT: And if you can POSSIBLY eat a level of Barbarian for pounce, the extra precision damage combined with a TWF tree and, if you have the feats for it, the Lightning Aptitude Kukri cheese leads to being able to pretty much just run up and end someone's day.

A.A.King
2014-04-27, 12:15 PM
The question really is, what do you mean with "Ranger". Is it tracking? Then you only really need one level for the free feat. Is it the fighting style? Then you probably want two levels for the free Two-Weapon Fighting Feat. Is it the Animal Companion? Then you probably just want the "Wild Cohort" feat. If it comes to the skills and the feel then you probably want to look at "The Wilderness Rogue" variant or the "Scout" class. If it's the spells, then it will be difficult.

Either way you really need to define ranger as more then just the class.

What I personally see as a good Rogue/Ranger PrC class is "Whisperknife". It's only for halflings, but it is a great Prestige Class for rogues with a wilderness feel

Optimator
2014-04-27, 03:21 PM
You can also play around with the wilderness Rogue (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogueVariantWilderness Rogue) and the urban Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rangerVariantUrbanRang er) to varying degrees. Also, the Cityscape Web Enhancement (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has some neat ideas for Rogue-ing up other classes a bit.